Al-Khalid MBT And Pakistani Armour

neo29

Kunalji ... What is the quickest solution for light tanks in the eastern sector ??? IA has 600 T-55 and even lot of Vijayanta in storage. They could be upgraded and modified for light tanks.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunalji ... What is the quickest solution for light tanks in the eastern sector ??? IA has 600 T-55 and even lot of Vijayanta in storage. They could be upgraded and modified for light tanks.
@Neo29,
Presently IA deployed its T-55/T-72 in NE sectors but both are unable to provide tank support coz they cannot fit in the narrow roads to the front-lines, Only BMP-2s can be there for Armour support, Vijayanta lack spare-parts also they are same in size of T-55 therefore no advantage..

pankaj nema

Country flag
The real strength of Indian Armed forces is known to the government AND Our enemies.
But we the common people can only indulge in speculation whether we have enough artillerry or tanks.

The behaviour of our enemies can be a useful tool for gauging India's REAL strength AND not what IS DECLARED by the government

Our two enemies inspite of having an evil eye on us have been basically quite.

Pakistan is ALWAYS worried about an Indian attack.

I BELIEVE that we are in a good position vis a vis pakistan And against China we do have a lot of work to do.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I don't remember that few months ago IAF brought unspecified number of CBU-97 Sensor Fuzed Weapon. Massive armored invasion will be a great target for them.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
US offers India $375mn defence deal

WASHINGTON: The Pentagon has notified the US Congress of its offer to sell India CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapons (SFW) worth $375 million to help the "Indian Air Force to develop and enhance standardisation and operational ability with the United States".

"This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to strengthen the US-India strategic relationship," the Pentagon's Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) told the US Congress on September 30, a day before the Senate approved the India-US civil nuclear deal.

It will also help "improve the security of an important partner, which continues to be an important force for political stability, peace and economic progress in South Asia," the agency said, assuring lawmakers "the proposed sale of this equipment and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region".

The proposed sale comes three weeks after US offered India a $170 million deal for the sale of two dozen Harpoon air to ground anti-ship missiles during Defence minister AK Antony's visit to Washington.

"India intends to use the Sensor Fuzed Weapons to modernise its armed forces and enhance its defensive ability to counter ground-armoured threats.

"The missiles will assist the Indian Air Force to develop and enhance standardisation and operational ability with the United States. India will have no difficulty absorbing these missiles into its armed forces," the DSCA said.

"There will be no adverse impact on US defence readiness as a result of this proposed sale," it added.

The SFW - a 1,000-pound class weapon - is designed to accurately detect and defeat a wide range of moving and stationary land and maritime target threats with minimal collateral damage, while not leaving a single hazardous dud.

India, DSCA said, "has requested a possible sale of 510 CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapons, 19 CBU-105 Integration test assets (12 live tails, seven inert tails) and five CBU-97 Integration test assets as well as associated equipment and services". The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $375 million.

New Delhi, the agency said, has requested offsets for the deal, but at this time agreements are undetermined and will be defined in negotiations between India and the contractor. The prime contractor will be Textron Systems Corporation of Wilmington, Massachusetts.

Textron Defence Systems describes its SFW as "the first and only combat-proven, clean battlefield weapon of its kind in US Air Force inventory".

The SFW contains 10 BLU-108 submunitions, each with four smart Skeet warheads, for a total of 40 warheads. One SFW can simultaneously detect and engage many fixed and moving land combat targets within 121,400 sq mts.

This wide-area capability enables the SFW to halt an invading force and attack air defence sites while significantly reducing the number of aircraft sorties, it says.

Designed for stand-off deployment from a wide selection of aircraft, SFW's versatility and superior lethality make it the weapon of choice for anti-armour, destruction of enemy air defence and many other combat missions.

SFW can be deployed from US or North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) tactical aircraft in all weather conditions, day or night, and is presently certified on most US Air Force fighter and bomber aircraft.

Each smart Skeet warhead can defeat a variety of moving and stationary targets, from heavy armoured battle tanks, soft-skinned vehicles to maritime threats. Many of these include parked aircraft, mobile radars and jammers, air defence vehicles and support vehicles.

Read more: US offers India $375mn defence deal - The Times of India US offers India $375mn defence deal - The Times of India

Rahul92

Its a double game by USA it raises its voice says that another 26/11 may occur to sell its arms

alphatechnocrat

Americans have been doing this throughout history. Directly or indirectly arming one party and then selling weapons to their enemy to balance the situation. It won't work on us that easy...

charlie

Country flag
Americans have been doing this throughout history. Directly or indirectly arming one party and then selling weapons to their enemy to balance the situation. It won't work on us that easy...
yep you are right the americans are always like that, the world would have been a better place if Russia was the only super power, it was actually the american thinking that there could not be 2 super power there should be only be one

T72Commander

I believe the Arjun will prove to be a good tank once more experience is gained with its operation. I know there has been great frustration in India over its development. However, India should be admired for taking on such a project. Engineering and construction of such large combat vehicles is not an easy task. The experience gained in its development is priceless - even if the Arjun does not live up to its expectations, the knowledge base that has been acquired can be applied to future combat vehicle developments. The ultimate goal should be Indian self-sufficiency in weapons development. Also, older systems like the T-72 and even the Vijayanta can still have their place on the modern battlefield. I used to be involved in military studies work. Once a conflict breaks out, both adversaries usually use their best, front line equipment early on in the battle. After awhile, these systems - on both sides - are used up through attrition. At that point, older, second line equipment has to be employed. The important thing was to have equipment to be able to fight with. Back in the 1980s, the US Army deployed the M-1 Abrams MBT to Central Europe. We were facing T-64s and T-72s on the other side of the Iron Curtain. If war would have broken out, both our M-1s and the Warsaw Pact -64s/-72s would have quickly cancelled each other out. From then on, the battle would have been fought with our M-60s against their T-62s and T-55s. Don't discount your older systems - they can still make a valuable contribution. A strong India is a force for world stability!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I believe the Arjun will prove to be a good tank once more experience is gained with its operation. I know there has been great frustration in India over its development. However, India should be admired for taking on such a project. Engineering and construction of such large combat vehicles is not an easy task. The experience gained in its development is priceless - even if the Arjun does not live up to its expectations, the knowledge base that has been acquired can be applied to future combat vehicle developments. The ultimate goal should be Indian self-sufficiency in weapons development. Also, older systems like the T-72 and even the Vijayanta can still have their place on the modern battlefield. I used to be involved in military studies work. Once a conflict breaks out, both adversaries usually use their best, front line equipment early on in the battle. After awhile, these systems - on both sides - are used up through attrition. At that point, older, second line equipment has to be employed. The important thing was to have equipment to be able to fight with. Back in the 1980s, the US Army deployed the M-1 Abrams MBT to Central Europe. We were facing T-64s and T-72s on the other side of the Iron Curtain. If war would have broken out, both our M-1s and the Warsaw Pact -64s/-72s would have quickly cancelled each other out. From then on, the battle would have been fought with our M-60s against their T-62s and T-55s. Don't discount your older systems - they can still make a valuable contribution. A strong India is a force for world stability!
The Indian Army T-72s have been upgraded (Ajeya program) and are still the workhorse of the army, but Vijayantas have numerous problems and are far too obsolete to be used effectively...

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
one word to title of the thread................NEVER

Agantrope

The Indian Army T-72s have been upgraded (Ajeya program) and are still the workhorse of the army, but Vijayantas have numerous problems and are far too obsolete to be used effectively...
Vijayantha tanks were retired in 2008

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I wonder how can Pakistan outrun us in numerical quantity in MBTs. They don't have the money for even sheltering the flood victims and they can now afford to buy 3,000+ tanks? Al Khalid and Al Zarrar are newer tanks to the PA and therefore it isn't that easy to just buy off so many in a go.

neo29

Its just another hype just like the news of Pakistan having more nukes and better missile system. Obviously the news is floated to provoke India into speaking something but it will never wok

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
I respect you ajtr, but could you back you claims so that i ll be double happy :D.

Sun Tzu 'Never underestimate your enemy'
Yes....India can always buy 1000000's of used un-used tanks of the self as they did during kargil with artillery shells...that will make everyone happy including policos and generals.There were news of t-80s/t-72s lying rusting in russia army can buy all those tin dabbas that will make them jump with joy.

Last edited:

charlie

Country flag
I wonder how can Pakistan outrun us in numerical quantity in MBTs. They don't have the money for even sheltering the flood victims and they can now afford to buy 3,000+ tanks? Al Khalid and Al Zarrar are newer tanks to the PA and therefore it isn't that easy to just buy off so many in a go.
Al Zarrar is a peace of crap we dont need to worry about those tanks, i mean no matter what Upgrade you do still it's a T-55 tank and Al khalid is quiet an ok tank and pakistan army plans to induct 3000+ tanks they didnt induct till now so it will take time, the only tank that we should be worried about is the T-80 that pakistan has but again the number of T-80 is just 300 i guess

pmaitra

You are correct. However, what's stopping Pakistan from using aid money or borrowed money for buying tanks? Nothing really. Haven't they been doing this since 1947 as per their doctrine of a National Security State?

blade

What a gr8 surprise.pakistan outrunning india in tanks!!! And still people keep posting here and adding to nonsense.When even china till day dont have a single tank which can match ARJUN people still hv time to compare al khalid & arjun. A nice time pass i suppose.Well carry on guys why should i play a spoil sport here. Enjoy.O yeah we do need SFWs desperately as superior pakistani tanks might choose a saturday night to attack india when most of our armoured devision boys are busy dancing in the discos while the t-90 & arjuns have taken good shelter inside the car parking facility in the underground.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Since tanks by nature are offensive weapons, and since the days of Pakistan launching a preemptive attack on India like they did in 1965 and 71 are long gone, I don't think acquiring large numbers of tanks is in the PA's top priorities atm.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles