Actual tele-density is 41 not 66 percent: Study

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by SixSigma1978, May 4, 2011.

1. SixSigma1978

SixSigma1978 Regular Member

We have to be vigilant about this - over inflating our figures only makes us look bad in the end.

Source : http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/Actual_teledensity_is_41_not_66_percent_Study-nid-83038.html

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  3. SixSigma1978

SixSigma1978 Regular Member

Source : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/telecom/indias-300-mn-mobile-phone-ghosts/articleshow/8158007.cms

4. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Yeh, but the 'subscriber'-'subscription' discrepancy shows up in all country connectivity records.

The number of people with multiple cellphones is minimal. I'd estimate in the region of 3-12 million subscribers. And even then, on the flip side, there are customers using the same cell phones. Children using their mother's cellphones for instance, or business partners using the same telephone line. School children in the cities are a particularly big group among these. If you want to measure actual tele-density as demographic connectivity, VLR may not be the best measure to use.

Also, I think a dynamic statistic would serve to give a better picture than a static statistic. If, for example, we knew how many people recharged their SIM's over a six-month period, we'd know how many subscribers recrudesced.

Furthermore, it's likely that a majority of the subscribers in the 'grace period' will recharge their SIM's before disconnection. I mean, you don't just suddenly have a cellphone and stop using it once your sim's expired, do you?