ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zebra7

Aircraft carrier version of Tejas still alive, despite navy opposition

A decade ago, a far-sighted navy chief, Admiral Arun Prakash, posted his most talented engineering officer, Commander CD Balaji, to develop the Naval Tejas fighter at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which oversees the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) programme.

Prakash, and several navy chiefs who followed him, continued backing the Naval Tejas with funds and personnel, even as the Indian Air Force (IAF) dragged its feet.

Now, ironically, the navy has turned its back on the Tejas, even as the IAF has backed the Tejas with orders for 103 fighters.

Although Balaji is now a commodore and the head of ADA, the admirals have insisted since April that they want to buy 57 foreign fighters instead of the Tejas. These will equip two current aircraft carriers: INS Vikramaditya, purchased from Russia, and INS Vikrant, nearing completion at Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL).

On Navy Day earlier this month, navy chief, Admiral Sunil Lanba publicly announced that the Tejas would not meet the navy’s requirements.

Business Standard learns that the navy wants ADA to develop a carrier deck version of the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), an indigenous, twin-engine, fifth-generation, stealth fighter that is unlikely to enter service before 2030.

This inexplicable volte-face by the last two navy chiefs --- Admiral RK Dhowan who retired in May and Admiral Sunil Lanba who succeeded him --- opens the doors for two global vendors: Boeing, which is offering its F/A-18E/F Super Hornet; and Dassault, which has already sold 36 Rafale fighters to the IAF.
Unexplained by the navy is the future role of its 45 MiG-29K/KUB fighters, which India paid over $2 billion for, and which were to equip the Vikramaditya and Vikrant, with 22-24 fighters on each.
Nor is it clear whether the Rafale and Super Hornet, which are designed and built to be launched from aircraft carriers with catapults, are capable of “ski-jump” launches from the two Indian carriers, neither of which have catapults.

Without catapults, those aircraft will have to be launched with significantly lower payloads of fuel and weapons, especially in India’s warmer environment. The navy has done no studies of the compromises that will be necessary.
With the navy short of answers, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has ordered ADA to continue developing the Naval Tejas.

Balaji confirmed to Business Standard that the Naval Tejas development was under way. “ADA believes that we have a good configuration for the LCA Navy Mark II, which will meet the operational requirements of a deck-based aircraft, as specified in the cabinet clearance in December 2009.”
The navy, however, is now demanding far greater capability from the Tejas than what the cabinet clearance of 2009 had specified. At a defence ministry meeting in August, the admirals cited a significantly more challenging operational environment.

Meanwhile the two-phase upgrade of the Naval Tejas continues. In Phase-1, the IAF version of the Tejas Mark I was modified, at a cost of Rs 1,729 crore, into the Naval Tejas Mark I. This involved measures like strengthening the undercarriage for landings on carrier decks and modifying the cockpit to increase pilot visibility. Yet, the Mark I remained predominantly an air force, rather than a naval, fighter.

ADA intends to customise it into a naval fighter in Phase-2, which has been allocated Rs 1,921 crore. Like the IAF version, this will involve comprehensive redesign, including replacing the current General Electric F-404IN engine with a more powerful F-414 engine. But other important changes will optimise the fighter for carrier operations. Weight will be shaved off the undercarriage, which will be accommodated inside a lengthened wing, freeing up space in the centre fuselage for an additional 700 litres of fuel. This will give the fighter an extra 20-25 minutes of flight endurance. In addition, the tail hook will be engineered afresh.

The ADA chief has argued forcefully in the defence ministry, and Parrikar has accepted the need for a step-by-step approach to naval fighter design, rather than attempting a huge technology jump by designing a fifth-generation Naval AMCA. They believe that first designing an optimised naval fighter --- the Naval Tejas Mark II --- would develop capabilities realistically and incrementally.

Fleet air experts note the US Navy’s struggle to build the carrier deck version of the Joint Strike Fighter, called the F-35C. Although America has built carrier deck aircraft for a century, the technology leap attempted in the F-35 created issues that are still being resolved.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2016/12/aircraft-carrier-version-of-tejas-still.html
Check out this bundalbaz article.

LCA Tejas MK-2 for the carrier operation survives -- Survives from what -- B.S MK-2/Naval is the naval version of the LCA Program and still in the development phase, so how would it survives from what ?? Indian Navy when the Navy is still to release its requirement aka ASQR. And AMCA is only the project dream of the ADA only till now everything is just the hoshbag of some people living in Lalaland.

zebra7

If 41 F404s have been ordered, more will be ordered from GE. GE has not stopped production of F404. You are repeatedly making a stupid claim that production of F404 has been stopped without bothering to prove it. IAF has already ordered 83 LCA Mk1As and all of them are going to use F404 only. Kindly prove that production has been stopped before you repeat the same thing again.
GE F414 is the upgraded version of GE F404 engine thus they will shift all the future upgrades and development on F414 engine afterwards. As far as 404 production is concerned, the GE have long stopped its production. When I am saying that production of 404 engine have stopped it does not means that lines cannot be opened again, yes it can but wilh substantial order, but you fail to understand that there is time period between the first order and the delivery, which is 2 years.

Defcon 1

Country flag
As far as 404 production is concerned, the GE have long stopped its production. When I am saying that production of 404 engine have stopped it does not means that lines cannot be opened again, yes it can but wilh substantial order, but you fail to understand that there is time period between the first order and the delivery, which is 2 years.
Can you prove any of this or are you just wasting my time?

zebra7

Can you prove any of this or are you just wasting my time?
Why should I prove you, when everything I am stating is in the public domain and what I am repeating is what was in the news about the order of 99 GE 414 engine. Atleast you need to prove otherwise

Defcon 1

Country flag
Why should I prove you, when everything I am stating is in the public domain and what I am repeating is what was in the news about the order of 99 GE 414 engine. Atleast you need to prove otherwise
If it is all in public domain, why is it proving so difficult for you to provide a link even after I have asked for it thrice? You are the only member on the forum who managed to find it in public domain, no one else.

As for 99 G414 engine deal, your level of knowledge is terrible. So let me educate you. Read this:

US aircraft engine manufacturer General Electric (GE) Aviation today won the bid for supplying engines for the Indian Light Combat Aircraft programme and the deal is estimated to be worth over $600 million.

GE pipped its European competitor Eurojet for the deal after DRDO, which is developing the LCA's mark II version, formally announced that the American major's was the lowest bid in the tenders that saw a long-drawn battle for over two years.
Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Read how GE414 was selected for LCA Mk2, not Mk1. That was when IAF had a requirement for 83 LCA Mk2. Now that order has been converted to 83 MK1A
http://swarajyamag.com/insta/indige...st-big-order-83-fighters-to-be-bought-for-iaf

LCA Mk1A will be equipped with GE404 Engine only.

The aircraft will continue to have the same GE 404 engine however in this variant, but the lack of adequate power will be compensated by the warfare capability generated by the new sensors, with AESA providing a formidable force multiplication. This type of radar uses multiple frequencies to electronically scan several targets simultaneously.
http://www.indiastrategic.in/topstories3767_HAL_developing_LCA-1P_with_AESA_Radar.htm

So kindly research before making a claim that you can't prove from next time

Filtercoffee

Country flag
If it is all in public domain, why is it proving so difficult for you to provide a link even after I have asked for it thrice? You are the only member on the forum who managed to find it in public domain, no one else.

As for 99 G414 engine deal, your level of knowledge is terrible. So let me educate you. Read this:

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Read how GE414 was selected for LCA Mk2, not Mk1. That was when IAF had a requirement for 83 LCA Mk2. Now that order has been converted to 83 MK1A
http://swarajyamag.com/insta/indige...st-big-order-83-fighters-to-be-bought-for-iaf

http://www.indiastrategic.in/topstories3767_HAL_developing_LCA-1P_with_AESA_Radar.htm

Sir,
I wanted to ask what if they do not get the order, will the Kaveri be really ready after the tune up by Safran for MK 2? for MK 1A as well? and what about the hot engine with the U.S. if Kaveri doesnt work well EVEN after Safran and secret team from Dassault tune up? (worst case).

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don`t think both of you got to any conclusions ..

@zebra7, is claiming that their are no GE404 being ordered where as their is order for GE414, So from his perspective he is assuming the engines will go to MK1A..

@Defcon 1, Have provided all the links but not what being asked by his counterpart, Further its his assumptions that MK2 project has been dissolve and MK1A will get GE404 anyway, Then question remains what will happen to those GE414 ..

===========

Kaveri on other hand will be mated with MK1A and perhaps MK1 also, GE414 will be going for MK2 anyways ..

Read more at:

Defcon 1

Country flag
@Defcon 1, Have provided all the links but not what being asked by his counterpart, Further its his assumptions that MK2 project has been dissolve and MK1A will get GE404 anyway, Then question remains what will happen to those GE414 ..

===========

Kaveri on other hand will be mated with MK1A and perhaps MK1 also, GE414 will be going for MK2 anyways ..
I haven't made any conclusions about Mk2. Kindly point out where I have said that. My counterpart didn't ask anything, he was making a wrong claim and I simply corrected him.

The link provided by me clearly states that Mk1A is getting GE404. There are no doubts about that and if you desire, more links can be provided to prove the same.

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
Sir,
I wanted to ask what if they do not get the order, will the Kaveri be really ready after the tune up by Safran for MK 2? for MK 1A as well? and what about the hot engine with the U.S. if Kaveri doesnt work well EVEN after Safran and secret team from Dassault tune up? (worst case).
By they I assume you mean GE. I believe its more or less clear now that Kaveri's successor projects are now being run as purely research projects. For now, LCA Mk1 and Mk1A will be equipped with GE404 and Mk2 with GE414. If Kaveri's derivative gets ready, it can be the the MLU choice for LCA or could be installed on MK2 in later batches, if any Mk2s are ordered and it gets ready by then. As a personal opinion, If we can get a good deal with Dassault, I think we have a very good chance of getting Kaveri's derivative ready by 2025-30, when LCA Mk2 will come in.

I don't we are going to get engine tech from US in foreseeable future. I also think we shouldn't try to bank on US for engine tech since they do not have any future combat aircraft that use the engine in class GE F404/F414/Kaveri class. Hence, dependence on them would mean paying them fat money to develop better versions of F414 engine like the EPE version. Europeans however, will continue to hone their engines for follow on engines of Rafale/EFT, and therefore cost of further engine R&D can be split between India and them. Also, as I had said on another thread sometime back, US never transfer good tech, whereas French are much more open about TOT.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If that not so, Then why stating the order is converted ?, Unless you are assuming MK1A instead of MK2, Lets keep assumptions aside ..

The link provided is 2 years old from 2015, And every other legitimate link you can provide is post Nov 2016 ..

India’s quest to develop its own fighter jet engine got a leg up after a $2-million consultancy agreement was finalised with leading French defence manufacturer Safran to help revive the Kaveri project.

Apart from the initial consultancy fees, India may not need to spend on development as the French side has proposed to make the Kaveri flight-worthy within 18 months for integration into the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft by 2020.

Read more at : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

================

If one has to see the timeline and events then, the last purchase of 24 x GE 404 is from 2007, No order of such engine afterwards but 99 x GE 414 in 2012 long before even MK2 work could begun, Their is absolute no word on GE 404 but Done deal worth 2 million to revive Kaveri with French and implementation on MK1A, The logic only talks about Kaveri integration with Tejas in near future as of now and not GE 404 anywhere but outdated articles ..

I haven't made any conclusions about Mk2. Kindly point out where I have said that. My counterpart didn't ask anything, he was making a wrong claim and I simply corrected him.

The link provided by me clearly states that Mk1A is getting GE404. There are no doubts about that and if you desire, more links can be provided to prove the same.
By they I assume you mean GE. I believe its more or less clear now that Kaveri's successor projects are now being run as purely research projects. For now, LCA Mk1 and Mk1A will be equipped with GE404 and Mk2 with GE414. If Kaveri's derivative gets ready, it can be the the MLU choice for LCA or could be installed on MK2 in later batches, if any Mk2s are ordered and it gets ready by then. As a personal opinion, If we can get a good deal with Dassault, I think we have a very good chance of getting Kaveri's derivative ready by 2025-30, when LCA Mk2 will come in.

I don't we are going to get engine tech from US in foreseeable future. I also think we shouldn't try to bank on US for engine tech since they do not have any future combat aircraft that use the engine in class GE F404/F414/Kaveri class. Hence, dependence on them would mean paying them fat money to develop better versions of F414 engine like the EPE version. Europeans however, will continue to hone their engines for follow on engines of Rafale/EFT, and therefore cost of further engine R&D can be split between India and them. Also, as I had said on another thread sometime back, US never transfer good tech, whereas French are much more open about TOT.

Defcon 1

Country flag
If that not so, Then why stating the order is converted ?, Unless you are assuming MK1A instead of MK2, Lets keep assumptions aside ..

The link provided is 2 years old from 2015, And every other legitimate link you can provide is post Nov 2016 ..

Read more at : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

================

If one has to see the timeline and events then, the last purchase of 24 x GE 404 is from 2007, No order of such engine afterwards but 99 x GE 414 in 2012 long before even MK2 work could begun, Their is absolute no word on GE 404 but Done deal worth 2 million to revive Kaveri with French and implementation on MK1A, The logic only talks about Kaveri integration with Tejas in near future as of now and not GE 404 anywhere but outdated articles ..
83 Mk1As are ordered instead of earlier requirement of 83 Mk2. If thats not conversion, then what is? What assumption is there?
IAF earlier said that they wanted 6 sqdrns of LCA, 2 Mk1 and 4 Mk2. Now there are 6 sqdrns of LCA on order, 2 of Mk1 and 4 of Mk1A. If thats not conversion, then what is?

What outdated links? Wherever Mk1As engine has been mentioned, its GE 404. There is not a single source on the entire internet which says LCA Mk1A will come with Kaveri or its successor, but countless ones saying that LCA Mk1A will come with GE404. If thats outdated for you, fine by me. You can stick to your interpretation of the information available, I will stick to mine.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its 14 squadrons as projected by Government of India, Out of 6 which are formally ordered by IAF :

in a written statement tabled in the Lok Sabha on Monday, Antony’s deputy, Jitendra Singh, stated, “The MiG-21 and MiG-27 aircrafts of the IAF have already been upgraded and currently equip 14 combat squadrons. These aircraft, however, are planned for being phased out over the next few years and will be replaced by the LCA.”
“We hope that Tejas would get the FOC by mid of 2017. The BVR Derby missile will be fired again next month. The gun integration work is completed. The air-to-air refuel ling probe too will be tested next year,” Balaji said.

DRDO DG (Aero) C P Ramanarayanan said LCA with Kaveri engine might fly in 2018. He said DRDO is already in consultation with Snecma. Already Rs 2,105 crore has been spent on the project. Another Rs 600 crore is likely to be needed for the testing phase.
Look for source at Tejas MK1 thread ..

===

Additional 83 MK2 fighters after 83 MK1A ..

20 LCA-Mk1 IOC
20 LCA-MK1 FOC
83 LCA-MK1A

Total: 123 Tejas MK1/MK1A

Additional 83 MK2 ..

On updates on indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas which is now inducted into armed forces, he said DRDO desires to take the total orders to 123 after meeting the placement of an additional 83 aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF). The 83 aircraft will see improvements made in avionics and weaponry capability and this include the next version of LCA Mk2.
Source : http://indianexpress.com/article/in...-10-unmanned-aircraft-like-rustom-ii-4386000/

========
========

In that case you are spreading disinformation, stick with your logic and best yours not on the forum, Unless you get something better to back it up ..

Best keep that 'rhetoric' tongue down to your own throat, Its not really appreciated here ..

83 Mk1As are ordered instead of earlier requirement of 83 Mk2. If thats not conversion, then what is? What assumption is there?
IAF earlier said that they wanted 6 sqdrns of LCA, 2 Mk1 and 4 Mk2. Now there are 6 sqdrns of LCA on order, 2 of Mk1 and 4 of Mk1A. If thats not conversion, then what is?

What outdated links? Wherever Mk1As engine has been mentioned, its GE 404. There is not a single source on the entire internet which says LCA Mk1A will come with Kaveri or its successor, but countless ones saying that LCA Mk1A will come with GE404. If thats outdated for you, fine by me. You can stick to your interpretation of the information available, I will stick to mine.

shiphone

Country flag
besides the loads of classic F/A-18/JAS-39 flying, F404 is powering the SK's trainer/Light Attacker T50/F/A-50 which have quite some orders in hands

KAI_T-50_Golden_Eable_by_Ryabtsev.jpg

F404 is also powering two candidates of UAAF T-X new Trainer project(4 bidders in total)--Boeing/Saab BYX-1 and the LM/KAI T-50A, if either of them wins, at least 350 new jets with F404 engine would be ordered to replace the aged T-38s and it could push the overall purchase to over 1,000.

tx_rollout_product_hero.jpg
lockheedt-50.jpg

at this moment, we needn't worry too much about the fate of F404 production line...instead, Indian current order of F404 might not even cover the 40 LCA MK.1 request. just pay a little attention to the new contract for F404 engines by Indian Government. the number might tell some things...

Last edited:

tejas warrior

Country flag
Tejas inches closer to FOC; crucial trials coming up

By: By Anantha Krishnan M4 Jan 2017, 08:11 pm

Bengaluru: The Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas programme is heading towards the Final Operational Clearance (FOC) phase scheduled to be achieved by June this year. According to sources involved with the project, Derby missile will be fired in a guided mode during the first quarter of the year, clearing a key FOC parameter.
“In the air-to-air role, we have already fired the R-73 and it is the turn of Derby in guided mode now. In the air-to-ground phase, different types of bombs have already been dropped and tested. There are some software updates needed to fine-tune the accuracy of these missions,” an official told Mathrubhumi on Wednesday.

Interestingly, it was on January 4, 2001 LCA had its first flight with Wg Cdr Rajiv Kothiyal piloting the Technology Demonstrator-1. In the last 16 years, different platforms from the test flightline have completed around 3300 flights.
“If you add up the Squadron flights, the numbers will be more,” says the official. The Indian Air Force (IAF) now operates three Tejas fighters from Bengaluru.
No major hiccups in the programme
The official said that there are no major hiccups with programmes and the FOC deadlines will now be met.
“Software upgradation might happen even after FOC. We have already integrated the air-to-air-refuelling-probe on LSP-8 and it will soon undertake trials. Flight envelope checks are being done to see any variations in the aerodynamics performance,” says the official.
He said the engineers wanted to ensure that there is absolutely no influence on the air data parameters, post integration of the refuelling probe.
“First dry runs will be executed followed by wet fuel transfer. It is a complex mission,” adds the official.
The Russian gun (Gsh-23) has already been integrated on LSP-7 for the ground butt firing trials at Nasik. This will be followed by flight trials in the second quarter of the year.
The envelope expansion (8G) has already been achieved at the Bahrain International Air Show last year. The Angle of Attack (AoA) of 26 degrees has also been achieved, with the actual requirement being 24 degrees.

Tejas flypast at R-Day?

A fly-past by three-Tejas formation is likely this time during the R-Day Parade in Delhi.
According to sources, the IAF is mulling over the idea of moving away from convention of not flying single-engine fighters during R-Day Parade over Rajpath.
“Single-engine fighters did fly over Rajpath during R-Day parade many decades ago, including the Sea Harriers. This time there’s a thought process to fly the Tejas. A total of five Tejas platforms are being readied, including two from the flight test line as a stand-by. A final confirmation has to come from Air HQ,” says an official with DRDO.

During the upcoming 11th Aero India from February 14 in Bengaluru, Tejas will make its debut in Squadron colours. HAL is making all efforts to add one more fighter (SP-4) to the Squadron at the earliest.
The writer tweets @writetake)

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/mobile/n ... -1.1629819

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
The official said that there are no major hiccups with programmes and the FOC deadlines will now be met.
Music to one's ears, yes yes this has already slipped counltess times but just a few months from ths final deadline and they are sticking to it, this is cause for celebration.

Seriously f*ck anyone that proposes the F-16 or Gripen now.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Check out this bundalbaz article.

LCA Tejas MK-2 for the carrier operation survives -- Survives from what -- B.S MK-2/Naval is the naval version of the LCA Program and still in the development phase, so how would it survives from what ?? Indian Navy when the Navy is still to release its requirement aka ASQR. And AMCA is only the project dream of the ADA only till now everything is just the hoshbag of some people living in Lalaland.
I don't understand this compulsion by some to have the LCA be a solution to every requirement in the Indian armed forces. It is a single engined lightweight MRCA, it isn't a heavy weight deep strike a/c like the Rafale and it isn't compatible with the IN's requirements (18+ ton twin engined MMRCA), there is no shame in that FFS!

The LCA does exactly what it was meant to do and then some and it will actually be increidbly useful for India as a test bed as it seeks to develop a future carrier fighter. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the IN didn't buy a SQN (or two) of the N-LCA after 2025 to serve as a carrier qualification platform/LIFT.

Let's not move the goal posts and loose our minds if it isn't a 7th gen fighter, it was never meant to be a carrier fighter, it was meant to replace the MiG-21, that is ALL. In this respect it has far exceeded its orginal breif and will be a devestatingly brilliant addtion to the IAF to COMPLIMENT their other assets (MKI/Rafale).

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its not matter of Tejas being the master key or not, Its the reply for all the knee jerking conclusion that people are coming with..

In simple terms 'Lets not count your chickens before they hatch' ..

=======

That exactly government is singing into HAL ears, hence their progress ..

I don't understand this compulsion by some to have the LCA be a solution to every requirement in the Indian armed forces. It is a single engined lightweight MRCA, it isn't a heavy weight deep strike a/c like the Rafale and it isn't compatible with the IN's requirements (18+ ton twin engined MMRCA), there is no shame in that FFS!

The LCA does exactly what it was meant to do and then some and it will actually be increidbly useful for India as a test bed as it seeks to develop a future carrier fighter. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the IN didn't buy a SQN (or two) of the N-LCA after 2025 to serve as a carrier qualification platform/LIFT.

Let's not move the goal posts and loose our minds if it isn't a 7th gen fighter, it was never meant to be a carrier fighter, it was meant to replace the MiG-21, that is ALL. In this respect it has far exceeded its orginal breif and will be a devestatingly brilliant addtion to the IAF to COMPLIMENT their other assets (MKI/Rafale).

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Its not matter of Tejas being the master key or not, Its the reply for all the knee jerking conclusion that people are coming with..

In simple terms 'Lets not count your chickens before they hatch' ..

=======

That exactly government is singing into HAL ears, hence their progress ..
This is what an honest progressive leadership could do. Mr Parikar is undoubtedly the best defence minister. And if this leadership stays In office for next 7 year's, both MK-2 and AMCA will become reality.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Amazing! What happens to the parachute deployed during landing, is it discarded or is it reused
Brake chute is there and will remain. However in this display pilot is displaying efficiency of aerodynamic braking along with mechanical ( wheel brakes). This goes to show superior design features that is there in Tejas.

The brake chute will still be used in case of emergency landings and also when operating out from air bases situated at high altitudes where air is thin.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Music to one's ears, yes yes this has already slipped counltess times but just a few months from ths final deadline and they are sticking to it, this is cause for celebration.

F-16 or Gripen would still be there. IAF needs numbers to build up on its squadron strength. Although I would have vouched for 10 squad of Tejas then the current 6, but even then too 2nd line of fighter would have been needed. But instead of going for single engine versions, I would have gone for twin engine ones. But I think these single engine ones would be around 200 in numbers then the proposed 400. It means another 200 twin engne fighters are yet to come.
Moreover this acquisition would take time to complete. Lets take a decade to be on safe side. Till that time HAL and ADA could come out with Mk2 and AMCA to complete the next gen of Tejas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles