After FB, Pak further bans Flickr, Youtube & Wikipedia. Edit Twitter, Blackberry too

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
on the contrary all this hype will only increase the viewership of Facebook and youtube . Facebook gets its $ from the west who actually spend their money into stuff like "farmville" :D
Youtube/Google is still relying on 'relevant content' advertising which can weaken its viewership after blocking of entire website in a populace nation like Pakistan.

In online advertising revenues, viewership numbers of online data is pricey than the money generated from online applications.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
The "Oh Blow Me" Photo of the Day Award

"An activist from the Jamaat-e-Islami Party during protests Wednesday in Karachi, Pakistan, urged users to log off in protest of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed published on Facebook." -- KA-CHING!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The "Oh Blow Me" Photo of the Day Award

"An activist from the Jamaat-e-Islami Party during protests Wednesday in Karachi, Pakistan, urged users to log off in protest of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed published on Facebook." -- KA-CHING!
Why not Pakistan just cut the Optic Fiber & rest of Wireless connection in this case? One Website filtering can not do any good. No one can control Internet.

AirforcePilot

Professional
Pakistan and the Muslim community missed a golden opportunity to deal with the situation about the FB page in question. It would of been better for the government of Pakistan to speak to the people and suggest to spread the word that the Muslims are good people instead of banning FB and other Internet sites.

The Muslims that posted comments on the Draw Mohammad Day page were all death threats against Jews, US and Face-book. It made the Muslim community look like a bunch of terrorist. FB can care less about Pakistan. It was in the best interest of FB to keep that idiotic page online. If they deleted the page FB would pay a heavy price for that decision.

We have freedom of speech and expression. Sometimes it is abused like in this case, but we are free to speak our mind as long as it don't violate any laws.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Pakistan and the Muslim community missed a golden opportunity to deal with the situation about the FB page in question. It would of been better for the government of Pakistan to speak to the people and suggest to spread the word that the Muslims are good people instead of banning FB and other Internet sites.

The Muslims that posted comments on the Draw Mohammad Day page were all death threats against Jews, US and Face-book. It made the Muslim community look like a bunch of terrorist. FB can care less about Pakistan. It was in the best interest of FB to keep that idiotic page online. If they deleted the page FB would pay a heavy price for that decision.

We have freedom of speech and expression. Sometimes it is abused like in this case, but we are free to speak our mind as long as it don't violate any laws.
Humour is just Schadenfreude with a clear conscience.

ganesh177

Country flag
Seems like that page is taken off. I cant access it anymore.

Someone in US just confirm it. Is it taken off or the access is blocked to that page in south asia ?

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

No they can not do this, they can not even dream of doing this to improve the image of this great religion. What has happened here is that they are badly defeated by world communities on every debate forum. The typical Pakistani mentality to be the real guardian of Islam has done the damage (now beyond their capacity to handle) for them. I am not sure if you are regular to many forums but there is overwhelming interference by these hypocrite Pakistanis poking their nose every where to propagate their religious bigotry. They even didn't spare Hindu religious web sites and uploaded worship songs ect.

There are many Muslim nations but only Pakistanis are seen preaching and raising their typical slogans every where and offending others without provocation. Now rather giving the message that a real Muslim can not be distracted from the path of his faith they have proved again how insecure and vulnerable identity they have. This new generation of Pakistanis have gone to lowest ever level where they expect respect for their religious Idols but abuse other's with dirtiest naked calling names in their slang language. I am happy to see that many forums will become clean and neat without Pakistanis throwing the shyte on others.

There is a Punjabi proverb that, 'if the king will stop talking to his nation then whom he shall rule? so yes you are right in saying that they are missing the opportunity to prove that Islam has better things to offer to our contemporary civilizations but lol you are asking wrong people to do this. They have nothing so far since independence to claim that they have offered something to humanity even by means to this great religion, but have done the damage instead for sure. Trust me You tube and others are not going to miss them as a community of people but may miss as a corporate.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
I have a very good proxy software, anyone who needs it just send me e-mail.

DaRk WaVe

KARACHI: Facebook is bound to face losses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars as the website's blockade in Pakistan has propelled local companies to suspend their advertisements and other commercial activities.

The Pakistan Telecomm-unication Authority (PTA) had blocked facebook on the directives of the Lahore High Court (LHC). On increasing popularity of facebook, hundreds of companies from the private sector were engaged in business with facebook for advertisement and commercial purposes.

Facebook, the international social network group, has nearly 2.4 million subscribers in Pakistan who daily click the website several times a day. It is the third most visited website in Pakistan after google.com and google.com.pk, according to the global web information company Alexa. Pakistani subscribers have created hundreds of groups, activities and events on facebook besides personal pages. Dozens of companies in corporate sector and TV channels have also developed their audience on facebook.

Particularly, cellular phone companies have provided facebook access to subscribers through their connections. The subscribers could also update their facebook pages through SMS on their networks. Talking to officials in the sector, it was revealed that the cellular phone companies have suspended their heavy advertisement campaigns and other activities from facebook after it was blocked in the country.

According to officials, companies pay $1,200 to $2,500 monthly to facebook on every ad depending on its space, time and location. In addition to revenues from local companies, Pakistani subscribers generate additional revenues to facebook when they click on different links and ads on its pages that will also cause losses to the social networking site. "We have discontinued our advertisements till May 31 as there is no use of service promotion on inaccessibility of customers to the social networking platform," an official of the company said requesting fort anonymity.

Cellular phone companies and its users other activities on facebook had also discontinued. The advertisements are likely to remain off the website after May 31 also as the ill content has badly affected the sentiments of customers.

During the last couple of days, cellular phone companies witnessed heavy traffic of SMS containing appeal to deactivate facebook accounts by different users. Before, the LHC's decision a significant number of customers had deactivated their accounts on facebook and some of them found their accounts terminated by facebook on the creation of protest, holocaust and anti-Jewish blocks and activity in the last couple of days.

PTA, earlier, had blocked only the URL that contained blasphemous content; however, it directed all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to block this website completely following LHC's verdict issued on May 19. PTA is strictly monitoring ISPs traffic and ensured that the LHC's order must be followed. The country has nearly five million Internet users on the network of 10 broadband operators and 50 other ISPs.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

KARACHI: Facebook is bound to face losses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars as the website's blockade in Pakistan has propelled local companies to suspend their advertisements and other commercial activities.

The Pakistan Telecomm-unication Authority (PTA) had blocked facebook on the directives of the Lahore High Court (LHC). On increasing popularity of facebook, hundreds of companies from the private sector were engaged in business with facebook for advertisement and commercial purposes.

Facebook, the international social network group, has nearly 2.4 million subscribers in Pakistan who daily click the website several times a day. It is the third most visited website in Pakistan after google.com and google.com.pk, according to the global web information company Alexa. Pakistani subscribers have created hundreds of groups, activities and events on facebook besides personal pages. Dozens of companies in corporate sector and TV channels have also developed their audience on facebook.

Particularly, cellular phone companies have provided facebook access to subscribers through their connections. The subscribers could also update their facebook pages through SMS on their networks. Talking to officials in the sector, it was revealed that the cellular phone companies have suspended their heavy advertisement campaigns and other activities from facebook after it was blocked in the country.

According to officials, companies pay $1,200 to $2,500 monthly to facebook on every ad depending on its space, time and location. In addition to revenues from local companies, Pakistani subscribers generate additional revenues to facebook when they click on different links and ads on its pages that will also cause losses to the social networking site. "We have discontinued our advertisements till May 31 as there is no use of service promotion on inaccessibility of customers to the social networking platform," an official of the company said requesting fort anonymity.

Cellular phone companies and its users other activities on facebook had also discontinued. The advertisements are likely to remain off the website after May 31 also as the ill content has badly affected the sentiments of customers.

During the last couple of days, cellular phone companies witnessed heavy traffic of SMS containing appeal to deactivate facebook accounts by different users. Before, the LHC's decision a significant number of customers had deactivated their accounts on facebook and some of them found their accounts terminated by facebook on the creation of protest, holocaust and anti-Jewish blocks and activity in the last couple of days.

PTA, earlier, had blocked only the URL that contained blasphemous content; however, it directed all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to block this website completely following LHC's verdict issued on May 19. PTA is strictly monitoring ISPs traffic and ensured that the LHC's order must be followed. The country has nearly five million Internet users on the network of 10 broadband operators and 50 other ISPs.

My very prediction just several posts before. ==ev++vil++
Advertising revenue drop will bother Facebook after loosing Pak online viewer base.

Last edited:

avis

but the thing to look out for will be that for how many day's this so called ban will remain in effect for these so called losses to be summed up as really concerning for these website's ? if its lifted within a short span then your govt will be making a mockery out of itself.eventually everybody will say " ohhhh its their habit they do it all the time lets not get worried bout them and continue our work."

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Blackberry services blocked in Pak too. Twitter blocked too.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Why don't they just ban all computers and stop internet service all together. And also all MMS and picture sms.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
anyways Google is back :)
google was back with in hrs you posted that google image...

The Facebook shame

Urban/urbane

Friday, May 21, 2010
Ahmad Rafay Alam

There's a new joke doing the rounds: what's the difference between Facebook and the Lashkar-e-Taiba? Answer: Facebook is banned in Pakistan.

The Lahore High Court's un-technical appreciation of social networking sites, the mechanics of the Internet and its order to enforce a ban on Facebook are matched only by ludicrousness of the petition seeking the ban and the offensive prank that started this entire episode.

Here's another joke doing the rounds: Facebook has nothing to worry about. It can always re-appear under another name (Jamaat-ul-Facebook, anyone?).

In Muhammad Mahboob vs The State (PLD 2002 Lahore 587), Mr Justice Ali Nawaz Chohan, dismissed evidence that had convicted a man of blasphemy as "unbelievable". While doing so, the court quoted an article, "What is Blasphemy", by Ayaz Amir on February 27, 2002 (when Ayaz Sahib wrote for another paper): "The greatest blasphemy of all is a child going hungry, a child condemned to the slow death of starvation. The miscarriage of justice is blasphemy. Misgovernment is blasphemy. An unconscionable gap between rich and poor is blasphemy. Denial of treatment to the sick, denial of education to the child, are alike examples of blasphemy."

My friend Adil Najam posted the following on Pakistaniat.com ("Facebook Fiasco: What would Muhammad (PBUH) do?": "The one thing I am absolutely positive of, is that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) would not have done what we are doing now: making an international public spectacle of ourselves. Most likely he would have just walked away and ignored (as he did those who threw garbage on him), he might have negotiated with Facebook on the basis of their own stated rules (the Hudabia model), he might have reasoned with the detractors. Nearly certainly Muhammad (PBUH) would have handled it with grace and with composure. Most importantly, the Prophet (PBUH) would have kept focusing on his own actions and proving his point with his own deeds rather than with slogans and banners."

One thing about this entire banning Facebook ado is the level of organisation displayed across the country. I may not agree with what they have managed to do, but I do appreciate that they could use Facebook (as many did) to organise their protests. Today I learn that the women's wing of the Jamat-e-Islami is organising a protest against Facebook. Never mind that it has just been reported that a teenager was raped for four months in Lahore, the ladies of the JI (women's wing) have something to protest on this sunny May day.

We are a country entirely devoid of a sense of irony. Just before the PTA got around to enforcing the ban, someone I know updated her Facebook profile to inform people how pleased she was that Facebook had been banned.

I have used Facebook over the last year and a half to promote a cycling initiative aimed at raising awareness about sustainable urban planning, public transport and the importance of public space. Each week, friends and I would post onto our Facebook page, Critical Mass Lahore, inviting others to come join us for our trips through and around the city. In Islamabad and Karachi, too, urban activists used Facebook to promote similar cycling events in their cities. At the beginning of this year, the Shehr section of this paper's News on Sunday pages, voted Critical Mass Lahore and Zimmedar Shehri as two of the best things to have happened to Lahore in 2009. Zimmedar Shehri also used Facebook to launch and manage its incredibly popular campaign to get your hands dirty, literally, and clean up the country. Rise Pakistan, another social activism organisation with over 10,000 Facebook members, is also rendered paralysed. Someone I know runs their business on Facebook. Well, her business has been halted by the High Court order.

There is simply no justification – legal, ethical, moral, religious – for the High Court to have ordered a ban on the social network page. Our law is crystal clear: A person's rights cannot be impinged upon without notice. There are well over 40 million Facebook users in Pakistan. The alleged blasphemy is supposed to be taking place in the United States. Under what legal framework is it permissible for the rights of the overwhelming majority of lawful users of Facebook to be affected in this way? As a lawyer, I fail to understand both the petition and the High Court's order.

This morning, via a text message sent to me by my mobile phone provider, I was informed that, on account of the High Court decision, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority had also ordered the shutting down of Blackberry's messenger service. What common sense is being applied here? I have a contract with my mobile phone provider which, to my knowledge, neither my provider nor I have violated. I am at a loss to understand what legal justification exists to deprive me of my contractual rights. And it's not just about me: what legal sense is there in taking an action that has an immediately detrimental effect to the work of thousands of Pakistanis.

There is now news that the free open-source encyclopaedia Wikipedia, has been shut down. There are also rumours to the effect that Youtube, which is a website which I use to watch television programmes and download the intellectually stimulating Ted Talks, have been blocked by the PTA as well.

Our response to the derogatory and blasphemous acts of others has been to harm only ourselves. The Lahore High Court is party to this shoot-yourself-in-the-foot approach. As someone said, banning Facebook is just like taking to Mall Road with Molotov cocktails. Except, in this case, the protagonists came from the gates of justice.

Manuel Castells once said that technology can be determined by political ideology. He referred to the ENIAC as an example: if Soviet Russia had the same technology as the scientists at MIT, they would not have used that technology to come up with an iPad. They would have used the technology, for sure, but their political ideology would not have directed in the direction of personal communication devices.

Taking Castells' example, I often remind people that, in Pakistan, we still do not manufacture televisions (we do assemble them, but bear with me). This is despite the fact that we have the technology to do so. The reason we don't is because we are still stuck in a political philosophy that believes that television is a medium by which "alien culture" is allowed to infiltrate our own. We will never be able to achieve technical capacity unless our political ideology allows us to. Now, with the High Court joining the chorus of misunderstanding on the issue of Facebook, I wonder how we will ever progress.

Face off over Facebook

The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Wednesday deemed it fit to ban, until May 31, the popular social networking site called Facebook. The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has also blocked video-sharing site Youtube, Wikipedia and Flickr for promoting offensive material. This has come after Facebook failed to remove a page promoting derogatory pictures of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), under the title 'Draw Muhammad Day.' Protests are raging across the country over this abuse of freedom of expression. The entire fiasco deserves some introspect.

After the vitriolic response to the Danish cartoons published in 2006 where violent protests in Pakistan alone resulted in deaths, injuries, pillaging and a rise in anti-western sentiments, it is shocking to see the insensitivity with which religious provocation is still being ventured. Started as a response to the US ban of an offensive TV programme where the Prophet (PBUH) was depicted in an objectionable manner, the snowball effect that the competition has attained has reached fever pitch. One cannot help but state that it is precisely affronts on highly emotive religious sentiments such as this that push even liberal Muslims into a corner where they feel as though they are up against a plethora of Islam-haters. That is enough to drive some of them — voluntarily — into the hands of the very extremism the west is trying to curb. Everyone must play their part; if Muslims are expected to participate in this war on terror, the west is expected to abide by a responsible approach to freedom of expression. It is actions such as these that shove Muslims into the usual clichés, Faisal Shahzad being just one of them.

Networking sites such as Facebook are wonderful avenues of bringing millions of people and ideas together, but this freedom also demands that authors and servers reflect on what exactly are the limits of free speech and how to practice editorial control when it comes to direct insults and attacks on the religious sentiments of an entire faith.

It must be noted that the PTA simply does not possess the kind of technology required to fully implement this ban, as the net is an amorphous medium where blocking access on one end will be overcome by access at another. A more considered response is needed to this issue, instead of attempting to ban entire websites. Such mediums carry more benefits than harm and should not be banned completely. Instead, the misguided minds stoking this unnecessary fire need to be educated on the harm their unfettered and irresponsible exercise of so-called freedom of expression is likely to cause. *

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
People what are the chances that ban on all these sites is just another ploy to attract attention of the world.Reason being that we are seeing protest only in pakistan as compared to the protest against the danish cartoon issue which was uniformly spread whole muslim world even in india i think(luckhnow ??if anyone can remember).I dont see protest against FB issue this time in any of the muslim countries except pakistan......

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sensory shutdown

Friday, May 21, 2010
As these words are typed public access to the popular social networking site Facebook is blocked, as is access to Wikipedia (in Karachi, this does not seem to be nationwide) and YouTube. The blocking of Facebook is in response to an order of the Lahore High Court which has directed a shutdown of the site until May 31 for holding a competition which encouraged the posting of blasphemous drawings. This follows the blocking of the URL within Facebook that linked to the offensive pages but allowed Facebook subscribers to continue to access the rest of the site. There are about 2.3 million users of Facebook in Pakistan making up 0.51 per cent of Facebook's total global membership. Demonstrations have been held across the country at the blasphemous content of Facebook and it has been pointed out that Facebook has in the past banned or blocked material which violates its own code conduct relative to offensive material – but has failed to act in this case despite the matter being of concern for the last three weeks.

It is difficult both to comprehend and to underestimate the importance of the Internet to Pakistan not just as a social and educational tool, but as a primary means of conducting trade. The Internet in Pakistan, as elsewhere in the world, has become the way an increasing number of us do business. We communicate using it and many of our small- and medium-sized businesses use Facebook as a place to advertise their wares and attract custom. Blocking access to the entire site smacks of overkill, when we were already blocking the offending URL, had the capacity to block any other link to offensive material and actively monitor proxy workarounds to ensure that the block is effective. Are we to cut off our nose to spite our face? Losing Wikipedia means that thousands of our university students lose one of their primary reference sources and losing YouTube further dims an already bleak entertainment environment. The state can, and arguably should, block blasphemous and offensive material; but there is no need for a blanket sensory shutdown in cyberspace which ultimately degrades, rather than protects, the greater good.

avis

ajtr as i have said earlier too its just a cheap tactic to portray themselves as the flag bearer's of the Islamic World which they are not actually.They wanna show that they are more Islamic than others.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles