After Gujarat, Sikh farmers in Haryana face eviction threat

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sukerchakia, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Sukerchakia

Sukerchakia Regular Member

After Gujarat, Sikh farmers in Haryana face eviction threat

Read more at: After Gujarat, Sikh farmers in Haryana face eviction threat : North, News - India Today

After Gujarat, Sikh farmers in Haryana are now facing eviction threat. The Congress party, which raised a hue and cry against the Narendra Modi government's decision to evict Sikh farmers from Kutch, is now on the back foot after a similar issue concerning Haryana Sikh farmers has reached the Prime Minister's Office.

Former chairman of National Commission for Minorities Tarlochan Singh in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has requested the latter to save hundreds of farmers in Kaithal and Kurukshetra districts from displacement.

Villagers at Karahsahib near Kurukshetra, Haryana.
    Former chairman of National Commission for Minorities Tarlochan Singh has written to the Prime Minister to intervene in the matter. Villagers at Karahsahib near Kurukshetra, Haryana.
    "I have requested the Prime Minister to save 3,500 Sikh farmer families, settled in Kaithal and Kurukshetra districts for the last 55 years, who are facing displacement threat following a court order. These Sikh farmers were settled by the then government of India in areas which later formed a part of Haryana state. The state government has asked them to vacate the land," Tarlochan Singh told Mail Today.

The land owned by the Sikh farmers in Kaithal and Kurukshetra districts is around 15,000 acres. More than 3,500 families were given barren land on lease for a period of 20 years in 1952. The lease was never renewed thereafter. The farmers were issued eviction notices in 1973, which was challenged by the affected farmers in a local court from where the case reached the Supreme Court.

The farmers lost the case in the Supreme Court but the court said the state government can extend the land lease. "The court had said the state government can give the land to the farmers but rather than extending a helping hand, the authorities are trying to snatch the land from us. They have asked 100 families to vacate their houses," said Beant Singh, one of the affected farmers.

These 100 families belong to Karah Sahib village. They lost their land in 2012 and now they have been asked to leave their homes.

"We are not growing any crop for the last 18 months. Now they have asked us to vacate our houses citing the court order. Sikhs are being treated as secondclass citizens here. The power supply to the village has been cut off to compel us to leave the place," said Lakhwinder Kaur, a farmer.

This is second time when the Prime Minister has been asked to intervene in the case. "During 2009, when Manmohan Singh visited Pehova, the affected farmers had requested him to intervene in the matter and safeguard their interests. He had directed Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda to take steps to protect the rights of the farmers. But the Haryana government just slept over the issue," Tarlochan said. Haryana revenue minister Mahender Pratap Singh was not available for comments.

State Congress Committee president Phool Chand Mulana expressed ignorance about the case of Haryana Sikh farmers. "I have no knowledge about the case. I am currently out of Haryana," he said.

Read more at: After Gujarat, Sikh farmers in Haryana face eviction threat : North, News - India Today

DEJAVU and Singh like this.
  3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

A lot of my zamindar family and friends were allotted 1/10 the acreage in Haryana, they owned in Pakistan when they migrated to India, and even these were later usurped by the locals.

sob likes this.
  4. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Punjabi farmers would be better term to use in such similar matters. Wait, is it a similar matter ???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

A chauhan likes this.
  5. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

but the thread title doest contain modi so all of them just views and leaving

A chauhan and Singh like this.
  6. Singh

Why ???????????

7. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

:rofl: :rofl:

BTW if the case is like Gujarat then the lands should be given to those Punjabis.

8. Singh

Adverse Possession Law !
    Surprisingly Haryana Akali Dal is not protesting, 1 guess (its Congress stooge) !

SAD can do a very smart thing, they can up the ante by blocking water to Haryana.

9. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

If it was given/allotted by Govt. then it is not adverse possession, but 30 years period is sufficient to earn title on the lands.

10. Singh

more like 40 years, but the case is also in court.

I am sure some influential realty lobby is at play here.

parijataka, drkrn and VIP like this.
  11. VIP

Because it has nothing to do with them being sikh. I don't know about this matter but what I said is true about Gujarat issue.

12. Singh

By mentioning they are Sikhs and it happened in Harayana one gets the requisite information to form a better perspective.

BTW in UK the Sikhs have already been evicted, their houses bulldozed a few years back.

13. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

This thread, the scant few posts in it, and lack of interest shown by some members, compared to the other thread on the same issue in Gujarat, is a living proof, case and point of the illogical biased and perverse nature of Modi baiters/demonizers.

TrueSpirit likes this.
  14. Singh

This is a self serving conclusion.

Everything negative that Modi does will be amplified because his supporters feel he can do nothing wrong aka He is a Magician nee Homo Indicus Perfectus !

pmaitra likes this.
  15. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Partly true what you say - number of Modi haters is more than Modi bhaktas.

16. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

I am pissed off at Modi on quiet a few issues. Never claimed him to be perfect.

Measure everyone by the same scales, that's all I ask for. No double standards please.

17. VIP

I was trying to make a point that it has nothing to do with them being a sikh. Some members in Gujarat related thread think in such a way.

18. Sukerchakia

I too have a few relatives in the Kurukshetra belt and some in UK's Bazpur, Rampur area. All are prospering from what I heard.

On the issue itself, its hard to understand the govt. asking people to uproot themselves especially when they suffered the same trauma 60 years ago. And this time its being done by their own countrymen and its country's laws. Oh well, those that drove them out in 1947 were their own countrymen too at that point. So in a way its history repeating itself, I guess.

Singh likes this.
  19. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

I doubt very much this is happening because they are Sikhs - all over the country very powerful land mafia is trying to grab the land of people whom they feel are vulnerable.

TrueSpirit likes this.
  20. Sukerchakia

That is definitely one of the probable reasons. Move these guys so there is more land to be gobbled up by politicians and their cronies.

21. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

manmohan itself a sikh explains how vulnerable and weak they are

TrueSpirit likes this.