'Ancient Indian Planes Could Travel From One Planet to Another'

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Aeroplanes existed in India 7,000 years ago and they travelled from one country to another and from one planet to another, the Indian Science Congress was told today in a controversial lecture that examined ancient aviation technology in the Vedas.

The hosting of the lecture, presented by Captain Anand J Bodas, a retired principal of a pilot training facility, had recently attracted criticism from some scientists who said it undermined the primacy of empirical evidence on which the 102-year-old Congress was founded.

The lecture was presented on the second day of the Congress under the aegis of Mumbai University as part of a symposium on 'Ancient Sciences through Sanskrit'.

Drawing upon the ancient Vedic texts to support the claim that there was flying technology in ancient India, Bodas said, "There is a reference of ancient aviation in the Rigveda."

He said Maharishi Bharadwaj spoke 7,000 years ago of "the existence of aeroplanes which travel from one country to another, from one continent to another and from one planet to another. He mentioned 97 reference books for aviation."

"History merely notes that the Wright brothers first flew in 1904," he said.

Bharadwaj, who authored the book Vimana Samhita, had written about various types of metal alloys used to build an aeroplane, Bodas said, adding, "Now we have to import aeroplane alloys. The young generation should study the alloys mentioned in his book and make them here,"

He also spoke of the "huge" aeroplanes which flew in ancient India. "The basic structure was of 60 by 60 feet and in some cases, over 200 feet. They were jumbo planes," he said.

"The ancient planes had 40 small engines. Today's aviation does not know even of flexible exhaust system," he said.

The ancient Indian radar system was called 'rooparkanrahasya'. "In this system, the shape of the aeroplane was presented to the observer, instead of the mere blimp that is seen on modern radar systems," he said.

:lol:

Bharadwaj's book mentioned a diet of pilots. It contained of milk of buffalo, cow and sheep for specific periods, Bodas said.

:borat:

The pilot's dress cloth came from vegetation grown underwater, he said.

An online petition by a scientist at the NASA research centre had demanded that the scheduled lecture be cancelled as it mixes mythology with science.

The comments by Bodas came a day after Union Minister for Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan told the Congress that Algebra and the Pythagoras' theorem both originated in India but the credit for these has gone to people from other countries.

Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA), which hosts the annual event, is a premier scientific organisation of India with a membership strength of more than 30,000 scientists. It was founded in 1914 with the objective to "advance and promote the cause of science in India."
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Free Karma @Mad Indian Your divine opinion on this.

Also I think I have posted this thread in the right section.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Heard at science meet: Ancient Indian planes flew to planets - The Times of India

MUMBAI: Indians had mastered aviation thousands of years before the Wright brothers, claimed a controversial paper presented at the 102nd Indian Science Congress here on Sunday.

Ancient aviation, as described by Maharshi Bharadwaja, was more advanced than modern day technology, said the paper presented by Captain Anand Bodas and Ameya Jadhav. "The knowledge of aeronautics is described in Sanskrit in 100 sections, eight chapters, 500 principles and 3,000 verses. In the modern day, only 100 principles are available," stated the paper.

Bodas said Maharishi Bharadwaj spoke 7,000 years ago of "aeroplanes which travel from one country to another, one continent to another and one planet to another. He mentioned 97 reference books for aviation."
'Sanskrit had a huge science repository'

"Indians had developed 20 types of sharp instruments and 101 blunt ones for surgeries, which largely resemble the modern surgical instruments. Vaikrutaapaham, retaining the original colour and texture of the skin after a surgery, is one of the seven post-operative treatment steps for abscess. The process is not so common in the modern surgical practices," said a paper presented at the 102nd Indian Science Congress in Mumbai on Sunday.Ancient Indian engineers had adequate knowledge of Indian botany and they effectively used it in their constructions, said professor of civil engineering from Nagpur, AS Nene, in his paper.

Most of the scholars who presented their papers on Sunday appealed to young Indian scientists and researchers to look at ancient Sanskrit literature and derive advanced methodologies from them.

Rajan Welukar, Mumbai University's vice-chancellor, said that "one should at least look at the Vedas, but need not accept it". Vijay Bhatkar, acclaimed Indian scientist, mentioned that "Indians are so used to the slave mentality that we will only need a foreign nation to acknowledge the vast source of information. Once they do it, we will follow".

Union minister Prakash Javadekar, the chief guest at the event, claimed that he usually starts his day by watching the news in Sanskrit. He said those interested in pursuing knowledge don't see what the source is, or how old it is. He said everything that is old may not be gold, but all that is old is also not a waste.Javadekar said the scientific community gathered at the Congress should pay attention to the source material available in Sanskrit and use it for betterment of humanity.

He wondered why when Germany could make use of ancient Indian concepts and adapt them to produce cutting edge inventions, India could not do so. He said India is lacking in innovation and research, but if the gaps are filled we can work and grow well.

The topic on ancient sciences was incorporated in the Science Congress for the first time on the insistence of Sanskrit scholars, said Gauri Mahulikar, head of the Sanskrit department, Mumbai University. "We believed that Sanskrit also had a huge science repository and it should be brought before the scientists. They should be open minded and not have an orthodox outlook to this literature. This is just a thought, it should be followed by a debate and then experimentation. We cannot do research as we are not scientists. That is why we appeal to the science fraternity to take this knowledge forward," said Mahulikar.

But the idea of 'pseudo-science' has not gone down well with academicians and scientists. An Indian scientist from the US, who attended the session out of curiosity, said, "Knowledge always grows, its flow never stops. So if all this knowledge was available in the ancient days, I need to know where it stopped. Why did it fail to grow? Why was there no advancement? When did it stop? I am not aware of the chronology of events, but I am definitely willing to learn more and find out."Another expert pointed out that a scientist always needs to be skeptical.

"If these texts and literatures were available, why was nothing put together using the ancient technology? If something was made in substance, it would have been easy to believe," he added.

An online petition started by a NASA scientist, which is signed by over 200 scientists, opposed one of the lectures in the larger context of increasing attempts in India to mix mythology with science, with the recent example of PM Narendra Modi calling Lord Ganesha a product of ancient India's knowledge of plastic surgery.
The petition said, "We as a scientific community should be seriously concerned about the infiltration of pseudo-science in science curricula with the backing of influential political parties."

DingDong

Country flag
I had a conversation with Dean Admin, IIT Madras in not-so-distant past on a different subject (I did not like the list of invitees in one particular conference being held in-campus). This is what he had to say (pasting verbatim between quotes without revealing the full content):

"I" remember a similar series when I was attending grad school in the US. One of the invited speakers was an inventor who essentially claimed to have invented a new kind of perpetual motion machine. Students attending this talk could learn how to develop a scientific skeptic outlook. Thats the idea.

Looney Science Talks on "Perpetual Motion Machine" are as unscientific as talks on "Ancient Indian Planes" in my opinion. Scientific temper must be equally applied in both cases.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I had a conversation with Dean Admin, IIT Madras in not-so-distant past on a different subject (I did not like the list of invitees in one particular conference being held in-campus). This is what he had to say (pasting verbatim between quotes without revealing the full content):

Looney Science Talks on "Perpetual Motion Machine" are as unscientific as talks on "Ancient Indian Planes" in my opinion. Scientific temper must be equally applied in both cases.
Pseudo science whether by non Indians or Indians can never be tolerated. Every country has its fare share of such pseudo science spewing people.

However what is disappointing in this case is that the person in question is a Captain. One wonders how he flies his ancient planes.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Indian sages were also great dramatists and thinkers. They thought about it and then wrote about these flying machines. They never implemented these projects but our intellectuals of this era take the word written by them out of their imagination, as Gospel.

DingDong

Country flag
Pseudo science whether by non Indians or Indians can never be tolerated. Every country has its fare share of such pseudo science spewing people.

However what is disappointing in this case is that the person in question is a Captain. One wonders how he flies his ancient planes.
Technology is not exactly "Science", it is an advanced form of craftsmanship. Invention requires lot of Conviction and Imagination. Science belongs to god (nature), Technology belongs to us, mere mortals.

These scientific people never raised their voice against Pseudo Science before, what is different this time?

jouni

I know that you are excellent of showing old Indian inventions and glorious kingdoms as a proof of "Indian Greatness", but isn't this a little too much. Try to make the Tejas ready first and concentrate on these planes later. Maybe Tejas project was also actually started already that time? Talk about long development period...

Reactions: Neo

Free Karma

If what is reported is true - then it's a bit sad. They might believe something, but for a science congress shouldve stuck to things that have proof.

Perhaps they couldve presented them as just designs to show that people were thinking of such machines even then. Like how Da Vinci's flying machines, greek steam pigeons from 400 bc are frequently presented in the "history of flight" as early designs/plans...though I dont think these have been verified (edit: it seems Da vinci's machines were built and tested, but most of them did not work, read in wiki)

I was actually quite happy when they decided to include ancient Indian science hoping they could highlight the contributions of Indians over the years, many of which are not known to the average person.

But on the other hand the media has been on a massive "vedic" bashing spree, even making fun of legit stuff like sushruta, (plastic surgery) etc :( this is equally terrible

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I know that you are excellent of showing old Indian inventions and glorious kingdoms as a proof of "Indian Greatness", but isn't this a little too much. Try to make the Tejas ready first and concentrate on these planes later. Maybe Tejas project was also actually started already that time? Talk about long development period...
@jouni and @Neo Sir,
Sorry dude I do not appreciate foreigners and others generalizing things related to India. India is a land of a billion souls. If one person says a ridiculous thing it doesn't mean everyone has to agree with that idea. We are not people who believe that one soldier can stop a thousand other soldiers through bravery. I had created this thread to show that majority Indians do not accept pseudo science. In fact there are countries where pseudo science is a part and parcel of everyday life.

(Psst: Like Arabs creating everything or the Koran/Bible containing scientific messages.)

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
Why only ancient Indians, I too can travel between planets. The other day I traveled between planet-1 ( Planet Fashion) to planet-2 ( Planet M) within 15 minutes.:cool2:

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Atleast read OP's emoticons if not his article.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
If what is reported is true - then it's a bit sad. They might believe something, but for a science congress shouldve stuck to things that have proof.

Perhaps they couldve presented them as just designs to show that people were thinking of such machines even then. Like how Da Vinci's flying machines, greek steam pigeons from 400 bc are frequently presented in the "history of flight" as early designs/plans...though I dont think these have been verified (edit: it seems Da vinci's machines were built and tested, but most of them did not work, read in wiki)

I was actually quite happy when they decided to include ancient Indian science hoping they could highlight the contributions of Indians over the years, many of which are not known to the average person.

But on the other hand the media has been on a massive "vedic" bashing spree, even making fun of legit stuff like sushruta, (plastic surgery) etc :( this is equally terrible
Agreed.

Indians have contributed vastly to fields like mathematics and medicine. Sadly instead of highlighting legitimate discoveries this man is peddling pseudo science. It seems his hidden agenda is to make us look like a bunch of illiterates. He is actually making mockery of Indian scientists and the long dead Indian sages

If one wants to know of India`s great discoveries then one should have a look into this things.

Sushruta Samhita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tower of Brahma

Tower of Hanoi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chess

Chess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(In fact the tower of Brahma one is really interesting and shows the deep thinking of our scientists.)

One really wonders how such a huge number like 2^64-1 could have been thought of by our ancient Indian sages.

There is a story about an Indian temple in Kashi Vishwanath which contains a large room with three time-worn posts in it surrounded by 64 golden disks. Brahmin priests, acting out the command of an ancient prophecy, have been moving these disks, in accordance with the immutable rules of the Brahma, since that time. The puzzle is therefore also known as the Tower of Brahma puzzle. According to the legend, when the last move of the puzzle will be completed, the world will end.
If the legend were true, and if the priests were able to move disks at a rate of one per second, using the smallest number of moves, it would take them 2^64−1 seconds or roughly 585 billion years[3] or 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 turns to finish, or about 127 times the current age of the sun.

:salute:

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Why only ancient Indians, I too can travel between planets. The other day I traveled between planet-1 ( Planet Fashion) to planet-2 ( Planet M) within 15 minutes.:cool2:
I found an ancient vimana puspaka and flew to Mars and Mercury where I met ancient tribal aliens. Sadly while returning I had an accident that left me with a terrible brain damage and I can no longer find my vimana.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
I found an ancient vimana puspaka and flew to Mars and Mercury where I met ancient tribal aliens. Sadly while returning I had an accident that left me with a terrible brain damage and I can no longer find my vimana.
Meh, you are still struck with old tech. You already have lost your 'vimana' otherwise I would have suggested you sell that off in OLX.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
And a random hippie in the middle-east could turn water to wine, and walk on water. Yup, some real Star Trek shit right there.
Creationists/Bible preachers /Koran preachers/Mullahs/babas all belong to the same group of thugs who brainwash people for their own gain. Fortunately majority of Indians do not believe in their claims/dreams.

As Aamir said in PK they are all wrong numbers.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
This shit has gone on far too long.

But I hope the media bashing these people (justifiably) does not deter people from carrying out research into real genuine ancient stuff. It would be great to figure out how Sushruta used to perform plastic surgery. I would love to have a scientific peer-reviewed study about Ayurvedic medicine. For example, turmeric (haldi) has several medicinal properties. A thorough scientific study needs to be carried out, research papers need to be published about the chemical composition of turmeric, how it reacts with the body, etc.

Whatever is said, needs to have thorough proof and documentation behind it. This shit of pulling crap out of one's backside needs to stop.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles