ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesh

Country flag
i have a double on air intake, but exactly about it, but about the air.....i would question about the air thickness and the atmospheric conditions(the dry air and most moist air like leh) affecting the air intake and engine performance at that time.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Air at leh is not moist at all, Its rare ( Lack of Air ) and cold, Where as in plains it moist and Abundant ..

Most engines suffer engine flame outs in high altitude, Tejas on other hand passed all test at High altitudes ..

i have a double on air intake, but exactly about it, but about the air.....i would question about the air thickness and the atmospheric conditions(the dry air and most moist air like leh) affecting the air intake and engine performance at that time.

sjmaverick

Country flag
Just to recollect the pace of development can somebody update the status of requirements for FOC (My understanding on the same might be incorrect) :-

1. Integration of Derby and Python BVR missiles weighing 150 kg, with a range of 70 km : I think it was already achieved for at-least one of them
2. Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-23 gun integration : achieved (under trial)
3. Air-to-air refuelling probe : Achieved
4. The angle of attack will be increased from 24 to 28 : I recollect 26 was achieved
5. Improved Braking System : Achieved
6. Quartz nose cone : Delivery delayed till March - April (testing to begin thereafter)
AND
Avionics were updated (with newer version)

Please mention more on above if i missed any as proposed or achieved parameters between IOC II and FOC

It would be nice if any of the senior members can update ( @Kunal Biswas sir/ @ersakthivel sir) it result in lesser debate and quick response.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1. Integration of Derby BVR`s software is already done on LCA NP2 ..
2. System is ready for trails, Integration was completed ..
3. System is ready for trails, Integration was completed ..
4. The FOC target is 24 degrees i assume, The design can archive 28 or Above ..
5. Done
6. Avionics already upgraded with new EW suit and sensors ..

1. Integration of Derby and Python BVR missiles weighing 150 kg, with a range of 70 km : I think it was already achieved for at-least one of them
4. The angle of attack will be increased from 24 to 28 : I recollect 26 was achieved
6. Quartz nose cone : Delivery delayed till March - April (testing to begin thereafter)
AND

Please mention more on above if i missed any as proposed or achieved parameters between IOC II and FOC

It would be nice if any of the senior members can update (Kunal sir/ Ersakthivel sir) it result in lesser debate and quick response.

Thanks in Advance

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Just to recollect the pace of development can somebody update the status of requirements for FOC (My understanding on the same might be incorrect) :-

AND

It would be nice if any of the senior members can update ( @Kunal Biswas sir/ @ersakthivel sir) it result in lesser debate and quick response.

Thanks in Advance
Quartz radome is pending and with it live firing of Derby for its full range,

but these require no modification of airframe or avionics, mostly software tuning and pylon matching with missile and bearing the launch stress.

Last edited by a moderator:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Scientists face uphill task developing India's first 5th generation fighter | idrw.org

While the crucial part – the engine – is hoped to be tackled at the air show, the project is also partially handicapped by the lack of adequate transonic (at the speeds close to speed of sound) wind tunnel facilities, Tamilmani said. At present, India has just one such wind tunnel facility – the one belonging to National Aerospace Laboratories off Old Airport Road in Bengaluru.

Wind tunnels are the crucial part of an aircraft development, in which the model of an aircraft is subject to a simulated flight by shooting high-speed winds at the aircraft frame and actually making it fly even as it is actually stationary. With this, engineers can arrive at the best designs and assess the stress that the airframe can endure – crucial in an aircraft design.

The NAL's wind tunnel has the capacity of just 1,500 blow-downs (the high-speed shooting) while our requirement is 11,000 a year. In the absence of meeting such a high demand, we are forced to go abroad to have the aircraft tested," Tamilmani said. The DRDO is currently taking the AMCA design model to Calspan Corporation's transonic wind tunnel, the largest independently-owned wind tunnel in the USA.

However, the disadvantage of doing that, he said, is that "we are taking our details and concepts abroad, that too at our expense." Tamilmani said the government is looking at a land in Telangana to set up a national wind tunnel facility to fill the gap. "In the next five years, we should have the facility," he said, hinting at the urgency of pushing the AMCA project.

The AMCA went into the project definition phase after obtaining the preliminary staff qualitative requirement from the IAF, with whom ADA has undertaken the project.
Time govt sanctions funds to build a higher capacity wind tunnel capable of having 15000 blow downs a year.

rahulrds1

Nirbhay cruise missile for LCA Tejas

DRDO To Develop Air-Launched Version Of Nirbhay Cruise Missile

India has begun the work on developing an air launch version of its nuclear-capable subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Director-General (Aero) Dr K Tamilmani confirmed to OneIndia that the confidence and technology know-how mastered by developing the air version of BrahMos missile, to be test-fired from Sukhoi soon, has propelled the team for launching the Nirbhay variant.

He did not specify what stage the project has reached or when will the project get into a definite stage. Nirbhay is being developed by DRDO's Bengaluru-based wing — the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE). The missile is likely to be test-fired from Sukhoi, while the thought process is on to see the feasibility to integrate the same on other platforms as well.

When specifically asked whether it was the Indian Air Force (IAF) who placed the requirement for Nirbhay's air version, the senior-most scientist in DRDO said that it was a collective effort.

Third launch of Nirbhay within 60 days:

DRDO has so far conducted two tests of Nirbhay, with the first one being partially successful and the second one hitting the designated target area with pin-point precision. The successful second launch was held on October 17, 2014 from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur.

Dr Tamilmani said that the third launch of the missile will be held in March or April. "We are trying to do a launch where the missile will be cruising at lesser altitude, ducking any possible threat from radars," he added.

IAF awaiting final study report:

Military sources confirm to this Correspondent that the IAF had written to DRDO for initiating the Nirbhay air launch project.

"The Aircraft Systems and Testing Establishment and Software Development Institute (both IAF units based out of Bengaluru) are part of a team that's currently looking into the finer points of the missile along with ADE. The team is expected to submit a report to Air HQ by end of April," a Ministry of Defence official, told OneIndia over the phone from Delhi.

At DRDO, they noted that the Nirbhay missile can use the Su-30MKI's existing pylons that now carry the Brahmos missile. In the future, they are also considering using the Nirbhay missile to arm the light Indian fighter jets – the Tejas, but for this, the rocket will need to be "shortened" by about 25%.

The development of the Nirbhay began in 2007. According to experts, the missile has a high degree of accuracy and a range of up to 1,500 kilometers. Until now, only two test firings from the ground have been carried out.

The official said that the missile will have to undergo some sizing changes so as to be deployed from Sukhoi. "There are some dimensional constrains. But, the same pylons of BrahMos will be used by Nirbhay as well. In future if Nirbhay needs to be fitted on to Tejas, then the missile will have to get shorter in size," the official said.

Read more: http://hindi.sputniknews.com/south_asia/20150212/1013406594.html#ixzz3RYS4l0VA

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
a similar article was on times of india - that trainig manuals were not ready and that radar was not integrated
and a couple of other things plus they cited the project was 35 years in the making

i was searching t«for the article to post here and it has been edited to remove some of the details of the
radar etc

all i can say is that for a first attempt - 35 years and the plane is still not ready - is ok as a first try

i only hope tejas Mk 2 will not be a repeat performance !

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
a similar article was on times of india - that trainig manuals were not ready and that radar was not integrated
and a couple of other things plus they cited the project was 35 years in the making

i was searching t«for the article to post here and it has been edited to remove some of the details of the
radar etc

all i can say is that for a first attempt - 35 years and the plane is still not ready - is ok as a first try

i only hope tejas Mk 2 will not be a repeat performance !
meh... Asumptions are gone wrong.. looks like MK II comes with some mior changes like AESA, more missile integrating, another version of GE engine ..

Hope for LCA MK XI Block 60

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
main reason why tejas development has taken this all this while;-
indian scientists and engineers had been working on incorrect model of
earth revolving around the sun

Saudi cleric claims Earth is stationary, does not revolve around Sun – The Express Tribune

The Express Tribune
Saudi cleric claims Earth is stationary, does not revolve around Sun
By Web Desk
Published: February 17, 2015

A Saudi cleric in a recent video rejected the theory that the Earth revolves around the Sun and claimed that the opposite is true, Al Arabia News reported.

His statements sparked a wave of social media remarks across the globe.

When a student questioned him about whether the Earth was stationary or moving, Sheikh Bandar al-Khaibari responded with "stationary and does not move."

To support his theory, Khaibari quoted some clerics and chose to present some religious statements. He then used some visuals to further strengthen his argument.

Holding up a sealed water cup, he questioned "First of all, where are we now? We go to Sharjah airport to travel to China by plane, clear? Focus with me, this is Earth," he said pointing at the sealed cup.

He then argued that if a plane stops still in the air, "China would be coming towards it in case the Earth rotates in one direction. If the Earth rotates in the opposite direction, the plane would never reach China, because China is also rotating," he explained.

my comments : i suppose this also explains the rise of china

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles