Ahmedabad Rioting: Tension brews, violence spreads to Kalupur

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by mehwish92, May 28, 2010.

1. mehwish92

mehwish92 Founding Member

AHMEDABAD: An incident of stabbing was reported from the notorious Patwa Sheri area on Wednesday night as violence spread to the Kalupur on the third day. Five police personnel were injured in fresh clashes between two communities in Kalupur and the police opened 10 rounds of fire and lobbed 45 teargas shells.

Shahpur reported stone pelting incidents in the Golwaad and Bhilvaas areas, even as a sanitary worker was stabbed near Patwa Sheri in the Karanj area of the walled city late on Wednesday night.

However, the resilient public decided to get on with business and at least 80 per cent of the bazaars opened in Shahpur, Kalupur and Dariapur on Thursday. Meanwhile, the police arrested nine persons for inciting tension in the walled city.

A communal riot broke out on Monday night when a marriage procession passed by a mosque during prayer time, in Shahpur. One person died in the backlash the following day leading to more tension even as stabbing incidents were reported from Mirzapur and other areas on Wednesday.

According to Kalupur police, a communal clash started around 11.30 pm on Wednesday in Durga Mata ni pol area. According to a complaint filed by sub-inspector BK Tatania, mobs of around 500 persons attacked one another with stones, brickbats and petrol bombs.

"The attack continued for more than two hours. While trying to disperse the mob, RK Kumbharwadia, inspector of Kalupur police station, and four of his men got injured," said a Kalupur police station official.

"What is worrisome is stray incidents in the areas that keep the tension high. There might be nothing the entire day but as night falls, the groups target each other and disrupt normalcy in the area. We want to appeal to the public at large not to support such elements and contact police control room immediately when such situation arises," said a senior city police official about the incident.

Rumour mills working overtime in walled city
    For the residents of areas, including Bhilvaas and Nagorivaad, it was impossible to move around for last two days. Thursday came as a respite for them. "We are not in support of the violence. Our area has become symbol of communal unrest for the city. We do not know how it started or who did it. We just want to end it as soon as possible," said Afzal Shaikh, a shopkeeper and resident of Shahpur.

Rumours of molestation of girls of different communities also made rounds. Another fear was stored-up stones and brickbats on the terraces. "Why did the police not conduct any combing operation in last three nights even when acid bulbs, petrol bombs and brickbats were used extensively? How were these available at such short notice," asked a resident of Khanpur.

Control room phones kept ringing
    Residents of walled city kept control room officials busy over three days and nights to inform them about new incidents or to know about the situation. "We received more than 100 calls everyday from residents and commuters who wanted to know the situation. In a way it helped us to know where to deploy the forces. On the other hand, some of them proved to be hoax and were meant to divert our attention," said a senior city police official.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-spreads-to-Kalupur-/articleshow/5982660.cms

3. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Whats happening? Is it sensational Journalism, or Is it really this bad? The Law and Order situation is Gujrat is better compared to other states like UP, Bihar, but stuff like that has to be nipped in the bud. The Govt shouldnt encourage one community against the other, not saying they did that in this case, but just a healthy reminder.

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Freaking idiots with short fuses and also mischief mongering. costs so much to the society and the nation at large. Why cant they understand that much and where is the bloody TOLERANCE gone. i was in Abad just 5 days ago. It was all peaceful. but that city sits on gunpowder which is connected to a fuse that is not too long. doesnt take much to ignite.

mehwish92 likes this.
  5. AJSINGH

AJSINGH Senior Member Senior Member

Modi will control it ,after all best CM in a row for 3 years,

LETHALFORCE and Rahul Singh like this.
  6. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Modi still has Godhra failure at his back. If Modi wanted to, he could have stopped it on Day 1.

mehwish92 likes this.
  7. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Let's pray for people killed in this riot and also pray that no more lives are lost.

8. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Police should pick up all local criminals in their book and all DADAs and BHAIs temporarily whenever they smell such thing. Generally these criminals act as savour of their comunities encourage and lead mobs. Without them normal people would hesitate to get involved in violence as it is not their habit.

ahmedsid likes this.
  9. Yusuf

Normal people dont even go out and indulge in violence. Its as usual those fence sitters with nothing to do and vested interests.

Singh likes this.
  10. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Senior Member Senior Member

Its is not that easy, you simply can't go crush with guns and 'lathi-charge'. There are lot of emotions and passions involved and police has to be sensitive in dealing with it. In Bharat a riot mainly come in control when old people of each community police for peace by group talks leading to thought manipulations among mob leaders.

As far as MODI hatred is concerned, well peoples enjoys it and you too can. Go ahead and have a blast.

11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Modi is good as a Business Administrator, not quite the same with law & order, no? If so, why then all those unnecessary riots? I do not hate Modi. But if he is so good, why are riots still happening?

Btw, the bold part in quotes is a little hard to understand. :)

ahmedsid likes this.
  12. Rahul Singh

Explaining. Almost all the time a riot come in control when old peoples and religious leaders of both community appeal to rioters of their respective community for peace. They usually go doing this by public appeals or group talks where they try to convince people involved in mobbing to cease their activities.

I hope this time i'm clear to understand.

OT. Can only say Business- administration and 'Law & Order' are not exclusive to each other, for later, former is hell must.

HINTS: It took many days to control Hyderabad riots and Thailand government is still unable to control RED SHIRTS....

mehwish92 likes this.
  13. truthfull

truthfull Regular Member

he is the best cm india have ever had , he is targeted by secular media for being anti congress. even if one person is killed upa starts targetting bjp govtments ,but if 100 are killed in congress ruled states then nothing happens.

LETHALFORCE, Rahul Singh and F-14 like this.
  14. Oracle

Oracle New Member

/\/\ Arre bhai log. I did not mean any harm to any political group. All I meant is that there should be no killings in any state for any reason whatsoever. Gujarat is developing like crazy and I appreciate that. However why should there be killings & riots in the first place? The responsibility lies with the CM of the state. If a riot breaks out in Kolkata or say Delhi, I will blame the CM's of those states too. I have no political affiliations. I did not blame NDA or BJP in particular nor did I sing praise of UPA. To me all are equally culpable if people are killed.

15. Yusuf

I would blame those goons, idiots, mischief mongers or may be someone with vested interest who started this in the first place. What business did he have in creating problems during a marriage procession in front of mosque, not matter what time it was prayers or otherwise. Or did the marriage procession have similar people who did something near the mosque that incited someone there. Either ways, those who did this should spend the rest of their lives in jail and this madness has to stop. Where is the tolerance level gone God only knows.

16. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Right, but how come the CM of a state has this level of poor intelligence? Goons, Goondas whatever you name are there in every state, why not teach them a lesson once and for all. While I talk about the failure of the CM in addressing this issue, which is lingering for years now, people are indirectly accusing me of God knows what. If people in the security establishment of Gujarat are that crap, throw them out and bring in capable guys. Whatever be the situation, there should be a zero tolerance policy towards people involving in riots, killings and strikes. Is it very tough to understand or you guys do not understand Hebrew?

ahmedsid likes this.
  17. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Why not protest then? I do protest. I do not have access to the Home Minister or the PM, so I protest here. You should start doing the same.

Justifying rioting in Gujarat and comparing it to riots elsewhere, without accepting that Modi has failed on this issue is a shame.

18. Yusuf

This case does not call for any intelligence. You cannot gather intelligence on random people. If i am a mischief monger and want to start a riot, it would be very easy for me to do that. You have these stupid incidents of provocation of someone putting a pig in a mosque etc. Is that necessary? Why would you want to do that? Obviously a perverted mind or vested interest can do that.

I would count in intelligence failure only during the Godhra riots which was very systematic. But not such acts where suddenly a marriage procession turns to a riot in front of a mosque.

19. Oracle

Oracle New Member

About the intelligence thing, I was talking in general. About random mischief mongers, put up CCTVs in sensitive areas and when any provocative thing like that (what you mentioned) is caught by CCTV, arrest those and throw them in jail for an indefinite period. I would also go a little further and request police not to charge sheet those bigots. Without charge sheet, no one can claim they are in jail, and let them rot in there. The world would be a much better place with those scums locked up or killed. See, Yusuf, if I really want to do something for the good of common people, I can do that. I need to have that will.

20. Yusuf

For that we get laws like POTA which then starts another story.

Well, it just requires a bit of sense from all to live in peace and coexist. Thats all. There is a lot more to do in this world than bicker about things like religion and caste and what not.

21. Rahul Singh

Which sentence or even any single word of mine looked to you like justifying rioting?

Thailand plus Red Shirts was used as an example to show how mere application of force doesn't control any riot and Hyderabad was used to show the importance of talks in between representatives of groups which are rioting on religious lines in order to bring them to compromise . We all know how appeals from religious leaders worked when police was failing to get situation to normal even after forcing curfew.

On Modi. Well you go on saying what you want but Modi did't failed at all, nor even local police station head. In Gujarat dealing with religious tension is not that easy and ruthless use of force may result into something for what Gujarat has a long history. There even 'Kite-flying' and Indo-Pak cricket match can result and had resulted into lage scale rioting.

Dealing with sensitive issue you need to have patience and this requires time.

Then go to Antonia Maino aka Sonia Gandhi, ask her to approve 'GUJCOC' which as a matter of fact have been passed by Gujarat assembly twice.

After that must not forget to applaud Sri Modi.

Last edited: May 28, 2010