Alternatives to the Indian program MMRCA

pankaj nema

Country flag
China wants to have ALL 4 TH Generation airforce in the future ie it wants to dump all
its Mig 21 clones

In TODAY 's scenario ONLY 4 th generation aircraft MATTER ie HOW many 4 th generation planes are there
with your enemy

Rafale and Eurofighter are 4.5 Generation planes

Both PAK FA and J 20 will take a lot of time to develop .

By 2020 we would be lucky to even have ONE squadron of PAK FA and we will have MAXIMUM of
70 MMRCA planes

Therefore we are still accumulating and upgrading Su 30 mki and have invested heavily in Mirage 2000
and Mig 29 upgradation

arya

Country flag
And let us not forget that in case of a two front war we will face BOTH PAF and PLAAF simultaneously

The ONLY way to dissuade China is to have such strong forces that can impose a very heavy damage

The chinese only want CHEAP victories

When they realist that IA and IAF will whip their A $$ they will talk of peace and friendship
and might even dump pakistan
come on dont you have money or passport when you think war is going to start you can left the nation the same thing our leaders will do in case of war thats why they are not serious for our force

pankaj nema

Country flag
come on dont you have money or passport when you think war is going to start you can left the nation the same thing our leaders will do in case of war thats why they are not serious for our force
You might run away BUT I will fight for my country and I really mean it

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We are buying MMRCA for facing PLAAF in 2020
And if we dont buy MMRCA our best plane will be Su 30 mki and Super Su 30 mki
But Super Su 30 mki is still NOT READY
And even the UPGRADED and latest versions of Mirage 2000 and Mig 29
ARE NOT equal to Rafale or Eurofighter

And let us not forget that in case of a two front war we will face BOTH PAF and PLAAF simultaneously
The ONLY way to dissuade China is to have such strong forces that can impose a very heavy damage
The chinese only want CHEAP victories
When they realist that IA and IAF will whip their A $$ they will talk of peace and friendship
and might even dump pakistan
Your Post is very sensationally attractive.. :D

arya

Country flag
You might run away BUT I will fight for my country and I really mean it
brother it not about me i am talking the policy our leader will adopt at war time you can count me in your side ..

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
A large part of our frontiers is ladden with snow mountains, against both the adversaries - Pak & China.
Can we have tactically smart punters which may not be hugely sophisticated, yet superb experts of warfare in Mountains and high altitude?
I mean we don't need the best, we only need what suits. It will automatically prove to be the best for us.
Just my two paise.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

Nirvana

No Mention of gripen in the Article !! MMRCA Cancellation can make way for Gripen,Mig 35 !!
Though Gripen is a Single Engine jet and that's a setback since AF is Looking for Double Engine Jet which can be useful in Himalayan Territories !!

there no chance for F-35 , As Air force won't Consider another 5th gen Platform when they already Have Pak-fa in line and AMCA Development Underway
I Doubt IAF will buy 2nd hand Mirages in event of Cancellation of this Tender , Under such event IAF Would Increase the Order's of Sukhois on Fast-track from Russia !!

p2prada

The Brazilian author have lesser the knowledge about MMRCA deal, he missed one important point, that is 50% offset clause, some thing that cause the delay of the process, more then anything MMRCA deal for India is more then just a capable aircraft brought or a value for money aircraft. It is aimed to build a robust industrial base to boost the infra-structure capabilities for indigenous production, otherwise it could have ended up on the cheap teen series or even the F-35.
The Brazilians usually tend to have 50-100% offsets in their defence deals.

Czech have 200%.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I still like flying kites with fireworks bound to them. Hey and we can put in cheap (Chinese) cameras on kites for recon/ AWACS.

At least that is achievable by GoI bureaucratic standards!

agentperry

mmrca...well IAF needs an aircraft that can play its due role without any compromise and restrictions in future that is 2020s 2030s and 2040s. think of mig-29s and mirage 2000-9s in 2030 and 2040.
mmrca is required in the way it is

no smoking

Country flag
Just curiously, where does india get so big budget for its air force in the next 2 decades to work on 3 significant project simoutaneously:

Pak-fa;
MMRCA;
AMCA;

sukhish

the budget is not that big, this budget for the next ten years can be financed with only one year worth of loot/scams from the GOI.
there was a 2G scam, it's estimated cost to the nations was around $30 billion.

p2prada

Just curiously, where does india get so big budget for its air force in the next 2 decades to work on 3 significant project simoutaneously:

Pak-fa;
MMRCA;
AMCA;
AMCA will happen only after MRCA and PAKFA ends. So, there is time for it.

Currently MKI is happening along with the MRCA deal, so in the future PAKFA will happen with MRCA while MKI production closes. They balance each other out.

Our GDP should be more or less the same as China's current GDP by 2020. Our currency is currently more undervalued than China's. So, even that comes into play when making capital acquisitions using foreign currency. The difference in exchange rate is bound to reduce as India's economy grows stronger.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador

Pak-fa;
MMRCA;
AMCA;
the accumulated spending on defence this decade ( 2011-20) will vary between 500b usd (if the yearly increase in def budget averages out to 8%) to 700b usd (if the yearly increase in def budget averages out to 15%).

Immanuel

Country flag
If the MRCA is canceled, the only other option is the F-35. But the time frame is not good enough. The other MRCA candidates except for Gripen are old.

According to Airpower's own studies, the SH is not an even match for an upgraded flanker like the BM, so you can say the other MRCA candidates which weren't shortlisted aren't good enough either.

The MRCA deal first picked the best fighters out of the six and then the cheapest is to be decided, which is unlike the Swiss program where they chose the most technically inferior aircraft available simply because it costs less.

Super Flankers, we have plenty and will be manufacturing them until PAKFA starts production anyway. So, why would we want more?

Mirage-2000 and Mig-29 are no longer an "advanced" option. We may as well go for the Mig-35. IAF wants the aircraft to last 40 years, not 20.

Homegrown programs are going to be funded anyway. It's not like the money used in MRCA can be redirected into AMCA when the Govt and IAF think both can be funded at the same time along with PAKFA. A stealth LCA would not be an equivalent platform, but I guess the author is technically talking about the AMCA here.
If by airpower studies you mean ausairpower, they hardly hold any serious ground. Super Hornet International with weapons like Aim-120D should be able to take first shots at the Chinese flankers. SH international comes with an uprated GE F414EPE with 20% additional thrust which together with the lighter materials, steath pods, upgraded MAWS, new IRST and the awesome new cockpit being worked on is a very nice aircraft too.

http://www.boeing.com/AeroIndia2011/pdf/Aero_India_Super_Hornet_Briefing.pdf

With the enhancements and unkil's deadly weapons pack, this bird could be the ideal all rounder we need for the MRCA. They offer has a lot of neat little things. Love the proposed new cockpit. This bird is by far one of the most reliable ever made. sure IT isn't the fastest to climb or dive, turn etc but it sure can dance in the sky and does everything you need a modern fighter to do. The new engine will allow it to dance better.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I think that we should stick to MMRCA. If we cancel it now, we might never be able to get another vendor in the future ready to sell us.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

Pak-fa;
MMRCA;
AMCA;
Necessity is the mother of every.... requirement I would say in our case.

Dhiraj Thakur

for how many year we will be using other countries planes....kyon hum har bar dusron ke meharbani pe ji rahe hai....we r having all foreign made plane.our enemy country is making stealth plane and we r still at 4th gen plane....we should hav our own planes,everything.no need to beg others. we should be using our own technologies,our own inventions.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I presume so long as the bureaucratic mentality remains!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles