Ahmedabad metro to run on wind power

parijataka

Country flag
Gujarat run by fascist communal forces does it again! They really need a good dose of Congress rule to put them in their place, out with Narendra Modi/BJP in Gujarat. Carbon credits also will be claimed by Gujarat govt as the project is going to be run on green power.

Metro rail bets on wind power to run its trains

Gandhinagar : In a first in the country, the Rs 15,000-crore Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar Metro Rail project is likely to have a dedicated 20 MW wind power generation plant to run its trains and meet power requirements at its stations and other utilities. The Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) for the project, Metro Link Express for Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad (MEGA) Company Limited, recently invited expressions of interest from companies that are in wind power generation to set up and run the dedicated wind farm for the Metro project. Sources said this would be the first Metro rail project in the country to run on "green power" for which carbon credits would also be claimed.

The capital cost of 1 MW of wind power is Rs 4.5-6.85 crore, which is slightly higher than the cost of fossil fuel power. However, the running cost of a wind farm is very low as the fuel cost is zero and cost of operations and maintenance are very low. The likely cost of a wind power plant dedicated for Metro rail is around Rs 110 to Rs 120 crore.

The Metro rail is proposed to cover a 44-km route in its first phase. Later, the government also plans to link Dholera with Ahmedabad by the Metro rail.
The state government first came out with Metro rail proposal in in 2005 and it was accepted by the Centre in 2006. Once complete, the Metro rail is estimated to ferry 17 lakh commuters daily.

Zebra

Country flag
Analysis: German rail to run on sun, wind to keep clients happy

By Erik Kirschbaum
BERLIN | Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55am EDT

(Reuters) - It won't be easy to run a national railway on renewable energy like wind, hydro and solar power but that is what Germany's Deutsche Bahn aims to do for one simple reason: it's what consumers want......

full story: Analysis: German rail to run on sun, wind to keep clients happy | Reuters

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"Consumers in Germany have made it clear they want us all to get away from nuclear energy and to more renewable energy," Hans-Juergen Witschke, chief executive of Deutsche Bahn Energie, said of the railway's attention-grabbing revised targets that exceed the government's already ambitious national aims.

The hype.

Photovoltaic panels in the spectacular glass roof of Berlin's main station produce 160,000 kw/h of electricity a year -- meeting about 2 percent of the Hauptbahnhof station's needs.
The reality.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Gujarat run by fascist communal forces does it again! They really need a good dose of Congress rule to put them in their place, out with Narendra Modi/BJP in Gujarat. Carbon credits also will be claimed by Gujarat govt as the project is going to be run on green power.

Metro rail bets on wind power to run its trains
And there we got Yadav bap-bhai-beta-bahu shutting down malls after 7 PM in UP.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
---- the more I read about Gujarat the more I hate CongrAss and paid media and most of all the pseudo secularists

When entire India is reeling under depression here is a govt which is investing in project after project.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
---- the more I read about Gujarat the more I hate CongrAss and paid media and most of all the pseudo secularists

When entire India is reeling under depression here is a govt which is investing in project after project.
There was nothing in the thread that warranted that post.

Its a very good thought and i always wondered why railway network throughout India does not run on renewable sources of energy. Bangalore metro too could have run on wind and solar power.

Good on Ahmedabad metro.

Tolaha

And what happens when there is not enough wind on a particular day? Passengers wait until wind starts blowing again? I can understand if wind power is used for a very small percentage of the power requirements. The article makes it sound like the trains will run solely on wind power!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
And what happens when there is not enough wind on a particular day? Passengers wait until wind starts blowing again? I can understand if wind power is used for a very small percentage of the power requirements. The article makes it sound like the trains will run solely on wind power!
They usually have batteries as back up. That is why it is a bit more expensive to have wind power. There can always be a secondary line of conventional power just in case entire wind energy stops which usually never happens. Wind mills are usually put in areas that have certain amount of wind year round. It comes with a lot of research on the wind pattern.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Its a very good thought and i always wondered why railway network throughout India does not run on renewable sources of energy. Bangalore metro too could have run on wind and solar power.

Good on Ahmedabad metro.
Who is showing Gujarat growth story is bogus?

Who is saying Modi is a communal bigot?

Who is saying that Modi is a demon?

And who wants Modi to not come to power?
Hate all of them

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Good on Ahmedabad metro.

And who wants Modi to not come to power in India?

I hate all of them.

Do you agree or not that Gujarat is progressing forward each day while we all are stuck with stagnation?

pmaitra

Mr. Ewald's post puts it objectively.

All this hype and hoopla gets Modi fans in a frenzy, when it is firstly a to-be-done project and there is no sound estimate of how much of the Metro's power needs will be met by wind energy.

Good initiative, no doubt, but this has got nothing to do with Congress or about eulogizing Modi. Nehru started harnessing hydel-power long time back after independence. What Modi is going to do is dwarfed by what Nehru has already done, decades back.

So much for 'CongrAss.'

I must give credit to the PR ops carried out by Modi and his entourage.

Well put!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

And who wants Modi to not come to power in India?

I hate all of them.

Do you agree or not that Gujarat is progressing forward each day while we all are stuck with stagnation?
Still, they have taken a environment friendly step. I really don't see any relation between that and the outburst against others.

Chennai too is getting a metro. So it is a progress. If you run it on solar or wind energy, it will mean a wise decision and an environment friendly one. Same with Bangalore. Nothing to crib about here other than appreciate the decision to use wind power for running metro.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Good step but hyped projection by media. This is just a humble beginning. If wind power was such an attractive preposition already, we would've seen many projects in the west.
But anyway, good step is a good step. If not completely and directly a Modi brainchild, I'd still give him some credit as its his government under which all this is happening. Everything nice need not seem to flow from his bare hands like a gangotri. Suddenly our hesitation disappears when we're praising Nitish Kumar :)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
^^^ exactly Viru. That was the point I was making. It was not about the wind energy hulabula but it rather his ability to attract investments and invest in proper stuff like infrastructure. How come media never reports these incidents

And pmaitra said something about Nehru investment which was the only good among the thousand disasters he did. Funny thing is if not for that genius we would have got several more investment and would have achieved what we have now several decades back. Atleast now Modi is taking his state to somewhere good

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
20 MW dedicated line for metro.Hmmm...If it's not fulfilled by wind, govt would use solar energy for it.Big deal huh...."©"©And somebody was complaining that what would happen if wind stops.Engineers won't setup windfarm at any place which has not continuous wind supply.They're not dumb.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Great!

Wind power will not be constant every time. It ll keep on varying, so it's going to be interesting so how they plan for that.

No nonsense approach though, TN generates 7500 Mw of wind energy

pmaitra

Oftentimes, whenever anything new comes up, it is presented as 'development,' and people tend to lap it up. It also happened when many automobile companies switched to aluminium alloys from cast iron for their cylinder blocks, thinking it was a step forward, when it was quite to the contrary.

In any event, apart from the links I have provided, here is an interesting video:

And another one:

The question is, how cost effective will this endeavour be? Also, will the benefits outweigh the negative effects these wind-mills create?

I'd hate to be one in a bunch of hippies jumping up and down in glee while driving an 'environment friendly' electric car, little realizing the amount of coal or fuel oil that was burnt to generate this electricity.

Now, coming to solar power supplanting loss of power when there is no wind, all I have to say, it is too impractical, and costly. For any investor, that is a non-starter.

In any event, let Modi have his moment of glory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles