Agni-VI all set to take shape

rahulrds1

Agni-VI with multiple nuclear warheads, which can reach targets 6,000 km away, is all set to be developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

It can deliver four or six warheads 6,000 km away

Only in April last, it carried out the maiden launch of Agni-V, which has a range of more than 5,000 km.

So far, all the strategic missiles developed by the DRDO — Agni-I, II, III, IV and V, and the submarine-launched K-15 and its land-based version Shourya — can carry only single nuclear warhead. The DRDO's tactical missiles and supersonic cruise missile BrahMos can carry one conventional warhead each.

"We have started working on the multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles [MIRV] version [Agni-VI]. It will carry four or six warheads depending upon their weight," DRDO missile technologists said. "The constraint is the vehicle's mass."

Although the Union government is yet to sanction Agni-VI project, the DRDO has done all the enabling studies, finalised the missile's design and started working on the engineering part. It had also figured out how to anchor four or six warheads in the vehicle, how to disperse them and the pattern of their dispersal. The warheads could be released in an order, one after another. If one warhead were to hit a place, another could fall 100 km away from it, the technologists said.

Both Agni-V and Agni-VI have three stages, all powered by solid propellants, and their diameter is two metres. And the comparison ends there.

While Agni-V weighs 50 tonnes and is 17.5 metres long, Agni-VI belongs to the 65-70-tonne class and will be 20 metres long. "Agni-VI will be a massive vehicle," the technologists said. It was too early to say when its first launch would take place. It would be road-mobile and blast off from trucks with launching platforms.

The Hindu : News / National : Agni-VI all set to take shape

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
^^ Exactly. 6000 is just a number. It doesn't give away the true range of the weapon. No organisation develops a 5000km missile, followed by a 6000km one. The range has got to be from 8000-11000 Imho. We are possibly looking at Surya ICBM.

rahulrds1

India's Nuclear Missile Program - a 3d animation

Last edited by a moderator:

WMD

6000km doesn't make sense,
i mean u got a missile with 5800km range, which chinese r claiming is actually having 8000km range and there's an article here in DFI where a comparison of A-V and other ICBMs is presented (in dimension wise) and it claims that not only A-V but A-IV is also a true ICBM hiding as IRBM.
so a mere 200km leap in range is worthless.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Re:

^^ Totally agree with both of you ! Its range must be 8000-12000 kms. It's the Surya.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
screen shot of DRDO presentation which i posted two years ago

you can see the MIRV.

binayak95

Country flag
I hope its canisterised for Rapid deployment. But do we need an ICBM of 8000-12000km range. I mean are you going to fire this at the US or Russia????

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
^^ Totally agree with both of you ! Its range must be 8000-12000 kms. It's the Surya.
6000km doesn't make sense,
i mean u got a missile with 5800km range, which chinese r claiming is actually having 8000km range and there's an article here in DFI where a comparison of A-V and other ICBMs is presented (in dimension wise) and it claims that not only A-V but A-IV is also a true ICBM hiding as IRBM.
so a mere 200km leap in range is worthless.
May be DRDO is playing down its actual range again after A-5 ...it could be a full fledged ICBM of 8000-12000 Kms range.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Noob question... How do you do a full range test for something with 10000km range? Set up a target in Antarctica? :confused:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
so we can put MIRV at 100 km apart................:thumb:

I think after A5 India wants to show to world that they have extended range of A6 with MIRVs, plus the classic way of telling the range with number.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Hi, weren't there reports that A5 is MIRV capable. Why is it written in the article that A5 carries only a single warhead?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sir, we need ICBM to cover all of China
we already cover all of China.

Point is that we we can fire 5 A6 and get 25 missiles on the industrial heartland of China. Plus A5 being city busters will take out their capital and financial capital.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
6000km range is quoted just to keep a low profile until the missile is actually developed.the range of this will be in 10000-12000 km like topol-m and it will carry 3-10 mirvs depending on user requirement.no this is not surya which was conceiver in 90s by some enthusiastic drdo scientist but it was never sanctioned and it can target 16000 km.may
be agni 7 with about 80-85 ton weight will be our surya which will indeed be the pinaccle of desi missile technology.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
I hope its canisterised for Rapid deployment. But do we need an ICBM of 8000-12000km range. I mean are you going to fire this at the US or Russia????
As per the OP, it will be canisterised for rapid deployment. Furthermore and quite obviously, it is supposed to be road-mobile.
Yes, we certainly need an ICBM of the speculated range.
World history teaches us that in the global game of politics, there are no permanent friends or enemies. In the first world war, Russia and USA were allies. The time between, they grew antagonistic. They allied again during the second world war. After that, there was(is) the Cold War. Similar history of the British and the French. They were sworn enemies from before Napoleon's times. Then came WWI and WW2. Now, there is a train from Paris to London.
My point is, one cannot risk national security on a hope. Such dumb hope as you will see is exhibited by our highly ignorant PM, MMS. Every other month, he goes through heartburn and anguish for his ignorance and blind hope in favour of Pakistan.
There is no question that the people of Bharatvarsh and USA have no real enmity between them. However, we never know what future holds and should always be ready for any eventuality. Same applies for Russia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles