A Happy Ending - Migrating Sikhs find peace in Karachi

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
A good story - happy ending, one had got tired of reading sad stories. People have shared the same land for centuries .

KARACHI:

Known as a city of migrants, Karachi and its inhabitants are not usually considered the most welcoming hosts but for Hakeem Sardar Manmoon Singh Peshawari, a Pashto-speaking Sikh from the Khyber Agency, it has become home to his family and practice.

The young hakeem from valley Tirah spends his Wednesdays at the Hakeem Peshawari's clinic at Masan Chowk – a Pashtun area near Karachi port – prescribing medicines to a growing line of patients.

The clinic at Masan Chowk is one of many – with education in herbal medicine from Peshawar, the hakeem now attends to around 1,200 patients visiting his clinics in different areas of the city. "I make Rs50 from one patient," said Peshawari. "People from all communities and religions visit my clinics."

He is among the few Pashto-speaking Sikhs in the city who migrated from Khyber Agency due to the worsening situation in Afghanistan and surrounding tribal areas after the 9/11 attacks in 2001.

"I was in Kabul in late 2001 but it became impossible to live there. That is when I moved to Karachi and opened a private clinic in Hub," explained Peshawari. "Later, I shifted to Clifton."

Apart from his nine family members who live with him in Karachi, the rest are in Peshawar. "We are all Pashtuns and our forefathers came from Afghanistan. We are original Sikhs and have been strictly following our religion for centuries."

Though Peshawari and his family had to relocate from the Khyber Agency, their reasons had nothing to do with their religion. "Around 25,000 Sikhs live in Tirah and the Muslim Pashtuns there are proud of us and respect our beliefs," Peshawari told The Express Tribune. "If we were not living in their areas, we would have left this country ages ago."

Finding new homes

Pramjeet Singh, a 40-year old hakeem also hailing from Tirah, is another Pashto-speaking Sikh settled in Karachi. "I grew up in Tirah and my family, all Pashtuns, has been living there for centuries," said Pramjeet, who runs his clinic in Landhi.

Despite his Pashtun background and language, he has never ever faced any problems in Karachi due to his ethnicity. "I have always been welcomed in all areas of the city – whether dominated by Urdu-speaking people or Pashto-speakers," said Pramjeet. "I never felt any hatred towards me due to my background. I can run my clinic freely anywhere in the city."

According to Sardar Ramesh Singh of the Pakistan Sikh Council, around 10 families of Pashto-speaking Sikhs from the Khyber Agency are now living in Karachi. "Most of these families moved to Karachi, rural Sindh and Punjab when the law and order situation in Khyber Agency deteriorated."

Building communities

Business is the main reason why Sikhs choose to live in Karachi, Sardar Ramesh told The Express Tribune. "They visit each other and share their joys and sorrows" he said, explaining that their native language is Gurmukhi Punjabi but some of the Sikhs have adopted the language of the areas they have been living in for centuries. "Sikhs from Sindh speak Sindhi while those from FATA and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa speak Pashto."

Pashto poet, writer and critic Prof. Dr Raj Wali Shah Khattak told The Express Tribune that although Sikhs are not Pashtuns by origin, they speak the language and share some of the cultural traits.

"I don't think the Sikhs have roots in any of the known 3,500 Pashtun tribes," said Khattak. "But they have been living long enough with the Pashtuns and follow parts of their culture. In my opinion, they should be acknowledged officially as Pashtun Sikhs."

Published in The Express Tribune, February 11th, 2013.

cloud_9

Country flag
Though Peshawari and his family had to relocate from the Khyber Agency, their reasons had nothing to do with their religion. "Around 25,000 Sikhs live in Tirah and the Muslim Pashtuns there are proud of us and respect our beliefs," Peshawari told The Express Tribune. "If we were not living in their areas, we would have left this country ages ago."
That's a huge population :thumb:

"I don't think the Sikhs have roots in any of the known 3,500 Pashtun tribes," said Khattak. "But they have been living long enough with the Pashtuns and follow parts of their culture. In my opinion, they should be acknowledged officially as Pashtun Sikhs."
Here comes the in house racist :pound:

Pashtun = Muslim = Real Pashtuns
Pashtun = Sikh = Fake Pashtuns
Pashtun = Hindu = astaghfirullah

:pound::pound:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
That's a huge population :thumb:

Here comes the in house racist :pound:

Pashtun = Muslim = Real Pashtuns
Pashtun = Sikh = Fake Pashtuns
Pashtun = Hindu = astaghfirullah

:pound::pound:
well thats true

Pashtun is only when the person is muslim.
if a pashtun leave islam.he's no more a pashtun

the reason i say that you cant term SRK as pashtun.just putting off khan name with himself doesnt make anyone pashtun

Tolaha

Farhan dude, just a few days back, weren't you claiming that Pashtuns are muslims onlee? And now you talking about sikh Pashtuns! :confused:

Tolaha

well thats true

the reason i say that you cant term SRK as pashtun.just putting off khan name with himself doesnt make anyone pashtun
SRK comes from a family of Pashtuns whose class and status cannot be matched by any Pashtuns in Pakistan today! Not the fake pathans you see normally in Pakistan!

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Farhan dude, just a few days back, weren't you claiming that Pashtuns are muslims onlee? And now you talking about sikh Pashtuns! :confused:
they are not officially acknowledged as pashtun sikh.read the post above..though the guy said they should be.

SRK comes from a family of Pashtuns whose class and status cannot be matched by any Pashtuns in Pakistan today!
SRK might be from any pashtun family we don't care.
but unless and untill he's not a muslim we cant term him pashtun

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Sikh are no doubt dil and jaan of pakistan
Ok so how about you do something practical to PROVE your love for Sikhs:-

Make a Sikh as PM
Make a Sikh as President
Make a Sikh as Army General
Make a Sikh as Air Chief
Make Sikhs holding important positions in Govt and Administration
Make Sikhs as ministers of your states.
Make special Sikh Regiments
Embrace Sikhism.
Unify Punjab and make Lahore as capital and invite Mr Badal to take over as CM.

India LOVES Sikhs and shows TRUE LOVE to Sikhs by doing all above.

If you cant do anything from the above then gtfo because we all know you dont love Sikhs.:pound:

Last edited:

cloud_9

Country flag
well thats true

:facepalm:

I don't see the Arabs coming up with this analogy or are the races in Pakistan so pure that everyone wants to be a part of it :pound:

Arabs = Muslims = True Arabs
Arabs = Christian = Fake Arabs
Arabs = Jews = astaghfirullah

Comment from the blog.Maybe our in house real pathan @farhan can explain this :pound:
Dr. Raj Wali Shah Khattak is not absolutely correct, there are both ethnic Pashtuns and Non-Pashtun Sikhs. There were conversions to Sikhism from some tribes way back in late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries from some tribes namely Khalils, Mohmands and even his own the Khattaks. Since the Sikhs do not use the family names that is one of the reasons that most of us do not consider them ethnic Pashtuns. But there is truth in what this Sikh Hakeem is claiming regarding his ancestry.

Last edited:

Tolaha

they are not officially acknowledged as pashtun sikh.read the post above..though the guy said they should be.

SRK might be from any pashtun family we don't care.
but unless and untill he's not a muslim we cant term him pashtun
So sikhs cannot be pashtuns. SRK cannot be pashtun... fine let's say... So Sir, do you regard Bacha Khan as a Pashtun? World over, other than in the sub-continent, he is the only Pashtun that people are aware of!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
:facepalm:

I don't see the Arabs coming up with this analogy or are the races in Pakistan so pure that everyone wants to be a part of it :pound:

Arabs = Muslims = True Arabs
Arabs = Christian = Fake Arabs
Arabs = Jews = astaghfirullah
There was a comment by a Paki ... something like if a Turk were not muslims they would be still turks... same with arabs would be arabs if not muslims etc but what would be a Paki if they leave Islam...

Can anyone post that comment here?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Shah Rukh Khan is an Orkazai or something like that!

and is related to the King of Afghanistan!

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
So sikhs cannot be pashtuns. SRK cannot be pashtun... fine let's say... So Sir, do you regard Bacha Khan as a Pashtun? World over, other than in the sub-continent, he is the only Pashtun that people are aware of!
Indeed
and so does the SRK.because he's not a muslim.a person who takes his childrens to read hinduism holy books before reading Quran pak.cannot be termed muslim
hence not a pashtun at all even if he's pashtun by origin

bacha khan was not pro partition but he was a pashtun because he was a muslim

you must understand that for being a pashtun you should be muslim as well.you cant term everyone pashtun if he/she puts khan into his/her name

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Shah Rukh Khan is an Orkazai or something like that!

and is related to the King of Afghanistan!
a quick search on wiki

his mother wasnt a pashtun.hence he wasnt a complete pashtun at all.apart from being muslim

cloud_9

Country flag
Sounds funny when a convert talks about racial purity :pound:
After reading this I'm pretty convinced Islam originated in Pashtun areas of Pakistan and the prophet was a pashtun. This is a conspiracy by Arabs to take the glory away from Pakistani Pashtuns meanwhile in Afghanistan they have their own views about Pakistani Pashtuns :D

Global Defence

New threads

Articles