An open address to Muslims:

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Yusuf, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Got this on Facebook.

Dear Fellow Muslims,

You're living in the age of the Internet. Your religion will be mocked, and the mockery will find its way to you. Get over it.

If you don't, what's happening this week will happen again and again. A couple of idiots with a video camera and an Internet connection will trigger riots across the globe. They'll bait you into killing one another.

Stop it. Stop following their script.

Today, fury, violence, and bloodshed are consuming the Muslim world. Why?
    Because a bank fraud artist in California offered people $75 a day to come to his house and act out scenes that ostensibly had nothing to do with Islam. Then he replaced the audio, putting words in the actors' mouths, and stitched together the scenes to make an absurdly bad movie ridiculing the Prophet Mohammed. He put out flyers to promote the movie. Nobody -literally nobody-came
    to watch it.

He posted a 14-minute video excerpt of the movie on YouTube, but hardly anyone noticed. Then, a week ago, an anti-Muslim activist in Virginia reposted the video with an Arabic translation and sent the link to activists and journalists in Egypt. An Egyptian TV show aired part of the video. An Egyptian politician denounced it. Muslim Clerics, who have nothing better to do, sounded the alarm. Through Facebook and Twitter, protesters were mobilized to descend on the U.S. embassy in Cairo. The uprising spread. The U.S. ambassador to Libya has been killed, and violence has engulfed other countries.

When the protests broke out, the guy who made the movie claimed to be an Israeli Jew funded by other Jews. That turned out be a lie. Now he says he's a Coptic Christian, even though Coptic Christian leaders in Egypt and the United States despise the movie and want nothing to do with him. Another guy who helped make
    the movie claims to be a Buddhist. The movie was made in the United States, yet Sudanese mobs have attacked British and German embassies. Some Egyptians targeted the Dutch embassy, mistakenly thinking the Netherlands was behind the
    movie. Everyone's looking for a group to blame and attack.

The men behind the movie said it would expose Islam as a violent religion. Now they're pointing to the riots as proof. Muslims are "pre-programmed" to rage and kill, says the movie's promoter. "Islam is a cancer," says the director.
    According to the distributor, "The violence that it caused in Egypt is further evidence of how violent the religion and people are and it is evidence that everything in the film is factual."

Congratulations, rioters. You followed the script perfectly. You did the propagandists' work for them.

And the provocations won't end here. Laws and censors won't protect you from them. Liberal democracies allow freedom of expression. Our leaders and people condemn garbage like this video, but we don't censor it. Even if we did, the diffusion of media technology makes suppression impossible. The director of this
    movie was forbidden, under his bank-fraud probation rules, from using computers or the Internet without approval. That didn't stop him. Nor did it stop the Arabic-language distributor from reposting the video and disseminating it abroad.

Online propaganda is speech. But it's also part of the global rise of lethal empowerment. It's easier than ever to kill people. In Muslim countries, mass murderers favor bombs. In the United States, they prefer guns. In Japan, they've tried sarin nerve gas. The Oklahoma City bomber used fertilizer. The Sept. 11 hijackers used box cutters and passenger planes. Then came the letters filled with anthrax.

Derision is that much harder to control. The spread of digital technology and Internet bandwidth makes it possible to reach every corner of the globe almost instantly with homemade video defaming any faith tradition. It can become an incendiary weapon. But it has a weakness: It depends on you. You're the detonator. If you don't cooperate, the bomb doesn't explode.

This isn't just a Muslim problem, though that's been the pattern lately. On YouTube, you can find videos insulting every religion on the planet: Jews, Christians, Hindus, Catholics, Mormons, Buddhists, and more. Some clips are ironic. Others are simply disgusting. Many were posted to bait one group into
    fighting another. The baiters are indiscriminate. The promoter of the Mohammed movie founded a group that also protests at Mormon temples.

The hatred and bloodshed will go on until you stop taking the bait. Mockery of your prophet on a computer with an Internet address somewhere in the world can no longer be your master. Nor can the puppet clerics who tell you to respond with violence. Lay down your stones and your anger. Go home and pray. God is too
    great to be troubled by the insults of fools. Follow Him.

Aziz Noorani

Ray, Mr.Ryu, blank_quest and 8 others like this.
  3. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

The Agenda of the film maker is PROVED by those rioters/killers.Muslims took the bait.

Well done Aziz Noorani, your last line is the key... it indeed made sense but the question is... would those idiotic blind followers would understand? Are they intelligent enough?

prahladh likes this.
  4. Yusuf

If you look at it at face value, youd say none are intelligent enough. But there are 1.5 billion muslims across the globe. I dont think all of them took to the streets.

1% of 1.5 billion is 15 million and 0.1% is 1.5 million. How many took to the streets and what percentage they make up is the question.

pmaitra and panduranghari like this.
  5. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Corollary to your question is why are other 99.9% quiet? They perhaps are giving passive support.

Mr.Ryu likes this.
  6. Yusuf

Often asked.. Seriously the 99.9% not supporting itself is the answer. But the thing is even 10,000 bad guys are enough to do a lot of damage..imagine if it goes to 1 or 10 million.. Though still small percentage wise, its a significant number of bad guys who can do a lot of damage.

When you say why the majority is silent, what do you want them to do? Fight the bad guys on the streets which means more violence? At best they will use media to voice their opposition.. Like this very thread and OP. But then being a moderate is not fashionable. It does not get TRPs and eyeballs or sells newspapers. Violence and extremism sells. That is why terrorists have used the media to get a lot of publicity and made it fashionable for a few to take to "jihad"

Virendra likes this.
  7. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

i myself didNt participated neither any of my friend as far as i know only the uneducated and mullah minded people participated and destroyed there own country causing billions of damage

Mr.Ryu likes this.
  8. panduranghari

Seriously the 99.9% not supporting itself is the answer

Try proving this assertion.

Deganga violence proves that even in the event of media blackout things go on. So clearly its BS that media is the reason for this.

Though in essence the small violent group can cause damage, I think the issue is also to do with politicians who encourage this behaviour. Unfortunately before you start saying it happens in all the religions, the problem inevitably is started by a certain section of a minority community. The day this minority becomes majority ( I would give in another 40 years), we have a completely different scenario.

The terrorist state of Pakistan and Bangladesh are just waiting for such an event to happen which their leaders know will come about as long as we have idiots who play vote bank politics.

But then being a moderate is not fashionable.

That statement is astounding. Nothing happens because its fashionable. This is not the stupid Hindi film industry. Who cares what is fashionable or not.

Listen you are an epitome of an ideal national. I only wish more were like you, this includes many Hindus who are also idiots. But the problem is not about who is how, its about who controls the discourse.

It is clearly unacceptable for Muslims to accept criticism of anything related to their religion. The religion may not expect this behaviour, which is what more many mullahs preach. But they clearly do not teach 'LESSONS' those who break rules. The government is complicit in this too. If the government comes down like a ton of bricks on them, will we see this? Do we see such protests in Saudi Arabia? No, the government punishes the rule breakers.

chase likes this.
  9. panduranghari

But the problem is most of your country is full of such mullah minded people

Mr.Ryu and maomao like this.
  10. Yusuf

The 99.9% was your figure who you questioned for being silent.

I will agree in the Indian context at least that the politicians have done a lot of damage. The congress especially has hurt the Muslim community more with appeasement than actually soon anything substantial to help them improve overall.

That there is intolerance in a section of the Muslim society is apparent. I think it has less to do with te religion but more with their frustrations overall. Some look for excuse to bash America. I mean te killin of the US ambassador to Libya was ridiculous as it was reprehensible. I mean what did the movie have to do with the entire US? But then citizens of countries like Pakistan are only looking for an excuse to protest against the US.

But then take heart that the pro govt Libyans went after the extremist militias soon after in Benghazi. So if you are looking for "action" then that should please you. But then I am not too thrilled with the Arab spring which has brought up Wahabi minded people as we see in Egypt. Tough times ahead and this time thanks to bad geopolitics from the west.

11. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

That 0.1% also is too much, here I don't think that much of population was involved, but it's a fact that these small number of Fanatics have created a havoc! As it is said "One dirty fish can contaminate a pond" these rioters were enough to create a law and order problem all over the world. And I think that kind of people should be strictly dealt with force, they simply can not hide behind the label of "religious conservatism". Internet is full of anti-religious videos, not only Islam but Hinduism, Christianity and others are also systematically being targeted by such videos, but I don't see any other rioting, like Muslims, the time has come for the Muslims to revive their medieval methods and rigidity before it gets too late and the whole world turns against Islam in general.

Although it would be wrong to compare Law with the religion but I see Govt. repealed the POTA, there was no flaws in the legislation itself but some authorities were misusing it, more than that Congress tried to save its vote bank to appease Muslims by repealing it, now you see Islamic texts are widely being misused historically, can we repeal them ? no, but there is one thing we can do is to make it flexible through proper interpretation and active condemnation of its misuse, by Islamic scholars and others as well, but here any amount of criticism is taken up by extremists as an opportunity to radicalise the good and tolerant people. Unfortunately they are succeeding in it. If this fashion of rioting and stone pelting continues then I fear Muslims will be facing a very bad time all over the world, and even they will extinct from some of the countries.

Hence I agree with OP that Muslims should change themselves and shouldn't pay attentions to such incidents as by reacting violently they are supporting the widespread belief that "Islam is intolerant"!

12. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

What a lot of people don't understand is, that this is the kind of opportunity "takfiris "relish.

For eg.
    1. In Libya, Muslim brotherhood-esque organizations attacked US embassy ; nobody showed the protests by normal Libyans condemning this attack.
    2. In Pakistan, it was a show of strength by religious organizations prior to elections, and to influence in the public. In Karachi, rival ethnic political organizations decided to fight it out.
    3. In Yemen, it was again a chance for Takfiris to show their strength.

So some people protesting might be genuinely hurt, or exercising their right to protest. But this was a bigger opportunity for RW Takfiris to take charge, and also adopt the tag of "thekedari".

13. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

This is one key point that needs to be continuously conveyed to the "raging" Muslim youth. The most damage incurred is to themselves. They essentially keep tripping on their own foot and land on their face again and again.

One of the ideas that inflames the Muslim world is that Americans live a great lifestyle in their cushy bubble of ignorance while Muslims live in shabby conditions and have to deal with getting bombed. Yes, there is certainly some truth to this, but it's not the primary reason. What these people fail to understand is that a large part of the poverty in the Muslim world comes from within. Violent rioting not only results in monetary losses but it also nullifies the rule of law. The reason America is prosperous is because it maintains the rule of law.

A chauhan likes this.
  14. farhan_9909

and this is only because you have never been to Pakistan

i Am sure you wont agree as you might believe in media alot as does most of your friend on this forum

15. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

we dont need to be in pakistan,

we get news from pak,and western media. after that i feel i can travel to somalia but not pakistan

16. farhan_9909

agreed
    but this is bound to change with education

such as t.e above mentioned cases are very rare in countries like turkey,Malaysia and other such Muslims countries with high literacy rate

May be it will take 1 or 2 decade more to muslims countries to have 95%-100% literacy rate

17. farhan_9909

right
    as said before
    you guys believe in media too much.
    Proved

18. Blackwater

i dont think so. arabs does not want to educate their public. proof is today inspite of oil money still arabs world has least doctors,engg,IT,teachers,nurses,bankers etc etc

19. Blackwater

so who else we should believe??? zardari or osama

You just say foreign and paki media are shit ,than its not u its ur madrasa education and jihad speaking

20. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Youtube is full of videos of Pakistani Mullahs preaching hatred against Hindus and India in general, How the issue of J&K is propagandised is not a secrete. The death of two militants becomes the death of 10 innocent Kashmiris in their speeches while the majority of militants are lured and trained in Pakistan. BTW if you don't believe in media then from where do you get the informations ?

21. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

One fails to understand the silence of this so called peaceful sections of the islamic world. Why are they not able to leash their radical dogs? Surely, every other religion has done it. Why would Islam be an exception? Why do we never see pseudo secular muslims in India like we see in the case of Hindus. And I absolutely agree with Pandu sir, Yusuf bhai is an ideal national. Irrespective of religion and other superficial classifications that society cloisters itself in, everyone should try and emulate him.