Alternatives to Dassault Rafale

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Re: Why Rafale is a Big Mistake

what is the specification of Mk 2..

I'm talking about a plane who is combat proven ..you are blubbering about a Plane still in Dashboard

leave the partnership measure here he will best with She

so you telling about Range ..not money
so you want a proven fighter then you will say rafale is better than f22. Right. LOL.
the rafale which is proven is not integrated with many parts which india will get. Nor that rafale is battle proven in india.
and tejas mk2 will beat rafale. Tell me specs of rafale in hot and humid condition of india cause you are talking about cold weather specs of rafale

prohumanity

Country flag

Does India really need these expensive fancy toys to defend itself? More than a minor difference in technology....what is most important to win wars is courage ,willpower and ability to take risk. Let the enemy know that India is not cowardly ,Gandhian nation who can be intimidated easily. No first use must be repealed .....and do what Uncle does...don't do what Uncle says.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

what is the specification of Mk 2..

I'm talking about a plane who is combat proven ..you are blubbering about a Plane still in Dashboard

leave the partnership measure here he will best with She

so you telling about Range ..not money
combat proven over the skies of little or no opposition skies Afganisthan , malli and libiya.

Was it combat proven over skies infested with F-16s , Flankers and in future 5th gen J-20s and j-10 to justify the 20 billion dollar (for the 4.5th gen tech)price tag for just 6 squadrons?

Are they all same as brochure specs?

If 20 billion gets tied up in just 6 squadrons , how does IAF hope to replace the other 300 Migs and jags that need replacement with in this decade?

What are the range, ITR, STR ,top speeds and max weapon load achieved by rafale in hot indian conditions?

And by 2025 if PAF starts buying cheaper chinese J-31s (meant for exports only) then can rafale justify its price tag and 4.5th gen capabilities against much cheaper 5th gen J-31 with tow powerful russian engines and full stealth air frame?

times have changed a lot since the MMRCA tender was issued in 2004. Right now induct around 300 tejas mk-1 and mk-2 to replace the truly obsolete Migs and Jags(14 squadrons as stated by Minister of state for defence in parliament) to keep its fighting strengthas interim measures is the best cost effective option for IAF.

IAF shoud concentrate on stealth tejas mk-3(proposed by VK saraswat) , FGFA and AMCA as its real weapons of war in future.Wasting 20 billion dollars now for rafale does not sit well with future IAf prospects.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

I too love our indigenous defence Establishment I too want our industry should grow in military And Flying Wings

But peoples we Here talking about Tejas Can do or 2 or 2 more Tejas can do Same one Rafale do in the theatre

Please quote only one thing at least our future mk 2 will equal current Rafale' s performance

Answer is big no ..I sure no one will see the MK 2 Before 2025

Rafale we should need Asap..

the current Tejas is best in 1970-2000 time frame not now
The current rafale is designed in the 1980s , no space age 5th gen product.French air force is reducing its orders and concentrating of future nuron.

Considering the pace of negotiations no one will see rafale in IAf before 2020 at the earliest either.

To compare we still have not got the performance spec of rafale in indian MMRCA tender which is still kept in a sealed envelope by IAF.

But tejas mk-1 will sort out close to 90 percent of the issues of tejas mk-2.There will be no fuel line butting, brake redesigning, pilot seat redesigning and FSED phase-2 to delay the tejas mk-2 project.

Already drawings are being sent to production agency as per ADA release. And only redesigning the fuselgae for new engine is the task.

Since tejas mk-2 is going to keep the same wing loading, most of the test points will be same. It is going on from 2009 itself.weapon testing and wake penetration and all weather testing which took so much time in tejas mk-1, wont be an issue in tejas mk-2 as all of them have already been validated.

Even spin testing points of tejas mk-1 and mk-2 will overlap with each other.

But the most important thing is unlike the snail pace of tejas mk-1 PV and LSP productions(from older jag production lines, with joints juttin out and wing undersides with bumps, which alone contributed to 6 percent underperformance as per ADA chief) tejas m-2 LSPs will roll out from the brand new mk1 production line with faster pace and fewer quality issues.

Hope that the legendary squabbles within IAF-HAL -ADA combo which crippled tejas mk-1 for decades, will be sorted out by the new Modi govt . IAF refused to put a project management team for tejas mk-1 till 2006. It took no initiative in suggesting any design chanes from 1993 to 2006 is the main reason for delay according to Air marshal Philip Rajkumar

Another issue is it wont be crippled by piss poor funding and sanctions issue.Now since india is a semi offiicial member of NSG and other big boys club , no tech denials will be there.

And consultancies from foreign biggies too can be availed of if needed.And navy is a commiited supporter to this project unlike the fickle ways of IAF.Navy was the first to chip in with funds for tejas mk-2 project. IAF agreed only reluctantly later.

Also parts for tejas mk-2 can be easily made from the established vendors of tejas mk-1,

If only IAF and navy confirm a total of 250 plu tejas mk-1 and mk-2 combined indian private industry too will be more than willing to join in vendors list. but the IAF is restricting mk-2 orders to just 84 is the biggest impediment here.

gripen C took more than 20 years to arrive , but once developmental funding was given gripen NG came with in tow years.

Also all the changes asked for by IAF in rafale will also make it consume a couple of years to integrate them all.

Last edited:

p2prada

Does India really need these expensive fancy toys to defend itself? More than a minor difference in technology....what is most important to win wars is courage ,willpower and ability to take risk. Let the enemy know that India is not cowardly ,Gandhian nation who can be intimidated easily. No first use must be repealed .....and do what Uncle does...don't do what Uncle says.
The Pakistanis have all these qualities. But guess who's been winning?

JBH22

I guess the other lobbies are giving the journalists lots of freebies to mount this campaign against Rafale.

Wonder why some are pushing the crappy F-35, the French have a stable among that is combat proven albeit at a high price tag, but its the same for all the other planes.

We had F-16 and F-18 who have reached their life cycle except some fancy upgrades.
Mig-35 is not yet a matured platform and not much scope for future upgrades. As for Grippen we all know what uncle sam can do.
The last remaining is the EF-2000 which is a platform that I frankly see no future for :)

Santu

I guess the other lobbies are giving the journalists lots of freebies to mount this campaign against Rafale.

Wonder why some are pushing the crappy F-35, the French have a stable among that is combat proven albeit at a high price tag, but its the same for all the other planes.

We had F-16 and F-18 who have reached their life cycle except some fancy upgrades.
Mig-35 is not yet a matured platform and not much scope for future upgrades. As for Grippen we all know what uncle sam can do.
The last remaining is the EF-2000 which is a platform that I frankly see no future for :)
Sir , Then F-22 is only option for us.. ;) :)

Santu

Only Problem with rafale now it's price tag.. Its bit too costly.. But IAF needs to take a call regarding the eligible aircraft (Mk-2 or any other) for this MRCA role.. If They can manage with Su-30 till Mk-2/AMCA comes in , It's better to Induct Su-30 More in number.. I disagree with one thing in the discussion.. Comparison between Mk-2 and Rafale.. One bird is flying where as other is in Design stage.. Please don't make such comparisons based on specs mentioned.. Even F-35 had wonderful specs when they designed it.. Did they meet them?? Answer is no..similarly We really donno how Mk-2 looks once it is designed (I will happiest person if gets all specs clean) ..

Santu

F-22 not for sale only meant for USAF :)
I know that sir but what ever points you raised above , The only aircraft with all these qualities like new technology , Stealth and will not get obsolete by may be till 2040-50, all matches F-22 ;) :) so i mentioned that it's the only option :)

EXPERT

I know that sir but what ever points you raised above , The only aircraft with all these qualities like new technology , Stealth and will not get obsolete by may be till 2040-50, all matches F-22 ;) :) so i mentioned that it's the only option :)
You can mention F-35 here but you there are many issues with this deal.
1. No full transfer of technology
2. Maintaining the F-35,
3. US can create future hurdle for spare support.
These are not in case with Rafale.

EXPERT

Rafale could not make before 2020 but Mark II only after 2025. We know that Mark II has a long way to go and by the time we are capable of making a state of the art fighters, it would be very late because our squadrons are going down. So to keep up with that we do need a fighter with all its technologies in our house.
And Rafale is the choice, yep it's coming quite expensive but French are not fools, why would they give us a fighter with 100% TOT because of money obviously.

Otm Shank

The longer india waits the more irrelevant the rafale becomes. Instead of indecision just go for it, consider it a stop gap measure and a high cost penalty for allowing indecision and corruption breed among your leaders then invest all in in indigenous design and production.

fyodor

Country flag

If India invests $20 billion dollar in buying Tejas or another plane even if developed by an Indian private company then it will be an investment into R&D sector. So I think we should do what Israel did long ago. They invested heavily in their own weapons research and today Israel, a small nation leads the world in high technology.

LastProphet

Ya for sure that is really required, investment in local R&D, absolutely no doubt in it...but till it gives some results how do you think we can protect our skies by the aging and depleting squadrens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HMS Astute

Ya for sure that is really required, investment in local R&D, absolutely no doubt in it...but till it gives some results how do you think we can protect our skies by the aging and depleting squadrens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imo india is more than capable of defending itself from any potential threat in the region. the only country that would give india a tough fight is china and i dont think this conflict will happen anytime soon, considering a strong relationship between BRICS countries and they are trading partners. regarding with rafale deal, it is a great european aircraft with flexibility in terms of different operations, armaments and variants to to cooperate with the rest of indian armed forces and branches. f35 is the aircraft for the future and it wont be available to other countries until 2020 and beyond. typhoon is a fantastic aircraft as well, it has powerful engine, agility, outstanding performance and its designed to dominate air-to-air combats with 1st rated air superiority role and limited air-to-ground role which i think india does not really want. typhoon will do a wonderful job to protect the entire indian airspace and deal with any treat in the region. however, if i was in power, i'd rather invest $20+bn in my own country and create thousands of jobs with the potential to export to other countries as well.

HMS Astute

tejas mk2 will beat rafale anytime. And we can moderate mk1's avionics and all things by using components of super sukhoi which will make mk1 more lethal than rafale.
I don't find any point to purchase rafale just for range as we already have fighter which have more range than rafale.
all these modern jets are more or less the same in many aspects. but, what makes them a huge difference is the training, flying hours, maintenance, skills, experience, commitment, professionalism and awareness of the pilots, support units such as refuelling tankers, AWACS, tactics, strategy, command and navigation centres on the ground, military satellites, communication and battle field support networks etc.

Anony86

Country flag

This is from Brazil

Do note that Gripen NG has one full tonne more internal fuel than LCA.

This is from Saab.
Gripen for Brazil - The Fighter

So, yeah, it has 40% more range than LCA Mk1.
If Gripen NG carries 1 ton more internal fuel than Tejas mk1, Gripen NG is good 1.5 ton heavier than Tejas mk1. And moreover, Tejas mk2 will carry more internal fuel. And range is dependent on fuel fraction and efficacy of the engine. If both Tejas mk2 and Gripen NG has the same engine then it boils down to fuel fraction.

So don't go on the published range by Saab. In that configuration, Tejas too can fly close to 3000km on internal fuel.
Here is the link:
HAL Tejas - Multirole Aircraft - Page 2 of 2

Do you see the Gripen beaten by the Rafale in every category? Or should I explain how the graph works?

No, spare me. Please keep your graphical interpretation by yourself.

Because, nowhere I claimed Tejas mk2 will be superior than Rafale or even equivalent to Rafale. I just said whether we really need Rafale that badly to perform the specified missions in the IAF war doctrine that we should go ahead and buy this machine even when we have to pay $200million per unit.

And not to forget the fighter finally won the bid in Brazil. There are no taker of Rafale, even their own air force don't want this overly priced fighter.

Go through this link Rafale News: Switzerland, Evaluation report quick analysis it explains why Rafale shouldn't be compared to even a low end medium combat aircraft like Gripen NG, let alone the LCA.
Again the same, no doubt on Rafale's capability but is it that badly needed? Bcoz, if we go ahead with this, IAF virtually will have no money left to seal the other tenders and will blackmail MOD and will snatch a pie of either from Indian Army's budget or Indian Navy's budget which will stall the overall modernization programme. FYI, IAF will even find it hard to allocate funds for the tenders that has already been sealed/granted to go ahead.

Deep Penetration Strike is a very important requirement for any "serious" air force. It's not going to change ever. Google Prompt Global Strike program and figure out why the USAF wants a global capability to launch a precision strike.

And modern aircraft are expected to comply with requirements that take care of all present and future threats.
Good to Talk realistic but more important is to talk subjective. IAF and USAF have nothing in common, other than few machines. Deep strikes mission of USAF is carried by stealth fighters and bombers not with some fighter which will illuminate the ground radar from more than 100+km. Accept it. Rafale with PGM under it's belly can easily be tracked by 1980's era radar from more than 100 km.

Thus, be specific and site example from Indian context. In which of the previous war, did IAF went for deep strike mission on all front? Yes deep strike is required in one/two or few cases, but for that we have Su 30MKI in good numbers. And deep strike is possible only when adversaries frontal defence is destroyed. By then war will come to an end as no country these days fight a war like WWII.

Oh, and what if the enemy already has two AK-47s, let alone 200? Everything above LCA's weight category is better than LCA.
That's what I wanna highlight, that enemy don't have Ak-47 and there is no chance of them inducting in recent future.

No, just adding an AESA radar doesn't make the aircraft any more deadly if it doesn't have the same type of weapons systems to bear, even after we remove performance from the picture which is sadly not in LCA's favor.
Who claimed that by just adding AESA, it will be equivalent to Rafale avionics. I am accepting the truth that it may probably take another decade or more by DRDO to achieve the avionics level of what Rafale has. But to note, for deterrence purpose, we don't need avionics of this level. Avionics developed by DRDO with little extra effort and R&D is good enough to have upper hand against our adversaries (excluding 5th gen fighters as Rafale no way can stand against a 5th gen fighter).

Oh, great. Bring in preconceived notions into something you understand little about, that when Tejas is yet to demonstrate a speed above mach 1.4 with afterburners.
Wow. A fighter which successfully flew at Mach 1.1 at sea level, didn't/can't achieve Mach 1.4 . Silliest comment ever

Oh, yes. Your extensive experience in the aerospace industry has also helped you conclude that ToT is a lie. Never mind the fact that we are making Su-30s in India with said ToT.
If you go and watch the same video from vayu, but the third part, one of the air commodore was expressing his grief that how this has not yet been achieved and will not be achieved in Su 30MKI case. True, that many technologies have been shared but still after a decade and half more than 30% content are simply assembled by HAL. Please gain full expertise before quoting such arrogant comment.

Do you even know or understand why we need ToT?

ToT is an extremely important aspect of producing aircraft in the country. Without ToT there would have been no aerospace industry to begin with. After Saturn designed the AL-31 engine for the MKI, they transferred technology to HAL for its manufacture. After NAL designed the composites required for LCA, they were the ones who transferred technology for its manufacture to HAL. Without the transfer of either technologies, HAL wouldn't be able to manufacture any of these.

Aircraft are expected to be in use for at least 4 decades, so this ToT comes in use when you want to maintain the aircraft over such a long period. If during a ground strike mission, the LCA lands back with bullet holes in its body, it is this ToT that helps in fixing the holes and send the aircraft back in the air. Without ToT, the aircraft will have to be sent back to the OEM (NAL in this case), just to fix it.

If LCA's engine has holes in it tomorrow, the engine will have to be flown back to the US for repairs. Expect that engine to come back only after half a year. OTOH, the M88-4E can be fixed on the field very quickly because of the ToT from Snecma.
Look if you want to discuss something, I am ready for it. But don't even in dream try to insult me. You are talking about ToT and don't even know about the TOT level of Su 30MKI. I know more than enough for you silly ones to quote such statement. What is happening when Su 30 engines are failing in mid air? What happened in case of blackout in mid air? And similarly many others. Can HAL rectify these problems on their own? The answer is a big NO. Because these technologies have not been transferred by Russia. And similarly there are many other critical Technologies. No country shares the entire source code or their own defence establishment will come under scanner if their customer shares these codes with their adversaries. So grow up and understand the exact meaning of TOT. Surely in case of Rafale the TOT will be higher but not entire.

What HAL do is simply repair and overhaul? Though these saves time and money, none of these are comes under the umbrella of what we call critical technology.

How long have you been following the LCA program? For me it's been 15 years. When LCA started flying, we all expected the aircraft to be inducted within half a decade. We have been waiting for so long that the people I was watching it with have retired and some have died. Some of their grandkids are now working in the ADA. And through all this time, LCA is yet to be inducted.

So what give you the confidence that Mk2 will "easily" achieve FOC? Heck, the program directors who started with LCA are now retired or dead.

And wow, 9 squadrons of Mk2? You sure live in a very carefree world. Let's have IAF and IN order their first Mk2 squadron to begin with, before we fantasize about the actual number of orders. If MoD increases squadron strength, then why not, we can order squadrons in the double digits and production can go on until 2050. We can even dream of selling thousands to other countries like in the case of the Mig-21 and F-16.

This is one point I agree with, albeit partly. LCA will be cheap, but as cheap as it is, it is also going to be equally less capable compared to Rafale.

But $10 Billion is too expensive for 10 squadrons of LCA, or are you suggesting Rafale will cost $40 Billion for 10 squadrons? Sure, you can live in your fantasy, but at least keep it consistent.

And just throwing money at AMCA is not going to result in anything. ADA has asked for $2-2.5 Billion for AMCA and GTRE has asked for $2 Billion for a new engine. So, money will be disbursed once ADA has progressed well sufficiently in the LCA program. I don't know what's the benchmark for AMCA to start, but it looks like since Mk2 has only finished half of its design stage, funds will be allocated once ADA has chosen an engine for AMCA and the preliminary design stage begins. Without an engine, it is pointless to start AMCA.
If you thought that Tejas can get inducted within 5-6 years of it's first flight, then it was your mistake. Or something came out of you because of patriotism. It is very common for a fighter to undergo a decade of extensive flight trials before it is inducted. I agree in Tejas's case it's more than a decade. But you also need to consider that this virtually is the first indigenous fighter development program undertaken in India. It is common to take a bit longer and in addition to that change in ASR requirement by IAF made the matter worse. Entire flight performance and other related development had to start afresh.

And how you reached that figure of $10billion. The 25000 crore sanctioned for Tejas is for both mk1 and mk2 with the cost of development of Kaveri engine inclusive. One-third and more of it went towards building aeronautical base in the country which future development will able to use. Kaveri has found it's marine version and Indian railway has shown interest too. Add 20000 crore for 10 squadron. I would still cost $7.5 billion with so much output to show the world.

It is very obvious for ADA/DRDO to ask for $2billion for development of a 5th gen fighter. Just search and find out how much other countries are spending.

Last edited:

p2prada

If Gripen NG carries 1 ton more internal fuel than Tejas mk1, Gripen NG is good 1.5 ton heavier than Tejas mk1. And moreover, Tejas mk2 will carry more internal fuel. And range is dependent on fuel fraction and efficacy of the engine. If both Tejas mk2 and Gripen NG has the same engine then it boils down to fuel fraction.
Both Gripen NG and Tejas Mk2 are set to have the exact same empty weight. Both will be between 6.5-7 tonnes. So, the fuel fraction on Gripen is far greater.

So don't go on the published range by Saab. In that configuration, Tejas too can fly close to 3000km on internal fuel.
No it can't. I have official info on LCA's range and it is significantly less than 3000 Km.

Clue: LCA Mk1 carries fuel internally and manages to travel 1700 Km. You already know this. LCA carries the same amount of fuel in tanks as it does internally, but range from these tanks are just half what it gets with internal fuel. This is because of the extra weight and drag of the tanks. So, 1700+(1700/2). The answer is Mk1's ferry range with full drop tanks.

Gripen on the other hand carries ~3.5 tonnes of fuel internally and gets the same range as Rafale on internal fuel. Rafale has greater range because it carries more fuel externally. The addition of CFTs will further extend the range.

Because, nowhere I claimed Tejas mk2 will be superior than Rafale or even equivalent to Rafale. I just said whether we really need Rafale that badly to perform the specified missions in the IAF war doctrine that we should go ahead and buy this machine even when we have to pay $200million per unit.
We should buy it even if it costs $300 Million because LCA cannot perform the same missions. And I have already posted links where Air Marshals and Admirals are talking about Rafale costing $85 MIllion.

And not to forget the fighter finally won the bid in Brazil. There are no taker of Rafale, even their own air force don't want this overly priced fighter.
Incorrect. ALA fought tooth and nail to get more orders and they are. A 5th tranche of Rafale have been ordered. The company has an indent to manufacture 180 Rafales which the govt cannot back out of. The French govt has put orders on hold to allow Dassault to build export aircraft for India and possibly Qatar.

Also, a lot of times in the future, IAF was the first customer to a lot of jets. We were the first export customer to the Jaguar, Gnat, Ouragan, Mig-21, Mig-29, Su-30MKI etc. We start and the others follow.

And Rafale did not win the bid in Brazil. It won the technical evaluation like in Switzerland, Korea etc. However the tenders were not designed like our tender where we chose the two best aircraft. The other competitors basically chose any aircraft that was cheap. SO, they weren't looking at all the capabilities Rafale offered.

Again the same, no doubt on Rafale's capability but is it that badly needed?
Very, very badly needed. As of last decade. So, delays shouldn't happen.

The fact is any engine failure in the Himalayas means the pilot is also dead. He won't survive in those conditions, so it becomes imperative to operate only twin engine jets in the region. Apart from that the adversary is so powerful that a lot of single engine fighters won't really survive the threat in the region. We are not longer looking at a defensive posture when it comes to China, we want to be able to send an invasion force into Tibet. So, the equation has changed, we can also be the aggressors. And an aggressive force is going to need a more capable aircraft.

Bcoz, if we go ahead with this, IAF virtually will have no money left to seal the other tenders and will blackmail MOD and will snatch a pie of either from Indian Army's budget or Indian Navy's budget which will stall the overall modernization programme. FYI, IAF will even find it hard to allocate funds for the tenders that has already been sealed/granted to go ahead.
IAF will have to find a way to balance out the budget with the others. The actual cost isn't unaffordable.

Good to Talk realistic but more important is to talk subjective. IAF and USAF have nothing in common, other than few machines.
Incorrect.

Deep strikes mission of USAF is carried by stealth fighters and bombers not with some fighter which will illuminate the ground radar from more than 100+km.
No. Deep strike missions of USAF are carried out by a whole host of aircraft and a minor part of it is by using stealth fighters.

USAF is the daddy of all the air forces, except may be the Soviets. So, a direct comparison is moot. But suggesting deep strike is not possible for IAF is like saying you don't know shit about the air force and their mission.

Accept it. Rafale with PGM under it's belly can easily be tracked by 1980's era radar from more than 100 km.
Sure. And that's why it carries a very highly capable EW suite to protect itself.

The Rafale As Canada's Next Fighter – Part 2 | Ottawa Citizen
During NATO Mace XIII exercise in Slovakia, a Rafale B flew unmolested over a S300 radar (and was the only type engaged in the exercise able to do it)
Thus, be specific and site example from Indian context. In which of the previous war, did IAF went for deep strike mission on all front? Yes deep strike is required in one/two or few cases, but for that we have Su 30MKI in good numbers. And deep strike is possible only when adversaries frontal defence is destroyed. By then war will come to an end as no country these days fight a war like WWII.
Deep strike was exercised in every single mission of every war. But during the previous wars we didn't have a dedicated deep strike aircraft until Jaguar came into service.

Deep strike missions is the future of air warfare. This is what modern warfare is all about today. The goal is to strike at the heart of the enemy. So when someone comes up and says is cannot be done, that person has seriously no idea what he is talking about.

That's what I wanna highlight, that enemy don't have Ak-47 and there is no chance of them inducting in recent future.
Then have 100 and they will induct 1000. They are building ~200 Flankers of each version and they have already reached J-16 in the process. We can expect hundreds of Flankers at the front. And all new jets they are inducting today are more capable than LCA is in any role. They have already deployed AESA radar on their J-10s. Their J-16s are in the process of being inducted with AESA radars.

You have no idea about the capabilities of the Chinese. Go to the China section and start reading. As it stands today, they have better aircraft than we do and are inducting more than us.

Who claimed that by just adding AESA, it will be equivalent to Rafale avionics. I am accepting the truth that it may probably take another decade or more by DRDO to achieve the avionics level of what Rafale has. But to note, for deterrence purpose, we don't need avionics of this level. Avionics developed by DRDO with little extra effort and R&D is good enough to have upper hand against our adversaries (excluding 5th gen fighters as Rafale no way can stand against a 5th gen fighter).
It's good that you are not blinded by nationalistic stupidity, but what makes you think what DRDO is doing is enough? And what makes you think that Rafales are meant to counter Chinese 5th gen? Even if the Chinese induct their J-20 by 2020, it is still going to take them years to get to a decent number and build tactics for it.

Do you know that this isn't our first MRCA tender? We had a RFP out in 2004 with aircraft like Gripen, F-16 and Mirage-2000 and then we withdrew the RFP in 2005, and reintroduced it in 2007 with requirement for more capable aircraft like Rafale, EF and Super Hornet. Do you know what other incident coincided the time of withdrawing the first RFP? The Chinese operationally inducted the Vigorous Dragon in 2005. The J-10's induction coincided the MRCA program. So, that's where Rafale's efforts are focused at. When we go to war with the Chinese we are going to have to fight off hundreds of this bird, and we will need another equally capable or better bird to strike them back. IAF did not want more MKIs, and it was of strategic sense that they induct something as capable to counter this new threat while also not having to waste time learning to fly the new bird. So, IAF wanted a proven medium MRCA that could be inducted very quickly, so they didn't want a prototype either. At the same time, they wanted the OEM to transfer all technologies related to manufacturing and maintaining the bird at home, make it sanction free like the MKI.

And you also forget about another important requirement. Deep Strike. Yeah, we need the Rafales to go in and start the party by killing all the S-300 rip-offs. LCA can't do that. Other than the fact that it does not have equivalent avionics, it doesn't have the range or payload to handle such missions. Such missions require a lot of planning before committing to a strike, which require aircraft to fly a lot and have AWACS decide when to initiate a coordinated strike. LCA will have to land by the time all of this is done. And the aircraft will also have to be carrying enough bombs so all the radars and vehicles connected to the batteries can be take out in a single pass. That's what Rafale can do, even MKI cannot do this currently.

For the J-20, we plan on upgrading our MKIs to the latest standards possible and induct the FGFA alongside the J-20. Sure, the FGFA has been delayed a bit, but that doesn't change the fact that it will be the FGFA protecting the Rafale from future air threats.

There is a reason why IAF has not announced any NE or North Indian bases for LCA yet. The current known bases for LCA are Sulur, Thanjavur and a base in Rajasthan which is yet to be named (or it is named and I don't know it).

Wow. A fighter which successfully flew at Mach 1.1 at sea level, didn't/can't achieve Mach 1.4 . Silliest comment ever
This is the truth. LCA has to achieve this speed at high altitude where the air is thin. And the air intakes are too small for the engine to swallow enough air. They tried making changes with the auxiliary intakes, but still haven't managed a speed greater than mach 1.4. The design speed is mach 1.6.

If you go and watch the same video from vayu, but the third part, one of the air commodore was expressing his grief that how this has not yet been achieved and will not be achieved in Su 30MKI case. True, that many technologies have been shared but still after a decade and half more than 30% content are simply assembled by HAL. Please gain full expertise before quoting such arrogant comment.
What? What are you talking about?

It is clear you don't know but all the series 4 aircraft you see for MKI are indigenous. And this,
http://www.-------------------/2011/07/total-indigenisation-of-indian-sukhoi.html
"Next year, HAL will achieve 100 per cent indigenisation of the Sukhoi aircraft — from the production of raw materials to the final plane assembly," V. Balakrishnan, general manager, Aircraft Manufacturing Division, told.

"We're currently testing the locally produced engine for the Su-30MKI and are planning to launch its production in 2010." HAL would manufacture 60 Su-30MKI fighters in the full production cycle till 2015, he said.
Note that this is from 2010. The first indigenously made MKI was handed to the IAF in 2011.

Both the engine and the aircraft are produced fully here in India. This is the truth. Full indigenization of the MKI was a total success.

Look if you want to discuss something, I am ready for it. But don't even in dream try to insult me. You are talking about ToT and don't even know about the TOT level of Su 30MKI. I know more than enough for you silly ones to quote such statement.
If my posts have come out a bit harsh, then I apologize. There are plenty of characters on this forum who have your sentiments but are not willing to learn.

What is happening when Su 30 engines are failing in mid air?
Common sense. Do you see the fleet grounded? No. So is the media is making a mountain of a mole hill? Yes.

The engine failure incident was reported by the air chief himself and he said not to be worried about it and that the fleet will continue flying as is. He also said that there were just a few incidents.

No MKI engine has fallen from mid air.

What happened in case of blackout in mid air?
You mean a bad software patch? That was rectified. It just needed a software patch. Haven't you used a software or played a game where they release a patch to fix a bug? It's the same thing.

And this happened to very few jets, specifically the ones supplied by the Russians. It wasn't fleet-wide. This type of glitch happens to all air forces. The F-22's screens blacked-out when a squadrons was being relocated to Okinawa. It was a simple software error which they fixed after landing.

List of software bugs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While attempting its first overseas deployment to the Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan, on 11 February 2007, a group of six F-22 Raptors flying from Hickam AFB, Hawaii, experienced multiple computer crashes coincident with their crossing of the 180th meridian of longitude (the International Date Line). The computer failures included at least navigation (completely lost) and communication. The fighters were able to return to Hawaii by following their tankers, something that might have been problematic had the weather not been good. The error was fixed within 48 hours, allowing a delayed deployment.
Can HAL rectify these problems on their own?
It is unnecessary for HAL to rectify it. If sanctioned by Russia, then HAL would fix it, or else the team which wrote the software will rectify it.

There are people who can rectify any defect in a car, or a bike or a computer. But they always prefer to send it to the OEM so they get to use their warranty. It is the same thing.

Because these technologies have not been transferred by Russia. And similarly there are many other critical Technologies. No country shares the entire source code or their own defence establishment will come under scanner if their customer shares these codes with their adversaries. So grow up and understand the exact meaning of TOT. Surely in case of Rafale the TOT will be higher but not entire.
Everything related to the MKI was transferred. Source codes for radar, flight control system, computers, everything. Without it we cannot integrate our own weapons on it, like we are with Astra, Sudarshan and Brahmos. More is expected from Rafale.

This is from Shiv Aroor's twitter acc.

What HAL do is simply repair and overhaul? Though these saves time and money, none of these are comes under the umbrella of what we call critical technology.
Not in the case of MKI, not in the case of Rafale. I have already explained why.

If you thought that Tejas can get inducted within 5-6 years of it's first flight, then it was your mistake. Or something came out of you because of patriotism.
Oh, right. So, it wasn't because ADA announced it publicly in 2001?

Yeah, it was blind patriotism to have believed that ADA will finish development by 2006 and FOC by 2008, it was their own words. My mistake for believing them.

It is very common for a fighter to undergo a decade of extensive flight trials before it is inducted. I agree in Tejas's case it's more than a decade. But you also need to consider that this virtually is the first indigenous fighter development program undertaken in India. It is common to take a bit longer and in addition to that change in ASR requirement by IAF made the matter worse. Entire flight performance and other related development had to start afresh.
ADA should have said this instead of taking the IAF and the country on a wild goose chase. Yeah, it was they who promised to deliver the LCA in 2006 to the IAF. That was the first date for IOC. And Phase II was expected to be finished in 2008, that's FOC.

And how you reached that figure of $10billion.
You brought it up.
Your quote:
Price:- Price of Tejas mk2 will be atleast one-fourth of Rafale. At $10 billion we can have 10 squadron of Tejas
The 25000 crore sanctioned for Tejas is for both mk1 and mk2 with the cost of development of Kaveri engine inclusive.
The figure is wrong and it is exclusive of Kaveri. The money sanctioned for Tejas Mk1 and Mk2 is 13000 crores and naval variant development is 3000 crores, inclusive in the 13000 crores. Kaveri is separate at 3000+ crore including the K-9+. We don't know how much is being spent on K-9+.

The 1550 crores used to setup the production line is not from this budget. IAF, IN and HAL are paying 25/25/50% for it.

So, it is less than what you have mentioned.

One-third and more of it went towards building aeronautical base in the country which future development will able to use.
Much more is required. FGFA program will see the addition of $2 Billion in infrastructure in the country. AMCA will also see a pretty large sum spent on infrastructure. This process will repeat for every project and not just for LCA.

Kaveri has found it's marine version and Indian railway has shown interest too. Add 20000 crore for 10 squadron. I would still cost $7.5 billion with so much output to show the world.
It's like you're pulling figures from thin air. No research, nothing.

It is very obvious for ADA/DRDO to ask for $2billion for development of a 5th gen fighter. Just search and find out how much other countries are spending.
This is just the beginning, phase I of the project, not completion of the project. There is the phase I where we will build the first prototype, that alone is $2 Billion. The equivalent to this was 2000 crores spent on LCA's first demonstrators and prototypes. Beyond that there will be two or three times more money spent for phase 2 which will be until FOC. This is separate from engine development which will cost well above $2 Billion.

So, India will also be spending billion of dollars just like other countries. Even FGFA will see a total investment of $11 Billion by two countries.

That just goes to show why Tejas is simply a low cost aircraft.

Jagdish58

Good to see healthy debate & expert knowledge poured on this topic , but IAF has made his intention very clear they want to induct Rafale LCA MK1 & LCAMk2 is just a last prority for them when it comes to the combat fighter aircraft

Only if good sense prevail on this current govt & they cancel the deal or downsize it and transfer the those funds to FGFA , AMCA & LCA MK3 instead

Because J-20 & J-31 will soon be with china & it is certain pakistan will get J-31 as well , can rafale hold its ground against those 5th gen duo?? :rolleyes:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles