American evangelicals trying to influence Indian Elections

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by sam80, Apr 5, 2014.

1. sam80

sam80 Regular Member

US Congressmen Question "Hidden Agenda" at Hearing on India

Washington, D.C. (April 4, 2014) - Reps. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) and Brad Sherman (D-CA) raised serious concerns about the timing of today’s Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission (TLHRC) hearing on Religious Freedom in India. Both representatives, who are members of TLHRC, suggested that the hearing may have been timed with the upcoming Indian democratic election and urged committee members not to attempt to influence it.

“Any attempt by the United States to have an effect on the Indian elections will backfire,” said Sherman while questioning panelists.

Leaders of the Hindu American Foundation (HAF) echoed similar concerns, noting the unbalanced panel of four witnesses, all of whom expressed concern over the election of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate, Narendra Modi, as Prime Minister. A witness that would have offered a Hindu perspective to ground realities and the multi-dimensional nature of inter-religious tensions in India was not included, despite requests by the Foundation and some members of the TLHRC. In a number of states in India, such as Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Nagaland, and Mizoram, Hindus comprise a minority and have been subjected to violence and discrimination. Human Rights Watch’s John Sifton, a panelist at the hearing, noted that Hindus have been ethnically cleansed from the Kashmir Valley.

“While the promotion of international religious freedom should be a US policy priority, the testimony made it clear that the witnesses today simply had an axe to grind with the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate,” stated Jay Kansara, Associate Director of Governmental Relations, who was in attendance at the hearing.

HAF submitted testimony, which was entered into the record by Rep. Joe Pitts (R-PA), co-chair of the hearing with Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN). The Foundation’s testimony outlined its perspective on the state of religious freedom in India while noting that it does not take positions on politics or elections in any country. HAF specifically criticized Rep. Pitts and Ellison’s H. Res. 417 as Hinduphobic and highly prejudicial, and expressed particular concern over the resolution’s call to empower religious minority courts to conduct trials and hear appeals -- a suggestion HAF contended threatens to undermine the secular Indian judicial system.

“Like any other member of Congress committed to human rights, I see eye to eye with the national and international community that what happened in Gujarat calls for justice and accountability,” said Rep. Eni Faleomavaega (D-AS), Ranking member of Subcommittee on Asia Pacific Affairs, and member of TLHRC. “But India, like the United States, has an independent and transparent Judiciary and, after an investigation that has been ongoing for more than a decade, India’s Supreme Court and its Special Investigation Team have not found any evidence against [Mr.] Narendra Modi.”

Rep. Pitts submitted testimony from the U.S. India Political Action Committee and the Sikh Coalition. Other TLHRC members remarked that they had not been informed by Commission staff ahead of the hearing and thus, were unable to offer comments that may have differed from the co-chairs.

Kansara also expressed criticism over the endorsement of H.Res. 417 by US Commission on International Freedom (USCIRF) Commissioner Katrina Lantos Swett as well as several of the panelists’ endorsement of the broadly criticized Communalism Bill of 2011 in India. The proposed Communalism Bill, according to HAF leaders, India observers, and legal experts in India, violated fundamental principles of equal protection under the law and due process by creating two classes of Indian citizenry.
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard's Statement Presented at Today's Hearing
    I do not believe the timing of this hearing is a coincidence. The national elections in India begin on Monday and continue until May 12. I am concerned that the goal of this hearing is to influence the outcome of India's national elections, which is not an appropriate role for the US Congress. Such interference with India’s elections would undermine our shared goals.

The United States of America should always stand for religious freedom for all people in all countries and should always work to that end. In this regard, we need to be especially careful not to directly or indirectly contribute to sectarian strife in India or other countries. I am concerned that this hearing is an attempt to foment fear and loathing purely for political purposes, and that it's being done to influence India's national elections. This is wrong and it will contribute to further sectarian division in India and will undermine the national interests of the United States.

U.S. Congressmen Question “Hidden Agenda” at Hearing on India | Hindu American Foundation (HAF)

US rights panel under fire for 'influencing' Indian election - The Times of India

parijataka, Mad Indian and sydsnyper like this.
  3. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

parijataka, Mad Indian and sydsnyper like this.
  4. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Re: Evangelical(christens) American trying to influence Indian Electio

Did anyone see that lowlife John Dayal today? He has gone to the US as a representative of "minorities" (God knows who chose that prick), and is pleading with US Congress to intervene in Indian process and is begging them to declare India a troubled place for minorities.

These scum deserve nothing better than Paki Mullahs. Thanks to these buffoons, I am getting converted into a hardcore right-winger, and my liberalism and tolerance is wearing thin day by day.

chase, parijataka, Mad Indian and 5 others like this.
  5. jalsa

jalsa Regular Member

@Bangalorean Its not only you, A LOT of people who otherwise are liberal and secular have already become hardcore Right-wingers. These evangelicals
    are pushing things too far. Things are getting worse especially for the last five years.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Mad Indian likes this.
  6. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Me too.

There was a time about a decade ago I fought (of course verbally) with my parents if they made any snide remark about Muslims or any other group. I was pretty vocal about all the short-comings of Hindu deities and mythical figures - vociferously defending the secular idea of India. Today, I still defend the secular concept of India, but I have become what many would call a Hindutvavadi - thanx to the shameless appeasement of all but the Hindus.

If I think back, I think the day I heard the Manmohan say that the first right to this nation's resources is of the minorities, I started becoming a right-winger - if not a hardcore one.

I don't care for Rama Mandir in Ayoddha, But I want UCC and repeal of 370.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    chase and Mad Indian like this.
  7. Bodhi

Bodhi Tihar Jail Banned

John Dayal pretends to care about dalits but his loyalty is only with his bogus jesus.

8. sydsnyper

sydsnyper Senior Member Senior Member

The whole sham of forced secularism on a culture like us, which ingrains secularism at its core, is causing a greater divide than any single factor.

The proselytizing from the abhramics coupled with their disdain for other religions and cultures is only adding fuel to the fire.

I remember, when younger, there was no distinction in our country between religious groups. We knew people as people....even after the babri riots people had more or less gotten back to their old ways... till these turds from congress and SP started their vote bank politics. The shocker from those days was when the @$$hole mulayam promised to give 4000CR to the pakis.

parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  9. jalsa

jalsa Regular Member

Why the fcuk we should be secular? it doesn't matter the way you treat the minorities, you are Hindu means you are communal. let us be really "communal" and see the reaction of the people who are 'concerned' about religious freedom in India. If you push too far, one loses his patience at some part of time. These so-called Human Right commissions of USA never talk against serious repression in their key alley KSA.

By the way, let this John Dayal guy go to USA and beg to save minorities in India. It will only result in few more Hindus vote for Modi.

parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  10. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The reactions on this thread are felt all over the country. Multiply these reactions a thousand times, a million times - and show it to John Dayal and co. Let them realize what they are fanning here.

They should mend their ways immediately. Introspection is called for.

11. sam80

sam80 Regular Member

This such a dangerous thing !!!!! OH my god ! Be Right wing or Get Destroyed by Right wings of Christens And Muslims . America was better enemy than friend we need to stop these NGO Activities .

Feel like In this World Only Hindus Are cows and others are Beef eaters .

parijataka likes this.
  12. tarunraju

Anyone who thinks Evangalistic anti-Indianism has anything to do with the subject of secularism or religion has missed the point. Evangalism is a means for western powers to spread influence in India, and dissent at the flick of a switch. Religion is the easiest way to proliferate influence. One must remember this stunningly apt Desmond Tutu quote:

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land."

The object of secularism is the detachment of religion with state affairs. If there's a 2-lane road that needs widening, and it's being bottlenecked by a Mosque on one side, and a Temple on the other, the secular thing to do is to demolish both, and compensate them just as you'd compensate ordinary buildings. The COMMUNAL thing to do, is to let both the Mosque and Temple exist, and to bullshit the locals saying that you're trying to be "secular."

13. jalsa

jalsa Regular Member

Seems like USA don't want to deal with another Putin, so all these dirty tricks to stop Modi.

sydsnyper likes this.
  14. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

How? Post-DK episode whatever little influence USA might have had on the minds of educated aspiring youth of India, was lost.

Now, these useless morons knock the door of US and whine - which no way affects India

happy likes this.
  15. sam80

sam80 Regular Member

We all have Right wing but look at the Power of Evangelical Americans they Actually Influence Foreign policy on basis of Religion of So called "Secular" America where minority is less than 3-4% .

Read Article Hindu Tulasi Gabbard called Pitts and Ellison "Hinduphobic"

Mad Indian likes this.
  16. tarunraju

DK was a contest between who gets the stick over Bangladesh, and MV Seaman Guard Ohio. DK is back home, which means India had to make concessions. We'll not know what those are, until UPA is out of power, and someone from an NDA-led government leaks those details to the press.

10 bucks says Lavrov will be in India before June 1st, and Modi's Foreign minister (whoever that is), will request Russian assistance to spring-clean India's intelligence apparatus / debug it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    gokussj9 likes this.
  17. jalsa

jalsa Regular Member

They will always try, a weak government at the center is always easy to manipulate. American influence on Educated and aspiring youth has not completely faded-away, you will be surprised to know the number of people queued-up to work in the USA. One of my friend has gone to the States last month and he only have a vague idea of DK Issue. With our economy doing bad there is no shortage of MATA's

18. sam80

sam80 Regular Member

Read this PDF of HAF

http://goo.gl/b7IzhN

19. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

We need to STOP and reverse the conversion.

20. jalsa

jalsa Regular Member

How?? that is the big question. Any attempt to re-convert will result in west crying foul of "genocide" of religious minorities in India.

21. sam80

sam80 Regular Member

Stopping Conversion will be enough , Already there is law in Gujrat , Orisa etc. states .

If someone convert with "faith" no Problem but Conversation of Tribal people Exploiting them by Providing Financial Attraction is the Problem.