Agni V Missile test launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
What is this desperation to get a bigger stick ?

I think 15K ICBM is not enough, we need 20K range missile by the end of this year.

trackwhack

What is this desperation to get a bigger stick ?

I think 15K ICBM is not enough, we need 20K range missile by the end of this year.
No Desperation, No one is saying it has to come this year. But it has to come, at least by the turn of the decade.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We have capability to launch rockets in space reaching moon & place 7 satellites on specific co-ordinates in earth's orbit tipped on single rocket.

I think that ensures our ability to build long range missiles according to the threat perception. Announcing that India is going to test 15K ICBM is not declaration of capability, its a statement to deter the incoming(?) adversary.

Western strategists are not naive enough to think that just because there is no declaration by GOI about ICBM, it means that Indian rockets can not reach western shores.

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
China will Fume There will be a lot of India bashing in CCP mouth pieces and Chinese blogs :taunt1:

Pakis will go FURTHER into Depression

Asian Countries will love it

US will say that it is committed to peace and stability in Asia

Adux

Country flag
The Agni-4 tested recently had very high trajectory reaching 900km height, while Agni 3 tested in 2010 was around 350km altitude and lower angle . 900km altitude is almost approaching ICBMs. 10000 km+ missiles approach altitude of 1000 to 1400km

Somehow the specs sound like A4 is more efficient missile than A3 if advertized ranges are to be believed, A4 weighs 20 tonnes designed to carry 1 ton payload while the same A4 weighs 48 tons carry 1.5 ton payload, the difference in range is just 15% , does half a ton more payload require so much more propellants to carry? or A4s propellant is more efficient compared to A3?
From what I know, Agni 4 is getting inducted while Agni 3 isnt, Agni 5 will quite speedily replaced by Agni 6, read it in some interview with Dr.Avinash Chander
Size wise, it is quite intriguing ajay, I have to say it does make me feel we have more range in those puppies than we advertise. But is our propellant efficiency as good as a Bulava or a Trident? Because our Agni 5 is the same size as former two, yet the range is 50 - 70% lesser

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
From what I know, Agni 4 is getting inducted while Agni 3 isnt, Agni 5 will quite speedily replaced by Agni 6, read it in some interview with Dr.Avinash Chander
Size wise, it is quite intriguing ajay, I have to say it does make me feel we have more range in those puppies than we advertise. But is our propellant efficiency as good as a Bulava or a Trident? Because our Agni 5 is the same size as former two, yet the range is 50 - 70% lesser
That range at which A5 is tested will give us an indication.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Please elaborate?
All long range missiles that india has tested have not been at full range but short of it though scalable.

A4 was not tested to full range. If the A5 is tested to about 5000kms which is just about it's actual stated range, I can bet that the range of A5 is going to be about 7000-8000km range. Will suit us just fine as far as a future SLBM may be of just that range.

LalTopi

So if they become enemies because of our ICBM's even though we have no intention of lobbing it at them then i must say they weren't really friends to begin with. Now if you say you know they aren't real friends then it makes sense to have an ICBM (even secretly).

If we aspire to reach the top then we must have the "top stuff" when it comes to weapons or we can play second fiddle. You cannot reach the top without making enemies.
I would not have thought the US military would be too fussed about an Indian ICBM, they should be quite confident in their defence shileds having for years faced the Soviets and Chicoms. I think though the American and European Joe public and press may start to get scared and pressure their politicians to get more assertive with India - hence better to keep a low profile on range in press releases, no point in kicking sleeping dogs.

In any case would the range not be much greater without a full payload? If I recall, the Hiroshima bomb was sub 20kt but killed 100k people.

Adux

Country flag
All long range missiles that india has tested have not been at full range but short of it though scalable.

A4 was not tested to full range. If the A5 is tested to about 5000kms which is just about it's actual stated range, I can bet that the range of A5 is going to be about 7000-8000km range. Will suit us just fine as far as a future SLBM may be of just that range.
Even I think so, The size of the Agni 5 missile translate to that, but we are assuming that our propulsion is as good as the them,

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Even I think so, The size of the Agni 5 missile translate to that, but we are assuming that our propulsion is as good as the them,
I would imagine so. If we can take a missile 5000 kms away, I think we can push it a but further too. I think if this bird is not an 8000 ranger, then it's a pretty inefficient missile.

Adux

Country flag
I would imagine so. If we can take a missile 5000 kms away, I think we can push it a but further too. I think if this bird is not an 8000 ranger, then it's a pretty inefficient missile.
It could be a inefficient missile, we maybe not as advanced in propollant tech as we may like to be, case and point, cryogenic engine

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Beryllium is used in rocket nozzles.

BERYLLIUM EROSION CORROSION INVESTIGATION FOR SOLID ROCKET NOZZLES

A former colleague of mine who used to ruminate about such things, once estimated that since beryllium is a carcinogen, a full scale nuclear war would release enough of it into the atmosphere, that anyone who survived the immediate radiological effects would eventually die of cancer, For some reason he was quite pleased with himself and his reasoning. An odd chap.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
The Agni-4 tested recently had very high trajectory reaching 900km height, while Agni 3 tested in 2010 was around 350km altitude and lower angle . 900km altitude is almost approaching ICBMs. 10000 km+ missiles approach altitude of 1000 to 1400km

Somehow the specs sound like A4 is more efficient missile than A3 if advertized ranges are to be believed, A4 weighs 20 tonnes designed to carry 1 ton payload while the same A3 weighs 48 tons carry 1.5 ton payload, the difference in range is just 15% , does half a ton more
payload require so much more propellants to carry? or A4s propellant is more efficient compared to A3?
sorry for the typo in my previous post, I was comparing A4 with A3.

It will be difficult to compare the missile of different countries. Bulava & Trident represent the best of what Soviets & US achieved in field of rocket science, the decades of R&D, huge funding etc. Early Ballistic missiles were definitely heavy, silo-based resembling Space launch vehicles, but further development in materials, propellants, rocket engine etc made them smaller, lighter and accurate.

In our case, we never directly adopted Launch vehicles as Ballistic missiles, and also too late in development of long range strategic missiles. Its very much possible our missiles efficiency may not be as good as theirs, or even chinese.

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
You are here: HOME > COLUMNS > RADHAKRISHNA RAO
Column
Why India needs an ICBM
Radhakrishna Rao | Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Comments | Post a comment | Share this article | Print | Email
In the backdrop of an extremely disturbed security environment in India's neighbourhood and taking into account India's policy of no first use of nuclear weapon, the need for a full-fledged Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile featuring cutting edge technologies has become all the more pronounced to defend the territorial integrity of the country.

Moreover, India cannot afford to remain a silent spectator to the massive build up of an ICBM arsenal by China. On a more proactive plane, an ICBM capability is vital for India to be recognised as a military power of global standing. India should look beyond the Chinese threat to build a sturdy ICBM muscle to showcase Indian technological prowess that cannot be browbeaten by the technology denial regime.

As things stand, designing and developing an ICBM with a strike range of more than 10,000-km should not pose any problem to the country. Clearly and apparently, India has expertise, infrastructure and technology at its disposal.

Article continues below the advertisement...

As it is, India's strides in designing and developing a range of military missiles including the long range Agni-V ballistic missile and civilian space vehicles could easily be exploited to realise and test an ICBM. However, the political leadership in New Delhi should show foresight and grit to give the go ahead for an Indian ICBM.

Sometime back, there were news reports to suggest that the government was planning to cap the range of Indian missiles. Though this was subsequently discounted, the government should factor in the possibility of the US coercing India to drop its plan for an ICBM. For in late 1990s, the US had exerted severe pressure on the Indian government to annul the development of Agni missile being developed as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.

For, it was alleged that the solid fuel technology developed for India's first civilian space vehicle SLV-3 was exploited for speeding up the Agni ballistic missile programme.

Incidentally, former President APJ Abdul Kalam had spearheaded both the SLV-3 development and IGMDP. Indeed, many think tanks in the US continue to hold the view that India's long range missile development programme has benefited enormously from the technologies developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation for its satellite launch vehicles.

This mindset led the US government to impose a trade sanction and technology embargo on ISRO in 1992 following the Indian space agency's plan to acquire cryogenic engine technology from Russia for India's three stage Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle.

Of course, the long range Agni-V missile — capable of hitting targets at a distance of more than 5000-km — which is now all set for its debut flight, can take care of most locations in China. But then an ICBM could act as a major morale booster to the Indian defence forces.

Rightly and appropriately, the Defence Research and Development Organisation has decided to equip Agni-V with Multiple, Independently Targetable Re-entry Vehicle (MIRV) technology. This technology, which was first developed by the US in the 1960s for its Minuteman missile, could enhance India's deterrence capability substantially.

As pointed out by Avinash Chander, DRDO's chief controller of research and development, missiles and strategic systems, 'As of now, most of India's perceived and potential strategic threats are localized within 5,500 km range. Agni-V will take care of this concern.' Chander drives home the point that because Agni-V is a canister-launched missile, it would be difficult to detect it. Indeed, the stealth feature of the road mobile Agni-V could go a long way towards bolstering the combat edge of the Indian defence forces.

He also stressed the point that the DRDO has the technological capability required to build missiles that can go beyond 12,000-km range.

Chander was clear in his perception that in the backdrop of the fast-changing strategic scenario, India should be ready for a wide range of eventualities. Indeed, China's growing military might should wake up both the defence establishment and political leadership to initiate an action plan aimed at building a 'semblance of countermeasures' in the form of an ICBM to begin with.

Further, one cannot rule out the possibility of China developing a space force like its neighbour Russia to give an integrated thrust to its missile defence strategy.

Sometime back, the Chinese state controlled media described Agni-V as a killer system capable of reaching several cities in China with the conclusion that New Delhi's intention is to become a major power in the region. Perhaps China is aware that Agni-V will serve as the stepping for the development of an Indian ICBM, a development that rulers in Beijing will find hard to digest.
:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I would not have thought the US military would be too fussed about an Indian ICBM, they should be quite confident in their defence shileds having for years faced the Soviets and Chicoms. I think though the American and European Joe public and press may start to get scared and pressure their politicians to get more assertive with India - hence better to keep a low profile on range in press releases, no point in kicking sleeping dogs.

In any case would the range not be much greater without a full payload? If I recall, the Hiroshima bomb was sub 20kt but killed 100k people.
Sleeping dogs are quite scared of fire crackers.

Defense shields are not fool proof...try firing 100 agni's with nukes and even if 10% get through there would be massive destruction. ICMB's are a deterrence. Its consequences go much beyond military means. Like i said if we want to throw our weight around then let us stop acting like wimps and become worried about "sleeping dogs" FFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles