A Siachen map. Output of my timepass !!

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Ok first my discaimer. This is not some serious stuff. :)
I just didn't have much to do in the office and so was loitering around on google maps :p
I've only labeled the passes, tops (called kangri) ridges etc. and drawn the (almost correct) borders where I felt like.
Thought someone might want to have a look. Please view the image in a separate web page to expand into high resolution.

I can explain the map to certain extent if something is not clear.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

Oracle

Vir, could you please point out the whore-houses across the LoC. Need to export Gonorrhea.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
LOLzz, whore houses ... :D
Well its all there in the map as far as the northern sector is concerned. The ones to the left/west of the border are your whore houses :becky:
I only know about the features or otherwise important areas that either sides controls. PA has:
a) On top the Sia Kangri. They have an Artillery position here
b) Bilafond Glacier immediate south-west of Bilafond La Pass on the map. They have another Artillery position here. You can see it as a hood in the otherwise diagonal border.
c) Goma where PA base camp is located. It is further south west to Bilafond glacier.
d) Then little south to the base camp is Chulung. Its said that Benazir once visited there, as far as few kms east of Chulung.
e) Gyong glacier little south-west of the Gyong La pass. They have another Artillery position here.
f) Sherpi Kangri.
g) Just south to K12 (in India) in map, is the Baltoro ridge (under PA control)

Did you try opening the map in high resolution? I will try to mark these wherever they aren't yet in the map sometime soon.

There's a hell lot of never ending debate on whether capturing Siachen then was and maintaining it today is a good idea. The justification given for maintaining IA presence in Siachen is that:
a) The ones at heights are only observatory outposts and not heavy settlements. There cannot be any further reduction of cost/infrastructure there without threatening the security of the glacier. Although we have some artillery there and so do the PA.
b) Pulling out of the glacier and around would mean that in case of conflict PA can cross over to access Leh via the Nubra valley, Shyok valley and Khardung La. It then becomes a "for now" tough, yet unguarded passage into India occupied Kashmir.
Glacier as a destination may not be useful to some but as a passage it would be. More than ever in the coming decades when enemy (PA/PLA) army's technological and logistical improvement would make it less difficult to sweep across the highest peaks and glaciers and run down via the river valleys right into the town of Leh.

Down a bit I was also able to box the POK area the IA captured permanently in 1971. There are 4-5 villages in there. :)

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

mayfair

Great job Virendra.

Pukis moan about Siachen conflict and their most forward positions are no where near the glacier. They should remember this as the humiliation on the Saltoro ridge.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I dont understand what this is all about?

The map does not expand to high resolution either.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Save the pic at your system GK. It will be stored in original (high) resolution.

Firefox: Right click on the image and select "View Image". When the page redirects to image url, hover your mouse pointer over it, you'll see it turn into zoom in-out pointer.
I Explorer: Right click on the image and select "Save picture as".

There's a story about those 4-5 villages which IA captured in 71. A Pakistani soldier who fought in 65 was from one of these villages and his son is now in the Indian Army :)

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I dont understand, you named these places? How do you know these places?

mayfair

Save the pic at your system GK. It will be stored in original (high) resolution.

Firefox: Right click on the image and select "View Image". When the page redirects to image url, hover your mouse pointer over it, you'll see it turn into zoom in-out pointer.
I Explorer: Right click on the image and select "Save picture as".

There's a story about those 4-5 villages which IA captured in 71. A Pakistani soldier who fought in 65 was from one of these villages and his son is now in the Indian Army :)

Regards,
Virendra
You are talking about Turtuk aren't you? The only piece of Baltistan that India currently holds on to.

A nice travelogue about the place that mentions those four villages Turtuk Diary

If only the brave Ladakh scouts were given a longer rope, the entire region (i.e. 16 villages) would have been in our hands.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
If only the brave Ladakh scouts were given a longer rope, the entire region (i.e. 16 villages) would have been in our hands.
True. That wasn't the first time it happened. The boys of 3 Jat who had crossed Ichogil canal and capatured Batapore at outskirts of Lahore in 1965 couldn't get any reinforcements. They had to fall back on eastern side of Ichogil when the enemy laid a counter attack.
Of course that was Pakistani land but .. technically its still an opportunity lost.

Regards,
Virendra

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How come I can't see the map?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles