Aadhar cards not compulsory, don’t give them to illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'Defence & Strategic Issues' started by Vishwarupa, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

New Delhi: In a significant development, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that Aadhar cards are not mandatory even as various state governments insist on making it compulsory for a range of formalities, including marriage registration, disbursal of salaries and provident fund among other public services.

A bench of Justices BS Chauhan and SA Bobde said, "The Centre and state governments must not insist on Aadhar cards from citizens before providing them essential services."

The apex court also directed the central and the state governments not to issue the Aadhar cards to illegal immigrants.

The apex court, while trashing the Centre's claim of Rs 50,000 crore expenses on the UIDAI project, said that Aadhar card is not necessary for important services.

The apex court passed the order in response to a PIL pleading it to examine the "voluntary" nature of the Aadhaar cards. The PIL was filed by Justice KS Puttaswamy, a retired judge of the Karnataka High Court recently.

In the PIL the petitioner had also sought an immediate stay on the implementation of the scheme.

"The scheme is complete infraction of Fundamental Rights under Articles 14 (right to equality) and 21 (right to life and liberty). The government claims that the scheme is voluntary but it is not so. Aadhaar is being made mandatory for purposes like registration of marriages and others. Maharashtra government has recently said no marriage will be registered if parties don't have Aadhaar cards," the petitioner said.

The petitioner asserted that the issue required a meticulous judicial examination by the Bench since it raised questions not only over the government's authority to implement the scheme, but also highlighted the perils of the manner of its implementation.

The Bench accepted his arguments and agreed to hear his contentions on the interim stay as well on Sep 23 while asking the centre and state governments to file their replies.

In its reply, the Centre had earlier claimed that for an Aadhaar card, consent of an individual was indispensable and hence it was a voluntary project, with an objective to promote inclusion and benefits of the marginalised sections of the society that has no formal identity proof.

Aadhar cards not compulsory, don’t give them to illegal immigrants: SC

what will happen to illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, pakistan, Nepal, srilanka & Burma? Also what about those immigrants who are already in possession of aadhar card. Will government withdraw their aadhar & other cards.

A chauhan and maomao like this.
  3. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Re: Aadhar cards not compulsory, don’t give them to illegal immigran

The first problem started when they said that this is for residents of India. It should have been for Citizens of India.

PC was not in favour of the scheme but due to pressure from 10 Janpath he had to silence his opposition.

maomao and A chauhan like this.
  4. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

They wont withdraw aadhar cards of illegal immigrants as govt is taking it as a voluntary step and petitioner has not sought any such relief, further more no illegal immigrant will be taken as an illegal until proven such.

5. Ankit Purohit

Ankit Purohit Senior Member Senior Member

Adhar card is useless ,i don't have,i don't care

AVERAGE INDIAN and sayareakd like this.
  6. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Long walk Elite Member

Just applied for Aadhar Card

:fyeah: I'll Provide my Email ID Phone No Bank Acc no along with Finger Prints , Iris and Photo

7. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

i was about to apply for it, when SC has passed this order.

In a way Aadhar card is good, if used for all the transactions, specially travel in rail and fights, at least govt can easily track people (terrorists).

8. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

I got my finger print and other scans done in april last year. Online I can see my Adhaar No. but have yet to get the card.

9. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

u think terrorist will use aadhrr card.

10. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I haven't applied for it.

11. AVERAGE INDIAN

AVERAGE INDIAN EXORCIST Senior Member

they are useless applied twice 2 years still waiting for my card but that didn't stop me from receiving any govt related benifits

Ankit Purohit likes this.