Ahmedabad metro to run on wind power

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
The title is misleading, I don't think the metro would run completely on Wind Power."¨"¨
  • Wind Power turbines will be connected to the State grid"¨"¨
  • By extension, the metro will be connected to the State grid"¨"¨
  • When wind is inconsistent, it'll draw more energy from the grid. No batteries involved"¨
"¨"¨JMT"¨"¨"¨"¨"¨Comparison with Solar Energy isn't appropriate. Wind Energy is actually cheaper than Nuclear Energy"¨"¨
"¨"¨From the chart, we can see that Solar power is truly over-hyped
"¨"¨"©I wonder why people always think about COST to set up an eco friendly power sources and think it's a hype. Well, I understand it affects economy and against the rule of investment and productivity but somethings should be viewed from different angle.This things are future and one shouldn't be hesitated and should throw money for further research."©"©Btw, a recent development in Solar cells showed they are effective upto 40%+.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
"¨"¨"©I wonder why people always think about COST to set up an eco friendly power sources and think it's a hype. Well, I understand it affects economy and against the rule of investment and productivity but somethings should be viewed from different angle.This things are future and one shouldn't be hesitated and should throw money for further research."©"©Btw, a recent development in Solar cells showed they are effective upto 40%+.
All Eco friendly sources are not hype. Wind Energy as you can see from the chart is quite cost effective, but Solar has a long way to go

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
@ UTK ^^^ pmaitra's point was very valid dude. Hybrid cars are not as environment friendly as it is made out to be. It is at best can be said to be a better efficient emitted. Where do you think the electricity for charging come from. Who Will add the carbon emission of that?

But if the power used fir electricity gen is nuclear or non conventional then you can claim the hybrid as economic friendly. Pmaitra's point wad never about cost dude.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Now, coming to solar power supplanting loss of power when there is no wind, all I have to say, it is too impractical, and costly. For any
Imagine the kind of batteries that would need to store power enough to run the entire metro for a hour. Wind speed is never consistent. To get over daily as well as seasonal variations, reserve wind farms will have to be factored in even though they may be rarely used. All such storage solutions increase the cost of power that is already expensive. Wind power is a great idea but not convinced by the OP that it can be used as a primary source to power metros. All this ofcourse, if people are no longer concerned about "prohibitive costs"! :rolleyes:
And what happens when there is not enough wind on a particular day? Passengers wait until wind starts blowing again? I can understand if wind power is used for a very small percentage of the power requirements. The article makes it sound like the trains will run solely on wind power!
seriously guys? :dude:

when 2 cents n00bs like you and me are analyzing and raising question likes "hey, what about if the wind stops" :dude:

then i am sure, the scientist and engineers and advisers and consultants of this project have already thought about it.

pmaitra

What is wrong with Chenab bridge Now you are saying that the Hundreds of engineers who have
designed analysed and are making this bridge are fools

And GOI is throwing money
Did I say that those engineers are fools? If yes, then quote me.

I did say not enough research in done in India so one should not assume enough research has been done in this wind-mill-powering-metro project. The Chenab Bridge saw problems beause not enough geological studies were done prior to commencing construction. That resulted in loss of money and time.
J&K rail link: Sreedharan blows whistle on safety - Times Of India

Now, they have had to invest a lot more than expected to make it safe. No further on this subject, but if you want to discuss this, open a new thread. I have made my point. Not enough research is done and so we should not assume people who plan projects always do enough research.

Modi is only taking rightful credit
You are entitled to your opinion. My objection is to the opening post, and everyone else going crazy about Modi heralding the dawn of the golden age in India.

What he is doing is far BETTER than calling your opponents as MAOISTS
As Mamta didi did recently or celebrating KKR' cricket victory in IPL as HER own Achievement
This is off topic, so I'll ignore it.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
@ UTK ^^^ pmaitra's point was very valid dude. Hybrid cars are not as environment friendly as it is made out to be. It is at best can be said to be a better efficient emitted. Where do you think the electricity for charging come from. Who Will add the carbon emission of that?

But if the power used fir electricity gen is nuclear or non conventional then you can claim the hybrid as economic friendly. Pmaitra's point wad never about cost dude.
:dude: seriously?

i am talking from the USA point of view. that why i used gallons and miles and dollars instead of rs, petrol and litters. i don't need to say that texas electricity is produced from nuclear power.

even if electricity is not produced from nuclear. it is still cost effective and environment friendly, why? why?
because

volt uses very very less power to charge up the batteries compared to running your TV at your home.

plus, prius is NOT a plug in hybrid. it makes its own electricity and charges the battery on the fly.

in my previous post, i said about monthy expense.

camry = 32.5 x 4 = 130$
prius = 16.25 x 4 = 65$
volt... well = 20-25$ only

so in other words camry(regular fuel car) burns 130$ worth of fuel that is 40 gallons of fuels..
prius burns only around 20 gallons of fuels
while volt may burn upto 5-6 gallons of fuels.

in my previous post i also talked about battery life and it's carbon foot print to produce and recycle.

plus, volt and prius has almost zero emission as it runs mostly on batteries :fyeah: or half of the time

so which one is environment friendly here?

so :bplease: please go and research more about nissan leaf, chevy volt and toyota prius before commenting like a n00b.

Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
All Eco friendly sources are not hype. Wind Energy as you can see from the chart is quite cost effective, but Solar has a long way to go
solar energy cannot produce electricity when there is a solar eclipse :p

bad news for the indian economy :sad:

Last edited:

pmaitra

"¨"¨"©And those thermal effects would do what ?? Melting down whole southern and nothern poles' ice ?? Increase of some LOCAL temperature won't harm environment."©"©Btw, what you're trying to prove here ?? Modi is wrong or wind power is bad ?? Or trying to prove Modi a bad person by alleging wind energy a bad one ??
Read my links that I have posted. Read what happened in Texas. Then see if you still have these very questions that you are asking me.

pmaitra

UTK, we are not discussing cost w.r.t. electric cars. We are discussing pollution.

POLLUTION - being discussed.
COST - not being discussed.

Got it?

Now chill!

P.S.: I have not even once mentioned hybrid cars. If you can, then quote me. You need to learn to read before responding.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
oh really do you know how the car charges itself from the run? Use your brain and tell me where that energy comes from

And dear boy you said carbon print for manufacture and travel not about electricity consumption. And any link to show hat the consumption of a electric car in term of electricity is less than that for tvset ?

Again how many watts of electricity can be generated from that much gallons of petrol. Do the math and then tell me how I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
UTK, we are not discussing cost w.r.t. electric cars. We are discussing pollution.

POLLUTION - being discussed.
COST - not being discussed.

Got it?

Now chill!

P.S.: I have not even once mentioned hybrid cars. If you can, then quote me. You need to learn to read before responding.
He is thinking he knows everything. Leave him dude

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
pmaitra I read the link. Look man global warming not same as local temp rising global warming Ian trapping of the excess heat from outside in. But local temp rise is due to stagnation of the already existing energy. It does not cause global warming.

Then the reason for alarm in that article is not global warming or climate change but rather effect of local temp on local farms. But if the winds farm located away from them then no problem though there is no need for that

pmaitra

pmaitra I read the link. Look man global warming not same as local temp rising global warming Ian trapping of the excess heat from outside in. But local temp rise is due to stagnation of the already existing energy. It does not cause global warming.

Then the reason for alarm in that article is not global warming or climate change but rather effect of local temp on local farms. But if the winds farm located away from them then no problem though there is no need for that
Oh, that was not meant for you.

Yes, I agree. Those wind farms need to be away from the habitable places.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
@pmaitra regarding second article. Well two doctors here can certify that as crap. And nausea and vomiting are not even serious dude. They are nothing. Not to mention the fact that no research has established a connection regarding that.

Anyway. The point is the wind energy is the least polluting power generator as of now and Will remain so till we can harness fusion power:D

pmaitra

@pmaitra regarding second article. Well two doctors here can certify that as crap. And nausea and vomiting are not even serious dude. They are nothing.

Anyway. The point is the wind energy is the least polluting power generator as of now and Will remain so till we can harness fusion power:D
Actually, the noise that we can hear is annoying, but even more harmful is the noise that is not within the human audible range. It is similar to the ill effects of carrying a mobile on your chest pocket or having blue-tooth ear plugs. Face it dude, every development brings with it some hazards, and newer types of illnesses.

Nuclear energy is the way to go, but not blindly. We need to find places that are not densely populated and are in low-risk seismic zones. When things are merry, everyone is happy, but when disaster strikes, nuclear plants can bring apocalypse.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
oi who edited my post alone without editing UTK post in which he called me a noob :rage:.. ---- this mobile version, can't even see who edited my post:rage:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
pmaitra :dude:

Wind energy is not a new phenomenon dude. And where did you learn that infra sonic sounds are harmful? Let me just say that there is no evidence for the wind power causing physical harms from its past say centuries of use;). You do know that windmill is not a recent technology don't yo . It has Ben in use even before the the advent of electricity.

Besides wind energy hundred times better than nuclear energy in regard to environment man. Any time anyday:truestory:

pmaitra

pmaitra :dude:

Wind energy is not a new phenomenon dude. And where did you learn that infra sonic sounds are harmful? Let me just say that there is no evidence for the wind power causing physical harms from its past say centuries of use;). You do know that windmill is not a recent technology don't yo . It has Ben in use even before the the advent of electricity.
This probably won't cause much harm:

But these close to habitable areas will:

Besides wind energy hundred times better than nuclear energy in regard to environment man. Any time anyday:truestory:
Sure, I could agree with that. You have a point.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
^^^^actually they don't. Anyway if people believe that then its their wish. The price of plots near that area Will fall and market pragmatists ones like me Will buy it up and live like a boss there:accepted:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles