Amazing Facts about Bharat and Bharatiyas!

bhramos

Country flag
1. Bharat is the world's largest, oldest, continuous civilization.

2. Bharat never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.

3. Bharat is the world's largest democracy.

4. Varanasi, also known as Benares, was called "the ancient city" when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C.E, and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.

5. Bharat invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.

6. The World's first university was established in Takshashila in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient Bharat in the field of education.

7. Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software - a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987.

8. Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.

9. Although modern images of Bharat often show poverty and lack of development, Bharat was the richest country on earth until the time of British invasion in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by Bharat's wealth.

10. The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindhu 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'.

11. Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484 days.

12. The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.

13. Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from Bharat. Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10**53(10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10**12(10 to the power of 12).

14. IEEE has proved what has been a century old suspicion in the world scientific community that the pioneer of wireless communication was Prof. Jagdish Bose and not Marconi.

15. The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.

16. According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150 CE a beautiful lake called Sudarshana was constructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya's time.

17. Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in Bharat.

18. Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient Bharat. Over 125 surgical equipment were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.

19. When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Bharatiya established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization).

20. The four religions born in Bharat, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the world's population.

21. The place value system, the decimal system was developed in Bharat in 100 BC.

22. Bharat is one of the few countries in the World, which gained independence without violence.

23. Bharat has the second largest pool of Scientists and Engineers in the World.

bhramos

Country flag
^^^^^ have u any link of it
every where it said that, but couldnt find the link.
Sanskrit is considered as the mother of all higher languages.
This is because it is the most precise and therefore the suitable language for computer software (a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987).

warriorextreme

Country flag
I cannot imagine that there was no concept of zero before Aryabhatta. And I am not too sure what does inventing zero means.
brahmagupta was the one who invented zero..by invention it means that he explained concept of zero such as if you multiply anything with zero you get zero etc etc...nobody had ever put zero in such rules before brahmgupta so credit goes to him.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
should it be bharatiyon or bharat wasi than bharatiyas?
Bharatiya is Ok. Hindi news channel use it like Bharatiya Sena, Bharatiya Nau Sena etc.

But in the forum world, it can be the effect of PDF :D

agentperry

bharat never attacked any country- so cowardice is in genes?

then care to explain the cholas in east and mauryan rule in afghan was fiction or reality?

and its mesopotamian who first started irrigating fields not us.

agentperry

russel peter gave most hilarious explanation over zero discovery- the man didnt wanted to pay a single penny to shopkeeper for goods he had bought, shopkeeper finally asked what you want to give you need to give something? he made a zero on ground.

anoop_mig25

Country flag

niharjhatn

I daresay more discoveries, especially related to mathematics, western scholars have credited to the Middle East during the so-called 'Golden Age of Islam' - hence the oddly named "Hindu-Arabic numeral system" - largely because Europe received those discoveries via the middle east.

What impresses me the most is numbers, language, chess, and an often overlooked discovery - dice. Dice IMO summarises the true mastery ancient India had on maths - developing probabilities etc to such a high degree.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I daresay more discoveries, especially related to mathematics, western scholars have credited to the Middle East during the so-called 'Golden Age of Islam' - hence the oddly named "Hindu-Arabic numeral system" - largely because Europe received those discoveries via the middle east.
Actually the term 'Hindu-Arabic numeral system' is a fairly recent name. The first European to use this system was Fibonacci in the early 13th century, and he called it 'Modus Indorum' ('Indian method').

I've always been amused by how Westerners manipulate names to suit their historical agendas and superiority complexes. Take, for example, the so-called Brahmagupta-Fibonacci Identity. Why even include Fibonacci's name, when Brahmagupta discovered and formally described the identity centuries earlier? There's nothing called the Pythagorean-Katyayana Theorem, is there?

Nagraj

it's our fault more then anyone elses..
Actually the term 'Hindu-Arabic numeral system' is a fairly recent name. The first European to use this system was Fibonacci in the early 13th century, and he called it 'Modus Indorum' ('Indian method').

I've always been amused by how Westerners manipulate names to suit their historical agendas and superiority complexes. Take, for example, the so-called Brahmagupta-Fibonacci Identity. Why even include Fibonacci's name, when Brahmagupta discovered and formally described the identity centuries earlier? There's nothing called the Pythagorean-Katyayana Theorem, is there?

SpArK

SORCERER
I cannot imagine that there was no concept of zero before Aryabhatta. And I am not too sure what does inventing zero means.
Students at those ages never got 0 marks in exams.

They later blamed Aryabhatta for that. :scared2:

bhramos

Country flag
Bharatiya is Ok. Hindi news channel use it like Bharatiya Sena, Bharatiya Nau Sena etc.

But in the forum world, it can be the effect of PDF :D
this is Hinglish,
as u know about some languages.. like Telugu, if you wanted to talk plurals, just add lu for every word.
same if any Hindi person want to talk english or hinglish plurals, just add s to every word,,, ;-)

warriorextreme

Country flag
so when computer programmer are going to start programming in sanskrit. i see hughe demand of sanskrit teachers in future
not gonna happen as we and almost whole world uses english only for programming...may be because english is easy to use with keyboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-English-based_programming_languages

here is one awesome article that i found on net describing how sanskrit is already a programming language

http://uttishthabharata.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/sanskrit3/

Given below is our sample sentence. It appears in the text राजनीतिसमुच्चय authored by आचार्य चाणक्य |मूर्खः परिहर्तव्यः प्रत्यक्षः द्विपदः पशुः । which means..A stupid person must be avoided. He is like a two-legged animal in-front of the eyes.Now, let's get back to our good old Q & A format.Q) Are you sure, the English translation you have provided is correct ? Else, why are there only 5 words in the Sanskrit version but so many words in the English version ?
A) Of course, the translation I provided is absolutely correct. But your doubt is also genuine. To know why the Sanskrit version is so economic in the usage of words, we need to first understand it's structure.
Q) Umm hmm, go on..
A) As mentioned in the first article of the series, the words in Sanskrit represent properties. So the 5 words used in this sentence also represent properties.
मूर्ख = (the property of being) stupid
परिहर्तव्य = (the property that makes one) avoidable (by others)
प्रत्यक्ष = (the property of being) in front of the eyes
द्विपद = (the property of) having two legs
पशु = (the property of usually being) tethered
But, in spoken language, we always refer to objects and not properties. (The object being referred to need not exist in the real world. It is sufficient if it exists in the speaker's imagination.) So we need a way to force the above words to represent objects rather than properties. That way of forcing a word(which represents a property) to represent an object is called vibhakti.So, मूर्ख represents the property of being stupid, but मूर्खः (which is a vibhakti of the word मूर्ख) represents an object/person who is stupid. Here, मूर्खः is called the first vibhakti of the word मूर्ख | Similarly, परिहर्तव्यः is the first vibhakti of the word परिहर्तव्य | So, we have
परिहर्तव्यः = an object/person who must be avoided
प्रत्यक्षः = an object/person located in front of the eyes
द्विपदः = a object/creature having two legs
पशुः = an object/creature who is tethered = a beast or cattle (because usually beast or cattle is tethered)
Q) Hmm, cool. So this sentence has five words which represent 5 properties. But we converted the 5 words into their first vibhaktis. So the 5 new converted words represent 5 objects having those 5 properties. Am I right ?
A) Yes, absolutely.
Q) So far we have 5 different (vibhaktified) words representing 5 different objects having 5 different properties. How does this help in making a meaningful sentence. ?
A) Here comes the climax. There is a rule of Sanskrit Grammar which states that words having the same vibhakti represent the same object and not different objects! So the 5 different (vibhaktified) words actually do not represent 5 different objects, rather they are like pointers that point to the same object because they all have the same vibhakti viz. first vibhakti!
The same mechanism is explained below graphically.
word1 is mUrkha, word2 is parihartavya and so on..

Hence, our sentence actually has one object/person (in the imagination of the speaker) who has all the 5 properties viz. he is stupid, he must be avoided, he is located in front of the eyes, he has two legs and he is an animal(beast or cattle) . In other words, a stupid person must be avoided and he (that same person) is like a two-legged animal in front of the eyes. Hence, we have effectively translated our sentence into English!Q) Wow! So a typical word in Sanskrit is like class in Java(without methods) and the vibhaktified form of that word is like a pointer to an object of that class. Right ?
A) Yes! You got it. And not just that. There are actually 8 kinds of vibhaktis in all. In this article, we have considered only the first of those 8 kinds of vibhaktis.
The aStAdhyAyI composed by maharSi pANini is considered by many to be the first formal program in the world and he himself is considered the first programmer.
Q) Never thought that concepts similar to the modern programming constructs like classes, objects and pointers have been used in a spoken language by our ancestors for millenia. Awesome revelation, this was! I am impressed.
A) If this was awesome, then listen to this. maharSI pANini, considered to be the greatest Sanskrit Grammarian, used those same techniques to describe Sanskrit Grammar atleast 2500 years ago, which are today used to design the grammar of modern programming languages. If you do not believe, then check this wiki-page (search for computer programming languages on it).
Q) Awesome! Now a reminder for you. In the last article, you explained that सूर्य means sun, कोटि means crore, सम means equivalent and प्रभ means effulgence. By pronouncing these words one after the other, one can generate a new word viz. सूर्यकोटिसमप्रभ which means "one whose effulgence is equivalent to that of a crore suns". Similarly, in English, why Sun, Crore, Equivalent and Effulgence, pronounced one after the other, do not generate a new word ? Why is SunCroreEquivalentEffulgence not a new word in English ? You promised, you will explain.
A) Yes, I do remember the promise. The reason for this speciality of Sanskrit also lies in the concept of vibhakti. How ? Its very simple. In Sanskrit, if I would ever want to refer to the Sun, I would say सूर्यः and not सूर्य. This is because, सूर्य would represent a property and the Sun is not a property, rather it is an object. So to refer to the Sun, I would use सूर्यः (which is the first vibhakti of सूर्य). Similarly, to refer to someone whose effulgence is equivalent to that of a crore suns, I would use सूर्यकोटिसमप्रभः (which represents an object) and not सूर्यकोटिसमप्रभ (which represents a collection of properties), because that someone is an object and not a property. Hence, there is a difference in the pronunciations of the सूर्य (in सूर्यकोटिसमप्रभ) and सूर्यः (which is the object Sun). The difference arises because of the 2 dots at the end of सूर्यः | But in English, there is no such difference in the pronunciations of Sun in SunCroreEquivalentEffulgence and the (object) Sun. Hence, it would be confusing in English. It is not possible in English to form such compound words, in turn, strongly limiting the vocabulary in English.
That's it for this article. In the next one, we will dwell into the remaining 7 vibhaktis and examine how they shorten the language.
[COLOR=#fafafa !important]

[/COLOR]​

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles