americas India's ambassador Meera Shankar frisked at US airport

SHASH2K2

India's sari-clad ambassador was pulled from an airport security line and patted down by a TSA agent in Mississippi after attending a conference, an act one state agency official called "unfortunate." Meera Shankar, India's ambassador to the United States, was subjected to the search on Saturday after speaking to an international studies program at Mississippi State University.
Witnesses said Shankar was told she was pulled from a security line because of her dress.

A Transportation Security Administration spokesman said diplomats are not exempt from pat-down searches and that bulky clothing is one reason for additional screening.

Officials at the Indian embassy in Washington declined to discuss what happened.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-s-ambassador-Meera-Shankar-frisked-at-US-airport/H1-Article1-636192.aspx

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
I think there is nothing wrong in checking Indian ambassador to US for security reasons. Indian media should stop making it an issue. Rather the Indian media should focus on issues that matters.

SHASH2K2

I donot think that its inappropriate to frisk a diplomat or even a high ranking minister . But problem is double standard of western world. They demand VIP treatment when they come into India and are not ready to reciprocate . Their audacity is evident when IN CWG games English team members demanded VIP treatment for Prince Charles and demanded that Even PM car should be frisked and be stopped 500 mts from main venue. should be start frisking Queen and Mr Obama?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ When some powers are unable to accept their downfall, they go into this imaginary thinking that they still command the world. Typical two sided mentality. I think next time we need to check through US ambassadors' record on their communication with Pakistan, with CIA, FBI etc to see if they are not behind the terror strikes in India or even encouraging them.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I think there is nothing wrong in checking Indian ambassador to US for security reasons. Indian media should stop making it an issue. Rather the Indian media should focus on issues that matters.
are you naive ? what security threat does she pose ? she has a diplomatic passport.

she is representing India not herself.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Every country has the right to keep its own procedures and if the Americans say that no diplomats are immune on their soil and that the law is same for all ... then I can't imagine a single reason for why we can't have our own rules. Why do we have to take the pain of providing procedural immunity to the US diplomats or any other diplomats for that matter. Why can't we simply go by the rule book for everyone and not be stupidly segregating everything as VIP vs. normal.
Americans will do whatever they deem right for security, whoever may be whining about it. If the Americans are doing it with pure procedural conduct, it would be proven by their calm when we do the same to their diplomats here in India. And if they show the smallest signs of anguish, they're caught as the double standard hypocrites.

What surprises me is that WE have this high maintainence contrast running everywhere in our modus operandi. Even at our own airports routine customs check, the difference in behavior for a foreign tourist and for an Indian is shamefully visible.

ganesh177

Country flag
Instead of doing this halla, india shud frisk american diplomats to make a same point.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Roemer should be strip searched and so should all diplomats who come and go from here.

George Fernandes on an official visit was strip searched.

President Kalam (after he had demitted office) was searched.

Therefore, it would be correct to strip search President Bush and also Hilary Clinton!

But we believe in Athithi Deva Bhava!

So, that ends the story!

S.A.T.A

I don't think we are in any position to tell other countries how best to secure their national security,we are so taken in by this VIP culture which is so deeply entrenched in Indian psyche,that any diversion from these self constructed norms,attracts our collective derision.To best witness this display of VIP culture one has to but pay a visit to spots of religions pilgrimage,it will be shockingly enlightening.Instead of castigating America we should take a leaf out of their book and make sure such rigid security drills are also established in our airports and other centers of mass transport(domestic or international,citizens or foreign guests)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Instead of doing this halla, india shud frisk american diplomats to make a same point.
to a certain extent you are right...we should frisk hillary clinton and make her wait for an hour till we confirm her identity and her threat to "national security".

then she'll know why diplomatic passports should be valued more than normal passports.

divya

its time to return the favors to yankees to make them smell the coffee that its india not some dodo country which will tolerate their BS.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Indian lady diplomat (with diplomatic passport) who is 56 years old, wearing sari................. security risk........... is USA Ok or what ???

Oracle

Shit happens! But that doesn't mean we should rant about it everytime that happens. Let's do the same to Hillary Clinton, when she visits next and we all will see US falling in line.

pmaitra

This is unfortunate and surely US Airport Security personnel could be educated and sensitised better about certain Indian garments like Saree or Turban. I would, however, say that this was in all likelihood a bonafide effort from those who did it.

I travelled to India recently with a lighter in my pocket through 2 US airports with no frisking whatsoever, only to 'lose' it at Delhi. Needless to say, the security person in Delhi did not toss the lighter into the trash bucket. I'd have given it to him as a gift anyways, but then, I didn't want to offend him by stating it clearly.

SHASH2K2

If we watch the Video carefully its obvious that Airport security staffs are completely insensitive even to American citizens, Leave aside Indians.

Last edited by a moderator:

divya

Paranoia has gone into the minds of yankees nothing else.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles