An Anglo-Indian insurance policy

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ladder, May 20, 2014.

1. ladder

ladder Senior Member Senior Member

An Anglo-Indian insurance policy - The Hindu

======================

When there is a debate on the fact that this 16th Lok Sabha has the minimum number of Muslim MP's. And some even suggesting nomination type representation in our LS. Advantage or disadvantage of such system aside, here is the president of such nomination system that we follow.

Also, the reason given and I quote

Why in the merit of it was not extended to 'siddis' of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Cause they also fit into Ananthasayanam Ayyangar's criteria.

==============================

Your comments please

@Singh, @pmaitra @Ray and all members of DFI.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

In deeply fractured societies like India there is a need for a power sharing form of Govt.

The specifics of implementation can be argued.

To further your argument :
    Why no representation for parsis, bahais, jews etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ladder

A counterpoint can be let I be a Christian and live in a predominantly Muslim neighborhood, with out any hopes of electing one from my community as ward member to the local municipality, should I ask for nominated representation in the municipality?

For if we aspire to be a welfare state, what is the need for representative of a particular community to be present at different legislative bodies to be heard?

5. Singh

Irrelevant.

Without a power sharing form of Government which promotes stability, we can't hope to exist.

India is perhaps the most diverse country in the world. One has to take that into account.

Nobody is falling for Jinnah trap.

6. Compersion

Compersion Senior Member Senior Member

If the two seats are for representing a small community even a "deeply fractured societies" it is better to appoint 1 person that represents and takes into account the views of all small community (like parsis, bahais, jews, indian chinese, anglo indians).

(on a separate note i though we already have such a position: Ministry of Minority Affairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The article ought to be discussed in a wider ambit of reform of nominated members by President in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha.

The Lok Sabha has 2 members that are nominated by President. The Anglo-Indian community is the only Indian community that has its own representatives nominated to the Lok Sabha (Lower House) in India's Parliament.

The Rajya Sabha has 12 seats that are directly nominated by President.

List of nominated members of Rajya Sabha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have no qualms against some of the members nominated but there are some that are absurd when if the process is nomination by the President there ought to be no such issues.

I personally would like to see the 2 anglo-indian community members abolished since they are no longer needed and it was more a case for transition after independence. I would like to see the 2 seats be given to the Armed forces (make it 3) and the armed forces would choose themselves (in a transparent manner) who these are. These would be for issues that are out of the purview of Defense Minister for example welfare of armed forces personnel. (on side note ** I also feel ex-Pms and ex-Presidents and ex-CJ ought to be automatically given RS seats for life - their viewpoint and reference is of high value).

Also the 12 seats of RS be split into specific areas and not open-ended ("literature, science, art and social service"). It would be better if they are more specific on 12 areas (for example ex-Pms and ex-Presidents and ex-CJ, Legal, Medicine, Environment ...).

Another option would be each (major) Ministry had a person nominated by President to offer overview (like a shadow minister - perhaps call it "Shadow Adviser".) A shadow minister is done by opposition and has a different role compared to a "Shadow Adviser" that might and can be apolitical.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    ladder likes this.
  7. ladder

Why irrelevant?

So, in 1947 they were nearly 5 lakh, and if they were concentrated in one constituency, they could have elected their choice able candidate.

Only because of their distribution of their population that it was felt they would not be able to elect their choice able member and so nomination representation was thought of.

So, where do you fault my analogy?

============================================================

Power sharing at what level? ( at all level ?)

So, how many communities do you think should get representational nomination?

How do you factor in the planning commission in such situation?

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Actually many communities/ caste/ religion are not represented in the manner in which our Democratic setup has been structured.

There is a requirement to change it, but the question is with every such move we are dividing ourselves into compartments.

Catch 22.

ladder and Abhijat like this.
  9. Abhijat

Abhijat Regular Member

When we reserve seats like these for some community only , doesn't it imply that the said person is only concern with his/her community welfare and holding community identity higher than other identity , and not complementary to national building i.e national identity. Shouldn't goal be of developing nation which helps in development of people .Or following current method of developing specific targeted community for developing nation ?

10. Singh

@ladder because only the parliament can change the constitution and make laws which have the greatest impact.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    ladder likes this.