An India China battle going on Right now

trackwhack

As we lord the internet and try to go one up on each others forums, there is a real battle going on right now.

Hou Yifan is defending her World Championship title against Koneru Humpy. The first two games of the 10 game match were pressing draws with Humpy making all the attacking moves and Yifan defending solidly.

Yifan is the reigning Champion while Humpy is the higher rated player. Both are wonderful players though Yifan's style is more result oriented and Humpy is more of a passive player.

If anyone is interested, you can follow the games on Chessvibes or Chessdom. The next game is set for Thursday.

Lets hope for some nice chess and an Indian win :)

All the while our very own Andy V is still the king of chess :) :) :)

satish007

acha kaam, bahuth acha, India and China have smartest women in the world and Viswanathan Anand also proves India has smartest men in the world. why India and China can not stay peace and do business together. Is the Buddhist place so important?

trackwhack

Hey Satish, how is it that you have a South Indian name, a Sikh avatar and a Chinese flag in you ID? :)

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
^^^^^ Satish is not particularly a South Indian name it can be found everywhere!

trackwhack

Koneru blew a brilliant attacking position, got into time trouble and lost through repeated blunders. She is 1-2 down after three games. This will be a big psychological blow as she clearly had the upper hand. She spent too much time and panicked.:tsk:

Hope she recovers from this shocking performance.

trackwhack

Thats it ... Repeat of Game three. Winning position to time trouble to blunders and lost. Koneru down 2-4 after 6 games. Its over. Sad day for Indian Chess.

I doubt Humpy has it in her to beat Hou ever. Hou just seems to have a huge psychological edge over her.

Congrats to Hou and China.

pi314159

Just watched endgame of Game 7 live. Congrats to Ms. Hou. Off-topic: Go and Chinese chess are the most popular board games in China. I myself am a Go player. Go is also the most popular game played in Japan (called Igo) and Korea (Baduk). Wonder is there anyone in India play it? It packs a lot of fun and addictive, I assure you:) For armchair strategists, playing go can bring you a bonus: it helps you better understand the way Chinese strategists think.

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Just watched endgame of Game 7 live. Congrats to Ms. Hou. Off-topic: Go and Chinese chess are the most popular board games in China. I myself am a Go player. Go is also the most popular game played in Japan (called Igo) and Korea (Baduk). Wonder is there anyone in India play it? It packs a lot of fun and addictive, I assure you:) For armchair strategists, playing go can bring you a bonus: it helps you better understand the way Chinese strategists think.
Similar to Chess?
I'd like to give it a try....

RedDragon

Similar to Chess?
Totally different, all piece in Go is the same. And the rule of GO is very simple. Below is the description of Go of Wiki:

Go ("weiqi" in Chinese, "igo" in Japanese, "baduk" in Korean), is an ancient board game for two players that originated in China more than 2,000 years ago. The game is noted for being rich in strategy despite its relatively simple rules.

The game is played by two players who alternately place black and white stones on the vacant intersections (called "points") of a grid of 19×19 lines (beginners often play on smaller 9×9 and 13×13 boards). The object of the game is to use one's stones to surround a larger portion of the board than the opponent. Once placed on the board, stones cannot be moved, though they can be removed if they are captured. When a game concludes, the controlled points (territory) are counted along with captured stones to determine who has more points. Games may also be won by resignation.

Go ("weiqi" in Chinese, "igo" in Japanese, "baduk" in Korean), is an ancient board game for two players that originated in China more than 2,000 years ago. The game is noted for being rich in strategy despite its relatively simple rules.

The game is played by two players who alternately place black and white stones on the vacant intersections (called "points") of a grid of 19×19 lines (beginners often play on smaller 9×9 and 13×13 boards). The object of the game is to use one's stones to surround a larger portion of the board than the opponent. Once placed on the board, stones cannot be moved, though they can be removed if they are captured. When a game concludes, the controlled points (territory) are counted along with captured stones to determine who has more points. Games may also be won by resignation.

It has been claimed that Go is the most complex game in the world due to its vast number of variations in individual games. Its large board and lack of restrictions allow great scope in strategy and expression of players' individuality. Decisions in one part of the board may be influenced by an apparently unrelated situation in a distant part of the board. Plays made early in the game can shape the nature of conflict a hundred moves later.

The game complexity of Go is such that describing even elementary strategy fills many introductory books. In fact, numerical estimates show that the number of possible games of Go far exceeds the number of atoms in the known universe.[nb 14]

pi314159

Similar to Chess?
They are very different, as RedDragon explained above. To get your hands on it, you may try KGS Go Server. KGS is an international Go Server. There you can play Go 24/7, play with any level of opponent, and most players there speak English. You may start with reading KGS Go Tutorial first.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Go is more like conquest of space rather taking each other down in chess..

pi314159

Go is more like conquest of space rather taking each other down in chess..
The goal of chess is to capture your opponent's king. Instead, Go is about to capture territory. In the end of game, the one who has more territory wins. What you gain is what your opponent's loss, so it is by nature a zero-sum game. Like any zero-sum game, fight for territory can be cutting-throat-like brutal. But top ranked professionals usually prefer to win a game through accumulating tiny edge over the opponent in every move rather than fighting an uncontrollable life-or-death battle. Does it sound like what Sunzi taught us in his 'The Art of War"? :)

trackwhack

Congrats to World Champion Hou Yifan. With a draw in game 8, she retains the title of World Champion. Koneru Humpy got the beaten brutally. Hope she goes back and trains hard to challenge for the title again. But now it is time to celebrate the genius of 17 year old Hou. One of the best Over the Board players in womens chess. Congrats!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles