A fellow traveller, Prashant Kishor is much more than an election strategist for Nitish and Lalu

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ezsasa, Nov 21, 2015.

1. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

Lets Track this guy Prashant Kishor, I am of the opinion that there is much more to the story than what is being reported.

By Marya Shakil

It is 6.30 pm on 20 November at 1 Anne Marg and Nitish Kumar's high tea with visiting dignitaries is about to get over. He is surrounded by journalists waiting to congratulate him on his return as the chief minister of Bihar for the fifth time. Kumar had vacated this bungalow, meant for the chief minister of the state, after Jitan Ram Manjhi briefly took over the reins of the state between May 2014 and February 2015 and did not come back to occupy it even after February 2015, when Majhi was unceremoniously dethroned.

Just as he is about to leave for 7 Circular Road, his current residence, Kumar calls for someone - "Prashantji, chaliye chala jaye". The man is Prashant Kishor, who the world recognises as Kumar's strategist and election campaign manager. But today, he appears to be more than just an aide. Kishor walks up to Kumar's car and the two leave together with everyone around wondering just what has the 37-year-old done to a shrewd Hindi heartland politician. Kishor also accompanied Nitish to the swearing-in ceremony. Kumar had reportedly asked his ministers to meet Kishor before the oath-taking ceremony.

[​IMG]
    Prshant Kishor (L) with Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. Image courtesy Marya Shakil

From crafting larger strategy to deciding menu of the high tea to supervising the seating arrangement of the VIPs in Gandhi Maidan, Kumar had briefed his officers to make Kishor the point person. Often the Janta Dal(U) leaders would joke that in a big family wedding the father often delegated all the key responsibilities to his son.

For eight months now Prashant Kishor has been functioning out of 7 Circular Road, having breakfast and other meals with Kumar and visiting 10 Circular Road almost everyday to spend some time with Lalu Prasad Yadav, the key alliance figure.

Sources in the Rashtriya Janta Dal (RJD) privy to Kishor's equation with Yadav say that he was the only one that Yadav communicated with during the course of the elections on a daily basis. "Jaiye, aap par chodte hain" - I leave it to you (to decide) was said to be the common refrain in negotiations over seat-sharing. Both the leaders completely trusted Kishor for sorting things out for them. It was very difficult for Yadav to trust him initially. That's what an RJD leader told this reporter. When Kishor was roped in as a strategist for Kumar he was a rank outsider. But how the unlikely relationship between Kishor and Yadav flourished is a story worth writing about in detail.

One day, sources say, Yadav took Kishor to meet his family. It was way past the midnight. He told his wife, Rabri Devi and two sons, Tej Pratap and Tejaswi, that, "After him (Yadav) the only man that the family should trust and turn to for advice is Kishor." He even ensured that the party symbols given to candidates for contesting will be given to his sons by Kishor. Lalu Yadav even made senior party leaders sit and listen to Kishor and his strategies. Sources in the party also say that a night before the swearing in ceremony on 20th, Kishor got a frantic call from Yadav to pacify his daughters who too wanted their share in the power that has eluded the family for over a decade and a possible ministerial berth. Party leaders feel that the 37-year-old Prashant perhaps could have a dialogue with the next generation of Yadav family better.

During the course of a meeting in Delhi in July, Kumar had told this reporter that Prashant is a Bihari who understands the state very well, referring to his stint in the UN for the Pulse Polio campaign. Kumar appeared confident of the choice he made in Kishor. JD(U) sources say that today Nitish trusts Prashant for almost everything, and even if he moves out of Patna for other ventures in life he will continue to be more than just his confidante. In fact, a party leader told this reporter that Kumar got quite anxious a day after the election results were announced as Kishor was not by his side in Patna. He was traveling to Delhi to spend time with his family on Diwali. 'Prashant was told to return to his family in Patna' said a person privy to this incident.

On the other hand, calls were being made to him from the Yadav residence too as the RJD supremo wanted both his sons to be inducted in the cabinet. RJD leaders observe that Yadav has not agreed to any individual in such a short span of time, particularly with a man who was strategising for the larger alliance, the Mahagathbandhan, and not for him.

Kishor today is also not liked by several JD(U) and RJD leaders as most of those who were dropped from the cabinet hold him responsible for their predicament. RJD sources say it was almost unthinkable for Lalu Yadav to drop Surendra Yadav, a Yadav strongman from Magadh region who has been extremely close to him. For Nitish Kumar it was difficult to drop Shyam Rajak, a Dalit leader who had enjoyed proximity with the CM. Both leaders though appear to have been convinced to think beyond immediate exigencies and focus on a larger political horizon.

In a country/political culture where party/organisation begins well after where the family end, relations of blood or those forged by matrimony almost always trump relations based on shared vision and trust. Like the great family-owned business houses of India, the political class tends to trust its gene pool more than outside acumen and ability. If the Bihar Assembly Election and the role of Prashant Kishor are any indicator, then this could be changing.

From being an election strategist to a government advisor to an event manager to a family counsellor - today, as Kishor will inevitably be planning for his next project, Bihar has witnessed rise of two sons on the surface. Behind the curtains often spilling on the surface is the return of a prodigal son, this one for Nitish Kumar.

http://www.firstpost.com/politics/a...tion-strategist-for-nitish-kumar-2516232.html

3. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Victory has 100 fathers but defeat is an orphan.

PK is a fad and will disappear as and when he looses next elections.

hit&run likes this.
  4. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Lame...........

I have read people at DFI with great understanding of Indian electorate and electoral politic than someone who sides with winning combination with a formidable advantage.

He was working for Nitesh but just handed over keys of Bihar to casteist scamester Lalu who was gasping with grievous power crisis.

5. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

I think you too are giving him too much credit.

Bihar election results have many factors at work, primary being BJP's bad campaign management, presence of strong caste factors and Nitish as a CM face.

Let's see how things pan out for Bihar in the end.

6. hit&run

Not too sure why you think like that, rather I am calling this cult in-making out. My point was if he is such a strategist then Nitesh would have been in better position, especially when Lalu had no such strategist to plan things for him.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  7. Ancient Indian

Ancient Indian Unplugged Version Senior Member

It is like praising make up man for a movie success.

These people are getting dumb day by day.

8. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

Yup, i believe the guy may as well be a passing fad.

I have always loved the idea of an "Campaign strategist" for Hire concept, this guy has just created an industry. Pretty sure there will more success stories by 2019 elections, not necessarily from this guy. would love to see atleast one more success story other than PK before 2019 elections.

Or is it that there is more companies like IPAC in india that i don't know about.

On the down side i am reminded of the story that shahjahan after building the Taj Mahal marvelled at it's beauty and one of the first things he did after completion is to chop off the hands of the craftsmen who worked on Taj Mahal. So that they cannot build such a beautiful monument again. Let's see how this PK's story runs it's course.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  9. hit&run

Such PR firms are more of a business who bet their money on winning sides; hardly strategists who can control the outcome.

A good watcher may be, but never the movers and shakers.

Lalu after colossal 2014 LS loss, broke the ice with Nitesh, gave him a call after doing a simple math on his fingers. Congress-I was already beaten to a pulp that they would have not refused Lalu for any alliance.

Nitesh also lost the 2014 LS election but his mind too. He resigned from CMship which tells how desperate he must have been for revenge.

Nitesh knew he will not survive after next election so he made a deal with the devil 'Lalu'.

This guy PK was not even in the picture when this all happened.

Guess what, Lalu's simple math, he did on his fingers remained plausible, and vote swing or strike rate required for BJP was daunting 4.3 % more than what they got in 2014 LS. JDU leader Tripathi and Sharad Yadav have repeatedly given credit to this arithmetic post election.

Amit Shah's antics did rest of the damage. His biggest blunder was no CM face. It showed his lack of leadership and cowardice because he thought he not going to repeat Delhi mistake.

To prove my point further against PK, BJP maintained its vote share, is single largest party by vote share in Bihar and it lost many seat at very small margin. PK should have dented BJP's vote share, but he didn't.

10. hit&run

Correction: Sorry its Tyagi not Tripathi.

11. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Well PK is now constantly promoting him self through various news media which not the case post-2014 was that his choice or strategy.One can see his pro-image news regularly now on networks18 news media.alos there was some news i think on times now i think

by can some one knows why he his relationship soured with BJP

Well i cann`t understand why you people think Nitish is not in better position today , i mean without his party 71 lalu cannot broke alliance and form gov with rest of parties.Lalu has to take everyone from paswan to indepedent if he broke away from nitish and doesn't takes help of BJP

ON other hand Nitish can easily broke away from lalu and can still form gov with BJP if nitish wants

May be handn`t if for PK nitish would had had done more badly and might lalu family would be heading gov now

BJP might have retain their voteshare but then are just retaining vote share and not increasing it