ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lcafanboy

Country flag
I was making a note on exact date for first flight for Tejas.

SP8:
SP7:
SP5:
SP6: 30 June 2017
SP4: 03 Mar 2017
SP3: 28 Sep 2016
SP2: 22 Mar 2016
SP1: Jan 2015

Can someone please help me to find out exact date of first flight of SP1.
  • 1st October - First Flight of LCA Tejas SP 1 - The first Tejas Light Combat Aircraft from the batch of 20 ‘series production’ or full-fledged fighters flew for about 25 minutes in Bengaluru. The flight of ‘SP1’ was piloted by HAL’s Chief Test Pilot Air Cmde K.A. Muthanna(retd). The First Flight of SP1 was achieved within nine months of receiving the penultimate flight worthiness certification, called IOC-2 (initial operational clearance) in December 2013.
http://www.tejas.gov.in/history/milestones.html

tejas warrior

Country flag
  • 1st October - First Flight of LCA Tejas SP 1 - The first Tejas Light Combat Aircraft from the batch of 20 ‘series production’ or full-fledged fighters flew for about 25 minutes in Bengaluru. The flight of ‘SP1’ was piloted by HAL’s Chief Test Pilot Air Cmde K.A. Muthanna(retd). The First Flight of SP1 was achieved within nine months of receiving the penultimate flight worthiness certification, called IOC-2 (initial operational clearance) in December 2013.
http://www.tejas.gov.in/history/milestones.html
Thanks.

So, it was quite long back.

tejas warrior

Country flag
First flight Dates for Tejas-LCA

1. SP1: 01 Oct 2014
  2. SP2: 22 Mar 2016
  3. SP3: 28 Sep 2016
  4. SP4: 03 Mar 2017
  5. SP6: 30 June 2017
  6. SP5:
  7. SP7:
  8. SP8:

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Neither MiG-21 nor Mirage-2000 are CAS aircraft. Whether they took part in CAS or not is irrelevant.

India can afford a dedicated CAS aircraft. LCA should not be used for CAS.

I am aware that some countries have used the MiG-21 for CAS (the Russians use the Sukhoi-25). When did India use the Mirage-2000 for CAS? Could yo please share the specifics of a few missions?

• A multi-role aircraft can perform multiple roles. CAS is not one of the roles as far as LCA is concerned.
  • There is no design trade-off in the LCA between its stated objective and CAS whatsoever. It was designed from the outset as an interceptor and has the potential of being a strike aircraft.
This debate is several years old. I don't have time to repeat what has been repeated already. I recommend read the posts by P2P from years ago, if you can ignore his personal attacks.

P.S.: If I get time, I will open a thread on the fundamentals of aviation.
What is the design requirement for CAS? Please note that it should be in such a manner as to evade MANPADS and AAA.

Why should Tejas be designed as just an interceptor? Why couldn't it be designed to be better? Which part of Tejas design makes its CAS role impossible?

lcafanboy

Country flag
What is the design requirement for CAS? Please note that it should be in such a manner as to evade MANPADS and AAA.

Why should Tejas be designed as just an interceptor? Why couldn't it be designed to be better? Which part of Tejas design makes its CAS role impossible?
Nothing Tejas is fully capable of CAS. Modern warfare requires PGM or Laser guided bombs which can be dropped precisely on target from higher altitudes and greater distances to avoid manpads, these aircrafts are feeded data from reconnaissance UAVs, Sattelites, Reecon Pods of other fighters. No dive down or dumb bomb drops are done nowadays, it is all about PGM and Laser & GPS guided bombs. So tejas or any other 4/4.5, 5th gen Fighter is very much capable for that in fact much more capable than obsolete A10s.

tejas warrior

Country flag
#TejasUpdate #2
4 #Tejas variants undertook night attack missions for the FIRST TIME. Challenges of night attack were adequacy and acceptability of displays in cockpit for ops. Ops done through instruments. Algorithms fine-tuned. No new weapons tested. (Rep pic only.)

lcafanboy

Country flag
No, 2nd only.

Current capacity is of 8/yr.
First line = 5
2nd line (Kiran Hanger) = 3

3rd line (yet to be created) will come on Hawk assembly line = 8
If I am not wrong the first line is of 8/year capacity and 2nd 3/year total 11/year. And one more with 8/ year is coming up soon. Eventually with more efficiency & outsourcing HAL will be able to manufacture 24-26 LCA Mk1A per year by 2020.

Last edited:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
If I am not wrong the first line is of 8/year capacity and 2nd 3/year total 11/year. And one more with 8/ year is coming up soon. Eventually with more efficiency & outsourcing HAL will be able to manufacture 24-26 LCA Mk1A by 2020.
We gotta pump those numbers to 36-40 to keep up with future demands of both air force and navy

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
We gotta pump those numbers to 36-40 to keep up with future demands of both air force and navy
Not with imported engine. Wait for a few years for engine to mature. Also, we need more capable mk2. This production run is just to keep expertise intact

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Hal does not want to manufacture LCA & is doing everything to sabotage it. Hal has messed up or delayed LCA, IJT, Rustom, LUH, HTT-40, Saras, LCH. That is to say almost everything.

mayfair

I think that will happen, HAL has already expressed its willingness to do so and transform itself into a lead integrator.

But assured orders are needed before anyone would pump in their money, time and effort into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles