A battle we must not lose

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vyom, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Forget Anna Hazare. The Jan Lokpal movement can go to hell for all I care. Let us just look at the issues over which the battle between the Government and us citizens is being fought. And then let’s decide where we want to stand, each one of us, on the issue of corruption.

The first question is: Do corruption and bribery hurt you? If they do, do you want a solution? If your answer is yes to both, do you think such a solution lies with an independent authority? Or do you think a corrupt Government can fight corruption on its own, and within its own ranks? If your answer is no to that, then we need to create an independent institution to fight corruption. Right? Well, that’s precisely what Anna is asking for. He is asking for a Lokpal that the Government cannot influence nor manipulate. This is the first battle.

The second battle is over four things. One: Should the Prime Minister come under the purview of the Lokpal? Almost everyone I know thinks he should. A honest Prime Minister wouldn’t care. A dishonest one must be supervised. Or else, we will have cases like Bofors that will never ever be resolved. Two: Should Members of Parliament come under the Lokpal? I have not met a single person till date who thinks that our MPs are so honest that they need not be supervised. My guess is if a referendum is ever taken, Anna will get a 100% yes to this question, given what people think of our politicians and the standards of probity in public life. The third question is even more obvious: Do all public servants need to come under the Lokpal? My guess is India’s answer will be yes, yes, yes. Every day, in every area of our life and work, we are constantly harassed, intimidated and extorted by corrupt Government officers. The poorer you are, the worse is the torture. So yes, every public servant, every Government officer must come under the Lokpal. Question four: Who should give permission to file an FIR against a corrupt judge? If the Lokpal can look into corruption charges against the PM, the MPs and Government servants, isn’t it only logical to expect it to do the same against judges?

The third and final battle is over an even simpler thing: The Citizen’s Charter. Should every Government office have such a Charter which will clearly state which officer will do what work and in how much time? And should an officer who refuses to do his work in time or asks for a bribe to move a file be punished? The Government says a charter a fine but Government servants must not be penalised if they don’t do their work! Anna believes that officers not doing their work in time amounts to corruption and must face the same treatment. Isn’t it rather obvious what India thinks about this?

Do we really need a referendum on these simple, basic issues? I seriously doubt it. Every Indian will endorse the idea of a Lokpal as Anna and his team have envisioned it, with the help of thousands of Indians who have contributed online to the process of drafting the bill.

Yes, there are genuine fears that we should not create yet another monster out there, who will make life more difficult for us than it already is. But even that has been addressed rather adroitly by Anna’s team. It is a complex process, true but it also ensures that the choice is wisely made. And what if there are charges against the Lokpal? Well, there’s a provision there too. You can go straight to the Supreme Court and seek justice out there.

So why are we arguing so much over this Bill? Why is the Government digging its heels in and refusing to listen to us citizens? Why must Anna go on a hunger strike all over again to press home the point that corruption must be fought back? I guess it’s a question of both ego and fear. No one likes to give up the power they have, and certainly not the Government. In fact, it’s always trying to interfere more and more in our lives, grab more and more authority, more and more space. And fear? Well, I guess we all know the answer to that. This is possibly the most corrupt Government we have ever had. It has good reason to be scared.

A battle we must not lose

Anonymous, sob, Tshering22 and 3 others like this.
  3. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

This is true but i cant accept it if the body is above the Supreme Court, SC must be final other wise it will turn into an institutional dictatorship and not an democracy. What if Lokpal becomes corrupt one day? Then only the Supreme Court can save us, the SC relies on evidence and proof for conviction which cant go wrong, atleast most of the time.

StarShip Enterprise likes this.
  4. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Very nicely put. This is a battle between the Government and the Indian citizens. This government has transformed the entire country into its personal cash cow.

5. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

The Lokpal is meant to initiate the probe against the corrupt. The court will pronounce the judgement whether they are guilty or not. The Lokpal initiation of probe would be considered prima facie evidence, and the officer or minister would be obliged to step down, until proven innocent.

There is lot of misconception about the draft prepared by team Anna. I suggest people read it thoroughly before expressing their unfounded concerns.

6. Godless-Kafir

Ministers should not step down till there is some sort of lead or evidence of wrong doing, like witness or some other documentation proof.

The people or opposition parties can miss use such a law to make Ministers step down and simply trouble the government and hamper functioning, not to mention ruin the name of people who may be innocent.

7. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

It is not the people or opposition that would make a person step down, it is the Lokpal, under well-defined procedures and on the basis of prima facie evidence that will initiate the probe against someone, and if he is in a position that he can influence the probe, then he must step down.

This is exactly why we need an independent body, so that it remains indifferent to whosoever has committed the wrong doing, and initiate probe against them. There is hardly any room left for misuse of Lokpal.

8. Godless-Kafir

This will happen only if Prima facie evidence is available right?

It sounds good but all politicians will not support this because it is suicide for them.

9. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Yes, it is certainly not going to be based upon someone's whims.

What do you think they are doing right now?

10. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

In Anna Hazare's support, no tiffin on Aug 16, say Mumbai's dabbawalas

Mumbai: Extending support to social activist Anna Hazare over the Lokpal Bill issue, Mumbai's famous
    dabbawalas (lunch-box carriers) have said there would be no service on August 16 - the day he proposes to start his hunger strike.

"We support Anna Hazare in his fight for a strong Lokpal Bill. On August 16, when Annaji would go on a fast, we have decided to show our support by asking our customers not to give tiffins for delivery," said the president of Mumbai Jeevan Dabbawala Association, Sopan Mare.

About 4,500-5,000 dabbawalas transport some 2,00,000 homemade lunch packs everyday across Mumbai.

"We will meet our customers next week in this regard. However, it is upto the customers whether they want to extend support by not giving tiffin boxes on August 16," he said.

The dabbawalas had also supported yoga guru Ramdev in his fight against corruption.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Regular Member

Very well put Vyom...and I agree to each and every point you have stated. My only fear is if this independent body is also compromised who will control them?

12. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

If you see the provisions in the draft prepared by Anna team, there are many measures to keep a check on that. The most significant being any citizen of the country can file complaint against a member of the Lokpal to the courts, who will be obliged to hear the case.

13. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

Its a shame that a democratic country has to have such bills to curb corruption. But whats got to be done has to be done.

I support Mr. Hazare...

14. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There should be a body which is not above anyone or any institution, but one which can ensure no government interference in bodies that are supposed to be autonomous like the CVC, CBI, CAG etc.

I am fed up with the way the Govt can blackmail all into submission so that they can be devious.

To imagine that the Govt does not prosecute Laloo who is an established thief, or Mayawati or Amar Singh or Mulayam or even the Congress head honchos or who let Mahajan run a riot! All because these blokes can be blackmailed into submission to toe the govt line!!

Now they are after YSR's son! YSR was a confirmed thief. But he was a saint so long as he filled the coffers. Now that his son has told them to take a hike, they are after him'

This hypocrisy must stop and this is what I am against!

Admit Anna's proposal in Parliament, discuss it out and find a via media that ensure that none can fool the people of this country.

Let India see the frauds as they debate and adopt which bill!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    Virendra likes this.