A trip to India

Soul83

A wish of me is to make a holiday trip to India. Can any of the Indians or someone who was there tell me about the conditions of country, living quality and people there? Where is it safest etc. What i need to see in India (like which temple or city etc.?). Which dish i need to try? What i need to be careful of etc.? What is the best way to get out of your way of being just a distanced tourist but mingling with the locals and explore true indian culture etc.? How much would it cost me from Austria a two weeks trip? And what is best way to travell if you arent with friends and dont know anyone, if you plan alone, should i join a group or like that?

pmaitra

First of all, it is good to hear back from you after your absence.

Indians, sometimes can be insensitive. You should be able to laugh off some seemingly harsh comments, if you are visiting India. I am just giving you a heads up. Indians are good folks, but can be easily misunderstood.

Now, coming to the rest of your queries, please understand that India is a Union of States and Union Territories. Each state has its own language, with some exceptions, such a Hindi, Bengali, and Telugu, are spoken in more than one state, as the lingua nativa. There are different cultures, food, different degrees of social mingling.

One thing you should keep in your itinerary is Taj Mahal. Must visit that.

Other than that, Rajasthan is an excellent cultural experience, while Kerala will give you some of the most pristine beaches.

Whatever you do, I think it would be best you either pick one of the three:
  • North India
  • North-East India
  • South India

Do one part now. When you return again, do another part.

Making friends should not be a problem. You can meet up members from DFI. However, you might not find people here with time to travel with you, or show you around.

Good luck, and have a good trip to India.

I will write more about some of the places that I have visited, that you should consider.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Welcome to India!

India is a huge country and there isn't that "one" thing about Indian culture, people etc. Like pmaitra said, we are a mix of many languages, traditions, cultures depending on the region.

Neo

A wish of me is to make a holiday trip to India. Can any of the Indians or someone who was there tell me about the conditions of country, living quality and people there? Where is it safest etc. What i need to see in India (like which temple or city etc.?). Which dish i need to try? What i need to be careful of etc.? What is the best way to get out of your way of being just a distanced tourist but mingling with the locals and explore true indian culture etc.? How much would it cost me from Austria a two weeks trip? And what is best way to travell if you arent with friends and dont know anyone, if you plan alone, should i join a group or like that?
Ich bin selbst kein Indier aber ich habe manchmal ferien gemacht im Delhi, Mumbai, Agra, Hyderabad, Goa und Kerala und diesen pflatze pkann ich rekomdieren. Qua natur is Kerla so wahr ein kleines Paradis :)
Das essen is ziemlisch gekrautet und heiss, aber sie mussen es versuche. :)
Masala dosa im Suden oder Biryani im Norden und
Fisch im Goa smakt sehr gut. Und King Fischer Bier naturlisch. Trinken sie bitte nur gefalschte wasser.
India is billig, Flug met Emirates kostet nur 500 Euro und drei stern hotel haben sie fur 60-100 euro per nacht. Fur 15-20 euro koennen sie ganze tag vressen und trinken. :)
Es is besser um mit gruppe zu reisen.

thethinker

Country flag
Ich bin selbst kein Indier aber ich habe manchmal ferien gemacht im Delhi, Mumbai, Agra, Hyderabad, Goa und Kerala und diesen pflatze pkann ich rekomdieren. Qua natur is Kerla so wahr ein kleines Paradis :)
Fisch im Goa smakt sehr gut. Und King Fischer Bier naturlisch. Trinken sie bitte nur gefalschte wasser.
India is billig, Flug met Emirates kostet nur 500 Euro und drei stern hotel haben sie fur 60-100 euro per nacht. Fur 15-20 euro koennen sie ganze tag vressen und trinken. :)
Why not mention all of these in plain English? Or is it supposed to be encrypted? There are online translation tools you see.

Gist of all what was mentioned :

"I myself am no Indian but I did sometimes vacation in Delhi, Mumbai, Agra, Hyderabad, Goa and Kerala.
Kerala is a small natural paradise.
The food is spicy and hot, but you have to try it.Masala dosa in the south or in the north and Biryani
Fish in Goa is very good, also Kingfisher beer. Beware of fake water
India is cheap, flight costs only 500 euros Emirates met and three star hotel they have for 60-100 euros per night. For 15-20 euro you can all day drink.
It is better to travel with group."

Neo

Google translation is funnier than my German which I picked up by working a year in Frankfurt and Munich. :lol:
There is.no encrypted message, I thought a reply in Soul83's native language would make him feel welcome in India already. That's all.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
You can do bungee jumping in Rishikesh :yey:

Blackwater

Bhanji mar Gaya neo

Blackwater

As it's ur first trip restrict ur self to limited and imp places like Agra, Ladakh , Goa, Delhi , Bombay, kerela , Rajasthan

pmaitra

Some places you should consider:

Historical Places
Agra (Taj Mahal)
Jaipur
Jaisalmer
Khajuraho
Daman
Mahabalipuram
Kanyakumari

Wildlife
Bandhavgarh National Park (99% guaranteed)
Jim Corbett National Park
Sunderbans (if you see a tiger there, that is the last think you will do in your life)

Hill Railway
Shimla
Darjeeling
Ooty
Matheran

Pristine Nature (hills)
Ladakh
Sikkim
Uttarkhand
Himachal Pradesh

Pristine Nature (sea)
Andaman Nicobar