After Mahatma, it's Bharti-MTN deal for India, SA: Economist

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Vinod2070, May 26, 2009.

1. Vinod2070

Vinod2070 मध्यस्थ Stars and Ambassadors

After Mahatma, it's Bharti-MTN deal for India, SA: Economist- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

3. Vinod2070

MTN bid won't trigger open offer by MTN for Bharti's shares- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

4. Vinod2070

Mittal's dream of Bharti-MTN deal back on track - News in Pictures | Economic Times

5. Vinod2070

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...y-to-dizzying-heights/articleshow/4577834.cms

6. Vinod2070

Deal takes Indian M&A story to dizzying heights- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

7. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

Let's not get too carried away and praise ourselves before the deal goes through...

Just last year the same deal had fallen through because of what people believe to be interference from Reliance Infocomm...

Also, the global dynamics have changed significantly since the last time and our neighbours are gaining a lot of unwarranted power and leverage... China might try and derail the deal and make sure it doesn't go through because China wants to continue its dominance of the African continent and treat them as slaves...

8. Vinod2070

The times are different and this time Bharati is in a stronger position because India is doing well as a Telecom market despite the slowdown.

Yes, there is nothing to celebrate now. Just a story that we should track.

9. EnlightenedMonk

If we can pull this off, this will be a great slap on the face of the dragon...

10. threadbrowser

threadbrowser Regular Member

Ah, so thats why my DSL rates are so high. Empire building as usual.
    Why dont they improve their pathetic broadband speeds and customer service instead.

11. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I have no complaints regarding Airtel's customer service. But, I really have a thing or 2 to say about the Broadband speeds though.

Anyways, I don't see how we will be slapping the face of the Dragon with that. Sooner or later, we were to enter Africa. If not Airtel, then Tata or Rel would have done that.

12. EnlightenedMonk

p2, I am sure that our neighbouring country is extremely jealous of us and I'm sure that China Telecom will try and create problems in the deal... Mark my words...

13. p2prada

Well, they can try. But, Airtel has invested in a company that has a better control over Africa's telecom sector. China will only be a competitor.

14. EnlightenedMonk

Don't underestimate the slyness of the Chinese, my friend... just a few months ago, they had put pressure on the South African government and denied a visa to the Dalai Lama for attending a peace conference in South Africa...

The Chinese have big tentacles in Africa and they won't shy away from using that to give themselves an unfair advantage...

15. p2prada

Dalai Lama is an entirely different game. The Chinese are no doubt ahead in Tech as well as subscriber base. But, that doesn't mean we can't even the odds. If its oil or natural gas its a different ball game. if its telecom, i doubt China can do much.

16. Vinod2070

The top 2 companies with the most subscribers in a single country are Chinese. Don't underestimate them.

17. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

What about IPL?
    It was India's projection of soft power in SA. Besides, it got us lot of goodwill in SA. Lets not forget to thank Modi for that.

EDIT:
    Why should they shy away from using their leverage? And why should we expect them to do so? I hate to say this but India really needs to learn this from Chinese. Unabashed use of leverage is something India needs to learn quickly. India is caught up all too often in 'what will world say?' syndrome, that has done us nothing good. Sometimes, foes are the best teachers.

18. p2prada

How is it that they can influence a Airtel-MTN merger?

The Chinese cannot influence every decision in the world mate. The Airtel-MTN merger was clean. The SA govt cannot interfere since Airtel is following all the laws. Even the merger is with Bharti owning 48.8% of MTN.

The Chinese can try. It won't do any good.

19. Vinod2070

It was just in response to:

China is a big power in Telecom. Doesn't necessarily mean they will try to or can influence this deal.