All set to put unmanned crew module into orbit

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

ISRO's unmanned crew module undergoing tests at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram. The maiden flight of GSLVMark III in December 2014 will put the unmanned crew module in the orbit.

There is frenetic activity at Sriharikota for the maiden lift-off of India's newest and the biggest launch vehicle in December, which will put an unmanned crew module into orbit.

The mission is a stepping stone to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) ultimately sending astronauts into space in the module.

The 3.65-tonne module will get de-mated from the topmost cryogenic stage at an altitude of 125 km and return to the earth. At an altitude of 15 km, there will be an "aerial ballet," featuring three huge parachutes which will open up one after the other to slow down the module's descent. The module is expected to splash down in the sea near the Andaman archipelago and will be recovered by the Indian Coast Guard and ISRO personnel. The entire flight from the lift-off to the splash-down will last about 20 minutes. It is a passive, experimental and sub-orbital mission.

ISRO Chairman K. Radhakrishnan said, "Everything is progressing well" for the GSLV-MkIII launch in December. The rocket weighs 630 tonnes and is 42.4 metres tall.

"We are ready. Everything is pucca," said M.C. Dathan, Director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram, which has built both the GSLV-MKIII and the unmanned crew module. Two gigantic strap-on motors, each of which will use 200 tonnes of solid propellants, have been strapped around the core stage in the second launch pad. The core stage will use 110 tonnes of liquid propellants. Above the core stage is the cryogenic stage. The module will be "encapsulated" with the cryogenic stage on November 26, said Mr. Dathan.

S. Somanath, Project Director, GSLV-MKIII, called it India's "biggest, heaviest and the next generation" launch vehicle.

All set to put unmanned crew module into orbit - The Hindu

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
ISRO's unmanned crew module undergoing tests at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram. The maiden flight of GSLVMark III in December 2014 will put the unmanned crew module in the orbit.

There is frenetic activity at Sriharikota for the maiden lift-off of India's newest and the biggest launch vehicle in December, which will put an unmanned crew module into orbit.

The mission is a stepping stone to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) ultimately sending astronauts into space in the module.

"We are ready. Everything is pucca," said M.C. Dathan, Director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram, which has built both the GSLV-MKIII and the unmanned crew module.

S. Somanath, Project Director, GSLV-MKIII, called it India's "biggest, heaviest and the next generation" launch vehicle.

All set to put unmanned crew module into orbit - The Hindu
VERY GOOD NEWS

i really suggest we should have some of isro folks in our fighter plane development projects

ISRO is progressing despite humongous sanctions and on the other hand;-
(a) our FGFA is stuck,
(b) MMRCA is stuck
(c) AMCA - stuck on drawing board ?
(d) LCA took aaaaggges ( ages ) to become operational
and now - - mass production to replace mig 21 - -- is..... stuck
(e) kaveri jet engine development is stuck after more than a decade of "development "

many of our critical non-isro projects are (? ) ........yes, theyre stuck ... except for a few small stuff
example :- where is our Akash tablet ....... is it really a success ? china is mass-advertising
their huawei products here in europe

I hope Modi-ji & Co will take note of the screaming differences .

Last edited:

Otm Shank2

Why mess with a good thing and split up the most positive technological project India has?

anyways..has India put any animals into space and returned them safely like other space programs have done?

DingDong

Country flag
VERY GOOD NEWS

i really suggest we should have some of isro folks in our fighter plane development projects

ISRO is progressing despite humongous sanctions and on the other hand;-
(a) our FGFA is stuck,
(b) MMRCA is stuck
(c) AMCA - stuck on drawing board ?
(d) LCA took aaaaggges ( ages ) to become operational
and now - - mass production to replace mig 21 - -- is..... stuck
(e) kaveri jet engine development is stuck after more than a decade of "development "

many of our critical non-isro projects are (? ) ........yes, theyre stuck ... except for a few small stuff
example :- where is our Akash tablet ....... is it really a success ? china is mass-advertising
their huawei products here in europe

I hope Modi-ji & Co will take note of the screaming differences .
Our Greedy and Corrupt Generals are responsible for the kind of mess DRDO finds itself into. They killed the institution so that they could keep getting kickback.

People at DRDO have lost their motivation. I could give a real example when DRDO was pressurized to downgrade their equipment so that a foreign supplier could win the "tender". I have seen it. I won't go any further.

ISRO grew because it became the master of it's universe. There was no (or limited) meddling from outside.

pmaitra

Our Greedy and Corrupt Generals are responsible for the kind of mess DRDO finds itself into. They killed the institution so that they could keep getting kickback.

People at DRDO have lost their motivation. I could give a real example when DRDO was pressurized to downgrade their equipment so that a foreign supplier could win the "tender". I have seen it. I won't go any further.

ISRO grew because it became the master of it's universe. There was no (or limited) meddling from outside.
I would add the ISRO is successful because there is no foreign country that is willing to give or sell some of the critical technology to India that goes into ISRO products, with the exception of Russia, and to a lesser extent, and unwillingly, France.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles