+92 calling? Think twice before you answer

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vyom, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Today I received a missed call from a number with prefix 92, not knowing what this stands for I searched the net and found that its from Pakistan. Just thought I should share this with everyone here, so they can warn their relatives and friends. This is an article in Indian Express. It is four months old but still pertinent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like in many other parts of India, the new trend in online frauds has left the police in a tizzy in Chandigarh too. With residents being duped by callers from Pakistan, the city police’s investigations are hitting a dead-end at the beginning as they are unable to trace the calls. The Cyber Cell of Chandigarh Police is getting numerous complaints from the people who have been duped of lakhs online after receiving a call from numbers starting with ‘+92’.

In a recent case, a retired lieutenant colonel has been duped of Rs 5 lakh in a span of one week. According to his complaint, it all started with a phone call. The caller told this resident of Sector 36 that he had been selected through a lucky draw to have dinner with actor Shah Rukh Khan in Mumbai. For the retired officer, it was a dream offer and he showed keen interest in dining with the star. The next day, the unknown caller told him that he needed to fulfil certain formalities before the dinner. The ex-Armyman fell in the trap and deposited nearly Rs 5 lakh over a period of six days in an account located in the branch of a bank in Mumbai. Once he had deposited the money, the retired officer never received any call, and did not get any response when he tried to call back at the same phone number. He soon realised that that he had been cheated and reported the matter to the Cyber Cell.

+92 calling? Think twice before you answer

3. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Dinner with Shahrukh? That sounds gay... :p

@topic

These cyber frauds are increasing everyday. People get fooled easily due to their own greed. A person can not avoid to answer overseas call in some cases but any suspicious act should be immediately reported.

4. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

And beware of the mails coming from Mexico,Colombia,Cayman,Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Guinea about sharing of "unaccounted" money which was left unclaimed after the Account owners met with a death

Especially Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast.

5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

The amount of mails I get from Africa wanting to share their money with me, I would be richer than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined.

6. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Of course, if they know that they have no connection with that country. Even bigger concern could be getting embroiled in some terrorist conspiracy.

7. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

Pakistan make mis call, i too received that type of call. I search it and found out it was from Pakistan.

8. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Sometimes you've relatives or business clients who will call you. But if there are no connection to that country, it can be avoided. I guess its better to keep handy country codes you've connection with or just install some app which will prompt geographic location of incoming call along with number.

9. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Well i got a call from my close friend that he needed 50,000 desperately to trade in stock market, i thought i help him out and guess what he never payed back or called back. I told him its ok and i was only helping him recover from his debt, later on he asked me 20,000K for his sisters weeding and i gave him 10,000K and did not expect anything strangley he never called back to even say thanks! As if i owed him more money! LMAO!! This is some one i know very very well. People tell me i should learn to trust a bit more, ya right.. GFYS know nothings.

As the saying goes, gain!"The only reason you need to lend money is if you dont want to see the person again!"

I would just wish these thieving monkey farts would at least shut the hell up about their DIVINE nature, go sell that to some kid!! lol

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

I dont understand whyyyyyyyyyyyyy people from army,navy,and airforce trapped. It's utter foolishness to deposit 5 lakh for dinner with sharukh or wat ever.

No wonder its the people from armed forces who were duped in famous green forest and other chit fund company scams.

God give these army people some common sense..:mad2::mad2::mad2:

11. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

People who fall for these tricks ... deserve to be in such position ! I have no sympathy for such dumb-asses !

Why the hell will you pay an unknown man 5 lakh rupees just because he told you are a lucky winner of some ABC contest and the prize is dinner with Shahrukh Khan ? And, that too a retired lieutenant colonel of IA... My god ! Did he gave up his brain after retirement or what.

Dovah likes this.
  12. sandeepdg

Yeah, man ! I some times get 3-4 mails every week, especially from North and West Africa, all of them have the same story. And all of them claim to be a female :) They lost their parents/husband in war in some of the shithole countries, but somebody behind a fortune for them in some bank in Nigeria, or Ghana or Senegal or Dubai etc, and they want to come over to my country and want our help in shifting the money which is never less than 5-10 million dollars here and they will 50 % with me for my services. :)

Now, as a past time I have started replying to them and test their knowledge and keep contradicting them, and ultimately scare them away. :)

13. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Looks like you gave time on your hands these days to reply mate

14. sandeepdg

Yeah, man ! I some times get 3-4 mails every week, especially from North and West Africa, all of them have the same story. And all of them claim to be a female :) They lost their parents/husband in war in some of those shithole countries, but somehow somebody left behind a fortune for them in some bank in Nigeria, or Ghana or Senegal or Dubai etc, and they want to come over to my country and want our help in shifting the money which is never less than 5-10 million dollars here, and help them out of their misery and they will give me 50 % of that amount for my services. :)

Now, as a past time I have started replying to them and test their knowledge and keep contradicting them, and ultimately scare them away. :)

15. sandeepdg

Well, just for fun Yusuf. Of course, I only to one or two who make the extra effort of sending some pics too with the mail. :)
    I possibly don't have the time to reply to all of them.