A Marine's View Of What Is Really Going On in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Yusuf, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Mar 24, 2009
    This young man is articulate and has a flare for
    colorful language, and descriptive prose....Scorpions, Chiggers & Sand
    Fleas/great letter, must read!

From a Recon Marine in

From the Sand Pit. It's freezing here. I'm sitting on
    hard cold dirt between rocks and shrubs at the base of the Hindu Kush Mountains
    , along the Dar'yoi Pomir River, watching a hole that leads to a tunnel that
    leads to a cave. Stake out, my friend, and no pizza delivery for thousands of

I also glance at the area around my ass every ten to
    fifteen seconds to avoid another scorpion sting. I've actually given up battling
    the chiggers and sand fleas, but the scorpions give a jolt like a cattle prod.
    Hurts like a bastard. The antidote tastes like transmission fluid, but God bless
    the Marine Corps for the five vials of it in my pack.

The one truth the Taliban cannot escape is that,
    believe it or not, they are human beings, which means they have to eat food and
    drink water. That requires couriers and that's where an old bounty hunter like
    me comes in handy. I track the couriers, locate the tunnel entrances and storage
    facilities, type the info into the handheld, shoot the coordinates up to the
    satellite link that tells the air commanders where to drop the hardware. We bash
    some heads for a while, then I track and record the new movement.

It's all about intelligence. We haven't even brought
    in the snipers yet. These scurrying rats have no idea what they're in for. We
    are but days away from cutting off supply lines and allowing the eradication to
    begin. But you know me, I'm a romantic. I've said it before and I'll say it
    again: This country blows, man. It's not even a country. There are no roads,
    there's no infrastructure, there's no government. This is an inhospitable, rock
    pit shit hole ruled by eleventh century warring tribes. There are no jobs here
    like we know jobs.

Afghanistan offers two ways for a man to support his
    family: join the opium trade or join the army. That's it. Those are your
    options. Oh, I forgot, you can also live in a refugee camp and eat
    plum-sweetened, crushed beetle paste and squirt mud like a goose with stomach
    flu, if that's your idea of a party. But the smell alone of those 'tent cities
    of the walking dead' is enough to hurl you into the poppy fields to cheerfully
    scrape bulbs for eighteen hours a day.

I've been living with these Tajiks and Uzbeks, and
    Turkmen and even a couple of Pushtuns, for over a month-and-a-half now, and this
    much I can say for sure: These guys, all of 'em, are Huns...actual, living
    Huns.. They LIVE to fight. It's what they do. It's ALL they do. They have no
    respect for anything, not for their families, nor for each other, nor for
    themselves. They claw at one another as a way of life. They play polo with dead
    calves and force their five-year-old sons into human cockfights to defend the
    family honor. Huns, roaming packs of savage, heartless beasts who feed on each
    other's barbarism. Cavemen with AK-47's. Then again, maybe I'm just

I'm freezing my ass off on this stupid hill because my
    lap warmer is running out of juice, and I can't recharge it until the sun comes
    up in a few hours. Oh yeah! You like to write letters, right? Do me a favor,
    Bizarre. Write a letter to CNN and tell Wolf and Anderson and that awful,
    sneering, pompous Aaron Brown to stop calling the Taliban 'smart.' They are not
    smart. I suggest CNN invest in a dictionary because the word they are looking
    for is 'cunning.' The Taliban are cunning, like jackals and hyenas and
    wolverines. They are sneaky and ruthless, and when confronted, cowardly. They
    are hateful, malevolent parasites who create nothing and destroy everything
    else. Smart. Pfft. Yeah, they're real smart.

They've spent their entire lives reading only one book
    (and not a very good one, as books go) and consider hygiene and indoor plumbing
    to be products of the devil. They're still figuring out how to work a Bic
    lighter. Talking to a Taliban warrior about improving his quality of life is
    like trying to teach an ape how to hold a pen; eventually he just gets
    frustrated and sticks you in the eye with it. OK, enough. Snuffle will be up
    soon, so I have to get back to my hole. Covering my tracks in the snow takes a
    lot of practice, but I'm good at it.

Please, I tell you and my fellow Americans to turn off
    the TV sets and move on with your lives. The story line you are getting from CNN
    and other news agencies is utter bullshit and designed not to deliver truth but
    rather to keep you glued to the screen through the commercials. We've got this
    one under control The worst thing you guys can do right now is sit around
    analyzing what we're doing over here, because you have no idea what we're doing,
    and really, you don't want to know. We are your military, and we are doing what
    you sent us here to do.

Saucy Jack Recon Marine in Afghanistan Semper Fi
    "Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share".
    Send this to YOUR FRIENDS so that people here will really know what is going on
    over there

3. shom

shom Regular Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Read it from the link,,,,awesome just awesome,,,,
  4. Ankit Purohit

Ankit Purohit Senior Member Senior Member

Jun 20, 2012
    The worst thing you guys can do right now is sit around
    analyzing what we're doing over here, because you have no idea what we're doing,

Thats Right people never understand soldiers emotion ,courage,discipline
    boris likes this.
  5. LordOfTheUnderworlds

LordOfTheUnderworlds Regular Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Nice read. But not very long ago, these same savages were supposed to be brave mujahideen warriors and honorable men fighting the evil communists, shoulder to shoulder with Rambo. And didn't those freedom fighters valiantly fight the Indians to liberate Kashmir and Russians to liberate Chechnya? Actual, Living Huns, huh?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  6. SilentKiller

SilentKiller Regular Member

Jan 20, 2013
    They only care for one thing in world, American Interest...
    And i salute for them for their patriotism!!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    boris likes this.
  7. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Sep 28, 2011
    The Recon Marine seems to be a one-man team tracking muj to their hideouts. Is that possible?

Also wonder where he watches so much TV.

But the point is made. Newsmedia report only friendly casualties and a withdrawal date, nothing about the mission or its success or failure.
  8. boris

boris Regular Member

May 2, 2012
    Amazing post, hate those morons who say "give terrorists human rights, stop drone attacks".
  9. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Apr 17, 2009
    Interesting anecdote and quite realistic given the frustration such situations throw up and so is @WG's remark - the Marine being the One Man Army!