ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are some interesting things coming out, Its seems Tejas Iin flight refueling pod is being tested on a DARIN JAG >>

Photo Taken : Taken on October 30, 2013
Camera : Nikon D300

Source : Flickr: Nubrawarriors' Photostream

============
============

Tejas IFR

============
============

For the record, Jagure IFR >

They are mounted completely different ..

Twinblade

Country flag
There are some interesting things coming out, Its seems Tejas Iin flight refueling pod is being tested on a DARIN JAG >>

Photo Taken : Taken on October 30, 2013
Camera : Nikon D300

Source : Flickr: Nubrawarriors' Photostream

============
============

Tejas IFR

============
============

For the record, Jagure IFR >

They are mounted completely different ..
No. Jaguar has two refueling probe positions. Single seater Jaguar IS/IM have a retractable refueling probe that comes out at the side of the cockpit.

The double seater Jaguars IB have a nose mounted refueling probe.

Tejas Mk 2 will have a retractable probe. Tejas Mk 1 will have a fixed probe.

JAISWAL

IAF will buy 14 Tejas squadrons, lowering costs
Published February 11, 2014
SOURCE: Ajai Shukla

India's own fighter, the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), is playing a growing role in protecting Indian airspace. On December 20, when the Tejas was cleared for operational service in the Indian Air Force (IAF), Defence Minister A K Antony declared 200 Tejas fighters would eventually enter combat service. Today, that figure quietly swelled to well above 300, with the government indicating the IAF would have at least 14 Tejas squadrons.

Each IAF combat squadron has 21 fighter aircraft; 14 squadrons add to 294 Tejas fighters. The 21 comprise 16 frontline, single-seat fighters, two twin-seat trainers and three reserve aircraft to make up losses in a war.

In a written statement tabled in the Lok Sabha on Monday, Antony's deputy, Jitendra Singh, stated, "The MiG-21 andMiG-27 aircrafts of the IAF have already been upgraded and currently equip 14 combat squadrons. These aircraft, however, are planned for being phased out over the next few years and will be replaced by the LCA."

So far, the IAF has committed to inducting only six Tejas squadrons — two squadrons of the current Tejas Mark I, and four squadrons of the improved Tejas Mark II. In addition, the navy plans to buy 40-50 Tejas for its future aircraft carriers.

Since the programme began in 1985, about Rs 7,000 crore have been spent on the Tejas Mark I, which obtained Initial Operational Clearance in December, allowing regular IAF pilots to fly it. By the end of this year, when it obtains Final Operational Clearance, it would have consumed a Budget of Rs 7,965 crore.

An additional Rs 2,432 crore has been allocated for the Tejas Mark II, which takes the total development cost of the IAF variant to Rs 10,397 crore.

Separately, Rs 3,650 crore were sanctioned for developing the naval Tejas, which is ongoing. That means the Aeronautical Development Agency will spend Rs 14,047 crore on the entire Tejas programme, including the IAF, naval and trainer variants.

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, which manufactures the Tejas, has quoted Rs 162 crore a fighter as its latest price. Amortising the entire development cost on the envisioned 344 fighters (IAF: 294; Navy: 50), the Tejas would cost Rs 209 crore ($33.5 million) per fighter.

In comparison, the IAF's Mirage 2000 fighters, bought in the 1980s, are currently being upgraded for $45 million per aircraft. IAF pilots that test-fly the Tejas Mark I find it qualitatively superior to the Mirage 2000.

The heavier Sukhoi-30MKI costs more than Rs 400 crore ($65 million) each. And the Rafale, which is currently being negotiated with Dassault, is pegged at Rs 750-850 crore ($120-140 million) per fighter.

Aerospace expert and historian, Pushpindar Singh, points out that ordering more Tejas would bring down the price further, making it enormously attractive for air forces across the world that are replacing some 3,500 MiG-21, Mirage-III, early model F-16 and F-5 fighters that are completing their service lives.

"With these air forces facing severe budget pressures, the Tejas has only one rival in this market — the JF-17 Thunder, being built by China in partnership with Pakistan. They are marketing the JF-17 aggressively in every global air show, but India is completely ignoring the Tejas' potential," said Singh.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
http://tarmak007.blogspot.in/2014/02/tejas-mk-ii-preliminary-design-to-be.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Anantha Krishnan M
Express News Service
Bangalore: The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) is giving the final touches to the preliminary design of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas Mk-II, scheduled to be completed by the end of March.

An official confirmed to Express on Saturday that the detailed design phase of LCA Mk-2 would begin in the second quarter of 2014. A separate project team from ADA and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), dedicated to the upgraded version, is currently undertaking daily reviews to get the first cut of the design out by next month.

The main scope of Tejas Mk-2 programme is to have the engine changed from the current GE F-404 to GE F-414. A development contract for eight engines for the preliminary design phase has already been signed with GE, with the critical design review already been completed at its Boston facility.

The Mk-II fighter will have OBOGS (Onboard Oxygen Generating System), which is being developed by Defence Bioengineering and Electromedical Laboratory (DEBEL), a Bangalore-based Defence Research and Development Organisation lab.

"Currently, the ground development is over for OBOGS and the systems are undergoing various stages of qualification process," an official who wished not to be named, said.

Tejas Mk-II will have a unified electronic warfare system aimed at detecting and ducking enemy radar and later jamming it. "It is likely to be the most maintenance-friendly aircraft in its class and all equipment onboard can be easily removed or re-installed smoothly.

The Tejas MK-I has some scope for improving the maintenance aspects, which is being addressed in Mk-II," the official said.

He promises to make Tejas Mk-II free from any kind of dead weight. "The Mk-I has some dead weight in the form of lead plates installed to balance the aircraft which will disappear in Mk-II.

It will also have considerable amount of extra fuel capability in operational clean configuration," he added.

The point performance of Mk-II will be higher than Mk-I, which means the aircraft will have better rate of climb, transonic acceleration and turn rates. The new version will have an in-flight refueling system and the ADA-HAL combine is planning to take a new route for Mk-II production.

"We are going for the DFMA (Design for Manufacturing and Assembly) technique for the production of Mk-II. The DFMA concept will be used for the first time for an Indian aviation programme, which will decrease the production time and cost, also increase the quality quotient," the official said.
With the avionics systems changing at a faster rate leading to technology obsolescence, the makers of Tejas have an uphill task of making the fighter contemporary even in the 2025s.

"We will straight away get on to the production phase after the prototypes complete the required test flights. The The Indian Air Force (IAF) support is a huge factor for the Mk-2 project with some cost being shared by them. It shows the confidence the user has in us. Tejas will be the mainstay for IAF in the long run," he said.

The Mk-II project was sanctioned in 2009 at a cost about of Rs 2400 crore and post-design finalisation phase, two prototypes are set to roll out from the HAL hangars. The IAF has committed a minimum of squadrons of Tejas Mk-2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So removal of lead plates in mk-1 for mk-2 means there won't be significant increase at least for the air force version due to the lengthened air frame, No PVs , TDs means faster induction into service.

Higher internal fuel loads and fully integrated Ew suit along with improvements in STR ,ITR, TWR ,climb rate, range, and weapon load makes it even better with no complaints from air force,

kota Harinaraya was reported to have said that new indigenous engine program for Mk-2 is also underway,

most possibly he could have meant the k-10 effort,

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Tejas Mk-II preliminary design to be ready by next month

Tejas Mk-II preliminary design to be ready by next month

Bangalore: The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) is giving the final touches to the preliminary design of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas Mk-II, scheduled to be completed by the end of March. An official confirmed to Express on Saturday that the detailed design phase of LCA Mk-2 would begin in the second quarter of 2014. A separate project team from ADA and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), dedicated to the upgraded version, is currently undertaking daily reviews to get the first cut of the design out by next month.
The main scope of Tejas Mk-2 programme is to have the engine changed from the current GE F-404 to GE F-414. A development contract for eight engines for the preliminary design phase has already been signed with GE, with the critical design review already been completed at its Boston facility. The Mk-II fighter will have OBOGS (Onboard Oxygen Generating System), which is being developed by Defence Bioengineering and Electromedical Laboratory (DEBEL), a Bangalore-based Defence Research and Development Organisation lab. "Currently, the ground development is over for OBOGS and the systems are undergoing various stages of qualification process," an official who wished not to be named, said.
Tejas Mk-II will have a unified electronic warfare system aimed at detecting and ducking enemy radar and later jamming it. "It is likely to be the most maintenance-friendly aircraft in its class and all equipment onboard can be easily removed or re-installed smoothly. The Tejas MK-I has some scope for improving the maintenance aspects, which is being addressed in Mk-II," the official said.
Her promises to make Tejas Mk-II free from any kind of dead weight. "The Mk-I has some dead weight in the form of lead plates installed to balance the aircraft which will disappear in Mk-II. It will also have considerable amount of extra fuel capability in operational clean configuration," he added.
The point performance of Mk-II will be higher than Mk-I, which means the aircraft will have better rate of climb, transonic acceleration and turn rates. The new version will have an in-flight refueling system and the ADA-HAL combine is planning to take a new route for Mk-II production. "We are going for the DFMA (Design for Manufacturing and Assembly) technique for the production of Mk-II. The DFMA concept will be used for the first time for an Indian aviation programme, which will decrease the production time and cost, also increase the quality quotient," the official said.
With the avionics systems changing at a faster rate leading to technology obsolescence, the makers of Tejas have an uphill task of making the fighter contemporary even in the 2025s. "We will straight away get on to the production phase after the prototypes complete the required test flights. The The Indian Air Force (IAF) support is a huge factor for the Mk-2 project with some cost being shared by them. It shows the confidence the user has in us. Tejas will be the mainstay for IAF in the long run," he said.
The Mk-II project was sanctioned in 2009 at a cost about of Rs 2400 crore and post-design finalisation phase, two prototypes are set to roll out from the HAL hangars. The IAF has committed a minimum of squadrons of Tejas Mk-2.

Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence

makmohan

Re: Astra BVRAAM

Here comes Astra MK-1 , MK-2 is just around the corner says DRDO | idrw.org

idrw.org brings first pictures of Astra MK-1 fired from Su-30 MKI which were captured by High-speed motion capture camera which were installed on Sukhoi-30 MKI using a special pylon . DRDO have informed that Astra-1 will have 44km range and Astra-2 will have range close to 100km, but sources have informed idrw.org is that Astra-2 will not replace former but will be used in combination with Astra-1 by fighter aircrafts of Indian air force.

Eastman

Country flag
Re: Astra BVRAAM

"The missiles have undergone rigorous testing on Su-30 in the captive mode for avionics integration and seeker evaluation in 2013. The project has thus reached the final stage of testing and evaluation, and the Mark-II variant with higher range capability is also planned to be tested by the end of 2014," DRDO spokesperson Ravi Gupta said.
India successfully test fires Astra air-to-air missile - IBNLive

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Wonder why they need to launch a tender, HALBIT showed all these products in defexpo 2012 ..

There wont be much issues getting this stuff, I am sure it will be of Sam tel .. Samtel Avionics & Defence Systems: modern avionics systems, opto-electronics, cockpit displays, rugged displays, multifunction displays

\
Halbit product
From the source :
India's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) has Issued Expression of Interest to Vendors who can Design, Test, and Supply Multi-Function Displays of size 6x8 ( 2Nos ) and 5x5 ( 1nos ) for installation in Tejas MK-2.

India's ADA Issues Tender For Multi-Function Displays To Be Installed On Tejas Mk-2

India's ADA Issues Tender For Multi-Function Displays To Be Installed On Tejas Mk-2

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Home-grown Astra AAM

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said in a statement that the missile test had met all its mission objectives by proving successful separation from the Su-30. The test also proved the indigenously developed data link, onboard computer, inertial navigation system, and the fibre-optic gyroscope.
The DRDO began developing the Astra missile as an all-weather missile in the same class as the Denel R-Darter, Chinese LY-60/PL-11, and MBDA IRIS-T missiles. It exhibits elements of both the French-built Matra R 530D and the Russian Vympel RVV-AE/R-77 (AA-12 'Adder') designs.
The Astra is a single-stage solid-propellant missile that is 3.57 m long and 178 mm in diameter, with a 154 kg launch weight and a 15 kg conventional explosive payload. It has active radar terminal guidance, electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM), and smokeless propulsion.
The missile has been designed to be capable of engaging high-speed targets at short range (up to 20 km in tail chase mode) and long range (up to 80 km in head-on chase mode). At sea level it has a range of up to 20 km but could have a range of 44 km from an altitude of 8,000 m and 80 km if launched from an altitude of 15,000 m.
A Mk II variant of the Astra with a range of 100 km could be tested by the end of the year, he said. The DRDO previously said the Mk II would have a new dual-pulse solid rocket motor that it is claimed would more than double the missile's optimum range to 100 km.
Source : India successfully tests home-grown Astra AAM - IHS Jane's 360

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
IAF and IN has given there requirements for Tejas MK2 are they going to change it again as it is still 45 years away...?
We have a 10 years plan for Tejas MK2 when even todays critics call it a obsolete aircraft or near obsolete will IAF accept it?
IN version of Tejas is in its final stages what is the response fom IN about it?
Can't we speed up 10 year plan as I believe that by then another around 150 A/C would have been retired.?
I think someone said quantity can be the new quality not fully agree to it but the falling numbers would it not be better to go ahead with our own A/C in higher numbers and parallely acquire all the foreign toys available to us...???

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Everything is going smooth, Tejas making towards FOC and its already made half way during IOC-2 ..

IAF have ordered around 14 squadron of Tejas, that is a grand total of 300 aircrafts, Were as Navy ordered around 45 NLCA ..

And lastly about the numbers, Government have its own plans for more production lines for Tejas be in Pvt or Gov, We will have to wait and see ..

====================

As far as i know, The so call critics cannot differentiate between a motor with a Mortar, I would not waste my time after them ..

We have a 10 years plan for Tejas MK2 when even todays critics call it a obsolete aircraft or near obsolete will IAF accept it?

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
@Pulkit
developing aircraft is not that easy .
in case of mk2, we are developing aesa, advance ew suite and much more advanced avionics, with better range
so it will clearly take 10 to 15 years and ignore those critics ,I have debated with one of them and it was funny, he was saying just add catapult and aircraft will be catapult launch. Ignore them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pulkit

Country flag
Kindly lemme know the 14 squad by IAF news as I have not read that anywhere if its there then Its good but I dont see that happening ... Fingers crossed...
The Critics do have few good points we have to agree that next 2 decades are gonna be not PAK based but China and there Tejas is weak....
Sorry I am getting into LCH and Dhruv and Rudra but even they have not been able to satisfy defense forces slowly...our subs are depleting our plans our 5-6 years delayed.... everything in last decade is having bad impact on our defense now....
No speedy induction always crying for money... will we be able to cover the time we have lost under last govt.... hope we do...

when is IAF getting the first lot of Tejas?
Everything is going smooth, Tejas making towards FOC and its already made half way during IOC-2 ..

IAF have ordered around 14 squadron of Tejas, that is a grand total of 300 aircrafts, Were as Navy ordered around 45 NLCA ..

And lastly about the numbers, Government have its own plans for more production lines for Tejas be in Pvt or Gov, We will have to wait and see ..

====================

As far as i know, The so call critics cannot differentiate between a motor with a Mortar, I would not waste my time after them ..

Pulkit

Country flag
I am working in the field on Aero field Sir I know its a time consuming process......
above all 10-15 years is the time with a solid base which sadly we dont have.... .. Tejas has given some stability but thats too is in initial phase....

I know it takes time but I dont understand how they plan it one day they say 2016 then 2017 then 2018 then 2020 and so on....
today DRDO HAL ADA has all the resources to complete everything even MRCA and MK2 paralelly by 2018-19 but they wont... donno why??
@Pulkit
developing aircraft is not that easy .
in case of mk2, we are developing aesa, advance ew suite and much more advanced avionics, with better range
so it will clearly take 10 to 15 years and ignore those critics ,I have debated with one of them and it was funny, he was saying just add catapult and aircraft will be catapult launch. Ignore them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles