After biker got shot dead in Delhi, cops have a lot to explain

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

After biker got shot dead in Delhi, cops have a lot to explain

Having failed to show sufficient grounds for opening fire on unarmed teenagers that led to the death of one of a 19-year-old on Sunday morning, the Delhi Police are on the backfoot.

Though they plan to arrest Puneet Sharma, who was riding the bike and survived with injuries, the shooting of 19-year-old Karan Pandey has raised a serious question mark on the police action.

Karan was riding pillion on Puneet’s bike when he was shot dead near Parliament Street by a Delhi Police inspector.

Police said Puneet could be booked for dangerous and reckless driving and obstructing a public servant from performing his duty.

Families of the victims and civil liberty groups have questioned the extreme step taken by the PCR van staff that was chasing away what was claimed to be gang of bikers.

There are several loopholes in the police account. First, the police have not been able to recover either of the three bullets fired by the inspector, Rajneesh Parmar. Senior police officers admitted the bullets had not been found.

“How can we be sure that it was the third bullet that claimed Pandey’s life and not the first one? There are no independent eyewitness accounts of the shooting,” said M Zaidi, Pandey’s neighbour at Malviya Nagar.

Second, none of the three CCTV cameras installed outside Le Meridien and Shangri-La hotel have captured either the shooting or the stone pelting, which the police claimed led them to act against the bikers.

“The police are going to find it very difficult to get themselves out of this one. This was not an encounter with terrorists that they had the impunity to use arms openly. What was the imminent danger that they had to shoot? I don’t think their claims are very plausible,” said ND Pancholi, eminent civil rights lawyer.

Families of the victims also raised a number of questions regarding the sequence of events.

“If the two were performing stunts, how can they pelt stones simultaneously? Also, where did the stones and bricks come from? You won’t find stones lying by the side of the road near Le Meridian hotel. Are the police trying to say that the boys carried the stones with them?” Zaidi asked.

Pandey’s autopsy by a panel of three doctors - two from Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC) and one from the University College of Medical Sciences — was conducted on Monday evening at MAMC.

The report is expected on Tuesday. An enquiry at the sub-divisional magistrate level has begun.

A case of rioting, rash and dangerous driving and obstructing a public servant from performing his duty has been registered at the Parliament Street police station and the investigation has been handed over to the New Delhi’s district investigation unit.

[​IMG]

After biker got shot dead in Delhi, cops have a lot to explain - Hindustan Times

Youth will be youth and boys will be boys.

Hot blood flows in their veins.

However, the question arises:

1 Is stunt motorcycle tricks on public highways legal?

2. Does it not endanger other users of the public roads?

3. Does such weaving and riding on the rear wheel or doing circles on one wheel not make it difficult for motorists using that public road, more so when one cannot anticipate what will be the next 'action' in that 'trick'?

4. In another report the modern of the boy killed said that the boy had his dinner at 11 PM and went to bed and she does not know when he left!

5. HT suggests that instead of firing at the wheel and hitting the boy since possible he dipped low rearwards and his friend rode the bike with the front whee high, water cannon or tear gas should have been used.

6. HT wonders how can chaps be carrying stones while biking.

The point is this that all this stuff is fine, but it should be organised and under supervision. These tricks should be done on racetracks and not on public roads and highways since it endangers other's life. What if a motorist just to avoid a sudden action of such a trickster looses control of his vehicle and has a fatal accident? Is that motorist and his passengers' lives any les precious?

Surprising that a mother does not know where he son kicks off after pretending to go to bed. Parenting seems to be merely limited to reproduction and then leaving everything else to God and the Country!

I heard kavita Srivastava (I hope I got the name right), the human rights activist (I think it was she since the raspy hoarse voice like Marlon Brando in Godfather is unmistakable) remonstrating over the police lack of sensitivity and all that! I think she also speaks for the Maoists IIRC. Another great one like Brinda Grover, Colin Gonsalves, John Dayal, Pancholi and so on.

Now sure it does appear insensitive. However, what is the alternate that these worthies suggest that should have been done?

If tear gas and water cannons should be used as is suggested by the HT reporter who seems to be another mindless and impractical Joe wanting to appear very knowledgeable when actually he is not, then are these worthies aware as to what a mayhem such actions would cause?

Tear gas will blind the bikers, nauseate them, bring water to the eyes, and that will cause a disconnect with the cognitive senses and there will be a mass accident involving all the 100 bikers or so.

And who will explain the mayhem and guess who will be holding the can and be blamed again? The Police.

Likewise would be effect of a water cannon!

The poor HT reporter should be subjected to both in an experiment so that next time he write a more sensible piece and not talk through his hat!

Even hitting the tyre with a bullet can have a serious consequence where the biker loses total control of the bike travelling at such high speed! But that is lesser of the chaos that 'non invasive' means like tear gas or water cannon can cause.

And if we are to bow to the sagacious human rights activists, who find all forms of law enforcement leading to death abhorrent, to include those against he State,the very democracy that recognises human rights which the Maoistas and their ilk don't for whose welfare these activist weep for, then we should disband the police and let society have a free run and have a ball!

Let us not always blame the police. They have a tough job to do. Of course, they should also ensure that they are just and fair.

But right now, if they perform, they are damned, and if they don't perform, they are still damned!

VIP, sob, A chauhan and 2 others like this.
  3. Ray

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Blackwater likes this.
  4. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

You are right in that boys will be boys, but the cops really need to crack down on them. When I was a college guy, even I used to do bike stunts such as wheelies, and used to race on the roads. And the cops used to crack down on us. Once, a cop actually hit me with a lathi when we were riding like maniacs on the outskirts of Bangalore, on NH7 (Bangalore-Hyderabad highway). A group of cops stopped us, and were so enraged with the way we were driving, that one of them actually hit out with his lathi.

Yeah, boys will be boys, and the rest of us sane road users will give them a piece of our minds. A few days back a maniac like that was weaving in and out of traffic, and he almost came below the wheels of my car. I gave him a round of filthiest abuse.

Sometimes these pricks can be really obnoxious and dangerous, especially if they are in a big group. I can well imagine that they might have thrown a stone or two on the cops (though "stone-pelting" seems a bit exaggerated).

5. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

There was no police account given in the HT article that I could see.

And as BG Ray points out, they idea that water cannon or tear gas should have been used by a police inspector is absurd.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

good step by delhi police they fired at the bike. unfortunately it hit the guy and guy died.

parents are also to be blamed . the mother of one of the guys said my son called me that he will come in morning.

she is equally to be blamed

7. Ray

It is time hooliganism is brought under control!

8. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

The media is like a nagging vindictive wife. One day they would be lamenting inability of the police to stop the bikers and the next they would be lamenting use of excessive force by the police.

VIP and W.G.Ewald like this.
  9. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

My question is why Delhi police has the capacity and guts to stop these idiots, while not stopping the 300 odd muslim nutjobs? That is the only thing I find repulsive about this.

W.G.Ewald and A chauhan like this.
  10. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

What makes you think muslims weren't involved in this gathering ?

vijaytripoli, sayareakd and W.G.Ewald like this.
  11. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

I guess Shab-e-Barat bikers were more than 300 perhaps 1000 IIRC.

12. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

I am sure there were. But why not then? When it was exclusively muslim. With this country's soft peddling on this community.

13. The Messiah

It was after that incident that instructions were given to crack down on this nonsense.

Now there are barricades after 10pm in India gate where they regularly stop young guys.

14. The Messiah

15. The Messiah

Delhi bikers: Risking lives for cheap thrills

New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Cheap thrill from driving recklessly, mocking the policemen on duty and even harassing fellow motorists is what fires many teenagers in the Indian capital to hit the roads with their mean machines and risk their as well as others' lives.

Usually in the age group of 15 to 25 years, these biker gangs, mostly belonging to middle or lower middle class families, have gained notoriety over the years for performing dangerous stunts or indulging in street racing on weekends, especially late Saturday nights.

Early Sunday, stunt biking by around 100 young men led to a tragedy in the heart of Delhi when police opened fire killing a teenager riding pillion. Inspector Rajneesh Parmar of the Police Control Room fired from his revolver in a bid to puncture a motorcycle's rear tyre but it instead hit the victim, Karan Pandey, in his back. The bike rider, Puneet Sharma, also fell off the bike and suffered bruises.

The two-wheelers used in the capers are a mix of motorcycles, and scooters -- and there seems to be a hierarchy. The bikers perform the stunts while those on scooters have their roles cut out as they encourage, applaud and shoot the stunts on their mobiles to be later put on YouTube.

According to several members and former members of such gangs, a Saturday night 'scene' is finalized only if 20 to 30 bikers are willing to participate so that they can easily outnumber the police if they find themselves in a spot.

"That's just the way the police works... if you were a group of 20-30 bikers, the police would not dare to stop or fine you. We had figured this out a long time back," Rajan Singh, a 26-year-old who was once a member of a west Delhi biker's gang, told IANS.

The most sought after bikes are the Bajaj Pulsar and the Yamaha FZ as these can be modified easily.

Most of the racers and those who perform stunts, remove the rear number plates, tail and headlight assemblies and all plastic fairing not only to give the bike a bare, mean look but also to reduce weight in order to win a race. Some cover half their face with scarves to avoid police detection and trouble.

"When we perform a wheelie, the rear number plate and mudguard touches the ground and is a major hindrance. So, they have to be removed," said Junaid, 19, a resident of the walled city.

There are some who fold their number plates so that they cannot be tracked by police.

With no headlight and tail lamps, these modifications make the bikes illegal to be driven on roads and the fact that such bikers don't even wear helmets makes matters dangerously worse.

But, the riders aren't perturbed.

"I trust my driving skills and when I am on the road I know what I am doing," a 20-year-old friend of Junaid said, not wishing to share his name.

However, Singh begged to differ.

"When there are a dozen other bikers around, high on adrenaline, racing and performing dangerous stunts, thinking takes a backseat," said Singh, who met with a severe accident and took almost a year to completely recover from the physical and mental trauma.

Singh, who ventured out on at least half a dozen of such weekend derring-dos, said that it was a common practice to hurl abuses at policemen wherever you spot them or harass motorists, especially call-centre cabs that ply late at night.

"They literally bully anyone they see... mob mentality prevails," said Singh, narrating an incident where the bikers once followed a call-centre cab with a couple of girls seated in it for several km, ogling and passing lewd comments.

According to biking enthusiasts, around a dozen biker groups are active in the city and they meet regularly on weekends. While some like Junaid and Rajan perform stunts and indulge in street racing, there are those who prefer to go on long drives on the outskirts of the city early mornings.

"We respect our machines and never indulge in racing or performing silly stunts. We go on long drives on early Sunday mornings usually on the DND flyway (connecting Delhi to suburb Noida)," Shahbaz Khan of the Group of Delhi Superbikers (GODS), a popular biking gang here, told IANS.

Delhi bikers: Risking lives for cheap thrills (Spotlight)

maomao likes this.
  16. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Stupid cops shooting at youth. Use rubber bullets, effective barricades.

17. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

You know what's wrong with your argument? It could lead to this:

A knife wielding 18 year old boy inside an empty tram being shot at 9 times and then tasered as he lay dying. All this while he was surrounded by 22 gun toting, bullet-proof jacket wearing cops.

‘Shocked’ watchdog suggests province take charge of police training after Sammy Yatim shooting | National Post

This sort of abuse of power is routine in the West, and it has become so through policies and arguments such as yours.

The people who are armed by the state and have the power of life and death over civilians have to understand that with power, comes responsibility and discretion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    sayareakd likes this.
  18. Ray

The usual comparison with the way of the West in general and the US in particular is inappropriate since it is comparing chalk to cheese.

In the US the police is aggressive, and at times, over aggressive as in this case.

That is not so in India. In fact, the police is very timid and are ever worried about criminals and law breakers being connected to politicians and that could ruin their happiness, be it in the form of punishment or transfers.

Even the IAS, the so called steel framework of governance, is not free from this fear and there are many such cases of intimidation by politicians that is rife. The latest being the case of Durga Shakti Nagpal.

In the US a citizen can protect his property through the use of force if there is illegal trespass, let alone if the intruder attempts burglary. In India, if force is used or if his dog bites an intruder, the house owner has to defend himself in court and can be punished.

Unlike in India where the police get the stick from the public and the courts, it is not so in the US.

NYPD officers cleared in killing; rights leaders want probe

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2008Apr25/0,4675,PoliceShooting,00.html

Take the shooting of Trayvon Martin being shot by Zimmerman case.

On April 11, 2012, Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder in Martin's death. The trial began on June 24, 2013, and was presented to the jury for deliberations on July 12. The defendant was found not guilty the following day.

An in the case, Zimmerman was not even a law officer!

Can that happen in India?

So, where is the comparison?

If the Police were not aware of the implication of the fact they have the power of life and death over civilians, then would be have the numerous number of riots that we have?

The fact that they are not taken seriously because all know that they are impotent being puppet of the string of politicians and can do nothing to upset rioters and rowdies, the Army is invariably called in to restore law and order during a riot!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013