Akash Surface-to-air Missile

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
It is late because they did not start the project. They had a plan to start project in 2010 but for years they discussed whether new akash will be command guided or will have a seeker. They just started project not more than 2 years back. So it is bureaucratic delay and not the development delays. If Akash NG comes out good, it will be a very good cost effective addition to our existing capability and we shall be able to sell it cost effectively to our friends.
Previously it was Akash 2, now its Akash NG. Which is not mere extended range, but with new seeker and other things like TVC. Hope it is VL canister missile.

kstriya

Country flag
Do we any cost comparison between Akash and same class systems?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Do we any cost comparison between Akash and same class systems?
Indian missile is cheap, also we are at the mercy of foreign maker for source code, they dont share and if info is leaked we are screwed.

For Indian product, we can change product at short notice, can do all sorts of things.

Scrutator

Previously it was Akash 2, now its Akash NG. Which is not mere extended range, but with new seeker and other things like TVC. Hope it is VL canister missile.
I think they were toying with the idea of putting a seeker on the missile ever since they thought of increasing the range. TVC sounds new though - this might change the flight dynamics quite distinctly!

charlie

Country flag

Well Akash can do the job of PAC 3 if they are able to intigrate a good seeker as well as make some heavy design changes to accommodate ACM motors.

gadeshi

Well, Akash will jump from Kub to Buk-M3/Shtil-1 in one leap.
Sounds promising :)

Will it have VLS start, serviceless transport/launch containers and network centric abilities of Buk-M3?

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Well Akash can do the job of PAC 3 if they are able to intigrate a good seeker as well as make some heavy design changes to accommodate ACM motors.
its vertical height envelop is not that much, specially for ballistic missile RV and if it can handle RV at that speed. still if we can have system like this i will be happy, as something is better than having nothing at all.

Chinmoy

Country flag
its vertical height envelop is not that much, specially for ballistic missile RV and if it can handle RV at that speed. still if we can have system like this i will be happy, as something is better than having nothing at all.

Waiting to see some missile of Shaurya caliber being adopted as SAM and ABM. With its current altitude of 40 km and range of 700 km, it could turn into a lethal SAM with proper X based seeker and onboard AESA RADAR. Even if its range gets halved in its SAM form, it could be a able competitor to S-400 and much lethal then S-300.

Bahamut

Does it have ASER seeker or a dual mode seeker? It would nice if they add a machine learning system it in so the capability of missile increase? Does it have tvc or vain thrust?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Waiting to see some missile of Shaurya caliber being adopted as SAM and ABM. With its current altitude of 40 km and range of 700 km, it could turn into a lethal SAM with proper X based seeker and onboard AESA RADAR. Even if its range gets halved in its SAM form, it could be a able competitor to S-400 and much lethal then S-300.
Modified A4 with AD1 or 2 warhead will be our ASAT. I posted the slide of this at DRDO presentation at IIT thread.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Modified A4 with AD1 or 2 warhead will be our ASAT. I posted the slide of this at DRDO presentation at IIT thread.
I ma not talking about our ASAT capability. It would be another beast. I am talking about simple LRSAM of S-400 capability. This idea of adapting Shaurya to act as an SAM is biting me off like anything, don't know why. Also did wrote to DRDO asking if its viable... :rofl:, although yet to receive any reply on that. But I would keep on trying untill I get an answer.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag

See the bottom fins size and compare it to above. Not 100% sure from this if it will be canister. But drdo knows the advantage of canister launch.
I am just wondering that this pic might be of AAD only, why are you ascribing this TVC motor to Akash NG?

charlie

Country flag
These glide bombs are going to cost 20000 USD (dumb) + probably 10000 USD (glide mechanism). For a 30000 USD bomb you can either only put in a cheaper missile or go after the aircraft that can launch it.

Should you choose the second method, you end up wasting a 10 million USD SAM with a Pk of 50% max at its outer ranges. Probably even lower. Idealized Pk that is there on the brochure is without counters and evasions. It relies on Look first shoot first and don't get seen.

Instead why don't you just increase the power apertures and ranges of your radars (Russian radars are peaking at 270KW plus) and get the datalink ranges improved (Rustom-2 datalink is good for 250-350 km with LOS) and get the Akash Battery positioned further towards the possible ingress paths.

60% of the cost of a SAM is its Seeker. Paying that much you have to make sure it works. Yeh eik saand hai jo khata hai kuch karta nahi sirf isliye ke jab jarurat pade (impregnation time) tab kaam pakka kare. Even to ensure this you will still need to work on your radars.
There is a new type of system is already available in the market but I guess it will be export control for next few years to come.

Till now all systems were designed to counter keeping 1960's legacy system as the base. the new system EW is quite dynamic in nature.

https://www.harris.com/perspectives/electronic-warfare/adaptive-ew-the-future-of-electronic-warfare

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles