Afzal Guru's clemency resolution listed for voting in J&K assembly

KS

Bye bye DFI
Karthic Saar, I was responding to your query about when JJ was part of NDA. AFIK 98/99 DMK was part of NDA and part of govt and then switched to UPA in 2004. That's when JJ joined NDA.
No Jaya did not join. She was in the third front.

She was last part of NDA in 98 where she had the dubious role of sipping chai with maino madam and bringing down a govt.

Phenom

The last time they were allied was 2004 election, but since their allaince didn't win a single seat, it became a moot point. From 99 - 04 BJP and DMK were allies, but prior to the election BJP decided to dump DMK and switch to ADMK, that proved to be a very costly decision.

mayfair

The state of national development is no marker for civilization of the society. There are plenty of large, civilized nations that have not abolished death penalty (US, China, Brazil). In fact there's no nation with >200 million people that has abolished death penalty.
Japan maybe one country that's most peaceful in the world, albeit with a history chequred with extreme violence. Not only have they not abolished the death penalty, an undertrial (in most instances) is deemed guilty till proven inoccent.

Japan is also one of the few developed countries not to have ratified the Hague convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.

JBH22

:pound:

are you delusional ? both current govt's of tamil nadu and punjab are bjp allies and they are in process of letting go terrorists and you are blaming congress. atleast have some sense of direction. some of you are starting to sound like fucking pakis who blame everything at mossad-cia-raw.
You sound more like Teesta Satalvad brigade what about Omar Abdullah isn't he part of UPA moreover I'm referring to national policy not regional ones.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You sound more like Teesta Satalvad brigade what about Omar Abdullah isn't he part of UPA moreover I'm referring to national policy not regional ones.
Your judgement is wrong because what omar is doing is anti-national. afzal guru should be hanged. But unlike you i dont differentiate.

Have guts to say openly that what tn assembly and punjab govt is doing is anti-national. You sir are bjp fanboy if you dont and i am not congress fanboy because i openly say that congress ally omar is in the wrong.

JBH22

Your judgement is wrong because what omar is doing is anti-national. afzal guru should be hanged. But unlike you i dont differentiate.

Have guts to say openly that what tn assembly and punjab govt is doing is anti-national. You sir are bjp fanboy if you dont and i am not congress fanboy because i openly say that congress ally omar is in the wrong.
who says BJP is flawless i'm certainly aware that they also have their share of incompetent buffoons but this UPA takes the lead and for me the sooner they are out of power the better it is.
I hate India becoming a banana republic where same family run the roost

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
I think the present government at the center considers him as a freedom fighter as well as a soldier who fought for his country and he may be awarded the PARAMVEER CHAKRA. Such is the dedication with which the present Central Government is working for INDIA and the people of INDIA.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Afzal clemency debate: ruckus in J&K Assembly

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly that was debating Afzal Guru's clemency plea had to be adjourned for 30 minutes on Wednesday following ruckus created by the Congress and the BJP.

Clashes broke out between the Congress and BJP MLAs after the Congress MLAs objected to the presence of the seven BJP MLAs who were suspended earlier. The Congress demanded that they leave the House.

Meanwhile, independent MLA Engineer Rashid has accused the BJP and Congress of resorting to diversionary tactics to stall the debate.

On July 27, 2011 Union Ministry for Home Affairs sent Mohammed Afzal Guru's mercy petition to the President recommending that the clemency plea be rejected.

It seemed to be all but the end of the road for the Parliament attack convict till Engineer Rashid, Independent member of J&K Assembly stepped in. Taking a cue from the Tamil Nadu Assembly's resolution in favour of Rajiv Gandhi assassins, Rashid moved a motion in J&K assembly seeking clemency for Guru.

Rashid said, "I had a meeting with the Chief Minister and I hope he supports the resolution. Mere tweeting would not do,he has to come forward."

In 2004 Guru was sentenced to death by Supreme Court for his role in the 2001 Parliament attack. On October 20, 2006 the day Guru was to be hanged till death, the hanging was stalled after Guru's wife Tabassum appealed for mercy.

On November 9, 2006 Guru himself wrote to President APJ Abdul Kalam saying sorry for Parliament attack and pleading for mercy.

The plea was forwarded to Union Home ministry which five years later decided that no mercy should be shown to Afzal Guru.

Now the 87-member Jammu and Kashmir Assembly is all set to hear Engineer Rashid's motion. Ruling National Conference has kept its cards close to its chest even though it was Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who started the controversy by tweeting 'if the reaction would have been the same had J&K done a Tamil Nadu'; but Kashmir's main Opposition party, PDP is set to support the motion.

Mehbooba Mufti said, "We are against capital punishment and on Afzal Guru we demand clemency. When Nallani was pardoned even when she assassinated an icon like Rajiv Gandhi, Guru's clemency plea should also be considered."
When Afzal Guru becomes pregnant like Nalini then maybe he can be given clemency. :thumb::lol:

prahladh

Respected Member
Hi, I've been living under the rock for the past few days. Can I know why these morons are hell bent on forgiving M.Fs. Did they give any reason why they should be forgiven in their clemancy plea or what-ever.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Hi, I've been living under the rock for the past few days. Can I know why these morons are hell bent on forgiving M.Fs. Did they give any reason why they should be forgiven in their clemancy plea or what-ever.
Few weeks ago TN assembly , after the self-immolation of a young girl, passed a resolution asking for the death sentence of Santhan , Murugan and Perarivaalan be commuted to life sentence on the ground that they have already spent 21 years in prison for the crime of plotting to kill rajiv gandhi...

The JnK assembly nw seeks to do the same thing for Afzal Guru without taking into account the totally different situations.
  • For starters Rajiv != the bedrock of Indian democracy, the parliament.
  • Afzal Guru has been in jail for just 6 years, compared to the 20 years of those three
  • Unlike Afzal, those three did not plot against the sovereignity of India or their group was actively pursuing a struggle against Indian state.
  • Their group had already publicly apologised for killing Rajiv while Afzal or his group did not.
  • The resolution was unanimous in TN assembly while it is just the Kashmir Valley which wants clemency for Afzal.

Last edited:

Vyom

Seeker
I strongly condemn the resolution in TN assembly and that proposed one in the J&K assembly. The supreme court must be the final authority to implement the laws. If you don't want death penalty in India, you should amend the law. This is nothing but appeasement tactics by politicians in both north and south.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Let us watch the fun!

The country has lost its bearing because governance has been weak as also the aspirations of the people have not been pursued in a pragmatic manner and instead has been sold at the altar of populism and statistics!

The Opposition instead of being constructive has merely looked at the chaos with an eye on the future election!

Ki bichitro ei desh, Selucus! as Alexander is said to have commented on entering India!!

KS

Bye bye DFI
I strongly condemn the resolution in TN assembly and that proposed one in the J&K assembly. The supreme court must be the final authority to implement the laws. If you don't want death penalty in India, you should amend the law. This is nothing but appeasement tactics by politicians in both north and south.
Though I myself believe that its the SC which should have the ultimate authority in these matters, its already lost by having the concept of mercy pleas for all and sundry.

That being said there is a lot of difference in the Afzal Guru case and the three alleged Tigers involved in RG case, some of which I have listed above.

p.s.; the TN assembly was forced to pass the resolution after a 19 year old girl,Senkodi, immolated herself and the issue started ballooning up. It (emotions) were always dormant looking for a fissure to explode after another another young man, Muthukumar, immolated himself urging for the intervention of the Indian Govt in stopping the Tamil genocide in Lanka. But the Indian Govt did precious nothing that time and actually started shipping more arms/ammunition to the Lankans. Now after this girl immolated herself, hell broke loose and the Govt was forced to pass this resolution to pacify the emotions. I'm afraid this issue will not die down easily.

p.p.s: Even now I'm sure if the GoI had played a positive role in the Lankan war, stopped the genocide and urged both parties for a fair settlement this issue would have been as dead as a dodo. But now, GoI gotta deal with the shit it created indirectly.

Last edited:

S.A.T.A

Neither the LTTE militants nor Afzal Guru deserve a reprieve and i'll be surprised if either f them end up getting one.We should show the mercy of justice to these long suffering folks and deal them their fate.

Param

This Rajiv assassination accused issue was a deliberate tactic by some in power at the national level to counter the TN ruling party leader's sympathetic voices towards the SL tamil issue soon after coming to power.
What was the reason those three clemency petitions were kept on hold for such a long time? And why were those petitions rejected soon after the TN ruling party leader's statements regarding the imposition of sanctions againt SL?

This was a clever ploy by some to bring this controversial issue to the fore and hence checkmate JJ's statements made in the context of the SL issue,ie, imposition of sanctions on SL.

There is a big difference between the pro LTTE guys and those demanding action by GOI against SL in the form of sanctions.
Any way this issue is once again in court and court should decide.

S.A.T.A

UPA obviously has no heart to hang Afzal,either due to the perennial vote bank logic or as a quid pro quo to the separatist in return for maintaining a semblance of peace in Kashmir(most probably the latter),however the UPA ,given its current governance predicament,does not want to gift the opposition another stick to beat it with,hence it decided to queer the pitch.whether anybody in the UPA had anticipated the clemency resolution in the TN assembly,is a million dollar question,nonetheless the TN move and possible reciprocate resolution in J&K will allow UPA to postpone any decision on Afzal Guru,all the in name of ensuring fairness.

Come to think of it its neat slight of hand from the UPA.They may have just about ensured that decision to act on the sentencing will fall upon the govt incumbent in 2014,considering even the most optimist among the congressmen will not bet his secret Swiss bank penny on UPA making it the next time,its a safe political move.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Hope they televise his execution.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles