ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
LCA Fires Missile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZMuisk4I8

Although the Video claims it to be an R-73 missile, I saw another video which claimed it to be some other missile and quite frankly I'm not sure. So, take a call guys... and, do let me know which missile it is... :):):)

EnlightenedMonk

Yep, another video claimed it to be the AA-11 Archer... and I didn't know the difference... so I asked...
Okay... I checked on the net now... both seem to be the same... hehehehe... Sorry.... :D:D:D:D:D:D

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
LCA-Tejas has completed 1085 Test Flights successfully. (18-Mar-09).

LCA has completed 1085 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233, TD2-304,PV1-187,PV2-119,PV3-144,LSP1-46,LSP2-52).
119th flight of Tejas PV2 occurred on 17th Mar 09.
144th flight of Tejas PV3 occurred on 17th Mar 09.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Isn't the the weapon testing phase now?

deltacamelately

Professional
Is there any proposal to equip LCA with Survillence and ECM Pods to do electronic intelligence?

Reason for asking this question is that, we should heavily inclined upon equipping LCA with this gadgets, as full scale war is highly unlikely, under such circumstances in case of Mumbai like terror attack our first tactics would be do gather radar signature of Pakistan's ground based radars as well as jamming of radio signals and all other electronic attacks. Since we should optimize LCA for Peace like condition rather then putting entire focus on enrolling it for Offensive strike or using it only for the purpose of Point defence fighter. As LCA with survillence pod rather then full weapons load have more merit of low radar signature and hence can be best utilized for Survillence tactics.
No such proposal.
Further, the entire project is aimed at producing a fighter intereceptor that can replace the ageing Migs and address the problem of depleteing sqadrons of the IAF. Any thing other will have to wait. Add to this converting a interceptor bird to a surveillance platform will require huge changes. However, while IAF apart from its ground based radars, has the priviledges of AWACS and the MKIs listening capabilities, converting a fighter platform into a recee platform doesn't has much merit.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
No such proposal.
Further, the entire project is aimed at producing a fighter intereceptor that can replace the ageing Migs and address the problem of depleteing sqadrons of the IAF. Any thing other will have to wait. Add to this converting a interceptor bird to a surveillance platform will require huge changes. However, while IAF apart from its ground based radars, has the priviledges of AWACS and the MKIs listening capabilities, converting a fighter platform into a recee platform doesn't has much merit.
I thought it was planned for multi role since free fall bombs also been tested, BTW how much speed is a factor for for an interceptor?

deltacamelately

Professional
Payeng Reply

I thought it was planned for multi role since free fall bombs also been tested, BTW how much speed is a factor for for an interceptor?
Payeng,

Though I am not an expert in aviation, still afaik, any interceptor assigned for point defence has to have speed in excess of Mach 1. With attack birds employing super cruise and TVS, it becomes even more imperative for a interceptor to position itself well in time to score a kill. BTW, most interceptors can do limited A2G ops with slight modifications on its hard points. However, the LCA was perceived and designed specifically for A2A interdictions. I'm personally not sure about its proficiency in A2G and bombing capabilities, though I don't contest that.

deltacamelately

Professional
Bye everybody for now. It was a good starting day and the forum seems remarkably mature and neat. More power to you gentlemen for coming out with a good Indian board.

screwterrorists

Founding Member
yes multiple roles but it would be impractical for the LCA to be used as a survellance aircraft. This is exactly why the IAF is aquiring Phalcons and DRDO is accelerating work on its own AWACs. It is also the reason why the Sukhois themselves are mini awacs. The navy is procuring P-8i. Airborne radars are being installed [the balloon ones?]. Green pines were ordered.
LCA is as delta said, meant to enhance interceptor abilities.
I dont believe the LCA would be physically gifted enough to encompass a radar with significant detection capability [like sukhoi]. I could be wrong though.

VayuSena1

Professional
yes multiple roles but it would be impractical for the LCA to be used as a survellance aircraft. This is exactly why the IAF is aquiring Phalcons and DRDO is accelerating work on its own AWACs. It is also the reason why the Sukhois themselves are mini awacs. The navy is procuring P-8i. Airborne radars are being installed [the balloon ones?]. Green pines were ordered.
LCA is as delta said, meant to enhance interceptor abilities.
I dont believe the LCA would be physically gifted enough to encompass a radar with significant detection capability [like sukhoi]. I could be wrong though.
Screwterrorists, I think you are right and wrong here. I agree that Tejas is not capable of being used as a surveillance aircraft. However, to say that it cannot ever be, is wrong. The making of Mk.2 has been confirmed and I am sure that after taking so much time to build a 4.5 generation fighter and gaining its know-how, it would not take the ADA and HAL to fast-track the improvements and redesign of Tejas into Mk.2 versions which would be rivaling the Gripen NG. I am saying this after listening to what Mr. Ashok Baweja of HAL revealed in a press meet.

Besides, equipping Israeli ELTA 3052 AESA radars on these would make them sufficiently lethal and capable of doing low-medium level intensity surveillance of enemy movements and even launch aerial strikes on them. Despite its tiny size, Tejas is known for achieving things that in the beginning seemed impractical to the common public. Despite all its delays, it does have a bright future, as in today's era, light fighters are crucial for a decisive and quick victory as compared to the larger and heavier deep-penetration fighters.

screwterrorists

Founding Member
Screwterrorists, I think you are right and wrong here. I agree that Tejas is not capable of being used as a surveillance aircraft. However, to say that it cannot ever be, is wrong. The making of Mk.2 has been confirmed and I am sure that after taking so much time to build a 4.5 generation fighter and gaining its know-how, it would not take the ADA and HAL to fast-track the improvements and redesign of Tejas into Mk.2 versions which would be rivaling the Gripen NG. I am saying this after listening to what Mr. Ashok Baweja of HAL revealed in a press meet.

Besides, equipping Israeli ELTA 3052 AESA radars on these would make them sufficiently lethal and capable of doing low-medium level intensity surveillance of enemy movements and even launch aerial strikes on them. Despite its tiny size, Tejas is known for achieving things that in the beginning seemed impractical to the common public. Despite all its delays, it does have a bright future, as in today's era, light fighters are crucial for a decisive and quick victory as compared to the larger and heavier deep-penetration fighters.

You are absolutely correct. TO my defense I never said Tejas will never be able to be used in such a way. I said it was HIGHLY unlikely and i doubted its ability to do so.
Also, i dont doubt Tejas's bright future. Im a firm believer in stealth and maneuverability. Tejas's small size not only leaves small signature but makes it more maneuverable .

EnlightenedMonk

Vayusena... I had a doubt... Looking at the pictures of the Tejas, it looks to me as if the rear view of the pilot when he turns around will be limited... is that true ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles