ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
These are the words of Cmde Jaydeep Maolankar, veteran Test Pilot of the Tejas program during AEROINDIA 2013.

There is no choking of air intake during high alpha ,

and no drag issue either,and mk-2 is just going to be 0.5 meter longer than the mk-1.

Also for all the higher thrust the MK-2 will have just 10 mm increase in air intake which won't even be visible to naked eye.

So all comments that the air intake is badly designed and it is choking the fighter at critical high alpha is not based on any credible sources and just people's own views, and credible sources are in fact saying exactly the opposite.

F-414 was primarily Navy requirement to cater to the increased weight of landing gear, only later IAF also went for it.

Initially the IAF was fine with the F-404 IN 20. So there is no under power issues and no basis for claims that mk-1 is underpowered and mk-2 is the solution for the problem,

LCA mk-1 has already crossed AOA of 22 and may go a few degrees further is the words of the test pilot. They also said it is the best handler,

And even in the AERO INDIA 2013 it was not pushed to it's limits,

When asked about STRs and ITRs , he said ," it is enough , let me put it that way"

And note the wry comments regarding brochuritis infection(cutting and pasting different specs of different fighters with out ever thinking whether they can be achieved by a single airframe) of the services jokingly passed on by the veteran test pilot.

Also take note of his disparaging comments about DDM and all the bullshit spread by them.

Last edited:

amanbat11

These are the words of Cmde Jaydeep Maolankar, veteran Test Pilot of the Tejas program during AEROINDIA 2013.

There is no choking of air intake during high alpha ,

and no drag issue either,and mk-2 is just going to be 0.5 meter longer than the mk-1.

Also for all the higher thrust the MK-2 will have just 10 mm increase in air intake which won't even be visible to naked eye.

So all comments that the air intake is badly designed and it is choking the fighter at critical high alpha is not based on any credible sources and just people's own views, and credible sources are in fact saying exactly the opposite.

F-414 was primarily Navy requirement to cater to the increased weight of landing gear, only later IAF also went for it.

Initially the IAF was fine with the F-404 IN 20. So there is no under power issues and no basis for claims that mk-1 is underpowered and mk-2 is the solution for the problem,

LCA mk-1 has already crossed AOA of 22 and may go a few degrees further is the words of the test pilot. They also said it is the best handler,

And even in the AERO INDIA 2013 it was not pushed to it's limits,

When asked about STRs and ITRs , he said ," it is enough , let me put it that way"

And note the wry comments regarding brochuritis infection(cutting and pasting different specs of different fighters with out ever thinking whether they can be achieved by a single airframe) of the services jokingly passed on by the veteran test pilot.

Also take note of his disparaging comments about DDM and all the bullshit spread by them.
Can you provide the source of your info, I mean the link. 0.5 meter length increase, it's a big change from what we have been reading. From what I understand, LCA MK1 couldn't be a 4.5 gen fighter because it's airframe can't incorporate AESA radar; a bigger engine which could make it supercruise and a Mach 1.8 aircraft.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
LCA MK-1 have no issues to get AESA, But LCA-MK-2 is designed specifically for new engine..

Due to Engine dimension, Aircraft is also little longer but it also carry more fuel and lot other improvements..

opesys

Last edited by a moderator:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Can you provide the source of your info, I mean the link. 0.5 meter length increase, it's a big change from what we have been reading. From what I understand, LCA MK1 couldn't be a 4.5 gen fighter because it's airframe can't incorporate AESA radar; a bigger engine which could make it supercruise and a Mach 1.8 aircraft.
This is the detail from the post by a portion named KARTHIK in Bharath rakshak forum,

The above stats you mentioned are not requirements of 4.5 gen

Asea has no relevance to airframe, From Jags to mig-21s to su-30 any fighter can have an asea

that has a radome dia small enough to be fit intoany fighter's nose cone.

.And mk-1 can have asea in upgrades and and it's top speed is 1.8 as mentioned by ADA,

And it will have 3 engine changes where it's engine can be upgraded with AMCA engine in future as both K-10 and GE-40-IN20 share the same external dimensions ,

no 4.5 gen fighter supers cruises with any meaningful load despite tall claims by any manufacturers.

Last edited:

amanbat11

I know wikipedia is not a reliable source but in the wikipedia's artical, a 4.5 gen aircraft is defined by an AESA radar and ability to supercruise.

This is the detail from the post by a portion named KARTHIK in Bharath rakshak forum,

The above stats you mentioned are not requirements of 4.5 gen

Asea has no relevance to airframe, From Jags to mig-21s to su-30 any fighter can have an asea

that has a radome dia small enough to be fit intoany fighter's nose cone.

.And mk-1 can have asea in upgrades and and it's top speed is 1.8 as mentioned by ADA,

And it will have 3 engine changes where it's engine can be upgraded with AMCA engine in future as both K-10 and GE-40-IN20 share the same external dimensions ,

no 4.5 gen fighter supers cruises with any meaningful load despite tall claims by any manufacturers.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I know wikipedia is not a reliable source but in the wikipedia's artical, a 4.5 gen aircraft is defined by an AESA radar and ability to supercruise.
There is no evidence of any 4.5th gens super cruise with any reasonable loads as far as I know,

asea radar is upgradable on all fighters according to their radome dia , so there is no need for them to be restricted on 4.5 th gen onwards only,

My guess is 4.5 th gens are expected to have a least possible RCS and much better thrust to weight ratio(facilitated by the higher pecrcentage of composites) and

better ITR and STR, again these are just my guess, ASEA radars are the latest , so most of the 4th gens are expected to have asea.

But if tejas mk-1 doesnot have asea while entering service and upgraded with asea as and when asea becomes available for MK_2 , it won't be debarred from 4.5th gen category for that,

For example both in service EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON and RAFALE don't have asea right now, the first RAFALE fitted with asea is being tested now,

Does that mean all the eurofighters and typhoons in service till now are not 4.5th gen?

They will get their asea upgrades and continue to fly that's all,

So, they are the same 4.5th fighters before and after asea upgrades,

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence
http://newindianexpress.com/cities/bangalore/article1461437.ece
suresh Nampoothiri's tejas photo as said in tarmak007

from

http://idrw.org/?p=18522#more-18522

The Tejas Mk 2 will now have a length of 13.70 metres (.50-metre more than that of the Tejas Mk 1, for incorporating a stretched nose section and a modified fuselage section aft of the cockpit for housing an expanded complement of mission avionics LRUs), height of 4.6 metres (as opposed to 4.4 metres of the Tejas Mk 1, to accommodate an enlarged vertical tail-section) and a wingspan of 8.2 metres, same as that of the Tejas Mk 1, that, however with an increased wing area. External stores capacity will be boosted to 5,000 kg (as opposed to 4,000 kg for the Tejas Mk1), while the twin internal air-intake ducts will be enlarged by 10 mm in diameter for the increased air flow requirement of the General Electric F414-GE-INS6 engine.

Coalmine

Country flag

lca vs lazy jf17

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Glass cockpit designs for firth-generation combat aircraft designed by Canada-based CMC Electronics/Easterline, which is competing against ELBIT Systems fir supplying the glass cockpit for the Tejas Mk2 and LCA (Navy) Mk2 MRCAs.

Patriot

Country flag
LCA MK-1 have no issues to get AESA, But LCA-MK-2 is designed specifically for new engine..

Due to Engine dimension, Aircraft is also little longer but it also carry more fuel and lot other improvements..
By observing the mock up model image in aero India, LCA-II seems to be more stealthy compare to LCA-I. There is new design pattern right below the canopy. In addition whole glass canopy [ my wish gold tinted] will add to the stealth as well.

Somreet Bhattacharya

Sir, i guess the glass canopy whether it is a bubble canopy or a full glass F-22 type with gold tint...does not account for any stealth reduction, nor does it add to the stealth feature...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
AFAIK, There is link somewhere here said about stealth Canopy, LCA will get a gold tinted one..

amanbat11

Hey guys where did you find this info that mk2 will have a frame-less Or gold tinted canopy? If you see this model up close, there is a partition, not sure if they have taken the previous model and painted it over.

There are very little difference between MK1 & MK2 from Outside, Most Notable is the canopy which will be frame-less compare to LCA MK1..[/QUOTE]

amanbat11

I can't find out the difference that you mentioned when I compare it with previous model, can you help me see it. And could you tell me where did you find this info that it is no-partition canopy?

By observing the mock up model image in aero India, LCA-II seems to be more stealthy compare to LCA-I. There is new design pattern right below the canopy. In addition whole glass canopy [ my wish gold tinted] will add to the stealth as well.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Sir, i guess the glass canopy whether it is a bubble canopy or a full glass F-22 type with gold tint...does not account for any stealth reduction, nor does it add to the stealth feature...
The purpose of gold tinted canopy is to diffuse the radar waves away from the source,
they are RCS reduction aids specially developed to meet the objective.

p2prada

What will be the average unit cost of Tejas MK II
Estimated to be $40 Million a piece without AESA. With AESA and any other revisions since the estimate was made will only serve to increase the prices.

I can't find out the difference that you mentioned when I compare it with previous model, can you help me see it. And could you tell me where did you find this info that it is no-partition canopy?
LCA Mk2 will not have a frameless canopy. Even the model has a frame.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles