Afghans like India most and hate Pakistan most

ashdoc

Country flag
Very interesting find, yes the Taliban is a Pashto force and the Norther Alliance Tribes is mostly an Indian ally since we had backed them for Soviet times and still have helicopter bases helping them in remote areas.

I cant read the letters on the map could you clarify on the ethnic composition? The purple is Pastho,Orange is Baluch?
yes---deep green is turkmen , lighter green is uzbek , pink is tajik , yellow is hazara

Neil

Country flag
India always supported the GOOD TALIBAN in Afghanistan and has always helped them whenever required. We are still working over there for their development and this is the reason why the people of Afghanistan like us or whatever you may say.
bro....i think you are mistaken....India has never supported taliban....that includes good or bad[we are against Obama's efforts to talk with good taliban]
we have supported Northern Alliance which is way too different from taliban....

and you are absolutely right.....its are work in afghanistan that has made their opinion favorable towards India and not just are rivalries....

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
It is true that Afghans like India, but the only reason for that is hate for Pakistan. As someone above mentioned, it is the oldest reason in the world: "my enemy's enemy is my friend". It is up to us to use these sentiments and feelings to our advantage while we can, then we can all go our separate ways.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
What is this 'relation from ancient times' that we keep hearing about? All I see is Ghorids and Ghaznids (no point taking it all the way back to Gandhara times)
Why is there no point in taking it back to Gandhara times? Why is that less useful than taking it back to Ghazni times?

Who do you think built the Bamiyan Buddha statues and the Kandahar stupas? The Taliban may try to destroy Afghanistan's pre-Islamic history but they cannot succeed.

AOE

Why is there no point in taking it back to Gandhara times? Why is that less useful than taking it back to Ghazni times?

Who do you think built the Bamiyan Buddha statues and the Kandahar stupas? The Taliban may try to destroy Afghanistan's pre-Islamic history but they cannot succeed.
I'm not sure about that civ, the muslims did a pretty damn good job in destroying pre-islamic history in Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, etc... there is every bit the chance that these islamist thugs can have a population blindly follow its suicidal mission for religious world domination; just like there are similar callings in the previously mentioned places.

Of course the flip side is that the Taliban are very unpopular in Afghanistan, and much of the damage can be reversed with time... well most of it.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
What is this 'relation from ancient times' that we keep hearing about? All I see is Ghorids and Ghaznids (no point taking it all the way back to Gandhara times)

India supported the Northern Alliance which the Pahstuns hated
The relation which i`m talking about is of trade and nothing else since earlier there was no partition so it was just Hindustan and Persia(Faras).

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
bro....i think you are mistaken....India has never supported taliban....that includes good or bad[we are against Obama's efforts to talk with good taliban]
we have supported Northern Alliance which is way too different from taliban....

and you are absolutely right.....its are work in afghanistan that has made their opinion favorable towards India and not just are rivalries....
India always supported a democratic Government in Afghanistan for which they can negotiate with Taliban through peace. Before the US invasion,, the Taliban`s consider India as their friend(thats true). And India also had good relationship with them.

Taliban is not just a terrorist group. One must know completely about it before pointing anything. Neilay bro dont take it on your heart i`m just talking in general.

amoy

No matter how Afg. "likes" India, I still don't get how India reaches Afg. as being blocked by PK (or PoK, or CoK as u'd name it) on land. In old good time u had Soviet Union taking grip of Afg. but now it's Tajikstan who borders Afg..

No doubt PK would fill the vacuum once Allies pull out with longstanding Taliban connections. And China is there exploiting the world's no.1 copper mine.

amoy

i think your IQ is less than 30 , sorry but it's true , you forgot Iran , we are building roads in afganistan to connect iranian ports
Haha, I knew Iran was there but wasn't sure Iran+India romance was so firm that Iran'd voluntarily enable India's access to Afg.. Anyway PK has its fans and infiltration to AFG. is at work, and so far Iran and PK are still in good terms

A really fragile relationship.

India couldn't even resist the US's pressure, and had to change settlement mode for oil import from Iran
The payments for Iranian crude would be made through Europaeisch-Iranische Handelsbank AG, known as EIH Bank, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Iran is India's second largest crude oil supplier after Saudi Arabia and meets more than 12 per cent of its oil needs.
Germany's central bank has indicated EIH can receive euro payments for Iranian oil if the company importing the oil or its bank issues a certificate that the funds wont be used for trade in any commodity affected by European or United Nations sanctions against Iran, the official said.
The disagreement over payments arose after India's central bank said in December that deals with Iran must be settled outside the Asian Clearing Union system, a regional payment arrangement that allowed companies to skirt U.S. and European restrictions on doing business with Iran. The ACU is used by the central banks of member nations — Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Iran, Nepal, Pakistan, the Maldives, Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
Iran had refused to sell oil under the new rules. Indian media reports had said that New Delhi was under pressure from the United States to reduce its dependence on Iranian oil imports.
Until 2008, payments under the ACU mechanism were made in U.S. dollars, but after Washington imposed sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program, the currency shifted to the euro.
The decision Thursday to end the deadlock came after many weeks of deliberations between India's finance and oil ministry officials and their counterparts from the external affairs ministry and India's national security establishment.
National Iranian Oil Co. has an account with EIH, and Germany's central bank has cleared it for receiving euro payments via the State Bank of India for Iranian crude, the official said.
Indian refiners including the state-owned Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. and others such as Essar Oil have run up a $3 billion backlog in payments for oil supplied over the past few months. The Indian government has asked the State Bank of India to settle the outstanding payments soon.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Do you mean good muslims are the ones that take Pakistan's side or vice versa. What are the Indian muslims then?
Your view towards muslims in general seems very narrow. Help me if if I've misunderstood you.

Regards,
Virendra
I have noticed this aswell.

His understanding of muslims is too naive and rigid....given the correct opportunities most middle east countries will fight each other.

I would love to see him bash muslims, christians, hindus, sikhs's etc religious beliefs because afterall he is an atheist and a true atheist does not only bash one religion.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Before the US invasion,, the Taliban`s consider India as their friend(thats true). And India also had good relationship with them.

Taliban is not just a terrorist group. One must know completely about it before pointing anything. Neilay bro dont take it on your heart i`m just talking in general.
I thought we sided with Northern Alliance before and after 2001, instead of Taliban. We even had a military hospital at Fakhror, Tajikistan to treat Afghan Northern Alliance members injured in fighting with the Taliban.
Taliban rule of Afghanistan was draconian and medieval. They may not operate like the professional Pakistani terrorists targetting urban India but they surely are an extremist and venomous lot who want to destroy anything unislamic (Budhha statues for example).

Regards,
Virendra

Adux

Country flag
I am talking about cultural level interaction with Afghanistan. India has great deal of cultural interaction with Afghanistan from ages and soft power of India is not questionable in case of Afghanistan.
Afghans are our brother's ( now i use this term with loosely and with great liberty to its actual meaning) as long Pakistani's remain their enemies.

Adux

Country flag
No matter how Afg. "likes" India, I still don't get how India reaches Afg. as being blocked by PK (or PoK, or CoK as u'd name it) on land. In old good time u had Soviet Union taking grip of Afg. but now it's Tajikstan who borders Afg..

No doubt PK would fill the vacuum once Allies pull out with longstanding Taliban connections. And China is there exploiting the world's no.1 copper mine.

Howdy Chicom,

The Copper mines in Afghanistan in the greater scheme of things for India, means ziltch or nada!

Chabahar Port

India is helping develop the Chabahar Port, which will give it access to the oil and gas resources in Iran and the Central Asian states. By so doing, India hopes to compete with the Chinese, who are building Gwadar Port, in Pakistani Baluchistan.
Iran plans to use Chabahar for transshipment to Afghanistan and Central Asia, while keeping the port of Bandar Abbas as a major hub mainly for trade with Russia and Europe.
India, Iran and Afghanistan have signed an agreement to give Indian goods, heading for Central Asia and Afghanistan, preferential treatment and tariff reductions at Chabahar.
Work on the Chabahar-Milak-Zaranj-Dilaram route from Iran to Afghanistan is in progress. Iran is with Indian aid upgrading the Chabahar-Milak road and constructing a bridge on the route to Zaranj. India's BRO is laying the 213-kilometer Zaranj-Dilaram road. It is a part of its USD 750 million aid package to Afghanistan by India.
The Chabahar port project is Iran's chance to end its US-sponsored economic isolation and benefit form the resurgent Indian economy. Along with Bandar Abbas, Chabahar is the Iranian entrepot on the North-South corridor. A strategic partnership between India, Iran and Russia is intended to establish a multi-modal transport link connecting Mumbai with St. Petersburg, providing Europe and the former Soviet republics of Central Asia access to Asia and vice versa.
India and Iran are discussing building a gas pipeline between the two countries along the bed of the Arabian Sea to bypass Pakistan, using the Chabahar port
[edit]
Chabahar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And about Tajikistan

History

In 2001, the Indian military opened a 25-bed hospital at the base at Farkhor to treat Afghan Northern Alliance members injured in fighting with the Taliban, including military leader Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was rushed there after the suicide attack against him. After the September 11 attacks, Tajikistan offered its bases, including Farkhor, to the United States in its war against terror[citation needed]. The Indian military hospital unit was relocated inside Afghanistan with the progress of Northern Alliance forces. The U.S. had initially shown interest in the base, but that did not proceed any further. (See also Karshi-Khanabad and Ganci air bases.)
The following paragraph apparently deal with Ayni Air Base near Dushanbe, not with Farkhor Air Base near the Afghan border. Further verification required
Reports began circulating in April 2006 that the Indian air base at Farkhor in Tajikistan was operational. Both Indian and Tajik officials issued immediate denials, but they did admit that India had been renovating the base since 2002. When fully operational, the Indian base was expected to host 12 to 14 MiG-29 fighter bombers, according to various reports.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farkhor_Air_Base

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Does 'cultural interaction from ages' mean the loot and plunder of India ?

Liking India is just because of the hatred of Pakistan
Most Indians forget that. I wonder why is that this blind politicized education so ingrained in our people. Afghans are only our friends because they don't like Pakistan. In that process of discussing the common problem with Pakistanis, we got to know each other well enough and hence became friendlier compared to others.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles