Agni IV/Agni-2 Prime

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
they should have launched it at 45 degree angle. i just wonder how far it will go then. Rightly called A4.
:(

I tried putting the data in the good 'ol projectile motion equation, but got wierd results

Path of an ICBM is much more complex than a usual projectile , rotation of the earth and fluid dynamics have to be taken into account. I doubt that the optimal angle is 45degrees

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
:(

I tried putting the data in the good 'ol projectile motion equation, but got wierd results

Path of an ICBM is much more complex than a usual projectile , rotation of the earth and fluid dynamics have to be taken into account. I doubt that the optimal angle is 45degrees
That's why it's called rocket science and best left to aeronautical engineers.

trackwhack

:rofl: nice one

Yes Lurkerbaba (shit its difficult to address you in first person man :)) A projectile path can provide guesstimates that's all. Since the missile is not a projectile, there are many things that are different. I referenced it because its a simplistic way of analysis that my simpleton brain can comprehend.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Not meant specifically to anyone. But just in general, we do not comment on things we do not know fully about.(and in the process confuse the others who read it)

majorIN

It is the party time to our Defence Experts n Scientists to contributed their work n knowledge for Agni 2 prime Success.it is the great relief to our DRDO scientists after the Agni 2 prime test launch was successful after the prior unsuccessful test launches.
jai hind.

Pintu

Agni-4 surprise launch a success, next missile in Dec

Ajai Shukla / New Delhi November 16, 2011, 0:29 IST

The victory came without the date having been announced in advance. The Defence Research and Development Organisation succeeded in its surprise test on Tuesday, as the new Agni-4 missile was launched "flawlessly" — to quote the MoD — from the Odisha coast, establishing India as a builder of cutting-edge intermediate range ballistic missiles (IRBMs).

While Agni-4 was fired out to just 3,000 kilometres this morning, the DRDO claims it can comfortably deliver a nuclear weapon to a target 3,500 km away.

That would make Agni-4 India's first true IRBM. Its predecessor, Agni-3, with a 3,000-km range, was a medium range ballistic missile. The 1958-formed DRDO is now readying for its debut launch is the 5000-km range Agni-5. It will be only marginally short of the 5,500-km range needed to be classified as that Big Daddy of rockets: an intercontinental ballistic missile. The DRDO states that its plans is to launch Agni-5 as early as next month.

The Agni-4 project has been overseen by Tessy Thomas, called the "missile woman" after she became the first woman to head an Indian ballistic missile project. (It is another matter that the media prefers to call her Agni Putri, or daughter of fire, a play on the Agni name.) Thomas has ensured that Agni-4 makes a major technological leap from Agni-3, testing out several systems that will be crucial to the success of Agni-5.

Launched from a road-mobile missile carrier at Wheeler's Island off the Orissacoast, the two-stage, solid-fuel Agni-4 roared off its launch pad at exactly 9 am in what the DRDO describes as a "textbook fashion". After reaching a height of 900 km, tracked by a chain of radars along India's eastern seaboard, it began its descent, encountering temperatures above 3,000 degrees centigrade, while re-entering the atmosphere. Two ships of the Indian Navy that had been pre-positioned in the target area witnessed the final splash down.

DRDO's public relations chief Ravi Gupta said Agni-4 represents an entirely new class of missiles. "It uses advanced technologies to improve capabilities, even while reducing the missile's weight," he told Business Standard.

A crucial first for Agni-4 is the successful use of a composite rocket motor, made of lightweight composites rather than the heavier "maraging steel" from which earlier rocket motors were fabricated. This composite rocket motor will be key to the success of Agni-5. Ditto will the case be with other first-time technologies — such as a high-accuracy ring-laser gyroscope-based inertial navigation system (RINS), a micro-navigation system (MINGS) and a powerful new onboard computer. Through on Tuesday's surprise Agni-4 test, the DRDO has technologically de-risked the high-profile Agni-5 test that the world will be watching carefully.

"This test has paved the way ahead for the success of Agni-5 mission. It will be launched shortly," said Avinash Chander, who heads the DRDO's missiles division. He also talked up the RINS and the MINGS, describing Agni-4 as ushering in major advances in long-range navigation systems.

Navigation is critical for long-range ballistic missiles. For, striking very close to the target allows smaller nuclear warheads to inflict as much damage as heavy "megaton class" nuclear bombs delivered by less accurate missiles — several hundred metres, or even a kilometre, away. The Agni missiles' high accuracy would allow India to restrict itself to smaller nuclear warheads, Chander told Business Standard.

"Megaton warheads were used when accuracies were low," he noted. "Now we talk of [the accuracy of] a few hundred metres. That allows a smaller warhead, perhaps 150-250 kilotonnes, to cause substantial damage. We don't want to cause wanton damage (with unnecessarily large warheads)."

Even as Agni-4 tests several technologies will go into Agni-5, it is not a mere technology demonstrator, the DRDO emphasises. Instead, it will be deployed with the military as an operational missile. According to a press release by the agency, Agni-4 "has provided a fantastic [nuclear] deterrence to the country and it will be produced in numbers and delivered to the Armed Forces as early as possible".

trackwhack

Navigation is critical for long-range ballistic missiles. For, striking very close to the target allows smaller nuclear warheads to inflict as much damage as heavy "megaton class" nuclear bombs delivered by less accurate missiles — several hundred metres, or even a kilometre, away. The Agni missiles' high accuracy would allow India to restrict itself to smaller nuclear warheads, Chander told Business Standard.

"Megaton warheads were used when accuracies were low," he noted. "Now we talk of [the accuracy of] a few hundred metres. That allows a smaller warhead, perhaps 150-250 kilotonnes, to cause substantial damage. We don't want to cause wanton damage (with unnecessarily large warheads)."
Wonder why the United States, Russia, China, UK and France seem to continue to keep large numbers of megaton warheads. :rolleyes:
Surely the DRDO missiles are so much more accurate that they will compensate for a megaton class warhead.
I'm pretty sure there is a good reason that Megaton warheads are called city-busters.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Not meant specifically to anyone. But just in general, we do not comment on things we do not know fully about.(and in the process confuse the others who read it)
Ideally, no. :)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Wonder why the United States, Russia, China, UK and France seem to continue to keep large numbers of megaton warheads. :rolleyes:
Surely the DRDO missiles are so much more accurate that they will compensate for a megaton class warhead.
I'm pretty sure there is a good reason that Megaton warheads are called city-busters.
Another good question is why aren't we making a 15000km ICBM ?

KS

Bye bye DFI
Karthic, that was stage separation. In fact I think it can be seen on the video at the last few instants.
Thought so.

Now let us speculate on the 900 km altitude. :)

The A4 in my opinion was testing subsystems of the A5 and Surya - namely navigation, re-entry rockets and the heat shield. There is no logical reason for a 3000 KM missile to hit an altitude of 900 KM.
Good 'ol Surya. :namaste:

There were reports earlier that the A4 was specifically made to test A5 subsystems but I do not recall the source. Either way, I am thrilled as hell that the missile hit 900 km. Now for GOI to grow some balls and openly announce the Surya program.
What more source you need..Even the DRDO indirectly have said the same when they said the decision on when to test A-V will depend on A IV.

My wild guess is the Indian strategic missile scenario will look like somewhat this in the future.

1) Agni I being retired completely and Shaurya replacing it. This is primarily for Pakistan
2) Agni II being retired and Agni IV replacing it at the higher end of the range and Nirbhay at the lower end of the range. For both Pakistan and China

3) Agni III (currently rated at 3500 Km with a 1.5 ton payload scaled upwards to 5000-5500 km with a lighter,advanced warhead). For China.

4) Agni V or (Surya) being the true blue ICBM with > 8000 km range. For any slimy bastard who dare mess with us
5) K-5 being the underwater counterpart of Agni V.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
A3 has long public range compare to A2P(A4) now kindly look at the graph which was shown by the DRDO at time of A3 launch

now see the graph of A2P(A4) green shows the actual hight of missile and red line is if you mimic A3 angle of launch.
Saya I know that @ 45 inclination you get the maximum burn out of the ass.

But that is what I am asking...theoretically it is supposed to..but practically is it possible and does every class of missiles have a specific pre-determined angle of launch ? Or is it a variable parameter than can be changed during the actual launch ?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
The Hindu : News / National : Indigenous technologies played a big role

V.K. Saraswat, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, said, "The technologies proven in this mission will give us the necessary confidence to go in for the Agni-V launch [with a range of 5,000 km] in a couple of months." The DRDO did not use any satellite during Agni-IV's flight. Agni-IV, earlier named Agni-II Prime, flew more than 3,000 km on Tuesday from the Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast.
The spectrum of new technologies incorporated in the Agni-IV mission included fibre reinforced plastic (FRP) or composite casing for the second stage, ring-laser gyros for inertial navigation system (RINS), micro-navigation system (MINGS) as redundancy to improve the vehicle's reliability, a powerful onboard computer system, a multi-channel communication system and advanced avionics. The FRP reduced the missile's weight, enabling it to carry more propellants and to have a better range than Agni-II's 2,000 km.

Dr. Saraswat praised Gundra Satheesh Reddy, Associate Director, Research Centre, Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad, and his team for developing the RINS, MINGS and onboard avionics, all of which made it "a fantastic flight."

"Today, we have a missile which is lighter in weight, highly accelerating, manoeuvrable and unmatched. This missile incorporated the type of redundancies seen in manned missions, providing for robustness and reliability,
Dr. Saraswat said.

The other important technologies that contributed to the Agni-IV's success were better stage separation systems, efficient propulsion, high-energy solid propellants and powerful batteries.
Dr. Saraswat attacked the technology denial regimes that worked against the DRDO developing these technologies. He said, "All the technology denial regimes that worked against the development of these systems were combated by the DRDO by its developing new materials, composite casting for second stage, the RINS and high-speed processing system for the guidance. The terminal accuracy achieved shows the DRDO's strength in the development of long-range missiles. The mission demonstrates that the Indian missile technologists are in a position to handle technologically and managerially complex missions. India has come of age and developed world-class technologies. Technology-denial regimes cannot deter a motivated country like India to achieve self-reliance.
Dr. Sekaran said the new navigation system was basically software-intensive with a lot of built-in logic and redundancy, which provided the missile's reliability. "These are state-of-the-art systems and some of these new technologies will go into India's new missile systems, including the making of Agni-V."

Dr. Sekaran called Agni-IV "a good, user-friendly weapon for the Army." For, it could be integrated quickly and transported on road. In Mr. Chander's assessment, the new technologies would lead to freedom of operation for the Army.

trackwhack

While a little chest thumping is ok, what I want to see is cannisterized ICBM's, weather proof silos and SLBM's with 8K plus range all inducted and tested from production batches every now and then by the turn of the decade. In 2011 we have a 3.5K missile and DRDO is full of themselves. These are feats achieved by others 6 decades ago!!

While I congratulate the achievements, its now time to go full speed ahead and fulfill these goals.

sathya

Country flag
'Agni-IV better than Pakistan's missile, among world's best'

Indo-Asian News Service, Updated: November 16, 2011 16:16 IST

The Agni-IV, India's latest strategic nuclear-capable missile, is among the world's best and better than that of Pakistan's missiles, VK Saraswat head of its developer, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), said here on Wednesday.

"I have no doubt that Agni-IV compares with what is available in its class of missiles like the Pershing (US medium range ballistic missile)," Saraswat said at a press conference when asked if India can now say itsmissile technology is superior to that of Pakistan.

"If I am comparing Agni-IV with Pershing-I or Pershing-II missiles in terms of technology"¦I am talking in terms of technology, not in terms of range, as Pershing missiles have higher range"¦it meets global standards," he said, to stress the point.

"Whether our missiles vis-a-vis our adversaries, it meets the Pershing standards or not, that you have to find out," he said in response to a comparison withPakistan's ballistic missile programme. "As far as I am concerned, we have state-of-the-art ballistic missiles," he added.

Agni-IV, a 3,500-km range strategic missile, was successfully tested by India Tuesday.

Pakistan's ballistic missile programme has Gauri and Shaheen medium range and intermediate range ballistic missiles in its arsenal. It is believed that Pakistan's missile programme borrowed heavily from China and North Korea to build its technology, particular for long-range missiles.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am unable to see the chest thumping. Can you please point it out to me
no need for chest thumping, data was their to see it is not release for us, it was release for all those countries which operate missile of this range to know what we have done.

Pintu

"If I am comparing Agni-IV with Pershing-I or Pershing-II missiles in terms of technology"¦I am talking in terms of technology, not in terms of range, as Pershing missiles have higher range"¦it meets global standards," he said, to stress the point.

"Whether our missiles vis-a-vis our adversaries, it meets the Pershing standards or not, that you have to find out," he said in response to a comparison withPakistan's ballistic missile programme. "As far as I am concerned, we have state-of-the-art ballistic missiles," he added.

Agni-IV, a 3,500-km range strategic missile, was successfully tested by India Tuesday.
this is image of a Perishing II missile test fire as long as 1983 :

Specifications:

Specifications
Weight 7,490 kilograms (16,513 lb)
Length 10.6 metres (34.8 ft)
Diameter 1.02 metres (3.3 ft)
Blast yield

W85 nuclear warhead: 5 kilotons of TNT (21 TJ) to 80 kilotons of TNT (330 TJ)
W86 earth penetrator (canceled)

Engine Hercules, two-stage, solid propellant
Operational
range 1,770 kilometres (1,100 mi)
Speed Mach 8+
Guidance
system

Singer Kearfott Inertial
Goodyear Aerospace active radar

Steering
system vector control system (steerable nozzle), air fins
Accuracy 30 metres (100 ft) circular error probable (restrictions apply)
Launch
platform M1003 erector launcher
Transport

M1001 MAN tractor in Germany
M983 HEMTT in the U.S.

Source: wikipedia

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles