A train with 50 tankers pulls in late at night, raising a cheer over 300 km away in Latur

cannonfodder

Country flag
It is common knowledge that most hybrid seeds are different from OPV's(cannot be used for sowing). If farmers really make that mistake it is lack of knowledge and information more than anything which can be rectified. The link you provided actually is making an case in favor of hybrid wheat even for small land holders. I just happen to read the conclusion due to lack of time.

My/Navneet's point is simple that high water consuming crops like sugar cane should be avoided in Maharashtra (not making any case for particular type of hybrid/ OPV crop).

Please don't post unnecessarily.

In the light of the ongoing discussion about the suitability of hybrid seeds for small-scale farmers, this paper has analyzed whether farmers can benefit from the adoption of hybrid wheat in a semisubsistence environment of India and what factors determine their adoption. We found that hybrid wheat has a significant yield advantage over OPVs and that its grain quality is well adapted to farmers’ tastes. Against widespread beliefs, hybrid wheat technology does not require higher input intensities, and the technology is not biased towards larger farms. On the contrary, despite relatively high seed prices, smallholders benefit to a greater extent from the cultivation of hybrid wheat than their large-scale colleagues. Access to information and income significantly influence the adoption of hybrid wheat. Individual networks, as opposed to village networks, also play a role in the adoption process.[\QUOTE]

The problem is in the seed. Specialy wheat and pulses which are hybrid. They produce good quantity of crop but then the residue seeds from crop cannot be used for sowing as they lack potential.

More over these seeds are more responsible for making the land barren.

As the hybrid vigor gets lost when seeds are reproduced, farmers have to buy new seeds regularly to avoid yield losses
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.522.1482&rep=rep1&type=pdf

this is the basic reason of drought and suicide of farmers.

cannonfodder

Country flag
India in grip of severe water crisis; government mulls making demand management a priority

NEW DELHI: India is in the grip of a water crisis that has been years in the making even as temperatures shoot up to a scorching 46 degrees Celsius.

With the situation expected to deteriorate further, the government is planning to make demand management a priority by funding drip irrigation for farmers, penalising overexploitation of groundwater and enacting a model water law, an official said, adding that at this level of shortage, China had declared a crisis. "Water crisis is indeelooming large at us," water resources, river development and Ganga rejuvenation secretary Shashi Shekhar told ET.

"If we go by figures, in 2000, we started with 2,000 cubic metres water per person per year. Today, we have reached about 1,500 m3 and in next 15 years it will go to 1,100 m3. At 1,500 cubic metres per person per year itself it is called a crisis. China has declared it a crisis at 1,500 m3/person per year. We are likely to go below that."

Measures to mitigate scarcity head the government's agenda as two failed monsoons have left many parts of the country parched and very little water left in reservoirs.

Shekhar said the crisis has been in the making for many years as traditional ponds and water bodies have not been maintained while industrial demand along with water-intensive agriculture had ravaged groundwater reserves.

In Maharashtra, one of the worst-affected states, water is being transported by train to parched areas, and a debate is raging over using it for irrigating sugarcane or in processes such as making beermaking rather than saving what's left for drinking purposes. A maximum temperature of 46 degrees Celsius was recorded at Titlagarh in Odisha, with the India Meteorological Department forecasting heatwave conditions persisting over the next week or so.

DRIP IRRIGATION Shekhar said drip irrigation was necessary to curtail demand and the government had to support farmers in this. "So I am saying that if you ask farmers to take such a risk of sprinkler, drip irrigation, change in crop pattern, it becomes difficult," he said. "They don't have thr type of money to take that sort of risk. So the government will have to come to take the responsibility. When people see development and income rising they will follow."

He said similar steps had succeeded in Greece, where the government had fully funded a drip irrigation programme and paid for seeds, recovering 10% of the amount from sale of tomatoes in the first year. In the following years, the government continued with 100% funding but gradually increased amount it recovered from sale of produce until the market took over and the area developed.

Water-management initiatives will be launched in Maharashtra, Haryana, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Karnataka, he said. "It is the first time we are moving away from the supply side. We are going to the demand side which is the problem," Shekhar said. "How you change mindset of farmers, incentivise them to move away from water-guzzling crops, take them to the development process and see everyone gets equitable distribution of water is what we will work on. It is right now in pipeline and Cabinet clearance will take place. Hopefully by the end of this year we should start the project."

DARK ZONE, MODEL LAW The government also plans to amend groundwater rules, which specify restrictions that kick in after a region is declared a 'dark zone,' a term for highly stressed areas where the groundwater is depleting faster than it is recharged. In a dark zone, drilling of wells and use of electricity to pump out water is regulated. However, the declaration of such zones faces opposition. Shekhar said the rules would be amended so that restrictions are triggered automatically after a threshold is crossed.

Water management is primarily a state subject, leaving little room for the Centre to intervene but the government plans to enact a model law for water conservation. "We are making a model law which will be ready in next 15 days," he said. "Model law is a framework which means we send it to a state and they may or may not agree (to implement it).

When we talk about river-basin management, it has to be entire basin approach, the allocation, river's economy, river health. We have completely ignored rivers' health. All rivers are dry. If they don't flow they don't recharge ground water."

In the model law, ground water should be given greater importance than surface water, he said. "That is what will give us resilience against climate change. That is what will hold water for 365 days," he said, adding that "85% of drinking water comes from ground water.

Unfortunately in our development process we neglected groundwater, which we thought was in plenty."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...anagement-a-priority/articleshow/51885918.cms

Kshatriya87

Country flag
In North we have Perennial Rivers with abundant waters and Low population.Its unfortunate River Linking is a Pipe Dream

Ever flowing and mighty Rivers In Himachal

Water crisis in Maharashtra Latur

A Bihari friend at work with me says every single year there are floods in Bihar and they cause lots of property/personnel damage. Every one knows and wants that water to be diverted to southern parts / MP etc. so that at least those people can benefit from it and Bihar won't suffer from floods.

Its a pity this still hasn't been done.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
@Bornubus Northern Regions are soon going to face the same drought conditions if the check is not done on time

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/india_water.html
Every few years the northern regions also face less than normal rains. That doesn't mean they will suffer from a drought at this scale. Furthermore, if proper river linking is done throughout India, the whole ground water level will increase and in a few years we won't be affected by rain that much. We can always suck out water from bores.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
BC isko kehte hai ... nikamme logo ka hujoom. They are useless!!!

why cant they simply put a plant to desalinate the sea water?
Cost, maintenance, quality checks, risk of water not meeting the standards, continuous inflow of sea water and outflow of fresh water needs to be arranged.

A long lasting option of river linking is far far better than this.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
This reminds me the days of My town. Nobody was ready to marry their daughter to our town because of water crisis. Animals used to die of Hunger and water. Rich persons of my town spent a lots of money to keep animals alive. At anytime tanker will come and people would rush to the tanker to take water. Laddies will fight for water. BJP government came in. They laid down huge pipelines of water. Situation improved. Now Narmada cannal has come in. There is absolutely no scarcity of water. They gives water twice in a week but for 7 o 8 hours with full pressure. Water will reach to your second floor without pumping.

My farmer friend told me that now there will be almost 60% rise in crops. My town has become very rich. People are very happy.

All credit goes Keshu bhai and NAMO Government.

In a town Morbi, there was a huge crises water. Water was just enough to last for one and half month. Government Issues contract to laydown a pipe line of 45 KM to My group company with a time line of 45 days. This 45 KM pipe line was laid down 2 days before the scheduled date. Town people were very happy. Now there is no crisis.

In my previous company also, a pipe line providing water was build at a rapid pace. 45 villages were provided Mahi water.

In dry areas of kutch, water has reached by pipe lines and Narmada canals. Many dry rivers and ponds are full of water through out the year. Nalsarovar will dry after December and all birds will go back. Now Nalsarovar is full of water through out the year and many species of birds may be seen.

today, If farmers are not committing suicide in Gujarat, it is the timely steps taken by visionary leadership of Gujarat. Work is still going on. RIvers are being linked. The water is dumped in dry rivers of Gujarat.

Dry desert like areas are getting green.

About 3 lakh Small check dams and ponds are build. Gujarat is the only state where the water table is coming up.
I agree. I've seen the progress in Gujarat myself.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
A Bihari friend at work with me says every single year there are floods in Bihar and they cause lots of property/personnel damage. Every one knows and wants that water to be diverted to southern parts / MP etc. so that at least those people can benefit from it and Bihar won't suffer from floods.

Its a pity this still hasn't been done.
Bihar,East UP (few hundred km from Bundelkhand) ,Assam,UttarKhand suffer from floods.We have vast experience in Dam engineering and canals,river linking can be achieved in 10 years if govt is serious.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Man, this is a huge project requiring lakhs of crore and huge planning and survey. Vajpayee had constituted a team of river linking and it was supposed to be completed by 2016 at a cost of 5 LAKH crore. Suresh prabhu was the head. Congress dismantled the team. BJP now has this in their agenda. They will start the work once they have some money.

I think we must take a loan from Japan at a very low interest rate and start the project.
5 lakh crore is nothing. Besides, the money is not taken from a single years budget. The project of this scale is done in phases. May last over a period of 5 years or more.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Central Govt. has planned to construct 500,000 ponds in rural areas.

plus, there are some villages in drought-affected areas of our country and esp. in Maharashtra which are role-models of how to fight off drought. their models need to be emulated.

coming to cities, i guess having a rainwater harvesting plant for each upcoming residential project has still not been made mandatory.
Plans are one thing, execution is another. I've seen canal and irrigation plans for Maharashtra as far back as the 90s. Didn't get executed yet.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I don't think central govt river interlinking project will happen this term, no money.

Maybe next term, if they BJP stays in power.

However state Govt's are free to do those from their budget like how andhra has done.
What about the inland water transport project of 50000 crore? That should help I guess.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
a valid argument i read was, regular tending to these ckt-grounds also takes up water, then whats so special with IPL. even if there's no IPL, the grounds would usually take up water anyway. is it true? i don't watch and follow ckt so dont know very much.
Yes it is. But that is necessary. We can't just neglect one field of infrastructure. It earns a lot of revenue for the country. Plans must be made to fix the water situation. Not stop or hamper other fields.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
What we need to do is to Harness the natural resources such as Water and sunlight. If we do that than half of our problem is solved. Once I heard the news that the water sufficient for 3 years of use for saurashtra and kutch flew to see from Narmada within 3 days. If we harness the water properly, we can do with even 1/4th of rain. however we do not have the proper water management.

I have seen the photographs of vilage ralegan siddhi before and after anna's movemet. Dry desert like village turned into lush green garden with appropriate steps of water management.

The dry water scarce village was turned into a picnic spot. This can happen with each and every village . Water is required is an effort.

People pity farmers. Actually i hold them partly responsible. They are lazy and unwilling to use their brain. They have no co ordination and cooperation. If you remember TV program called Saurtashtra ni Jaladhara. It is the story of dry area turned green by the efforts of villagers near my home town. They bought JCB and surveyed the land and build hundreds of ponds and check dams and turned area into a totally green one. This sort of effort is required. However those lazy idiot farmers prefers to suicide rather than make an coordinated effort.

It is very necessary some leadership may emerge from village who work in this area. There are village management institutes but they have not produced the required leadership.

Sawmi Ramdev and patanjali make this movement a mass movement and turn the destiny of the country and farmers in particular.

Yesterday i read the news that one district of Gujarat produced Rs 300 crore of pomegranates. Kutch is a desert district. However they are getting rich by farming. In south Gujarat also, Farmers have palace like bunglows.
Some body need to take the leadership and make some right efforts. If proper steps are taken, it is not at all difficult to turn Vidarbha and other parts of Maharashtra drought free for ever.
Yes. Even the village I come from, the farmers are filthy rich. For the most part at least. Newly launched cars are delivered there first, sometimes even before we get to see them in Mumbai. So you get the idea.

But last couple of years rainfall shortage is clearly affecting them as well. They are switching to new methods of irrigation. They are using small rubber/plastic hoses with holes at regular intervals for controlled water supply to crops instead of the conventional methods where you fill in entire trenches with water.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Bihar,East UP (few hundred km from Bundelkhand) ,Assam,UttarKhand suffer from floods.We have vast experience in Dam engineering and canals,river linking can be achieved in 10 years if govt is serious.
Exactly. That water can be diverted to central India efficiently. Also, I do not know the scope of this new project the government has started for 50k crores. Inland water transport. Maybe that involves building canals for ships to move ? If yes, that should help as well I think.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
What about the inland water transport project of 50000 crore? That should help I guess.

Inland water ways is asset creation, Which creates multiple employment and revenue streams for govt.

If inland water ways succeed, govt will have more money to pump into the drought hit areas.

With a gujju at the helm of things, you can more such uncomfortable prioritizations happen.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Plans are one thing, execution is another. I've seen canal and irrigation plans for Maharashtra as far back as the 90s. Didn't get executed yet.

'cause those irrigation plans were for irrigating 'money-plants', aka irrigation-scam. ;)

the work's already underway. announcement was made well after the work had already begun; creating assets under the rural job guarantee scheme + for water-conservation under MGNREGA.

IIRC in Raipur distt. under MNREGA, the Govt. has rallied villagefolk for creation of ponds and the work's going on in full swing.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Yes. Even the village I come from, the farmers are filthy rich. For the most part at least. Newly launched cars are delivered there first, sometimes even before we get to see them in Mumbai. So you get the idea.
you must be from the Pune belt! :hat:

AnantS

Country flag
Every few years the northern regions also face less than normal rains. That doesn't mean they will suffer from a drought at this scale. Furthermore, if proper river linking is done throughout India, the whole ground water level will increase and in a few years we won't be affected by rain that much. We can always suck out water from bores.
Then you do not know water situation in Northern Regions. Its never been all hunky dory in NW. Portable water has been an issue. Even in Himachal, you have a lot of land which is deprived of portable water. Handpumps do not suffice, and water storage tanks fall short. You have to live in those areas during summer to know the pain :)

Chinmoy

Country flag
Cost, maintenance, quality checks, risk of water not meeting the standards, continuous inflow of sea water and outflow of fresh water needs to be arranged.

A long lasting option of river linking is far far better than this.
I am looking for the video where Rahul baba described in details why inter river linking should not be done as it is geographically not feasible or something like that.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Then you do not know water situation in Northern Regions. Its never been all hunky dory in NW. Portable water has been an issue. Even in Himachal, you have a lot of land which is deprived of portable water. Handpumps do not suffice, and water storage tanks fall short. You have to live in those areas during summer to know the pain :)
Oh. Didn't know we had a water problem in Himachal. My bad.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles