Ad Seeking ‘Only Muslim, Christian’ Candidates Kicks up a Row

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Free Karma, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Ad Seeking ‘Only Muslim, Christian’ Candidates Kicks up a Row - The New Indian Express

The ad itself

[​IMG]

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

4. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

If it was for operational reasons that they would hire Christians and Muslims than I agree with the supermarket owners. However, they should not have put an ad asking for only Muslim and Christian candidates. They could have interviewed all and selected from Christian and Muslim candidates.

5. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Ad is hard core secular, but Ray and Slash are not appearing as much better.

OMG, ruckus created when a jain housing society did not let in muslim tenants. Remember? This time the secular worm will not crawl out of their cracks.

6. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Regular Member

Wow... sickularism at its best... Just imagine the repercussions if it was other way around!

This is a blatant lie... Why can't they hire with a pre-condition that selected candidates are expected to work on festivals?

Abhijat likes this.
  7. Ray

Manish Tiwari and Abishake Singhvi would then be profitably employed. ;)

Not to forget that great romantic champion, Digvijay Singh.

I would not say that it is a lie.

During festivals, people do want to go and enjoy with their folks than be deprived of the fun and religious rituals.

Even in the Army, which is a disciplined force, one is swamped with applications to go on leave during the festival or even harvesting time.

8. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Regular Member

Sir, I agree that people do prefer taking day off during a festival... However, I am aware that in luxury hotels and corporate sectors (especially in BPOs), its a common practice that potential employee is briefed in strict terms that he is expected to work on the weekends and Indian festivals, and is hired only if he agrees to that. I feel this should be the right approach.

9. Ray

I would not dispute that.

However, are you aware of the pay that these Malls give to their workers?

To be frank, it is a pittance.

The only good thing is that it makes the workers, who are not of a very high economic profile, a chance to be 'with the Joneses' and gives them confidence, what with all grooming and interpersonal skills and politeness taught. The Malls do wonders that way.

But pay? A pittance!

That is what makes the difference.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Irony is it calls itself fair and friendly store in that ad.

11. brational

brational Regular Member

the ad is for a butcher shop. Probably the shop is selling beef!

12. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

Maybe it's the modern media, but it's really annoying to see the first reaction to everything be outrage. The business in question has a valid concern, and clearly they didn't go about it the right way; but that is because India doesn't have established human resource policies as yet. This of course will change as the economy advances and employers have to incorporate a diverse workforce to keep their businesses competitive. However situations such as these have to be considered as learning cases for future policies.

This would actually be subversive and unfair. Moreover it would merely perpetuate the standard Indian problem of sweeping all uncomfortable situations under the rug instead of addressing the problem.

I'm glad that this business was open about their needs because then the problem could be identified and addressed in a rational manner.

13. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

@Energon I doubt this will change. I 've seen Muslims (esp Bdeshi) use Hindu names and even get Om tattooed to improve chances in the labour sector (and riot insurance?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  14. sydsnyper

sydsnyper Senior Member Senior Member

That is because you do not understand that the mall owners explanation is a farce.

Hindus in Kerala, unlike north india, celebrate two main festivals - Onam & Vishu. Onam is a 10 day affair and Vishu is probably a 1, 2 or 3 day celebration. Diwali or other festivals are not a big deal anyways.

Now, Vishu (harvest festival) is also observed by most christians in the state and the christians would also celebrate easter and christmas + new year. Besides these universal holidays, each temple or church has certain days marked for temple or church festivities. Which makes it impossible to accept the mall owners explanation that the Hindus need more holidays and hence he needs non hindus to staff his shop while his workers are gone. In fact if this really was a problem for the mall owners, they should not even hire christians.

Secondly, he can better achieve this by setting an undertaking to their employees on leave policies, complimentary day offs for working during festivities.

Thirdly, like for this mall owner, most if not all employers in India have to deal with labour management during the higher number of festival holidays in the country. They cannot simply restrict hiring to people of certian religious denominations.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  15. Energon

As in because employers prefer to only hire Hindus?

You may be right. I don't know the supermarket's owner's true motive in wanting to hire just Muslim/Christian billing clerks.

I do however find an employer's need to have people of various faiths in the workforce to be credible because it provides the option to arrange coverage without having to offer added incentives like extra pay or complimentary off days.

16. Ray

What's so special about people with a religious identity?

Is to to suggest religion give some special attributes and skills?

If so, you are right.

17. sydsnyper

sydsnyper Senior Member Senior Member

@Energon -

Without trying to sound dogmatic, I do not think religious equilibrium was his motive for putting up the ad. He could have simply put up a general advertisement and only chosen to hire christian or muslim candidates (which in itself is wrong).

(**slightly off topic, but related**) In fact kerala has a marked trend in land deals, muslims will buy land from anyone who can sell but will only sell to muslims. It has been heard of and I personally know of at least four such examples, one of them as early as 1996. This trend in itself has created a lot of concern among the non-muslims in the state. I wonder if discrimination like this is Stage 2 of some convoluted strategy....... just thinking...

18. Energon

?? Nothing, I made no mention or insinuation of religion coming with special powers.

I did however say that:
    • It is better for employers to be open about a certain issue even if they're going about it the wrong way. As opposed to just hiring Christians and Muslims on the sly as you suggested in the earlier post.
    • Employers tend to look for people from various backgrounds to ensure coverage during cultural/religious holidays without having to offer concessions like extra pay or complimentary paid vacation etc.

19. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Obviously, and its not necessary that they are bigoted, the muslims could think they will have a better chance at employment.(esp bd refugees)