Accommodate India in permanent UNSC says France

blank_quest

Country flag
Accommodate India in permanent UNSC says France - Frontier India - News, Analysis, Opinion

By (FINN) Frontier India News Network | September 26th, 2012 | No Comments »
New York: French President Francois Hollande has stated that his country is keenly interested in the expansion of the UN Security Council, noting that India is among the countries that need to be accommodated in the enlarged body. In his first remarks to the world body, the new French president said yesterday that Germany, Brazil and an African nation should also be given permanent seats on the expanded Security Council. "It should be done to better reflect the current status of the world," Francois Hollande told the 67th UN General Assembly.

India's bid for permanent member of UNSC is backed by permanent members namely France, Russia, United Kingdom and United States. China, has expressed increased role for India in United Nations, but stopped short of its support for India's permanent membership. Ironically, it was India which let China take up the UNSC seat, which was initially offered to India after Taiwan vacated it.

51 nations and the African Union have openly supported the Indian candidature to the UN Security Council. The lone opposition comes from Pakistan.

India has been elected seven times to the UN Security Council. currently India has been elected to serve in UNSC from 2011 to 2012 as it received 187 of the 190 total votes. Indian role in UN Peace keeping Force is a factor cited by most countries for their support.

India holds the second largest population, 9th largest economy, third largest in Purchasing Power Parity, 3rd largest armed forces, in the world and is a nuclear weapons state. India is also the world's biggest democracy. It is a secular country with world's largest Hindu community and the world's second-largest Muslim population.

Read more: Accommodate India in permanent UNSC says France - Frontier India - News, Analysis, Opinion

prahladh

Respected Member
51 nations and the African Union have openly supported the Indian candidature to the UN Security Council. The lone opposition comes from Pakistan.
dude, get off world's back.

ashdoc

Country flag
Question is whether India deserves a permanent seat in the security council.......my answer is it does NOT.

A country which is regularly mauled by its smaller islamic neighbour ,bullied by china ,where the large part of the population is veg-eating and effeminate,where a gandhi who gave 55 crores to pak ( which was used by pak to finance the invasion of kashmir) is honoured as ' father of the nation '..........a nation which has singularly failed to protect its borders over a thousand years ,where a muslim minority calls the shots inspite of some of them being in open cahoots with pakistan is hardly qualified to be on the same table as the high and mighty

India is not even the mouse that roared......it cant utter even a weak whimper......

ashdoc

Country flag
the security council is about security ,which can be handled only by countries which are themselves secure.

we have to give security ,or decide about others' security ,to be a member of permanent seat inner circle.

what security can we give to others , considered that we get bullied by our neighbours constantly .

to put it simply ,we are too effeminate to give security to others .

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I agree. We are not building and projecting the kind of image perceived, when you talk about a permanent member of the Security Council.
But in hindsight I believe that with us being a (visibly) softer cog in the wheel, nations around the world think we'll be a good balancing/sensitizing power in the setup that otherwise looks out of balance, sometimes irrational.
UNSC has enough bullies already and (though it might be a necessity out of the nature of organization) many are not liking this at all.

drkrn

Question is whether India deserves a permanent seat in the security council.......my answer is it does NOT.

A country which is regularly mauled by its smaller islamic neighbour ,bullied by china ,where the large part of the population is veg-eating and effeminate,where a gandhi who gave 55 crores to pak ( which was used by pak to finance the invasion of kashmir) is honoured as ' father of the nation '..........a nation which has singularly failed to protect its borders over a thousand years ,where a muslim minority calls the shots inspite of some of them being in open cahoots with pakistan is hardly qualified to be on the same table as the high and mighty

India is not even the mouse that roared......it cant utter even a weak whimper......
well a country and its heritage does not lie in its borders but its history and people
first india is a peace loving country and is the only country that has not waged wars against any nation in past few thousands of years but never is afraid of defending its independence
india is the country which shown the world ay of peace and forced british to leave india with principle of ahimsa

over years and years of our history we taught people how to live

we obliged to all international rules at any cost and won the confidence of many nations at u.n

winning 187/190 votes for a security council seat itself shows the value of india on international stage

many may tie this to India's recent economic surge,but remember india was accepted as a major leader even in the past by many nations at a point where its economy is nothing

if you say about wars ,we lost only 1 war that to by an over whelming military force,but never is afraid to defend its own land and people

its the faultless(majority) track record that kept india at a very high stand on international stage becoming acceptable even to the 2 different poles.

Nagraj

call me a skeptic but we are getting little ahead of ourselves!
we might deserve this seat in 2-3 decades but right now no!

mikhail

Country flag
call me a skeptic but we are getting little ahead of ourselves!
we might deserve this seat in 2-3 decades but right now no!
and may i ask you why are you saying something like this!:shocked:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
the key word here is "accomodate" - and that is not the way for us

we want to QUALIFY - and on OUR OWN strength, not as part of a group , hiding behind the qualities of others
nor as some kind of a charity deal

indian invitation into the P5 should be to become P6 and not P10 or 12 ...so p5 should become p6 and with veto powers the same as uk.

india should qualify within the next 10 years - or once it gets a few men into space but a serious commitment to poverty reduction with interim results is an important factor - you cant have a permanent member with 40 milion poor - .......that just doesn't gel.

we should not be roped into some "group" thing with south africa ?? you mean MMS is willing to accept that ? what ?? we're going in on par with african countries ? you guys accept that ? not me !

it should be that India qualifies on our own strength as a permanent member and with veto powers , the same as UK
( so india with a space program , which uk doesnt have and an INDEPENDENT nuke program , which they dont have ) doesnt have veto power and the uk does ?

- it is a ridiculous hangover from ww2 of 1945 and things have changed tremendously since then

anything less is a childish washout and we should care less about anything less

Last edited:

Aayush

the security council is about security ,which can be handled only by countries which are themselves secure.

we have to give security ,or decide about others' security ,to be a member of permanent seat inner circle.

what security can we give to others , considered that we get bullied by our neighbours constantly .

to put it simply ,we are too effeminate to give security to others .
Sadly enough i have to agree with you.Indian leaders need to grow balls

KS

Bye bye DFI
Agree with ashdoc 100%. India does not deserve to be in a table with the likes of US, Russia, China etc. Not atleast till it grows some gonads.

well a country and its heritage does not lie in its borders but its history and people
first india is a peace loving country and is the only country that has not waged wars against any nation in past few thousands of years but never is afraid of defending its independence
Biggest bag of BS.

1) You just dont know our history fully. Chandragupta or Rajendra Chola sure did cross the borders,oceans and invade other countries. Whoever says that "India has not invaded another nation in XXXXX years" is just an ignorant.

2) There is nothing to be proud of in not invading any other nation.

india is the country which shown the world ay of peace and forced british to leave india with principle of ahimsa

over years and years of our history we taught people how to live
Man, you are really into it...arent you..? If not for the world war II and Britain being broke at the end of it, all the ahimsa would have been ended only in Jallianwala baghs.

Strong nations do not show the slightest remorse in killing if it demands. India, simply put, does not have that gumption. We allow even our tiny neighbours to bullly us in the name of friendship, diplomacy and that goddamn word ahimsa.

Power flows from the barrell of the gun, not from the stems of roses.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is one good thing I liked about the French. They're the last truly neutral power in the world.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
hazaaro.n Khvaahishe.n aisii ki har Khvaaish pe dam nikale
bahut nikale mere armaa.N lekin phir bhii kam nikale

There are thousands of ambitions that each such wish could consume my life
My desires , and I experience them all intensely, aren't enough for this one lifetime.

blank_quest

Country flag
hazaaro.n Khvaahishe.n aisii ki har Khvaaish pe dam nikale
bahut nikale mere armaa.N lekin phir bhii kam nikale

There are thousands of ambitions that each such wish could consume my life
My desires , and I experience them all intensely, aren't enough for this one lifetime.
congrats ~!

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
They have to vote at the time of voting rather than telling it out in the media.........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles