7th pay commission

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sakal Gharelu Ustad, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

http://www.firstpost.com/business/e...babudoms-steel-frame-superiority-2514062.html

The Seventh Pay Commission has handed a financial bonanza to Central government employees and sent a strong message to dismantle the present hierarchy that is heavily loaded on the side of seniority over performance.

The report says "Civil servants today need to be focused on outcomes, not processes, and have to be more accountable for delivery. They have to be agents of change and to this end need to be more agile, more technically savvy and to be able to ensure the economic and public service reforms that are essential."

A peon's starting salary has gone up by 2.54 times to Rs 18,000 per month and topmost bureaucrat, the cabinet secretary would now draw Rs 2.5 lakh per month plus other perks costing a total of Rs 1,02,000 crore to the exchequer. But there are reasons for the most coveted of the All India Services, officers from Indian Administrative Services (IAS) to read the report carefully because it recommends a tectonic shift in the way the higher bureaucracy functioned.

3. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Shouldn't GoI do away with decadal pay commissions and tie the salary to inflation+performance. Since performance is difficult to judge, it will be inflation adjusted in the end. I never understand the logic behind this.

Pay commissions usually end up increasing inflation.

Peace Lover and TrueSpirit2 like this.
  4. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

That would be a nightmare for government balancing the budgets and a political catastrophe if you try to lower the pay despite lower inflation. Opposition would cry foul and government would be dubbed as anti people, in no time they would release a menifesto claiming bringing back the commissions, people just love freebies.

5. LordOfTheUnderworlds

LordOfTheUnderworlds Regular Member

So it continues. Central government employees salaries are obscenely high and is one of the main reasons of state governments' financial problems over a decade, often bringing them close to bankruptcy.
    On the other hand education and health ministries keep getting ignored and their budget share getting lower.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

IS pay comission recommendations necessary .I donot think just that its recommendations are in public doamin and gov fears for its iamge , gov of the day accepts pay comission recommendations

7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

How can you lower the pay as long as inflation rate is positive? Inflation is usually positive unless there are big macroeconomic problems in the country. So, the employees will always get a +ve increase- 5 or 7% depending on the inflation. Even now they get 3% increment every year. All I am saying is to index the salary growth to inflation and get rid of these pay commission type one time increase.

TrueSpirit2 likes this.
  8. Screambowl

Screambowl Senior Member Senior Member

Their work is also too much. Than in state government. The money is alotted to a state as per the requirement. If they fail to utilize it properly, then in the next budget the amount reduces.

This is the reason. The mismanagement of budget is the cause of state government low budget.

9. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

Seventh CPC recommends higher salaries, OROP, big incentives to short service officers

The Seventh Central Pay Commission (CPC) has proposed a minimum 14.29 per cent raise in baseline military salaries, along with a simplified salary structure that merges “grade pay” with the pay band for each rank.
    In recommendations that could meet the demands of the “one rank, one pension” (OROP) agitation, the report recommends giving pensioners a choice between two formulations. It proposes major incentives to “short service commission” (SSC) officers, to prepare them for second careers after short tenures in the military.
    However, the Seventh CPC is divided on the controversial issue of extending “non-functional upgradation”, (NFU) to the military, which was left out when the Sixth CPC extended NFU to Organised Group ‘A’ Services in 2006.
    Salaries raised
    The starting salary of a sepoy (from “sipahi”, the army’s entry rank) has been raised from Rs 8,460 (plus grade pay, plus allowances) to Rs 21,700 per month. At the other end of the rank spectrum, a lieutenant general will now earn above Rs 200,000 per month.
    New salaries in the lowest grades (Pay Band 1) will be 2.57 times higher than the existing base line salaries. This caters for a multiplier of 2.25 for merging Dearness Allowance (DA) into the salary.
    According to the report, the sepoy’s raised salary (2.57 times his current salary) “includes a factor of 2.25 to account for DA neutralisation, assuming that the rate of Dearness Allowance would be 125 per cent at the time of implementation of the new pay as on 01.01.2016 (January 1, 2016).”
    Higher pay bands will get progressively higher salaries “on the premise that role, responsibility and accountability increases at each step in the hierarchy.” Pay Band 2 (junior commissioned officers, or JCOs) will get a higher index of 2.62; Pay Band 3 (lieutenant to major) will get 2.67; The “senior administrative grade” and “higher administrative grades” (lieutenant colonel to lieutenant general) will get a multiple of 2.72. The apex grade (army commanders) will get a multiple of 2.81, while the three service chiefs will benefit from an index of 2.78.
    While parity has been sought between military and civilian salaries, the former would continue to benefit from “military service pay”, or MSP, to compensate them for the rigorous conditions of military service. MSP for military officers has been raised from Rs 6,000 to Rs 15,500 per month; and for JCOs and other ranks (ORs) from Rs 2,000 to Rs 5,200 per month. MSP is reckoned as basic pay for the purpose of calculating DA and pensions.
    Pensions
    In accordance with its mandate, the Pay Commission has deliberated in detail on military pensions and provided detailed recommendations. It has recommended two formulae for calculating pensions, with the pensioner being entitled to the higher of the two calculations.
    In the first calculation, each pensioner who retires before January 1, 2016 (when the Seventh CPC is expected to be implemented) will first be fixed in the new pay matrix, based on the rank at which he retired, as well as his length of service. Then, after adding MSP to that to arrive at his notional salary, his pension will be half that figure.
    The second calculation will be based on the pension fixed when the Sixth CPC was implemented. That earlier pension will be multiplied by 2.57 to arrive at the revised pension. The pensioner will then get whichever pension is the higher. Since calculating the first figure might take time, the Seventh CPC has recommended that the pension be paid according to the latter calculation till the former is completed.
    As on January 1, 2014, there were 24.1 lakh defence pensioners, out of which 18.6 lakhs were military personnel and 5.5 lakh were defence civilians.
    A proposal that the government will scrutinise minutely potentially extends the benefits of OROP to civilian government employees and CAPFs like the Central Reserve Police Force and the Border Security Force.
    According to the report, “The commission recommends revised pension formulation for civ employees including CAPF and defence personnel who have retired before 01/01/2016. This formulation will bring about parity between past pensioners with current retirees.”
    Short Service Commission
    The Seventh CPC has proposed important new benefits for Short Service Commission (SSC) officers, who join the army for five-year tenures, extendable to ten years, and then a maximum of fourteen years. SSC officers do not earn pension, which becomes payable only to officers who complete 20 years of service. The army needs more SSC officers, who would leave service early, reducing the already stiff competition for higher ranks.
    To make SSC more attractive, the report recommends “severance compensation”, amounting to “two months pay for each year up to 10 years, and four months pay beyond 10 years to 14 years.” In addition, the report proposes “professional enhancement training leave” of two years, to SSC officers opting for another five-year extension.
    This would allow SSC officers to obtain skills for second careers after leaving service, and a corpus to establish themselves in that career.
    In addition, the report recommends that SSC officers are granted concessions for appearing in civil service examinations, including reduction in the number of papers from eight to four; introduction of military science as an optional subject; and age relaxation of five years.
    Non-Functional Upgradation (NFU)
    The Seventh CPC has disagreed within itself on the grant of NFU to the military. The Sixth CPC had extended NFU to Organised Group ‘A’ Services, but not to the military. NFU allows officers who are not approved for promotion to draw the salary of higher promotion grades, as their more meritorious batch-mates are promoted to those grades.
    The Chairman felt that “NFU should be extended to the officers of the Defence forces and CAPF”. However, Vivek Rae and Rathin Roy, the two members, have dissented with the chairman’s views, opining: “NFU till SAG and HAG level, granted to Organised Group ‘A’ Services should be withdrawn. They have also not supported extension of NFU to Defence Forces and CAPFs, including ICG (Indian Coast Guard”.
    The government appointed the Seventh Pay Commission on February 28, 2014. Retired Supreme Court judge, Justice Ashok Kumar Mathur, heads it and its two members are former petroleum secretary, Vivek Rae; and Rathin Roy, director of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP). Its secretary is Meena Agarwal. The commission was to submit its recommendations by December 31, 2015.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/

10. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Don't you know? Pay commission increases GDP growth by 2-3% per annum, and makes India a supa powah. It has nothing to do with inflation. Ask @SLASH . that guy is an expert :lol:

DingDong and Sakal Gharelu Ustad like this.
  11. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

http://zeenews.india.com/business/n...employees-orop-for-civilians-too_1823884.html

So what's the problem? Obscenely high? An IAS officer on his entry in service will get about Rs.75000/- and the top most officer gets Rs.250000/- only. Now compare that to any good corporation. Most of the Govt. employee from lower rung upto lower excutive cadre hardly gets promotions, and gets salary revision only once in a decade, which means at most 3 times in his/her service life.

I am a son of a Govt. employee and I have several family members and relatives in Govt. service. I know the ground realities. It is not as rosy as pictured by the haters. It is not bad either, mind it. But it is not suuuuuupeeeeerb, as everyone seem to think.

In one hand people want the govt. people to be efficient and hardworking, and at the same time gets green with envy if they get a rise! I just heard from my cousin who said that she is going to get about Rs.10K less than what it was expected and she is in lower executive cadre and in her lifetime she cannot expect more than 2 promotions, if she is lucky.

Now, she showed me how at every level of the Govt. from ground up to the top level in every dept. the working actual strength is on an average 50% of the sanctioned strength, which means most of the govt. employees except a few lazy asses are pulling double their weight.

Also, this salary revision is going to be applicable for armed forces too. Do you begrudge the rise in their pay?

tsunami likes this.
  12. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Your love for govt. employees is understandable but a lot of them are lazy asses and do 1/4th of their own work. Given that the sanctioned strength is double of current manpower, no surprise that only 1/8th of work gets done in govt. offices.

I am not against the hike but the way big drama is made every 10 years. I would rather index it to inflation and let it rise automatically every year. Btw, the less money govt. employees make legally, they cover it up illegally by giving shoddy service and encouraging bribe system.

Peace Lover likes this.
  13. jackprince

I have seen first hand how much work a govt. employee has to pull. I have seen my dad going to office in holidays, coming late at night and even after superannuation, he went to office for days to clear pending works. He never took any bribe, that I can attest to given how I hardly ever got anything expensive. My brother-in-law is in Gr-A service and in last 5 years he did not take any earned leave and only handful of casual leaves.

I have also met lazzy asses, but most people I have met are hardworking. Actually, I have been made to understand that the idea of lazzyass that we have about Govt offices is to some extent unfounded. The perception has become so, because everyone wants their work to be done faster anmd when it gets delayed they are angry. But they don't see how much work a Govt employee has to pull. Like what happens in banks. The teller cannot even take a phone call. If he does, the customers get impatient and abusive. Had there been more working strength, pendency would have lees and the cumulative pendency would have gotten even lesser which would have prevented future delays.

14. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

But what about the budget ?? Administrative nightmare ??
    Well, I'm getting your point but you can't increase basic pay without increasing very excessive work.
    But, this is 2015 and we do have very good IT infrastructure now. Don't know about the central govt but when Modi was in Gujarat, govt developed Asia's largest WAN: GSWAN- Gujarat State Wide Area Network. It's one of the achievements of Modi here.
    As of now transactions are being done directly, it won't be that much hard to do what you're talking. In 2005, 1995, it might not be possible.

15. TrueSpirit2

TrueSpirit2 Regular Member

I should have listened to my Mataji, who persistently exhorted me to fill form for Civil Services. Like everyone else, worst case mein, Allied-PCS or lower Subordinate mein to ho hi jata.

Ghar mein bhi thodi izzat hoti, bahar to pura bhaukaal hota.

But, I had to settle for the easiest & quickest way round. Only to come back to criticize those in the system. What a loser attitude.

16. TrueSpirit2

TrueSpirit2 Regular Member

Yes.

1) Pay commissions
    2) Black Money
    3) Per-diem earned by IT folks on foreign shores (or, USD salary, depending upon Payroll)

are responsible for the balloon. Especially, in real estate, healthcare & education.

17. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Govt. budget is anyway nightmare. I do not think it would add too much burden. As I said even now they hike something like 3% every year.

Also finally it is the work of CAs to match the books. I am sure they can handle this. If they can handle it once in 10 years, they can do it efficiently every year as well. The reason for pay increment is inflation and not really the amount of work. Even if the amount of work is same, the wage would be inflation adjusted.

18. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

There are around 47 lakh govt. employees according to the article. Now give them 20% extra income from January. It is an inflation bomb.

Everything else also increase inflation but it does not pump so much money suddenly into the economy.

Mad Indian and TrueSpirit2 like this.
  19. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Your family must be an exception. Almost everyone I have known or seen in govt. services takes and boasts about bribe they take.

As about work, you can go to any govt. office to realize how inefficient they are and how they make you go around in circles just to ensure that you get frustrated and pay some bribe. Now they can sit there even on weekends, but it is just because they are inefficient or have good motives!! Although I know bank employees have to work a lot, but that is exception rather than norm for all govt. dept.

I hope most of the public delivery work moves online and strict deadlines are ensured to make these employees work.

20. jackprince

:lol:

Buddy, I assure you that you are good without being an AIS officer. It's a shitty work. The image is just too bad. The respect would have been out of fear and aprehension of the post you'd have held, not out of appreciation. Very few govt. officer is appreciated, whatever they do. And everyone assumes by default you are a crook.

21. jackprince

May be it is Bengali culture. Bengali people for all their fault, abhors corruption and in this culture accomplishments is measured with merit and skills, unlike North India - where money is the only thing that matters. In Bengal anybody boasting about corruption will be looked down upon.
    That too is not my experience with WB govt. offices. Even in Gujarat I did not see that. One of my colleagues needed a certificate from Gujarat police, and they did it promptly and he offered him money for sweets for prompt work (he was from UP), which the Hawaldar refused stating its his duty. I myself had somework in Gujarat collector's office and there too my work was done within a day.

Most of them are already being done so. However, the design of the networking system is very very poor. Too many bugs. Govt. should move away from lowest bidder crap if it ever wants to be as efficient as the corporate world.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.