Alert: India grenade blast hurts three at office of ruling Congress party

Rage

DFI TEAM
Grenade blast hurts three at office of ruling party in India

Published: March 14, 2011

GUWAHATI: At least three people including a regional leader of India's ruling Congress were hurt Monday when a grenade exploded at local party headquarters in the northeastern city of Guwahati.

Unidentified attackers hurled the hand grenade inside the office of the regional chapter of India's ruling party, witnesses said. The building was packed with supporters at the time.

Among those injured were Congress general secretary Ranjan Bora and the party's local spokesman Mehdi Alam Bora.

A Congress government administers Assam, of which Guwahati is the largest city. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, police said.

Some 30-odd militant groups are active in the tea- and oil-rich state, where some outfits are battling for independent homelands for ethnic Assamese.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/132473/grenade-blast-hurts-three-at-office-of-ruling-party-in-india/
http://arzepakistan.com/showthread.php?103599-India-grenade-blast-hurts-three-at-Congress-office
http://thenews.com.pk/NewsDetail.aspx?ID=12590

Oracle

30 odd militant groups :pound:

This is the work of either anti talk ULFA faction, or NDFB. I might be wrong!

Oracle

Oh here it comes!

Blast rocks Rajiv Bhavan

GUWAHATI, March 14 – Exposing lax security arrangements in the capital city in the run-up to the Assembly polls, ULFA militants triggered a powerful IED blast at Rajiv Bhavan – the headquarters of the Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) – around 6-50 this evening, injuring five persons, two of them seriously.
The ULFA has claimed responsibility for the blast in an email sent to the media.

The injured include APCC spokespersons Mehdi Alam Bora and Akshay Rajkhowa, both of whom have been admitted to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital (GMCH).

Police said that the blast was the handiwork of the banned ULFA which had earlier issued a threat to Congress workers of the State ahead of the Assembly polls scheduled for April 4 and 11.

Rajiv Bhavan sources said that the blast was quite powerful and caused extensive damage to the room of Bora where several persons were present at that time. "We heard a deafening sound and what followed was chaos, with several persons seen bleeding profusely," an eye-witness said.

Bichitra Choudhury, an APCC spokesperson, said that no senior Congress leader was present in Rajiv Bhavan when the blast occurred. "No senior party leader was present in Rajiv Bhavan at that time"¦the Congress workers are a united lot, and this will only strengthen the resolve of the party to thwart the evil intents of the perpetrators of the violence," Choudhury said.

Assam Governor JB Patnaik condemned the incident, terming it as a dastardly act of terror.

Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, while condemning the incident as an act of cowardice, has instructed the police and security forces to apprehend those responsible for the blast.

A party worker said that the incident betrayed the abysmal security mechanism in the city. "The ULFA had issued a threat earlier to Congress workers but despite that the security at the party headquarters itself has left a lot to be desired. This is a matter of grave concern," he said.

The blast has sent shockwaves amidst the citizens as well. "This is the ruling party headquarters and the place is hardly three km away from the capital complex at Dispur. Obviously, the security arrangements have been poor even though the Assembly polls are due in less than three weeks' time," a local resident said.

It may be mentioned that APCC president Bhubaneswar Kalita was scheduled to hand over election slips to the party workers in the evening hours. However, as he missed his flight from Delhi, he could not attend the function.

Source

Rage

DFI TEAM
30 odd militant groups :pound:

This is the work of either anti talk ULFA faction, or NDFB. I might be wrong!
The guy down the lane, with his six cousins, who wants a separate homeland for the Assamese is a militant group.

But hey, I don't want to tamper with the piece.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ Pakistani news sources. They forgot to add half of India is under Maoist insurgency, Sikhs, Tamils, Kashmiris etc are fighting for a separate country blah blah..

Oracle

The guy down the lane, with his six cousins, who wants a separate homeland for the Assamese is a militant group.

But hey, I don't want to tamper with the piece.
Ask me, I will get you news about NE. You don't have to believe ar$e$ from sh!tholes.

Rage

DFI TEAM
^^ Pakistani news sources. They forgot to add half of India is under Maoist insurgency, Sikhs, Tamils, Kashmiris etc are fighting for a separate country blah blah..
The original news report seems to be from the Dawn. And I respect the Dawn enough, despite all the nonsense I hear from them nowadays, not to tear them apart for their skilled skullduggery.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles