AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
I gave some stats about recent improvement in homegrown industry and exports. So, safely an assistance.
Assistance...i think they will give a screw drive job for sure..because if we can mature in 5G jet they will loose business

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
I can't understand argument from few previous posts..thing is
1)J-31 has a russian engine,if not home grown less powerful engine..we didn't knew nothing about it
2)Gripen has american engine,EU companies avionics..except the plane body everything is incorporated from other countries..
My opinion is develop AMCA with components from other countries..when it finishes all it's testing slowly we can replace with our systems...
I agree with you. Partially. We can source some assistance for avionics and in areas that are new to us and giving us troubles (I imagine sensor fusion is one of these areas). We need a working 5th gen fighter ASAP (especially given that our production capacity is significantly lesser than that of rival PRC). Slowly we can replace the engines, avionics, etc with indigenous versions.

My question however is this: From where will we source the paint and RAM required to make that critical difference in radar cross-section?
I doubt anyone will just give us these. And these are the technologies that will make the big difference between an F-22 level stealth aircraft and any other VLO aircraft. These technologies will also have a big impact on the operational costs and turn around rate of AMCA.
IMHO, the turn around rate is the most important parameter for a 5th-generation fighter jet.

IndianHawk

Country flag
F18 ? Noooo man

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
It was a discussion before iaf specifically asked for a single engine fighter.

Anyway if I have to chose between f16, gripen and f18
I'll still choose f18.:biggrin2:

And going by iaf track record you never know what is going to be the climax of the drama

wuzetian

It was a discussion before iaf specifically asked for a single engine fighter.

Anyway if I have to chose between f16, gripen and f18
I'll still choose f18.:biggrin2:

And going by iaf track record you never know what is going to be the climax of the drama
Crazy people ... If I were PM Modi I would buy time for indigenous development of AMCA keeping China in mind by policy of pseudo-brickmanship. Simply publicly claim that India is very weak conventionally to China and that wrt China No first use policy is invalid .

Also keep the nuclear threshold very low , claim that any incursion which India considers large enough to aggravate relations will be met with use of Tactical nukes (just like Pakis try to scare us) .

Also demonstrate the will to do so once or twice so that they don't doubt the change in pacifist nature of India.

Once this is done without much fear we can push forward all aircraft development till we can deal with China

IndianHawk

Country flag
Crazy people ... If I were PM Modi I would buy time for indigenous development of AMCA keeping China in mind by policy of pseudo-brickmanship. Simply publicly claim that India is very weak conventionally to China and that wrt China No first use policy is invalid .

Also keep the nuclear threshold very low , claim that any incursion which India considers large enough to aggravate relations will be met with use of Tactical nukes (just like Pakis try to scare us) .

Also demonstrate the will to do so once or twice so that they don't doubt the change in pacifist nature of India.

Once this is done without much fear we can push forward all aircraft development till we can deal with China
We are trying to establish ourselves as a mature responsible power house.

Copying Pakistan is exactly opposite to that

Certified Gipsy

Last edited by a moderator:

wuzetian

We are trying to establish ourselves as a mature responsible power house.

Copying Pakistan is exactly opposite to that
Although I agree with you partly , you must remember that in the quest for being seen as a responsible power Nehru ran to UN when we could have won the rest of Kashmir .

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Boeing Unveils An AMCA ‘Sweetener’
Shiv Aroor Nov 16 2016 10 50 PM
As Boeing Defense revives its campaign for the F/A-18 Super Hornet in India, a slide in its presentation today on the pitch stands out significant and adds telling detail to an aspect of the effort that has remained relatively unknown — how India’s proposed Make In India Fighter programme ties in with the country’s concept fifth generation development AMCA platform. We now know that Boeing has a very specific plan, with three major thrusts:
First, as the slide most visibly suggests, Boeing proposes that the manufacturing facility and supply eco-system that it builds up for the F/A-18 in India in the event it is chosen, could be used to produce the AMCA. The existing facility could be leveraged, precluding the need for a greenfield setup elsewhere.
Second, also mentioned specifically in the slide is the GE 414 enhanced engine pitch. Significant. Boeing here is proposing engine commonality from the get-go to support the prospective selection of the Super Hornet platform. Both Boeing and GE are in ‘multiple stakeholder discussions’ with the DRDO, Indian Air Force (and, presumably the MoD) on this aspect, said Boeing India President Pratyush Kumar during a presentation by Dan Gillian, Boeing’s VP on the F/A-18 programme headquartered at St Louis (Livefist is in the United States at the invitation of Boeing Defense). The enhanced GE 414 would be a feature on the Advanced Super Hornet proposed as part of the Make In India pitch. How this ties in with India’s own engine development efforts and opportunities remains unclear. The indigenisation thrust need to ensure the Kaveri effort hasn’t gone to waste — the AMCA could potentially be India’s last indigenous manned fighter project for the next three-four decades.
Finally, there is the suggestion that Boeing could be available to help along the AMCA programme directly as a partner or consultant in such a way that it makes the Block 2 Super Hornet -> Advanced Super Hornet -> AMCA flow more seamlessly from a development-to-manufacturing perspective.
This is an aggressive pitch that amplifies the sort of deep dive that competitors for the MIIF deal could be willing to put on the table. It also has several implications on the dynamics of partnerships and indigenous development from the ground up for a programme that will be infinitely more complex than not just a flyaway deal — but also the aborted M-MRCA.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
None of the links can be accessed. Why so?
Tweets are being displayed to me. Can't say what's problem with your browser.

BTW, those tweets contained nothing but above article. Boeing has offered to help in development of AMCA, adding GE414 engine as powerplant over that, probably a push for Super Hornet.
I'm not a fan of Americans but I'm too in love with Hornets.:p
It's a first class 4th G fighter, some type of aircraft I wished to be developed one in India.

brational

Country flag
Don't fall into Amriki trap again. They partner us with new projects and gradually abandon them. In LCA too they played the spoil sport. Amriki involvement will kill the project.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Don't fall into Amriki trap again. They partner us with new projects and gradually abandon them. In LCA too they played the spoil sport. Amriki involvement will kill the project.
Yeah that is true, they did it with Japan, by offering them F-16 as a platform in place of their indigenous efforts to build a jet, as a result, they got F-2. But, I guess, GOI has got enough think tanks and more intelligent minds and they might extract good out of this pitch.

square

Strategic Issues
talks on advance f414 engine (125kn) giving no result dispite several rounds of disccussions...
and now they try to link the engine with f18.

AMCA is stuck...

what ADA and DRDO going to do now ?

talk to russia , afterall you need a engine to fly...

republic_roi97

Country flag
talks on advance f414 engine (125kn) giving no result dispite several rounds of disccussions...
and now they try to link the engine with f18.

AMCA is stuck...

what ADA and DRDO going to do now ?

talk to russia , afterall you need a engine to fly...
Talk to france, for their Snecma, they offered us to improve Kaveri designs to produce >90 KN of thrust in just 18 months time.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles