Agni-VI: India’s Next Missile all set to Surprise the World ?

Discussion in 'Strategic Forces' started by lcafanboy, Jul 14, 2017.

1. lupgain

lupgain Offence is best defense

2. kurup

kurup Regular Member

It can't coast forever .... RV are sub-orbital ..... they don't have sufficient velocity to remain in an orbit ..... hence will be pulled back by earth's gravity .

Cartosat will remain in the orbit bcoz it has sufficient velocity imparted by the rocket ....... but in case of RV the velocity will keep on decaying till it reaches apogee and as a result will not be able to be in an orbit .

Re-entry doesnot require any fuel ..... gravity does that ...... the only fuel requirement if any in space will be for course corrections .

3. Mikesingh

Mikesingh Senior Member Senior Member

For the Agni-5, the apogee is 600 km but a velocity of 24 Mach which has been kept slightly lower than what is required for keeping it in orbit. Thus it's trajectory and speed brings it back to Earth.

The crucial part is re-entry because of high aerodynamic heating due to friction at hypersonic speeds. However more fuel would be required for retrofire, and parabolic corrections from such altitudes to hit a target accurately. Remember, you need to retro from Mach 24 to approx Mach 7 as terminal velocity for accuracy, and atmospheric friction alone is not enough to do that! :)

aditya10r likes this.
  4. kurup

kurup Regular Member

Mach 24 is the highest velocity A5 RV is said to achieve during flight ...... But this max velocity is not achieved at the post boost phase but it is achieved just before re-entry ...... so velocity being kept low to not attain orbit is afaik is not correct .

If you look at the A5 RV you can see 4 thrusters ..... these thrusters does the course corrections , after the boost phase ends and RV is detached .

So I don't know of any retrofiring mechanism that brings the velocity of RV to lower mach figures other than friction .

5. Chinmoy

Chinmoy Senior Member Senior Member

K15 demonstrated boost glide capability? When? Any source for that?
    At best of my knowledge, neither we tested MIRV or MaRV.

6. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

First Agni TD was MaRV........... i posted that from drdo book

bose likes this.
  7. sayareakd

Check out @sayareakd's Tweet:

IMG_20170717_232145.jpg

If dont follow me at twitter, therefore your knowledge is lacking :pound:

Just kidding :rofl:

8. Chinmoy

Chinmoy Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks for enlightening me. I believe this excerpt is from the book released by DRDO on Kalam Sir? Sorry that I missed out on such an important part.

9. sayareakd

No problem, now if we did MaRV 23 years ago, they tested more than 120 prithvis (i lost count), as per book, it appears not going MIRV was political decision, or else A3 and upward are meant to be MIRV.

Now they should not only make MIRV but also multiple kill vehicles for BMD.

I dont think reducing kill vehicle will be much problem for them. They also need to come up with out of box thinking.