Ahmedabad to be slum free city

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by parijataka, Sep 25, 2012.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Gujarat govt nod to 8 slum rehabilitation plans

maomao and aragorn like this.
  3. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

not possible:sad::sad::sad:

4. Libertarian

Libertarian Regular Member

^Why do you say that?

5. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

If Modi ji is around for next few years, quite possible.

maomao likes this.
  6. Blackwater

If there is no slum ,

so who will vote,

or

Jali vote

or

vote in lieu of daru ki bottle

or

vote for 100 ka note

:cool2::cool2:

lcatejas likes this.
  7. Blackwater

read my post 5

8. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

This is not Congress this is NARENDRA MODI.
    He don't need slum dwellers to vote for him.He has done so much development that people are happy with him.And he is not a kind of person who cares for some votes,this man has a vision of a developed gujarat(read:developed India)!

Libertarian, maomao and mki like this.
  9. cloud_9

cloud_9 Regular Member

Slum free cities in India is a distant dream.You provide houses to the slum dwellers.....more will come leaving there houses behind in villages.A few will rent there newly owned houses and return back to their slummy way of life at another place.

Slums have ruined planned cities like Chandigarh :mad:

Sridhar likes this.
  10. Blackwater

Every politician needs vote and 80% votes comes from there.

my comments are not party specific

this is Indian political structure,you cant deny.

i also like modi. but its under his leader ship the liquor mafia flourishing in Gujarat..

11. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Slums eradication does not mean that that class of people will vanish.

They can on House Loan over years get one room Slum Eradication Building with common lav and bath something like a concrete chwal.

Political will is required.

maomao likes this.
  12. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

And how can you say that ?? The number of Liquor mafias will increase,if there's demand.People must be blamed,not the politicians as politicians need support of those people who love Daru.You know, this isn't a point which can make modi inferior to others.

And no,here,every slums vote for congress yeah there's always some swing but Modi wins because of mostly urban votes.And now you can count rural votes,too.

maomao likes this.
  13. Blackwater

who make policies ,who control police,who makes law??? people or politicians ??

On topic ,you can not deny the importance of slum votes in Indian politics . Gujarat is no different

14. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

Please, prove it?

15. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Blackwater, living abroad has made you delusional man. Mumbai also will be slum free within the decade. Compared to 10 years back, Mumbai's slums have shrunk by 20% already through PPP redevelopment.

16. Blackwater

who is the chief minister of Gujarat ??? president Obama.

As chief minister he should take notice of what happening in his state.

anyhow iam not against modi.

17. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Well, that's the main problem of India.But now govt here understood that these people must not be encouraged to build slums again. They never let anybody to build any new slum herd. 

Btw,Even slums are provided on rent in some of areas.:) Some people never want to come out from that life.India is full of such people because they've been encouraged to live in such places from a long time.They don't work, they just move around to have desi darus,to do avara-gundagardi because they get some flow of money directly or indirectly from govt. MNREGA is the prime example.

18. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

Although I do not know all the details, 'rewarding' people for living in the slums is poor allocation of resources.

I know in Bihar my uncle was directly involved in government grants to some farmers where he was getting more sophisticated farming equipment (modern tractors and the like) and handing it to farmers in his village for heavily discounted prices/leases (virtually free). He went back to those farmers and most of them had SOLD those equipments for short term gains, without considering the long term consequences.

This is a pattern that is reflected among the poor elsewhere in India. The poorer people, understandably, live much more within the short term rather than considering the long term. This sort of thinking is not going to be changed by simply gifting money (in this case, in the form of land), away. It needs a much more comprehensive strategy of educations and skills training, getting people bank accounts, helping them get on their feet, not stand on the government and other taxpayer money. Investing in the infrastructure required may be far more costlier in the short term for the govt too (cf. giving living land) but will have a much bigger impact.

Now, don't get me wrong, it is/will be a great achievement. I certainly think giving housing is absolutely necessary all over India - but don't give it for free - give it on a conditional basis, i.e. people living in government housing have to be working, sending their kids to school etc.

The skills training bit I mentioned I find the most shocking. In India (I am speaking on behalf of Bihar, but I daresay it is evident in the rest of India as well), still there is very little opportunity for skills training for manual labourers. Some government programs are even in place in countries like South Africa to fill this need. Of course, the developed world have extensive skill training facilities where it almost acts like a mini-university degree for the training programs the prospective workers have to go through. There is no opportunity for anything like that in India, and if it is done, it is only by private companies.

Developing such centres will be excellent programs that we can use to get these people down into a career path - and help them stand on their own feet, rather than doing crappy jobs that don't help them much - e.g. cooking/cleaning/driving rickshaw.

chase likes this.
  19. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

slums in cities are not merely due to lack of planning by respective municipalities,

lack of job opportunities in villages and much opportunities and facilities in cities driving many villagers to cities.no way they can afford a rented house in a city so they will settle by making slums

by just giving pucca houses to 2500 people/ just around 500 families will the problem be solved.govt's needs long term approach to this issue

20. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

You are not getting the point.Even if what you are saying is true then Congress will only get vote from slum dwellers.
    Yes, Congress is a slum party,it fools poor peoples to get vote.
    Narendra Modi has a strong fan base in the middle class.

21. Blackwater

you are also not getting the point every politician even modi needs slm votes.

i also like modi but election culture in India is something you cant ignore