'Foreign-defence joint strategic dialogue with US not feasible'

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I think this is an unnecessary step and mistake on the part of AK Antony. There is no reason to NOT have a join Foreign-Defence dialogue particularly when we are talking about the global picture.

We need to work with the US to maintain and extend our influence or at least maintain the current balance of power in areas as far away as Africa and East Asia to closer areas like the Middle East and ASEAN including South Asia.

Having a joint dialogue will allow us to be quick and proactive on this issue and to say that we don't have this joint dialogue with any other country is with all due respect a farcical reason to not have one with the US.
I agree. As usual everyone is going on and on about how its great to stick it to the Americans, but I don't think people realize that this hurts India more than anyone else, especially in the long run.
I think the other issue is style of doing business. Indians are much more protocol orientated. Everyone should meet someone at same level of seniority, etc. You should never step over the chain of command. Personally, I think its part of the hangover from the British colonial days. This type of process leads to very slow decision making.

Americans on the other hand care less about protocol and are more concerned about getting the task done, in whatever manner is most efficient and quick.
I think you're right this has more to do with bureaucratic mechanisms than anything else. In the old days as a fledgling democracy it was good to have a division between the foreign office and the defense dept. but India can no longer afford this separation. This is also the main reason for India's non cohesive and incoherent foreign policy which is lagging miles behind the more sophisticated Chinese government.

It is always extremely frustrating and difficult for American diplomats to work with Indian counterparts even when it's a win win situation. I hope this changes.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles