Air India Privatisation Thread

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Thread for discussing the privatisation of Air India. It has started.

http://www.news18.com/news/india/mo...l-for-disinvestment-of-air-india-1446389.html

My opinion:

No Indian company or consortium of companies would want to swallow up Air India's $7 billion debt. Even if you raise $3 billion by selling off its immovable assets, that's still $4 billion that's better spent starting your own airline and buying two dozen fresh widebody airplanes.

At the same time, $7 billion (Rs 42,000 crore) is an intolerable strain on the Indian Exchequer, if the government chooses to waive it off.

What government can do is auction a 49% stake, with both Indian and foreign players being eligible. Under the terms of sale, Air India will have to scrap its current HR policy root and stem, and replace it with a cutthroat employee performance policy similar to IndiGo or Jet Airways. AI staff should stop feeling like invincible sarkaari karamchaaris. With these many planes and assets, any other crew would have made Air India a very successful airline. They failed, and they don't deserve the protection of the Indian taxpayer.

Later down the line, with its debt under $5 billion, and if its growth prospects are looking up, the government should sell another 46% stake to an Indian player, and retain a 5% stake.

SanjeevM

Country flag
Thread for discussing the privatisation of Air India. It has started.

http://www.news18.com/news/india/mo...l-for-disinvestment-of-air-india-1446389.html

My opinion:

No Indian company or consortium of companies would want to swallow up Air India's $7 billion debt. Even if you raise $3 billion by selling off its immovable assets, that's still $4 billion that's better spent starting your own airline and buying two dozen fresh widebody airplanes.

At the same time, $7 billion (Rs 42,000 crore) is an intolerable strain on the Indian Exchequer, if the government chooses to waive it off.

What government can do is auction a 49% stake, with both Indian and foreign players being eligible. Under the terms of sale, Air India will have to scrap its current HR policy root and stem, and replace it with a cutthroat employee performance policy similar to IndiGo or Jet Airways. AI staff should stop feeling like invincible sarkaari karamchaaris. With these many planes and assets, any other crew would have made Air India a very successful airline. They failed, and they don't deserve the protection of the Indian taxpayer.

Later down the line, with its debt under $5 billion, and if its growth prospects are looking up, the government should sell another 46% stake to an Indian player, and retain a 5% stake.
How much is the total farmers debts waived by 4 states so far? It's bigger than 42000 crore I believe. If they want to divest, they can take a call on this.

I would say money realized from sale should be invested in building mid sized planes within India. China has started making such planes for civil aviation as well as transport aircraft.

here2where

About time they got rid of this junk which exists to only provide for the Haj subsidy, fly sarkari old ex-employee lizards and their VERYYY extended families on foren trips and a stable for old grannies to put lipstick and walk the aisle calling themselves air-servants.

AnantS

Country flag
No Indian company or consortium of companies would want to swallow up Air India's $7 billion debt. Even if you
You have underestimated Tata Group's gullibility when its on ego trip, they have a scapegoat...poor tcs

here2where

... it's good for flying public servants ...
Absolutely unnecessary. With their fat pay scales, they can themselves pay for hauling their and fat spouse's fat ass. GoI's role ends in formulating healthy aviation policies and creating a competitive business environment. That's it.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
About time they got rid of this junk which exists to only provide for the Haj subsidy, fly sarkari old ex-employee lizards and their VERYYY extended families on foren trips and a stable for old grannies to put lipstick and walk the aisle calling themselves air-servants.
When everything is given for free in the name of upliftments then such things happens.
Other example is MNERGA. It has made people lazy and Kaamchor. People get food for free, why would they work? Same in the case of Air India.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
The main reason why AI is up shit creek without a paddle is its highly inefficient operations. As the chart shows (below), Air India has the highest numbers of employees per aircraft. No reputed airline in the world has such a high ratio.

What is the reason for over-staffing at Air India? One reason that is cited for the high number of employees at the national carrier is that it tends to hire staff to please political bosses. In other words, the hiring has little to do with operational requirements and competence but just political connections. This is certainly not acceptable because taxpayers' money is being pumped into this ailing carrier.

And the freebies offered by AI to politicians, bureaucrats and their families are shocking. No wonder they have been opposing privatization tooth and nail.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

A warm welcome, gracious hospitality and delicious indian cuisine all whilst on board my most favourite aircraft, the Boeing 777-300ER. In this new episode, we'll take two flights, AI 101 and 102 between Mumbai (BOM) and New Delhi (DEL) and then back to Mumbai (BOM). I'll show you everything from the exceptional ground service concierge style handling to the wonderful onboard dining. The usual inflightexpert favourites are included too - like bubbles, wine and on the first sector in this video, a personalised tour of the First Class cabin and seat functionality too. This was my first ever trip to India - and I had such a wonderful time in both Mumbai and Delhi. India sure knows how to do First Class properly - their hotels are some of the most exquisite I have ever seen anywhere and in the air, First Class on Air India is a wonderful flying experience. Do join me, and I'll show you why I LOVE to fly with Air India.

==================

Published on Dec 21, 2016
Complete review of Etihad Airways A380 The Residence from Abu Dhabi to Mumbai.

=========
=========

Of course there is no competition with etihad airways ..

I wish we have something like this, but again we don`t have A380s ..

captscooby81

Country flag
If PM Modi and FM Arun Jaitley pull this job it will be the greatest achievement of this govt in 3 years and future as equal to demonetization move but this one will have no political values ....

Indigo is interested ..So does TATA ..Now BJP poster boy Ajay singh of Spicejet may also show some interest

TATA s always had an eye for Air india ever since JRD was insulted by Indira and Air india was nationalised

With Vistara and Air asia need to see TATA s will get their hands on Air india ..But it was always in the rumour if AI gets privatized it will be Tata which will be the first person to show interest ...

Along with privatisation the govt should seriously pursue the Case against Praful Patel and Chiddu for making this financial disaster for AI ..Especially with that big flight order and vacating lucrative routes in the GCC sector to the bigger birds from Dubai and Doha ...

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

A warm welcome, gracious hospitality and delicious indian cuisine all whilst on board my most favourite aircraft, the Boeing 777-300ER. In this new episode, we'll take two flights, AI 101 and 102 between Mumbai (BOM) and New Delhi (DEL) and then back to Mumbai (BOM). I'll show you everything from the exceptional ground service concierge style handling to the wonderful onboard dining. The usual inflightexpert favourites are included too - like bubbles, wine and on the first sector in this video, a personalised tour of the First Class cabin and seat functionality too. This was my first ever trip to India - and I had such a wonderful time in both Mumbai and Delhi. India sure knows how to do First Class properly - their hotels are some of the most exquisite I have ever seen anywhere and in the air, First Class on Air India is a wonderful flying experience. Do join me, and I'll show you why I LOVE to fly with Air India.

==================

Published on Dec 21, 2016
Complete review of Etihad Airways A380 The Residence from Abu Dhabi to Mumbai.

=========
=========

Of course there is no competition with etihad airways ..

I wish we have something like this, but again we don`t have A380s ..
1st class travel is reserved only for our worthy politicians and their families as it's FREE! Not for ordinary souls like me! The max I an afford is business class!! :tsk: Jeeez!

captscooby81

Country flag
As the saying goes in the Worldwide Airline industry "The fastest way one can become millionaire from billionaire is by starting an airline" which Anand Mahindra knows will be his future if he goes for Air India ...

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Indigo has submitted a formal request to take over Air India and Air India express international flights.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Indigo has submitted a formal request to take over Air India and Air India express international flights.
What happens to the Rs 50,000 crore debt? I think they need to sell off the huge properties/assets they own in India and abroad that are worth thousands of crores.

Global Defence

Articles