Aligarh Muslim University's library out of bounds for undergraduate girls

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

This is a knotty issue.

The AMU is a minority institution and hence is free to run it as per their rules to including religious rules.

While indeed, if there has been a representation from girls students, that the library should be opened to them also, it needs to be looked into. However, the call is that of the University and not the Govt. And one could always go to Court to resolve the issue.

If looked in the modern societal context, then denying library facilities could be denying knowledge even though the books are delivered to the women's hostel after an online search.

It has to be said that an online search cannot compare with a physical search of books and of what is in the books; at least for some.

I maybe wrong, But I, for one, find it easier to read a book and flip through it before selecting or buying rather than read a book online or on a computer.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

^^

I understand that among conservative Muslims, it might not be desirable for boys and girls to study together in the library or classroom. I have a solution, why not shut the doors on the buys instead - and for a change?

Now a question to the right wingers and those that accuse the commies of being pro-Muslim: Any word of appreciation for Brinda Karat? I guess not! :namaste:

4. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

^^ Much as I hate Brinda Karat, I strongly appreciate her for this move. :thumb:

I am not sure if the cow piss connoisseurs will acknowledge this. Let us see.

5. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

and i thought AMU was set up to increase level of education in minority community.

does AMU gets grants form central governrment ??

6. Ray

It is a minor administrative issue.

It can be solved by having different timings for women and men.

Or, different days for women and men.

But watch, how the media, political parties and the Govt will play it out as if its is a national catastrophe.

7. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Forget shutting doors. If they are a co-ed university, they can't possibly be discriminating on such basis. It is good to see the communist politicians raising a voice here instead of the Hindu right, which would just drive the Muslim right deeper into their shell.

8. Tronic

It can, or should, only be solved by unrestricted access to the library regardless of gender.

9. pmaitra

Actually Brinda Karat and Prakash Karat, like them or not, don't give a hoot about vote back, although local MPs and MLAs from the Left Parties do engage in minority appeasement. One may hate the left ideology, but looking beyond that, the Karat-duo are really committed to their ideology.

Tronic likes this.
  10. Tronic

Total respect to them for that. I don't hate the left ideology, just hate the fake left in India; but kudos to the Karats. :)

pmaitra likes this.
  11. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I do believe that the issue may not be as it is made out to be.

After all the university claims that the postgraduate students (pursuing Masters) are allowed free (and presumably unrestricted?) access to the library. Then why not the undergraduate female students?

There's probably more to it than alleged gender discrimination.

12. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

The best solution would be allow girls to visit library during 8:00 AM till 2:00PM (boys not allowed, with female security present); during this time they can study and issue important books, and go back home and study or establish a new library for girls!

Barring such an option, I don't see these girls can ever use the library (if I hv interpreted the news correctly)! It's highly important that women are imparted education, especially Muslim women!

As we know Muslim community is conservative to extremity and AMU will not go back on their decision, the only solution is to reserve daily hours for women, till Muslims get more liberal (hopefully, as by the day they are getting more conservative and puritanical)!

P.S: I am sure there must have been instances of young/undergraduate men and women fondling each other in the library - hence the decision!

13. pmaitra

Personally, I think every Indian library, and not only library, but gymnasia should also be co-ed all the time. But then, that's me.

Mad Indian and Tronic like this.
  14. Ray

I saw We the People on Muslim quotas.

The main issue of the people was that lack of educational opportunities for the Muslims.

Indeed, this is a major issue.

Maybe, it would be moving towards educational excellence, if Muslim women too are given access to knowledge that they themselves seek and not the ones that is delivered at their doorstep wherein they cannot search for what they want physically.

15. Ray

It would be a wrong premise that Muslim women are incapable of liaison because they are cloistered!

They are as modern as any other Jane.

One has to see Pakistan or Bangladesh!

It is an illusion that the Mullahs and the conservatives want to portray that Muslim women are kept away from unholy influences!

However, notwithstanding, AMU being a minority institution, they have the right to run it their way.

16. Tronic

Pakistani women are on a whole different level. lol.

From all the Pakistani girls I have associated with, the Muhajir girls are the most conservative ones. The Pakistani Punjabi girls are uber-cool, especially the recent ones who migrate out of that country. They are curious creatures, intrigued by the nightlife and always demanding to be dined out at fine places. With pork being the sole exception, I've seen these girls take down everything (pun intended :lol:), including alcohol.

In my opinion, there should be some fundamental Indian rights which shouldn't be violated, such as this instance of not allowing girls into the library!

17. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

^^ Yes - some 'inalienable secular laws' just cannot be compromised.

Tronic likes this.
  18. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Ha ha ha i dont know who you are calling cow piss connoisseurs here but if i think who i think it is, then I think whom you think they are totally justified in doing it....

Anyway.... this is exactly what we (RIght wing Communals:taunt::taunt:) want, to Liberals(Sry Commies not equal to Liberals but used synonimously here) and Seculars to voice their opposition against all discriminations irrespective of the religion.... We are sick of fighting these kinds of idiots and get labelled dividing forces in return:sad:...

But much more appropriate will be the opposition from the moderate and liberal Muslims:cool2:,,, It will be good on all aspects...

And our(right wing Communals) accusations have not fell on deaf ears it seems:taunt:

So hope is not all lost for India eh???:thumb: